Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Koreans Are A Bit Scary Part I, Or "I went to hospital today"
Jaq
post Nov 9 2004, 07:42 AM
Post #1

Took this grammar!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 165

So, I got cold at the end of September. I thought I was nearly over it but a few days of staying up late, sleeping on floors, and breathing in cigarette smoke brought it back with a vengeance this Sunday along with a cough, general fatigue, muscle aches and weakness. Because Korea (especially Seoul, where I live) is so polluted the Koreans take the common cold very seriously.

So my director took me to hospital today (doctor's office). They're not big on the privacy here. When they called my name over the computerized call system (Je Ne Pah Nim is apparently my name in broken computer Korean) my director followed me into the examining room and chatted with the doctor in Korean as she examined me. It wasn't to translate as she spoke pretty good English, it was just that Koreans don't think about privacy the same way Canadians do. She also left the door of the examining room open. blink.gif

So after that, the doctor didn't tell me what I had and I don't know if she knew what I had. But she did decide that whatever I had I needed an injection that would "take care of muscle" which turned out to be an IV drip. I was then prescribed 5 different kinds of pills and a syrup that I can only assume is for my cough.

Is it just me, or is that a bit of an overkill?

edit: I've been told that Koreans have a kind of "I don't know what it is so let's swing a sledge hammer at it" approach to medicine.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 9 2004, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

were they all wearing those suits like they wore in outbreak? if not, then it wasn't overkill enough!!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Nov 9 2004, 09:02 AM
Post #3

Took this grammar!

No... but they *were* wearing fashionably knotted little scarves around their necks which reminded me of 1950s housewives. And everyone knows that 1950s housewives were pod people.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 9 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #4

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

...I didn't realise south Korea was a b-movie...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 9 2004, 06:14 PM
Post #5

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

AAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That would just creap me out completely! and all those pills!!!!!!!!!!!! ph34r.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
jicama
post Nov 9 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #6

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Group: New Members
Member No.: 46

so are all those crazy pills helping? how are you feeling today?

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Nov 10 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #7

Took this grammar!

Still feeling pretty crummy. But ... well I don't know if it's the pills or the sickness... I feel kind of woozy. But I'm going to work todays anyways.

After I went to the doctor's with my director I told him I was going to go home and stay home. He graciously offered to let me come in 2 hours later that day because I was sick. I thanked him for his offer but said that I wanted to stay home all day. So he said I had to talk to my supervisor. I did and she offered the same thing. "You can come in two hours later, at 3:00" I told her I couldn't speak and wouldn't be much use teaching and she said "So, then you want to come in in the afternoon then?" I said that I would try but I couldn't really speak above a whisper so I wouldn't be much use. Another foreign teacher finally said "Look! You're sick, you're sick. Go home and go to bed and don't come back until you get better." With this my supervisor immeadiately changed her tack and said "Oh yes, if you're sick you're sick. We'll find someone, we'll manage.*sigh*" >_<

I'm not used to negotiating sick days... The few times I've called in sick in Canada I just had to tell the secretary and they would have said "Alright" and told whoever needed to be told. Here it's like I have to freaking prove that I'm sick and I better be vomiting blood.

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 10 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #8

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

eek.

I hope you feel better soon hunny *hugs*

I guess it's just a differant way in Korea than Canada. But hey, at least next time you need to take some time off sick you know how to go about it. smile.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Nov 10 2004, 01:09 AM
Post #9

Took this grammar!

Yup! Now I know how to go about it: vomit blood

Thanks Froggeh wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 10 2004, 01:30 AM
Post #10

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Vomiting blood is a good start, but be careful of getting carried away.

I don't suggest seeing if you can get your head to rotate. While it would impress them to begin with, they would probably just point out that it was back on the right way 'round now, so you could keep on teaching!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Nov 10 2004, 06:22 AM
Post #11

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 9 2004, 07:30 PM)
Vomiting blood is a good start, but be careful of getting carried away.

I don't suggest seeing if you can get your head to rotate. While it would impress them to begin with, they would probably just point out that it was back on the right way 'round now, so you could keep on teaching!

What she needs to do, then, is get it to rotate 3/4 of the way round and get it stuck there.

Get better soon, Jaqy.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
Artemisia
post Nov 10 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #12

never enough yaoi in the world...

Member No.: 783

Wow, 5 pills + 1 syrup = 6 medications at once. Sounds wild. Hope the drug interactions won't kill you. Or turn you into a pod person. You're not getting the urge to wear a knotted scarf now are you? That's weird about the sick days too...I'm one of those people that will go to work even if I am vomiting blood or something, and that people need to literally throw out of the office because they don't want to catch what I have...but really it's because they don't want blood on their fancy logo post-it notes. But the one time, the ONE time I actually decided all by myself to go home because even I thought I was too sick to stay at work? It indirectly caused such a big problem that the next day my co-worker got into a shouting fight with the director and left work early, reducing me to a neurotic sobbing ball of nerves. I hate sick days!!! But enough spam. I hope your sick day helped and you're feeling better!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 10 2004, 01:01 PM
Post #13

Currently I'm recovering from a bit of laser surgery yesterday. I have a deviated septum as well as very large turbinates (which are things that keep the air in your nose moist, apparently) which means that it's really hard to breath through my nose because there's hardly any space for the air passages. I had surgery on it a couple of years ago and yesterday I had a top-up to try and clear some more space up there...

