Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Games And Such..., and those who play too many
Tarantio
post Jun 26 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #1

NyanNyanNyan

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 191

like i do. i play games almost every day. computer games, roleplaying games, wargames... the list goes on for miles, and my head is a jumble of rulebooks and supplements and stories and other such nonsense. for instance, i could teach ya how to play about twenty paper and pen roleplaying games, give ya hints and tips for well over two hundred computer games... i think i have 200 books full of rules imprinted in my brain.

but i love it. escapism doesnt have to be a really horrible thing that deludes and keeps people from having a real life. it works on the brain, expanding horizons and providing a much enhanced imagination. and the skills learned are very useful in everyday life, and include such educational nonsensities as math, problem solving and all that crap.

so now u see me as a sad old gamer, how many of u are too? tell me about what kinda games u enjoy, how seriously u like em, what they mean to u and whether or not u think your life would be the same without such greats as sonic the hedgehog or dungeons and dragons or warhammer (whatever tickles your fancy).

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sarah the Spider
post Jun 26 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #2

Teeeeeter Tooootter...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 65

Alright, my life is truly a game in itself...

My brother is obsessed with gaming. He works at an arcade, plays his Saturn religiously, and loves Warhammer and Magic.

Ok, here is me:

I love to play my Gameboy and Super NES (Yeah that's the stuff) and I love Poke'Mon games too he he he. My brother got me into Magic, which is really fun as long as my brother doesn't bogart the good decks. My brother and I also play a game called ZOMBIES!!! It is a board game and it is awesome.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
I wish I knew what you were looking for...under the Milky Way tonight.
* Good-bye, Dayan. May angels lead you in.*
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I want so badly to believe that there is truth that love is real.

+Quote Post
Sarah the Spider
post Jun 26 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Teeeeeter Tooootter...

Can you tell I really love my brother?

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 26 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #4

NyanNyanNyan

ooh! zombies!, eh? dont think i know it... who makes it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jun 26 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

I play far too many games...

I'm currently hooked on Zelda - The Wind Waker... but I've had addiction issues with most Final Fantasy games...

Immersive... mmm...

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Sarah the Spider
post Jun 26 2003, 10:33 PM
Post #6

Teeeeeter Tooootter...

Alright Tarantio I am looking at the box...Twilight Creations made it I think. It's a bloody little board game, lemme tell you... They have expansion packs too like an army base with Super Zombies and a Mall too, supposedly...

Go and buy it. It is so freaking cool.

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
poppa.moo
post Jun 26 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #7

Phlurp!

Member No.: 119

Give me Asteroids or Pac-Man anyday. The good old day's of the BBC Micro. Ooh, and Gunstar Heroes on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis, Marble Madness on the NES and Super Mario World on the SNES Love all the classic games. The newer ones with 3D and all that just don't have the simplicity to get me hooked anymore!

--------------------
And when I vest my flashing sword,
And my hand takes hold in judgment
I will take vengeance upon mine enemies
And I will repay those who hase me.
O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand,
And count me among Thy Saints.

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Jun 26 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #8

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jun 26 2003, 03:18 PM)
but i love it. escapism doesnt have to be a really horrible thing that deludes and keeps people from having a real life. it works on the brain, expanding horizons and providing a much enhanced imagination. and the skills learned are very useful in everyday life, and include such educational nonsensities as math, problem solving and all that crap.

Oooh, Tarantio, thank you so much for saying that! My sweetie plays games constantly and is always beating himself up for it because he feels it's a useless skill to have, and since I don't play games enough to understand what can be gained from it, I've been baffled up to this point as to what I can tell him. Now I'll just tell him what you said here!! biggrin.gif

On with the point though. Right now I'm into Animal Crossing for the GameCube. A neverending game that has something different to do all year round, every time of day. And best of all, it's simple to understand for buttheads like me! Since I'm only a very casual gamer, I can never get the hang of games that require extensive maneuvering or quick reactions. Examples of that being the MMORPGs that my partner plays, such as Dark Age of Camelot, PlanetSide, Shadowbane...I'm just too gimped to understand those, and whenever I dare to group with someone in-game, I end up getting us all killed because of my slow reactions and inability to gain any familiarity with the controls.

