Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Lost My Bow And Found A Violin!
Pixelgoth
post Oct 22 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Flaps and spins on the spot

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 390

I went to orchestra practice on Monday night and somehow managed to misplace my violin bow. I have no idea how I managed to do it! It's incredibly stupid of me dry.gif In the whole 21 years I've been playing I've never done that. Anyway I think either someone has stolen it (why is beyond me!) or has it for safe keeping either way I may or may not see it again.

I decided to see how much it would be to replace my bow so I went to my local music shop this morning and asked them. I also enquired about a new case as mine is a little bit worse for wear. I was quoted around £70 sad.gif I suppose it's worth it but I wasn't sure. I am hoping to be able to borrow a bow but have had no luck and the Xmas concert is looming sad.gif

Anyway, while I was waiting I noticed a gorgeous purple violin on the wall smile.gif It's made by Rainbow Violins and they do them in all sorts of colours. Perhaps loosing my bow was fate and I am meant to buy a whole new set for £120? It's only an extra £50 and I've always wanted a funky coloured violin since an old violin teacher has a psychedelic rainbow one many years ago biggrin.gif I was thinking green as that's not too alternative for my orchestra and I love metallic green right now.

Ed has also said he'd paint some funky artwork on my new case too smile.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Oct 22 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

Psychedelic Violin! Kick ass biggrin.gif Go for it. I wanted a psychedelic saxophone but i've never heard of a painted range of brass instruments. £120 does seem reasonable for an instrument you can admire and play and be the funky section of the Orchestra. Go go go Psychedelic Violin!

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Oct 22 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #3

I've pretty much decided to do it. I'm sure I'll find the money from somewhere. I just rang them to see if they could get me a bow by Monday as that would keep me going and I could then buy a new violin after Xmas but I wouldn't have it before Thursday which is a little late really. I think I'll pop back to the music shop on Monday and if the green violin is still there then I'll call it fate and buy it biggrin.gif

My credit card company are gonna' love me this month what with my trip to NYC too laugh.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Oct 22 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #4

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

£120 is quite cheap for a violin is it not? I remember mine cost around £300, although that was about 6 years ago. I also remember someone that went to our school who was a very good fiddler being told that they really needed a 'good' violin, which was around £1000. Have to admit, coloured ones do look good though.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Oct 22 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #5

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Oct 22 2004, 01:00 PM)
Psychedelic Violin! Kick ass biggrin.gif Go for it. I wanted a psychedelic saxophone but i've never heard of a painted range of brass instruments. £120 does seem reasonable for an instrument you can admire and play and be the funky section of the Orchestra. Go go go Psychedelic Violin!

You know, if you find a local seller instead of a chain store, you might be able to inquire on whether the people there might know a person who knows a person who might be able to paint something on your saxaphone for a small fee. If you were in SC, I'd tell you to buy a sax from my godfather and I would paint it up any way you liked for free! In fact, you might be able to get someone to put painted wooden discs in where the abalone discs go in the keys. It's MUCH easier to shape wood than it is to shape abalone, and the repairman might get a kick out of doing something different for a change!

I hope you get your green violin, Pixie! Being the different person in the band/orchestra is always the most fun! ::is now planning on painting dragons up and down her wooden clarinet::

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Oct 22 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Oct 22 2004, 03:23 PM)
I hope you get your green violin, Pixie! Being the different person in the band/orchestra is always the most fun! ::is now planning on painting dragons up and down her wooden clarinet::[/color]

Thanks biggrin.gif Just a word of warning, I'm not sure if it works the same for clarinets as violins, but you can't just slap any old paint on a violin as it stops playing properly. These violins are made specially. Shame really otherwise everyone would have psychedelic violins laugh.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Oct 22 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #7

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Oct 22 2004, 03:23 PM)
[color=green]You know, if you find a local seller instead of a chain store, you might be able to inquire on whether the people there might know a person who knows a person who might be able to paint something on your saxaphone for a small fee.

If I played as much as I should or had any money whatsoever I would do it as soon as I can. But when I do have mon-ay I'll ask. Thanks for the tip biggrin.gif

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Oct 22 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #8

Whoopsie! Double post!

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Oct 22 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Oct 22 2004, 03:37 PM)
Thanks biggrin.gif  Just a word of warning, I'm not sure if it works the same for clarinets as violins, but you can't just slap any old paint on a violin as it stops playing properly.  These violins are made specially.  Shame really otherwise everyone would have psychedelic violins laugh.gif

With clarinets, it's not the way the wood is on the outside that influences the sound, it's the shape of the inside where the air goes through. Hence why clarinets can be found in both wood and plastic. With violins, I believe the quality of the sound comes not only from the shape of the inside of the instrument, but in the thickness of the wood also. Could be wrong on that, though. I've never repaired nor played a stringed instrument before.

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Oct 22 2004, 04:21 PM)
If I played as much as I should or had any money whatsoever I would do it as soon as I can. But when I do have mon-ay I'll ask. Thanks for the tip biggrin.gif

If you can't find anyone locally to do the job, I might be able to hook you up!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Oct 22 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

Can I join the funky instrument club? I am a singer so my instrument is me. I dye my hair and have a tattoo!!!! PLease!!!

