Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Someone To Run To., Incl:loneliness,illness,family,friends
I_am_the_best
post Jun 1 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #26

Dirty Laundry

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,573

I'm so sorry to hear this Hobbes. Although I've never been in such situation, I think that maybe one day you should also celebrate her life rather than mourn her death? Just a suggestion that was in my head. *hug*

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jun 1 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #27

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 1 2005, 07:21 PM)
Once again, thanks for all your kind thoughts.

At the moment, much of the funeral has been organised (next Thursday). My dad has got onto everything so quickly, it is unbelievable. He's cancelling things here, moving things there, arranging other things elsewhere. I know why this is: because he wants, nay, needs, to keep busy. Whenever he has a moment to just sit back, he feels himself getting upset - so he's up and at it again. This is how my father is, and I don't mind that at all. I just hope he doesn't suddenly crash down after the funeral, when everything is over.

My own feelings are mixed and confused. I know that everyone has their own way of getting through bereavement, and nobody copes the same way. Yet it is still difficult to understand how I feel. I cried a lot when I saw my mum in hospital on her last day, breathing with the mask on. And I cried a lot after she took her final breath. But I've not cried since we left the hospital. I've occasionally felt like it, but haven't. And I've just... got on with life.

I feel bad for doing so. Guilty, I suppose. I'll watch some comedy on television, or eat a lot, or feel like playing squash, etc. Just the usual stuff. I feel like I should be sitting in one place, eating nothing, going nowhere, and crying all day. But I don't. Perhaps I am the same as my father... just get on with things.

When my grandfather died, I didn't feel anything at all really until the end of the funeral. Then I cried. (I wasn't with him when he died)

But it doesn't make me feel better for not feeling worse.

When my grandmother died I was away at uni. I went home for one day and then returned to school to complete my coursework. Everyone told me to get an extension but I just couldn't do it. I HAD to finish my work. That was all I had on my mind. That and the fact that I was singing at her funeral. I actually organised an extra singing lesson with my teacher in order for me to do it well. On the day I had a huge argument with my sister which again gave me something else to think about. Loss and pain are sometimes too hard to deal with. Keeping busy allows you to choose the time when you are able to grieve (to a point) and also gives you time to reflect on what has just happened to you.

My deepest sympathy and big hugs to you and your family Hobbes

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Jun 2 2005, 03:52 AM
Post #28

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

I...wish I could say something poignant, something that would really have meaning, but all I can say is, I'm sorry that you and your family had to go through this, and I offer you my sympathy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jun 2 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #29

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 1 2005, 07:21 PM)
My own feelings are mixed and confused. I know that everyone has their own way of getting through bereavement, and nobody copes the same way. Yet it is still difficult to understand how I feel. I cried a lot when I saw my mum in hospital on her last day, breathing with the mask on. And I cried a lot after she took her final breath. But I've not cried since we left the hospital. I've occasionally felt like it, but haven't. And I've just... got on with life.

I feel bad for doing so. Guilty, I suppose. I'll watch some comedy on television, or eat a lot, or feel like playing squash, etc. Just the usual stuff. I feel like I should be sitting in one place, eating nothing, going nowhere, and crying all day. But I don't. Perhaps I am the same as my father... just get on with things.

You shouldnt feel guilty, I was the same, until the funeral I didnt feel anything, like not really believing what had happened. I dont think theres anything wrong with doing usual stuff, as long as you dont stress yourself even more trying to keep busy. (I got sent home from my saturday job for crying at customers) ph34r.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jun 6 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #30

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

*Hugs Hobbes*

It'll take time.

*Hugs Hobbes again*

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jun 7 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #31

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

Just a couple of days until the funeral.

All the surfaces in our living room are absolutely covered with cards from people. "Sorry to hear of your loss," "With sympathy," "Such sadness at this time,". So many cards, it is a surprise every day when another one arrives. But it is nice.