Other console games I like are The Simpsons Road Rage and (don't laugh) Donkey Kong 64. The ones that are simple enough for me to understand, and short-term enough so that I don't have to commit myself for months before beating it. Well, maybe for DK64, but that's because it's addictive. Or something. tongue.gif

Does anyone else play Animal Crossing?

I also enjoy playing Magic, but only seem to get around to it about once or twice a year. huh.gif It's an extremely fun game when I do get to play though. It's my partner who is the serious gamer though. He's owned or played every gaming console except the Sega Saturn (or one of the Sega systems anyway) and the XBox. Name any console game and he's probably played it and can explain intricate details about it to whomever asks.

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 26 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #9

NyanNyanNyan

QUOTE (Sarah the Spider @ Jun 26 2003, 11:33 PM)
Alright Tarantio I am looking at the box...Twilight Creations made it I think. It's a bloody little board game, lemme tell you... They have expansion packs too like an army base with Super Zombies and a Mall too, supposedly...

Go and buy it. It is so freaking cool.

biggrin.gif

lol ill go see if i can find it at one of my many back-street stores that i visit undercover of disguise and walk out of with brown paper bags...

biggrin.gif jk... but i dont think i hearda that company.. we might not have it, but ill try. always on the lookout for new stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 26 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #10

NyanNyanNyan

QUOTE (MoonlightSavingsTime @ Jun 26 2003, 11:36 PM)
Oooh, Tarantio, thank you so much for saying that! My sweetie plays games constantly and is always beating himself up for it because he feels it's a useless skill to have, and since I don't play games enough to understand what can be gained from it, I've been baffled up to this point as to what I can tell him. Now I'll just tell him what you said here!! biggrin.gif

no problem. i know a lot of gamers who cant let go of the fantasy of the matter, and let it take over their life in really bad ways. its those people that broadcast the image of a gamer as someone who is hooked on something bad. personally i just think it means that games arent for everyone. but even then, its not a hard thing to get over. addictions to games can easily be turned into real, working talents. i read an interview with the developers of neverwinter nights. theyre all gamers who did mods and such in their spare time, more as a hobby than anything else. now... well they designed neverwinter nights for flecks sake! theyre in a very good, high paying, challenging, fun etc etc career that will see them through for the rest of their lives. computers are the future we keep getting told... well games are there alongside (if not ahead) all the way. im fully looking forward to seeing final fantasy fifty years from now.

not just comp games tho - d+d has been around for almost 30 years now (if not more) and warhammer is getting there too... other titles are newer, but no less vigourous in their growth, like the infant "seventh sea" and the best selling "exalted". gamers are here to stay, and the mark theyve made on the world is one that will last.

just tell anyone who thinks that what they do is sad, or pityable; theyre part of one of the biggest things in the world. ever. and THEY are its future. dreams can get u everywhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Debaser
post Jun 26 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #11

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Member No.: 154

QUOTE (poppa.moo @ Jun 26 2003, 11:35 PM)
Give me Asteroids or Pac-Man anyday. The good old day's of the BBC Micro. Ooh, and Gunstar Heroes on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis, Marble Madness on the NES and Super Mario World on the SNES Love all the classic games. The newer ones with 3D and all that just don't have the simplicity to get me hooked anymore!

gunstar heroes = godly...

being a complete 16-bit gaming freak (still got the mega drive plugged in, and i play it way more than my dreamcast) and an ex-warhammer person (into 40k briefly, i never played that much, and i quit because it was too damn expensive, but it was fun for a while), i can say that i've pretty much grown up with some sort of gaming. usually with the consoles, as there's never been a time in my life where i haven't got one...

as for opinions...SONIC 2 IS THE BEST GAME EVER.

