Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halloween & Christianity, a question
beleraphon
post Oct 27 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #1

Has too much time on their hands

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,001

Whan I was in my 6th form a friend of mine who was quite a devout christian (daughter of a Cof E vicar) didn't celebrate halloween at all because she was of the opinion that it was a non christian festival, a pagan celebratian and that it would be wrong for her to celebrate, worshiping a false idol sort of thing.

As several of you guys are christian, and seem fairly open to talk about your faith, I'm wondering what your opinions on halloween are, harmless fun or pagan celebration?

For me its the pagan/wiccan New Year, and a great reason to party!
Its also a time when we honor and remember the past and those we have lost, and look forward to the future with hope and love.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Oct 27 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #2

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

To me its just a good reason to wear sparkles, wigs and party my little heart out. I realize that it is a religious celebration in reality. But who needs reality when you have sparkles and liquor. And thats not even to mention the sale candy the day after.
To each there own opinion, but I seen nothing wrong with it. Not that I'm devot Christian or anything, so my thoughts are worth nothing. But it would be a shame to waste such a good holiday on grounds that other people celebrate it in a way that is different from what you go for.

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
tptcow
post Oct 28 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #3

Savior on the Blood Church St. Petersburg, Russia

Member No.: 978

I see no problem with celebrating Halloween as a Christian. Thats about all I really have to say on the matter. However, if the Halloween party Saturday evening is still going to happen (because of what happened tonight during marching rehersal), I might go. I think I might dress up as a Ancient Egyptian deity. I can understand if the party wont happen, I just don't want to be as scared as I was tonight ever again.

--------------------
Western Kentucky University
Facebook
Xanga
Formerly: Trumpetperson

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Oct 28 2004, 02:25 AM
Post #4

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

the original halloween celibration ws a time when people would go out to where there familys were buried... ie caves. and they would bring the bodies home and clean them... they did this out of respect for there dead... and thats the reason why we put up skelotons smile.gif it was then devided into several other hollidays celibrated by several diffrent religions... catholis celibrated it as "all hollows eve" (where we get the name halloween) or just anouther saints day, the pegans celibrated it as a day of spirits and the wiccan/pagen new year (which is partially where the witches warlocks thing came in). and others celibrate it as day of the dead... in which they walk threw the streets wearing masks to ward off evil spirits that would play mean tricks on you (trick or treat, and costumes).

so its harmless fun that several diffrent religions celibrate for diffrent reasons.... but over all its just a good reason to go out and gather large amounts of sugar... laugh.gif

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 28 2004, 03:14 AM
Post #5

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

It's all dependent on the person. Some celebrate Halloween as a harvest holiday type-deal. Some use it to honor relatives who've passed a la Los Dias de los Muertos. For most of the secular world, it's either run around and get candy, go to a party and get wasted or be demonic and throw a concert (sometimes a combination of the three). For me, Halloween is a damn good excuse to wear costumes and look silly without getting too many weird looks.

I know the celebration of Easter has pagan roots (not the holiday itself, but the time period and some of the things we associate it with). I use that to celebrate the ressurection of our Lord, spend half the day in church and get sick off of candy. I holiday really is an individual thing. It's all in how you celebrate it.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
cait
post Oct 28 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #6

Social Introvert, Sporatic Poster

Group: New Members
Member No.: 747

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news1000/ghost.html

absolutely hilarious (unless you're religiously devout and don't find the humor in it at all...in which case...sorry dude)

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Oct 28 2004, 04:10 AM
Post #7

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

That's funny in a sad kind of way, though I do like the idea of dressing as the Holy Ghost with a severed demon head.

Groups like that infuriate me, though. And they support the NRA which gives the message that all Christians are cross-wearing gun nuts that like to batter people for being Catholic and celebrating a holiday we don't like. Jeez. What if I were to beat the crap out of anyone who came my way because he/she celebrates Lincoln's birthday? I'm gonna shut up now before I get carried away.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
cait
post Oct 28 2004, 04:59 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Righteous @ Oct 28 2004, 01:10 AM)
That's funny in a sad kind of way, though I do like the idea of dressing as the Holy Ghost with a severed demon head.

Groups like that infuriate me, though. And they support the NRA which gives the message that all Christians are cross-wearing gun nuts that like to batter people for being Catholic and celebrating a holiday we don't like. Jeez. What if I were to beat the crap out of anyone who came my way because he/she celebrates Lincoln's birthday? I'm gonna shut up now before I get carried away.