My sister and I are currently in the process of making a photographic display board of my mother's life, to be put up at the wake following the funeral. Hopefully, it will be nice. I can imagine it will spark a few tears - it sparked many in my sister whilst we made it.

I seem to still be relatively okay at the moment. I just feel like I'm in a continual dream. But I am kept relatively occupied (gone back to work, arrangements to make, things to do, etc).

Thank you all for your hugs and sympathetic words.

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 8 2005, 09:40 AM
Post #32

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Does the term "shell-shocked" apply?

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jun 8 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Pab @ Jun 8 2005, 10:40 AM)

Very much so

+Quote Post
patback87
post Jun 8 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #34

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

Kind of late, but I know whats its like to lose someone like that I had 3 Great Aunts and 1 Great uncle all die with in a month of each a other a few years back. One of them I was very close with and it is hard to watch that person struggle to live, although to make a little light of it my Aunt knew she was dying and would often say when the nurses asked if she was ok "I'm dying!" I do miss her alot but she was very old 92 if I remember correctly. It was kind of like they were lonely with out each other, the one I was the closest to was the 2nd to last to go, she in her younger years had been the one that took care of everyone, it was almost as if she had no one to take care of anymore and she felt her job was done in a sense, if that makes any sense.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 8 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #35

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 8 2005, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (Pab @ Jun 8 2005, 10:40 AM)

Very much so

Don't feel bad about that. We all deal with things in different ways and (important bit) when we're ready to do so.

I've often thought that the mind has sort-of lock-out system, so that when things get really bad, or confusing, or anything too strong for us to comprehend immediately, that we shut down a little and go onto cruise control. It comes back when we are ready for it. I lost two friends in a fire many years ago, and it was a long time before I could make sense of what had happened in my head. It sounds like you are going on with your life, which I think is the best way of dealing with this. Your mother wouldn't want you to suffer, so just keep rolling until you're ready, whenever that may be. I still feel sad about the loss of my friends, but I know that stopping my own life because of what happened would have annoyed them.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Jun 9 2005, 03:41 AM
Post #36

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

I've experianced that 'numbness' a few times. The most intense time, I remember sitting on the edge of my bed, staring at my wall, and getting up two hours later, not even having noticed that time went by. Other times, it's just like I'm on auto-pilot, just doing what I need to and not thinking about anything. I asked my therapist about it a few years ago, and he explained that it was quite normal, and that the mind, when it suffers a severe enough shock, will soften all emotions, and make people feel like they aren't feeling. After a while, the numbness goes away, and the pain will be there, but it will be when you are ready to handle it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Jun 9 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #37

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

*hugs*sad.gif

I don't know in particular what religion you are, or if this either matters to you but you and your family are in my family's prayers.

*hugs*

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 10 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #38

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

I don't know how I missed this thread over the last few weeks, but I'd just like to add my sincere condolences. Deaths in the family quite simply suck arse.

I wish you and your family many good things, Hobbes.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jun 10 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #39

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Man, Hobbes, I'll just say this: *hugs*

How you can cope, I don't know. For someone of my age, you have my utmost respect for having such a strong character and being able to carry on (to a certain degree) after something as awful as a death in the family has happened.

Hobbes, my thoughts are with you.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
ravein
post Jun 10 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #40

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Member No.: 40

Jesus Hobbes, I am so sorry to hear of your loss! I know how hard this can be. When Heff died I was in shock for weeks. I just basically tried to hold everyone together and concentrate on planning the funeral. It wasn’t till months later that I finally dealt with everything. Some of it didn’t fully materialize till years later. If you need to talk or anything please feel free to IM me. Once again, I am so sorry. I know there are few words to bring your comfort at this time, however I know that remembering all the good times and funny stories seemed to make things less painful for us.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jun 11 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #41

The funeral was on Thursday afternoon. It went well; or as well as a funeral can go. My close family and I were picked up in a limo. to be driven to the crematorium, and I think the common feeling amongst us was nervousness. But as we pulled in, a parked car moved out in front - carrying the coffin. My dad found this image very hard, and was the first to break.

