IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Operation Clark County, Is this a good idea?
Daedalus
post Oct 18 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Pretend you didn't notice

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 556

http://guardian.assets.digivault.co.uk/clark_county/

Interesting idea, although I'm not sure if it's a good one or not. Sure, you might get through to an open minded floating voter, but then, you might really nark Republicans and even Democrats who might see it as unwanted interference. Could be especially risky for the Kerry camp if Bush's supporters in the media get wind of it.

A related link is this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/...1329858,00.html

A good insight into how pig ignorant, zenophobic, and prejudiced some Americans can be.

--------------------
I wub snoo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Oct 18 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

You know what? If an American sent me a letter to try and persuade me to vote one way or the other, I'd probably be pretty pissy about it too.

I lost count of how many references to bad teeth there were. I mean, if you're going to be closeminded and petty, at least base your stereotypes on fact.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 18 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

It's certainly an interesting idea, although one that is probably deeply flawed. As Jon says, it's certainly a situation that is entirely likely to cause offence.

I'm not sure whether it's the mentality of The Guardian readers or of those who are voting for Bush, but it does seem that the most offensive responses have come from Bush supporters.

... And what's with the 'tea sipping' insults? That's not something I've heard wheeled out as a supposed way of offending the British before.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Oct 18 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #4

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

Wow, American's actually live up to their stereotype in those replies. Especially the [mind your language - Mata] racists etc.

Let's take a look:

Have you not noticed that Americans don't give two [and mind the language that you copy into your emails - Mata] what Europeans think of us? Each email someone gets from some arrogant Brit telling us why to NOT vote for George Bush is going to backfire, you stupid, yellow-toothed pansies ... I don't give a rat's ass if our election is going to have an effect on your worthless little life. I really don't. If you want to have a meaningful election in your crappy little island full of shitty food and yellow teeth, then maybe you should try not to sell your sovereignty out to Brussels and Berlin, dipshit. Oh, yeah - and brush your goddamned teeth, you filthy animals.
Wading River, NY

That's another intelligent vote from NY.

KEEP YOUR [yeah yeah yeah] LIMEY HANDS OFF OUR ELECTION. HEY, SHITHEADS, REMEMBER THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR? REMEMBER THE WAR OF 1812? WE DIDN'T WANT YOU, OR YOUR POLITICS HERE, THAT'S WHY WE KICKED YOUR ASSES OUT. FOR THE 47% OF YOU WHO DON'T WANT PRESIDENT BUSH, I SAY THIS ... TOUGH SHIT!
PROUD AMERICAN VOTING FOR BUSH!

I see this smarmy young lad here, who unfortunally tried to shoot his Caps Lock key with his gun, is another person showing us that Americans are thoughful people.

Real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions. If you want to save the world, begin with your own worthless corner of it.
Texas, USA

This was written shortly before a cowboy shooting party. He obviously realises how us crappy brits have free health care and a half decent economy. Oh noes!

Please be advised that I have forwarded this to the CIA and FBI.
United States

Looks like we better watch out, America is going to nuke Russia because this man has forwarded am email. Another Nuclear Winter it is!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Oct 18 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

like mata said, interesting idea, but there one or two well written replies opposed to the idea, I think it could hurt Bush opposition, a vast majority of Bush voters aren't going to change their mind after reading an e-mail from a complete stranger in another country, what are they expecting? intelligent debate?

and do you think someone should tell that person the english were outnumbered by the french? i mean, come ON!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Oct 18 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #6

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

I have no idea who came up with this, thinking it would be a good idea... but I'm rather inclined to give them a swift thwack in the head. No voter is ever going to think for him/herself like this... now even complete strangers have the ability to advance propaganda to one another! Isn't that just peachy...

Oh, and the responses from Americans? Appalling, but unsurprising.

+Quote Post
ravein
post Oct 18 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #7

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

*hangs head in shame*
it gets harder and harder to live in the US everyday.
I think G2's heart was in the right place, but honestly it will only make things whose. No one likes to be told what to do, least of all from another country... just look at Iraq.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 18 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #8

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Pessimism seems to abound here, but I'm going to give it a try. I don't think I'll be trying to convince anyone of anything, but it'd be interesting to see how people feel about the whole thing.

EDIT: Or maybe it already closed and I didn't realise. So much for that.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 18 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #9

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

I did consider it myself last week, in the hope thought that it might be interesting to get the opinions of a complete stranger on the whole process, but I figured that I already spend enough time online debating Bush/Kerry as it is.

I'm just not so sure if there really is such a thing as a floating voter in this election, only people who didn't bother to tick a box (for understandable reasons).

Mu: two points, firstly, the United Kingdom is a nation, not a race, so technically no-one can be racist about us. Secondly, don't make the mistake of meeting their fire with fire. You persuade nobody of anything that way and you end up sounding like you hate Americans, which would be just as bad a position to take as the people that you are trying to condemn.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 05:53 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!