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post Jun 26 2003, 11:59 PM
Post #12

I post more than I speak

Member No.: 116

sarah, do you mean magic the gathering?

games... oh god... ok, ive said this before, but in the past, i played a game called everquest, i played for 3000 or so hours, and it was 14 hours a day if i could.... <points to himself> this guy = loser

but before EQ, nothing was different. i still played roleplaying games for long hours. i would still play shooting games and see alot of killing in a short time. i even played online shooting games for 14 hours a day somedays...

i play too much, but not as much lately... im too addicted to this place...

yay for gameboy!! yay for snes!!! woo!!!!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 27 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #13

NyanNyanNyan

everquest... sounds familiar...

i got one called everway...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Debaser
post Jun 27 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #14

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Member No.: 154

i've read about divorces on the grounds that one of them was playing everquest too much...

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post Jun 27 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #15

I post more than I speak

ive also heard of people getting married through everquest...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sarah the Spider
post Jun 27 2003, 01:34 AM
Post #16

Teeeeeter Tooootter...

I play Ever Wars...is that similar, do you know?

I'm an elf...tee hee hee...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 27 2003, 01:57 AM
Post #17

NyanNyanNyan

probably similar, tho i dont know what it is... most rpgs are very similar...

cept the d10 systems from alderac (drool @ legend of the five rings & 7th sea...), and that everway (uses a tarot deck instead of dice) ohmy.gif great things, those ones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jun 27 2003, 03:03 AM
Post #18

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

hrm gee, i wonder if anyone can guess from my av, sig, and custom title what sort of games i like...lol.

but yeah, i don't like only final fantasy....i like others as well. tongue.gif like hrm let's see...dark cloud/dark cloud 2 were decent....and ephemeral fantasia...i just rented that one, but it was rather interesting. i didn't get a chance to finish it...i'd like to. same w/ dark cloud 1, just rented it. i wanna try xenosaga...a guy i know said it was the best rpg he'd ever tried. that seems a pretty good review! hrm what else? bouncer had great potential..but bah i ended it in 2 days. dry.gif oh, there's this one i wanna try, i can't remember the name, but its slogan was "who said all fantasies had to be final?" that cracked me up. i wanna see if its any good or if they're just talking cred.

i only recently got back into playing games again. my parents still have my old OLD NES somewhere..lol. and yeah..it still works! or it did when i tried it bout 2 yrs ago. lol when i got back from nyc i went nuts playing zelda on there. that was fun. i remember the first game i ever ended was the little mermaid on NES..lmao. so hrm kindgom hearts was rather nostalgic for me since there's some mermaid action in there tongue.gif lol. the second game i ended was something with barbie..but erm yeah i haven't gone seeking any nostalgic games involving that.

i gotta say...i just prefer graphics on modern games. so much more fun to look at, for me. tongue.gif plus, meh i tried playing one of the old ffs once...i think it was 4 or somethin....and yeah the story just didn't grab me as much as the newer ones...*shrug* games are definitely easy to get addicted to. i think my family finds me really strange for being so into a video game, but i don't really care, cause i don't find it sad at all. smile.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 27 2003, 10:52 AM
Post #19

NyanNyanNyan

hrm... retro gaming i guess aint for evry1, but i would strongly recommend ff6. its HUGE and the combat system is better than 7 (if a lil bit more limited). but kingdom hearts... gah, i got sooooo hooked on that wen i bought it. im still trying to convince my anti-disney friends to play it, though i wont get very far. i even told them they get to lock mickey in a world of darkness for a real long time, but do they care? gah! i remember sitting there trying desperately to get my level high enough to challenge sephiroth, who btw is just as good as he is in ff7, harder to beat and looks soooooooo gorgeous. best. entrance. ever.

but hey thats just me. i kinda played that game to death. all i have to do now is find the last of the puppies, synthesise the last items... wow thats still like ten hours of play... fifteen maybe >.<

and im going to get eve online soon...

--------------------

+Quote Post
poppa.moo
post Jun 27 2003, 12:18 PM
Post #20

Phlurp!