I'm prettty sure it was a great big joke ^^

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Oct 28 2004, 06:00 AM
Post #9

its satire...... the entire page is...

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Oct 28 2004, 06:57 AM
Post #10

Thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate tha fact you took the time to give me some answers (and a hysterically funny link!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Oct 28 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #11

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

I was brought up as a Christian and was told that Halloween was when people worshiped the devil, it was evil, and we would burn in hell if we even so much as looked at a pumpkin dry.gif. You can see why I don't follow Christianity anymore can't you! rolleyes.gif I know now that it isn't Christianity that believes that but the stupid bigotted church that I was forced to go to. Shame as they're giving the wrong impression of Christianity.

That being said I now celebrate Halloween in my own way being a Pagan. I commemorate the passing of loved ones and invite them to eat with me at a table. I make a small shrine with photos and memorable items and light candles. Sometimes I scry depending on the moon phase. Dayan will be at this years table along with a friend's friend who committed suicide earlier this year.

I personally think that some Christians (like those at my church) believe it to be an evil devil worshipping festival but that's because they are stuck in the witch burning 17th century rolleyes.gif Not sure what the general Christian consensus is as I don't move in those circles anymore but I'm sure it isn't like that smile.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Oct 29 2004, 01:42 AM
Post #12

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

It's really weird. I have several very devout Christian/Catholic friends. One girl, who lived in China for 11 years, has the illusion that Halloween is evil and what-not. Another girl who grew up here... doesn't, and went trick-or-treating. I guess it's all in the individual church.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Oct 29 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #13

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I find that rather odd considering it's really ole hollow's eve -- which is the eve before all saints day. One was supposed to dress up as a demon and play tricks on others under the belief that this was the one day that the dead could walk the earth. Thus people felt they must hide themselves from the dead by dressing up in what we now call our holloween costumes.

Okay,that doesn't mean that that particular situation is the same with everyone, yet some of the little towns I've studied practiced that belief, and they were all very much so christians.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Oct 29 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #14

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

Our church usually has a Halloween carnival in the fellowship hall where all the kids play games and get candy and prizes. They also have a costume contest. This year they're doing something called Trunk or Treat.

It's basically where you decorate your car all spooky like and the kids go from car to car in the church parking lot. You get to hand out candy from your trunk. It's a really good idea, considering how far apart everyone lives. You have to drive to everyone's house and stuff.

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Oct 29 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ Oct 28 2004, 08:08 PM)
I find that rather odd considering it's really ole hollow's eve -- which is the eve before all saints day.  One was supposed to dress up as a demon and play tricks on others under the belief that this was the one day that the dead could walk the earth.  Thus people felt they must hide themselves from the dead by dressing up in what we now call our holloween costumes.

Okay,that doesn't mean that that particular situation is the same with everyone, yet some of the little towns I've studied practiced that belief, and they were all very much so christians.

actually... i greally accurate history on halloween...

christmas used to the druid holiday called "the winter solstice" (sp?) whice makes the days becoming longer... but because of calander diffrences... were off by some 4 years and a few days...

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

+Quote Post
Little Green Got...
post Oct 29 2004, 02:54 AM
Post #16

Only YOU can answer that question!

Member No.: 384

Well, I think I'll put in my two cents worth, since I am Christan and my favoret holladay is Halloween.

Ever since I can remember my father would decorate his house for halloween. More so then for Christmas. I guess that's where my acceptance for it began and why I was rather outraged when several Christian sects started saying how much halloween is about evil and so they started calling it "Harvest Day".

You could still dress up and get candy, but only at the church and only non-scary creatures. Saddly, it didn't catch on very well and less and less sects do it now. I guess its funny in a way.

Anyway, I hope I stayed on subject. I'll go do some haunting now...