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Oct 22 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #11

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

That sounds absolutely awesome biggrin.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Oct 23 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #12

<3

Member No.: 806

Sweet! I've always wanted a green violin. They are so cool. But the one I have is beautiful too. Yay for your new violin! smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Oct 23 2004, 01:54 AM
Post #13

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Oct 22 2004, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Oct 22 2004, 03:37 PM)
Thanks biggrin.gif Just a word of warning, I'm not sure if it works the same for clarinets as violins, but you can't just slap any old paint on a violin as it stops playing properly. These violins are made specially. Shame really otherwise everyone would have psychedelic violins laugh.gif

With clarinets, it's not the way the wood is on the outside that influences the sound, it's the shape of the inside where the air goes through. Hence why clarinets can be found in both wood and plastic. With violins, I believe the quality of the sound comes not only from the shape of the inside of the instrument, but in the thickness of the wood also. Could be wrong on that, though. I've never repaired nor played a stringed instrument before.

Yeah, on violins, everything effects the sound quality, down to the wood, the stain, and the varnish on the wood.

Hope you enjoy your new violin, Pixie! Sounds cool. As a side note, I've always loved the look of my violin because it's made with quite a dark brown wood.

What orchestra do you play with?

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Oct 23 2004, 02:10 AM
Post #14

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Actually, I've just been doing how instruments work in lectures, it's very interesting biggrin.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 24 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #15

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Just a quick thought, but is it possible that the orchestra would be miffed at the less formal appearence of a purple violin?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
monosodiumglutem...
post Oct 24 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #16

may contain peanuts

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,342

rainbow violins?? Damn, I picked the wrong instrument.. Let me know if there are any rainbow clarinets, though.
For the bow, I have an inkling of what may have happened. Once on a police show, there was this guy who was found dead in a sewage treatment plant on the bottom of one of the tanks, and someone had shoved a voilin bow up his
perhaps this is the wrong place to say this.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Oct 25 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #17

MSG, if you have a friend who is a good artist, ask them if they'd like to paint the bell and barrel of your clarinet. It won't affect the sound quality and it's not a piece where the paint is likely to get chipped or dinged up during repairs. It would work best if you had a wood clarinet, but I know there are some kinds of paints that would work fine on plastic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Oct 25 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 24 2004, 04:39 PM)
Just a quick thought, but is it possible that the orchestra would be miffed at the less formal appearence of a purple violin?

Possibly but it's not an issue as it'll be green laugh.gif Seriously though if they have a problem with it then I'll use my plain wood one. Besides that'll sound better anyway.

I thought £120 was cheap so I asked the music shop and apparently it's because the company use cheap basic Chinese violins (plus they must get some sort of discount for bulk buying). It won't sound as good as my current one which has been loved and played for over 15 years. My violin cost over £350 (brand new) with case and bow in 1989 and apparently a renovated old violin now costs around that too. Violins have obviously gone down in price as a basic one would cost between £120-£190 according to the music shop.

BTW my bow has turned up! biggrin.gif The leader of the 2nds had it all along (either by mistake or safe keeping I don't know) but it's safe and sound and I'm getting it back tonight. The orchestra I play at is called Endcliffe Orchestra in Sheffield.

It really felt like I had an arm missing all week which might sound daft but people who play/love their violin might understand? smile.gif

Also my Mum has said she wants to buy me one of these coloured violins for Xmas now so not only do I have my bow back but I'm getting a new violin for free biggrin.gif

YAY! *skips around at thought of new violin*

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Queenie
post Oct 25 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #19

YAY!!! Garfield my cute little honey bun!!

Member No.: 341

Wow... your lucks all in!! laugh.gif

--------------------
SQUEAK BED SQUEAK!!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Oct 25 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Queenie @ Oct 25 2004, 12:14 PM)
Wow... your lucks all in!! laugh.gif

Today it would appear so. I just hope that that translates to hearing about my job(s) interviews biggrin.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Queenie
post Oct 25 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #21

YAY!!! Garfield my cute little honey bun!!

Member No.: 341

Good luck about that too!! laugh.gif *hugs*

--------------------
SQUEAK BED SQUEAK!!

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Oct 25 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #22

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 1,371

omg.. i have the funkiest most out of tune saprano sax.. it fell on the floor and now its all bent and funny biggrin.gif hahahaha

--------------------
If I die before I'm waked, allow me lord to rock out naked :b

VOTE BROTHER BLACK SHEEP.. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Oct 27 2004, 10:29 AM
Post #23

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

i think its awsome that your getting your new violin! smile.gif i hope you dont lose anything else either....

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 3 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #24

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

I always wanted my grandad's piano for my own, and to find out if I could paint it...it'd be the most splendid piano ever made...*dreams* biggrin.gif
Good to hear someone's parents buy them instruments, mine won't get my bass *sulks*

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Nov 4 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Nov 3 2004, 04:11 PM)
Good to hear someone's parents buy them instruments, mine won't get my bass *sulks*

They only bought me my first violin because they wanted me to play an instrument and to bribe me to keep playing rolleyes.gif This one is probably a thank you for getting back into it smile.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 12:48 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!