Member No.: 119

So I take it Kingdom Hearts isn't that good then? laugh.gif

I've been looking at it for a while now, and been wondering whether or not to get it. The Disney thing has put me off slightly, but FF rules. I say this even though Ive only played FFX, but i fell in love straight away!

--------------------
And when I vest my flashing sword,
And my hand takes hold in judgment
I will take vengeance upon mine enemies
And I will repay those who hase me.
O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand,
And count me among Thy Saints.

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 27 2003, 02:19 PM
Post #21

NyanNyanNyan

gah dont let the disney put u off...
donald duck kiks serious ass, goofy is kool... and theres other non-disney characters in it too. most of the main cast are proper ff style characters, and a lot of the support are real ff characters. cloud, aeris, yuffie, cid (all from 7) squall (leon - voice by david boreanaz >.<) and tons more. coughsepfirothcough.
the disney elements really are VERY good and appeal to all, not just disney fans. remember its disney liscence, but its most definitley a square game biggrin.gif.

and yes, you get to fight cloud and squall and yuffie >.<

and two weapons... and a few titans too... bosses = big laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post Jun 27 2003, 04:09 PM
Post #22

I post more than I speak

i hated kingdom hearts... i hated it with a passion... it was boring... all the game was was do your little attack combo over and over and over and over... until whatever your fighting dies.... meh... and the whole disney thing... lame... that really killed the game for me... i thought my little brother and cousin might like the game, them being younger then me and all, THEY were bored by it, and they both like disney crap...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jun 27 2003, 09:00 PM
Post #23

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

lol maybe im a dork, but i still adore disney stuff. ah well i don't care if im a dork! biggrin.gif that's just how i am! lol. i'll always be a kid at heart i think. tongue.gif

i didn't like the fighting in kingdom hearts either cheese (although wub.gif @ ars arcanum, that i liked).....but i thought the story was cute. that'll often keep my attention where the fighting stuff lacks. just look at ff8...ugh @ the draw system, that made me wanna die, but the story.. wub.gif

i'll give ff6 a try, tara. i've also had ff tactics recommended to me by many ppl, so i wanna give that a shot as well...i heard it's a challenge compared to the modern ones. and yeah, i don't wanna wait till freakin NOVEMBER to get a new ff game...blegh. i'm playing 10 over again, but yeah i've already done that like, 9 times..lol. i wanted to play 8 again, but grrrrr the first cd is broken. sad.gif and i'm not really wild about 9..that's okay, up till the 3rd cd...the ending sucked horribly though. maybe i'll play 7 again, only played that one twice so far. hrm. k, i'm rambling..i'll hush now..lol.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 28 2003, 01:01 AM
Post #24

NyanNyanNyan

well... theres a lot of scope out there for rpg fantasy games... most of the best i would say, tho, are non-comp based ones...

after playing such delights as the old middle earth roleplaying game (merp) and white wolfs masterpiece exalted (ok ive yet to play it, but i do the storytelling for it...), im hooked on paper and pen games... even final fantasy sometimes has trouble keeping up.

a warning tho: these are not for every1. they are rather geeky and take up lots of time and effort, especially if you gm for them (storytell/gamemaster/dungeonmaster whatever...). they can be loads of fun, but they can be hard work and such... but the scope for te games is infinite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jun 29 2003, 12:29 PM
Post #25

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

When i play a game, and like it i get addicted, i played windwaker for 3 days straight stopping occasionally to eat and drink, i would have finished it too but i LOST MY DAMN MOFO MEMORY CARD which i'm a little miffed about so i have to play it all again (yippee), i completed starlancer on the PC in a day and a half and i completed metal gear sold 2 on ps2 in about 10 hours. course some games can't hold my attention that long, RTS games bore me...

I did used to collect for 40k, i still have the models, but ever since they changed the rules i havn't played...probably because i'm too lazy to learn some more. besides i just like the paint them...not that i have for a few years.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:39 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!