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Oct 29 2004, 08:20 AM
Post #17

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

Coming from a catholic background has left me a little confused about this whole thing as well, but as far as I understand, Haloween is named for, as Narth puts it (although spelled wrong, bless) the Christian festival of "all hallows eve", the night of remembrance before All Saints Day on the 1st of November. The holiday, however, was taken from the old pagan festival, of which I know little besides what some of you have put forward already. It probably ties in with the theory that most of our holidays are bastardisations based on compromises reached by the Romans (who brought us christianity), and the native Britons (who didn't like the idea of being "conquered", but quite like the idea of being "civilised"), in which such holidays as Christmas and Easter are in question as well as Haloween. For me, though, in this day and age, and when my religion isn't nearly as important to me as my history, Haloween is just a chance to let go of some boundaries and have some good clean fun. Hopefully my idea to dress as Oberon, King of Faerie, should go through this year. I'm going to go rent the costume today, if they have it. If not, I might need to be cutting some holes in an old bedsheet. Wouldn't be the first time...

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Oct 29 2004, 09:02 AM
Post #18

Been thinking myself and I actually celebrate 2 things at this time, the silly, candy-coated costume show of 'halloween' and the more serious pagan/wiccan festival of Samhain - the new year.

Same at other festivals, you can't escape the commercial aspect of Christmas these days and I celebrate it cause though I'not not Christian I do belive that a very wise and good person called Jesus did exist and that his teachings have influenced the world I live, mostly for the better (excepet the fanatics and so on of course) I also celebrate winter solstice/Yule the turning of the year, the promise of summer returning and the triumph of the summer king over the winter king once more. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Oct 29 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #19

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (Tarantio @ Oct 29 2004, 08:20 AM)
Hopefully my idea to dress as Oberon, King of Faerie, should go through this year. I'm going to go rent the costume today, if they have it. If not, I might need to be cutting some holes in an old bedsheet. Wouldn't be the first time...

I was told once that you wanted to be careful not to anger fairies at this time of year as, like the weather/climate, they can be quite dark and brooding smile.gif Better be a good costume laugh.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
cait
post Oct 29 2004, 03:38 PM
Post #20

I kind of always thought Halloween was a Christian holiday... But it just seems like every holiday is a Christian one. *shrug* I miss the days of my youth when I had no idea what the word "religion" meant or what a "christian" was.

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Oct 29 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #21

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

QUOTE (monkey_called_narth @ Oct 29 2004, 02:20 AM)
christmas used to the druid holiday called "the winter solstice" (sp?) whice makes the days becoming longer... but because of calander diffrences... were off by some 4 years and a few days...

Actually I was taught it was a Roman festival, and was then given the day of Christ's birth because it was easy to do that. Many Religious Scholars think this, as well it makes sense and there are no references to Winter in the Bible at all.

I do not celebrate halloween in any religious manner, as well it should serve a purpose that many religions find it an important day and that they can celebrate it together. Like Boxing day and Kwanza.

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Oct 29 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #22

Fraid most, if not all of the Christian holidays have much much deeper roots. The christian church was just very very good a piggybacking existing celebrations!

Going from January we have as follows:
IMBOLC: (February 2) = Candlemas (mainly catholic)
SPRING EQUINOX/OSTARA: (March 21*) = Easter
BELTAINE: (May 1*) = May Day
SUMMER SOLSTICE/MIDSUMMER: (June 21*) don't thing there is an official christian festival for this actually. I can't find one or think of one at least.
LUGHNASADH: (August 1) = Lammas Night (rarely celebrated these days, also known as early/1st harvest)
AUTUMN EQUINOX/MABON: (September 21*) = Harvest festival
SAMHAIN: (October 31*) = All Hallows Eve (Halloween)
WINTER SOLSTICE/YULE: (December 22*) = Christmas

--------------------

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Oct 29 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #23

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 1,371

Christmas on the 25th December???

--------------------
If I die before I'm waked, allow me lord to rock out naked :b

VOTE BROTHER BLACK SHEEP.. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Oct 29 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #24

Obliterates Everything He Kisses

Member No.: 633

QUOTE (Black-Wings @ Oct 29 2004, 07:17 PM)

Christmas on the 25th December???

I think it was meant as a generalisation. Y'know, that all of the Christian holidays seem to land on or around the older Pagan festivals. Maybe... I can't speak for beleraphon, but I'm pretty sure thats what she meant!

Fal xXx

--------------------
The bookworm - bellydancing tart of Snuggles Harem
Fallen World
I have done it again. One year in every ten I manage it. . .

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Oct 29 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #25

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

From my understanding the church basically took over the pagan festivals and gave Christian meaning to them in an attempt to help them convert people (so basically what beleaphron said).

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 04:02 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!