IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where Is Everybody?, They sign up, but don't post... Why?
Quoth(The Raven)
post Oct 21 2004, 03:27 AM
Post #1

Meow!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,296

The other night, bored because there was no one on line to play with, I checked the membership stats. By my count, we have somewhere close to 340 members who have no posts, whatsoever. And of those who have posted, a large number have under five posts. Some of these people have been around since the beginning of the forum! my conclusion is that a number of them are only lurking, and the rest have gone off to greener pastures.

So, the question becomes: How do we get them to join in the fun? And, if we can't, should Mata and the Mods start removing Members who obviously aren't here, anymore (Allowing them to come back, if they choose to, but starting all over, again...)? Does it cost more to have them as members, and would removing deadwood help keep the Matazone going? And, how should the mods decide who is deadwood, should they decide to make cuts?

How about it, Matazone?

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dancing hamster ...
post Oct 21 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Our UAV is online

Member No.: 1,304

Hes got a point! what are you going to do about it matazone?

+Quote Post
Eddie
post Oct 21 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #3

That's 'Sir Guppy' to you

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,387

Hi everyone smile.gif

I have seen in the past the way to get peeps to post is to a good a good debate going, then they feel they want to put their point forward. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Oct 24 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #4

Meow!

C'mon, people! I'm dying, here! Anyone have an opinion?

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
space butler
post Oct 24 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,225

i lurk because i have nothing to contibute to huge 12 page topics...well, either that or im just lazy

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Oct 24 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #6

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

A lot of times, people forget that they were ever a part of a forum. I think that a good solution would be to remind them of their membership.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Oct 26 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #7

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

Yeah, sounds good. And ask them to post in the following week if the want to continue their membership.

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Oct 26 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #8

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

QUOTE (Silver Star Angel of Da Towers @ Oct 24 2004, 05:18 PM)
A lot of times, people forget that they were ever a part of a forum. I think that a good solution would be to remind them of their membership.

I think that's a good idea. I have a nasty feeling that I am a member of at least two other forums besides the ones I visit regularly, and would post there except I can't remember what they are. If I received a reminder of my membership I would go back and post.

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Oct 26 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #9

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,379

Gotta say, I'm terrible at keeping up with forums and certain threads especially. Its been cool here, been welcomed heartily and can pretty much say its been the best site I've come to, but it can be a bit much if you look at some of the threads and even characters that seem to be EVERYWHERE. No geting me wrong here, thats the idea, but for some Noobs it can be too much, they fade fast.

I get distracted to easily. I find it REALLY hard to stay in front of a comp for too long and, me being me, if I feel I HAVE to contribute the subconscious stubborn button gets hit and if I'm not on for a week or two I find it hard to find the time--> Downward spiral.

The friendliness here is cool and extending that with reminder to let people know that you're still there with arms wide open if they've been absent would be a great idea but maybe not with a reply or ya out rule (maybe 3 strikes?)

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 27 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #10

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Don't remove them - they might come back... *sniffle*

I joined way back in the forum's infancy (having been visiting Matazone since its infancy). I posted, then went away for a while, then came back and did some more posting, then went away for even longer. Now I've come back and have taken part a lot more.

I think it is a good thing that we have members who haven't joined and then immediately posted. Although this zone of the forums is a good place to do it, I still think lurking for a good while is the best thing to do - get the feel of the forum, and how people express themselves. You don't want to go straight in, guns-blazing, and have your first post ridiculed because you used text speak and didn't realise it is frowned-upon.

There's more... but I'm not being especially articulate right now, so I'll post again later.

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Nov 19 2004, 05:46 AM
Post #11

Meow!

I wonder how long a thread has to be dormant, before it's removed... Sigh!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 04:14 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!