We stood outside, and calmed down as best we could. After a few moments, the rear of the hearse was opened, and the men lifted the coffin out and carried in - with us following behind. Then we took our places at the front.

I don't really remember what order things happened now. I remember a hymn, and feeling tears run down my face as the last verses approached - desperately trying to continue to sing along, but virtually unable to even read the words through my hazy, water-logged eyes. And there were prayers, lots of prayers. And a few speeches from the vicar (?) about my mother: who she was, what she meant to people, etc. I painfully stifled my sobs; allowing the tears to run, but feeling my shoulders and torso shake as I held in anything vocal.

It wasn't until we got outside to the flowers that I let it go, and my body just made all the noise it needed to make. This happened two or three times, as I saw others cry, and as I stood on my own for a little while, and - finally - as I read the cards on the flowers from other people (most notably, my step nephew and nieces - who wrote a very kind, loving card).

And then it was onto the wake... whereby you switch from feeling sad, lonely, distraught and confused - to laughing with relatives, parents' ex-colleagues, and friends old and new. The turn-around in emotion is, in many ways, a perplexing one. But it is clear that, if one just left a funeral and went home, you would sit alone in a bubble of depression. Yet by attending a 'celebration', your spirits are lifted, and you are encouraged to remember good times.

So yes, the funeral and event afterwards went well, with many, many people attending.

Although I am now back into my regular motions of life, I'm sure I haven't yet used up all my sobs. Indeed, I came close at work today, but felt it would be unfair to my colleague to just collapse in tears - even though, in my heart I know, she would have been hugely supportive and, perhaps, somewhat flattered that I felt close enough to her to do so. But no... not this time, anyway.

So... there we are.

Hmmm.

For the funeral we decided only to have family flowers, but asked that if anyone wished to make a donation it would be given to Macmillan Cancer Relief. So far, I think there's been about £300 in donations. So, again, there's the feeling that some good as come from this.

Again, I cannot thank any of you enough for all your thoughts, prayers, and good wishes. It never ceases to amaze me what a kind and caring bunch of people spend their time here, and perhaps now I also realise why people post in this area of the forum... you don't always need advice, per se, you just need to know that someone is listening, and cares.

+Quote Post
patback87
post Jun 11 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #42

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

I know the funeral bit, it is strange that after when you are surrounded by family and friends you seem to take a short emotional vacation and laugh talk about old times.

I know we often still talk of when one of great uncles years ago died and my Great Aunts (all gone now) used to yell at one of them my Aunt Billie who I was close with, because her hearing wasn't the best. Well a cousin I believe of mine was an undercover cop at the time and he was looking pretty shaggy and hadn't shaved, and Billie asked my other aunt why he looked like that and she said "he undercover" well after several times of trying to tell Billie she yelled very loud "HE UNDERCOVER BILLIE!" we all still laugh about that.

I think we need that comic relief once in a while, I know when I'm feeling down the best way for me to feel better is to watch a funny show.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 11 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #43

It's an old saying, but a good one: 'funerals are for the living'. I'm glad that it helped you release some of the feelings.

And yes, we do care. You've been very supportive of my site and what I've been trying to achieve here for many years and I think of you as a good friend. Equally, I've enjoyed getting to know more about you. I remember how happy I was when I heard the surgery on your back had worked! This has been a low point, but it sounds like you're more ready now to let life realign itself into the new shape. It takes time. I'm really glad that these forums have worked to help you when you needed people to write to.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jun 13 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 1,112

I found that my Mother's funeral was very moving. Not that I can remember much of it at all but that so many people were there. One of my Mum's friends, who ironically passed away recently with pancreatic cancer, sang for the funeral and I've always been glad that she did.

*Hugs Hobbes*
It'll take time. My thoughts are with you.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jun 14 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #45

Everyone's heartfelt thoughts are appreciated.

I've come to realise that advice is welcome in any form: from the platitudinal and clichéd to the deeply original and inspiring. It doesn't matter what people say, as long as it's supportive and the sentiments are honest. Nowhere else do the words, "It is the thought that counts," ring so true.

All you guys and gals have been fantastic. Thank you.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Aug 27 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #46

Every couple of years I have to revisit this thread because, without it, I don't remember many of the details: the dates, certain visits, things that were said. I find it both odd and understandable that my mind seems to block the memories from rising naturally, and it's only by reading what I wrote in this forum that I can imagine the moments again. Not that I especially want to... it is just that sometimes I feel like I need to.

And you know what? I still don't feel like I've properly grieved. I cried when she died, I cried at the funeral. I struggle to recall another time. Even now, reading over the thread again and bringing to mind certain things I'd forgotten about, I certainly feel myself well-up but that is all. I would happily just accept that "people respond to grief differently", if it wasn't for the fact that I always feel like I NEED/WANT to cry. And I mean REALLY cry - of breakdown-proportions.

Next year is 10 years.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 30 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #47

Strange to be able to look back so far into the past with digital clarity...

If this place has taught me anything, it's that some sadness just never goes away, you have to learn to live with it. That's okay too - it's not a failure, it seems to be just part of what it means to have really loved someone.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Aug 31 2014, 01:16 AM
Post #48

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I haven't visited the forums in ages... but somehow I did tonight to see your post, Hobbes. I just want you to know you're not alone. I lost my mom 14 years ago. This year, I had a terrible time on the anniversary of her death, when years before I was more or less OK. Lately when I think of her I'm sad that there's so much about her I don't remember, and then I have to push it away again before I become even more upset. My dad and his wife just had a child together, and I'm happy for them and my new sister, but it hurts too. It hurts to know my dad didn't get to grow old with my mom.

*hugs* I'm sorry you're still in pain. I wish I could tell you it gets better. And it does get better, most of the time. But there are still those times when it is so, so painful. And that's why others are there for you. Including me - should you ever need to talk, hit me up on Facebook. <3

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 23 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #49

I come by here every couple of years, and always for the same reason that I have dropped by today: because I can't actually remember the date that my mum died. Indeed, it seems that I wrote pretty much the same thing back in 2014. So it's safe to say that not much has changed! I still don't feel too awful about not remembering the date - it means it doesn't 'loom' quite as badly as it maybe could. And the grief side of things is still bloody confusing.

I feel like I've been 'assessing' things a little more over the past year - trying to figure out the effects of it all upon my dad, my sister, etc. but mostly trying to work it all out in relation to myself. I think there's some progress going on - albeit slowly.

And hey, if nothing else, I had a little cry this morning whilst rereading the events that I posted about some twelve years ago. Those tears haven't really appeared since the actual funeral itself, despite constantly feeling like I want them to. It feels good to cry. Not sure why specifically they came this time around; quite possibly just due to having some wonderfully high points going on at the moment, and then some disappointingly stressful ones too. Life's "emotional rollercoaster" and all that!

Regardless, I'm doing okay smile.gif

I know there's very little activity here now, and there's every chance I'm the only person that'll read this (probably in another year wink.gif ), but that's fine with me. I keep meaning to maybe save a copy of it all, just in case something happens and this little corner of the internet disappears. But until I get around to doing that, there is some comfort in knowing that there is somewhere I can go to read what happened back then. The diary I kept at the time seems to lack everything, and I've recently started thinking that a few years' worth of Facebook messages between myself and friends is probably far more revealing than a diary could be. Just a shame there's a lot of dross to trawl through too wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 18 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #50

.... And this is why I keep this forum running smile.gif

Although I really should work out just how on Earth I can update the code running it!

Good to hear that it's cathartic coming here and rereading things. I don't ever want these posts to disappear, but I do need to get the forums backed up somehow.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 03:21 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!