Anyway, my point was that so far today I've taken two multivitamin tablets, two decongestant tablets, and two ibuprofen. Now I have to stick a load of cream up my right nostril and then spray it all with salt water... So, I can sympathise with the multi-pronged medication Jaq. Get well soon!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Nov 10 2004, 01:32 PM
Post #14

A monster of someone elses creation...

Member No.: 873

Is it "28 Days Later" yet - you may shortly wake up and find yourself the only one left on the planet except for a load of zombies!!
Though I think the zombie thing has already really taken off here!! wink.gif

Hope you feel better soon *hugs*

And a firend of mine, also Jacqueline, was called Jackadeen by one of the guys we used to care for which stuck and we always call her that now! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Nov 10 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #15

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Jaq @ Nov 9 2004, 07:42 AM)
edit: I've been told that Koreans have a kind of "I don't know what it is so let's swing a sledge hammer at it" approach to medicine.

Shotgunning, I believe is the medical term for it. It's common practise around the world for when doctors can't find whats really wrong with you, or so I'm informed. Aparrently its not that dangerous, unless they don't bother testing for allergies beforehand and give you fifteen shots of something that would kill you in smaller doses. Which isn't that common, I should hope. But I must admit, you have guts to go to a hospital in that sort of environment. I hate hospitals here in general, and one where they didn't bother speaking my language or closing doors would just freak me out entirely. I remember when I was four and had to go back to get my (first) botched thumb surgery corrected, I was terrified of everything, from getting undressed in public to even staying in the ward on my own for two hours. It was hellish for my mum. To make matters worse, they botched that one up too, and now aside from bending the wrong way, my thumb also has a hideous scar right down one side, and is disfigured to hell. Hurray!

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 10 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #16

If it makes you feel any better Tara, I never noticed your thumb looking odd at all, and certainly nothing about it that I would describe as 'hideous'!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 10 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #17

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 10 2004, 01:01 PM)
Currently I'm recovering from a bit of laser surgery yesterday. I have a deviated septum as well as very large turbinates (which are things that keep the air in your nose moist, apparently) which means that it's really hard to breath through my nose because there's hardly any space for the air passages. I had surgery on it a couple of years ago and yesterday I had a top-up to try and clear some more space up there...

Hope your recovery is speedy *hugs*, just no snotty salty water on me clothes please. wink.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 10 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #18

The worst should be over in two weeks, and then the vast majority of healing done in six, so it's not too bad really, it just hurts at the moment because of the surgery and the congestion from the swelling.

Anyway, it's not the salty water you've got to worry about, it's the occasional bouts of blood that really stain!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 10 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #19

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

Get well soon both of you! *hugs avoiding blood snot and whatever else*

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Nov 10 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #20

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

Wow that must be strange. They didn't just tell you it was some viral thing and tell you to go home? Obviously they don't take a page out of the Canadian diagnostics book!
I had Lyme disease, and for three monthes they told me it was just some viral thing. Finally after spacing out and getting lost or 5 hours on my way home. Oh and yelling a some random guy in a Tim Hortons about animal cruelty because he was talking about a Dr. Phil show with this kid who did mean things to a cat, it was justified...really. My dad made them run lots of tests. And now I only have to take antibiotics 3 times a day for anoter month, err and nexium, and anti-anxiety drugs to knock me out at night.
Aww poor Mata to.
*Throws Cold FX across the ocean to Mata and Jaq*

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Nov 10 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #21

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

I spent the summer in and out of hospital with eyes so inflamed and red that I looked like something out of a horror film and couldn't see a thing, and unable to walk because of the most awful pain in my ankles and knees... after countless hospital visits and severals stays of two nights or more, they diagnosed me with some kind of juvenile arthritis and said that the eye problems were something to do with that (and they had said it was conjunctivitis...)

Then we spent 3 months trying to tell the man at the eye hospital that the rheumatologists had said that the eye problems were a "side effect" of the arthritis and he refused to believe us... until we saw a different doctor who told us that, in fact, this particular one who didn't believe us had been TALKING AT A CONFERENCE about links between eye problems and ARTHRITIS IN TEENAGERS just the week before...

I ask you... rolleyes.gif *ouch*

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
Little Green Got...
post Nov 10 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #22

Only YOU can answer that question!

Member No.: 384

Wow, talk about horror stories. I myself have never really had problems with doctors and such. So all I can say is that I empathize.

*makes chicken noodle soup and passes a bowl out to everyone* Because chicken noodle soup fixes all medical problems. ;-D

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Nov 10 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #23

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

Shotgunning, I believe is the medical term for it. It's common practise around the world for when doctors can't find whats really wrong with you, or so I'm informed. Aparrently its not that dangerous, unless they don't bother testing for allergies beforehand and give you fifteen shots of something that would kill you in smaller doses. Which isn't that common, I should hope.

Actually, the major problems associated with it, beyond the risk of hypersensitivity reactions, are the problems of superinfection and development of resistance. Superinfection happens when you take so many antibiotics that it wipes out most of the bugs in your body and then a happy bacteria or fungus comes along that *isn't* affected by the antibiotic, and normally it would be kept in check by the millions of bacteria that are normally crawling all over you, and it goes WHAM! and makes you very very ill. It's especially bad with funguses and yeasts. As for the development of resistance, this sort of treatment is the very reason that antibiotics are stopping working nowadays... the development of superbugs that we can't kill, mostly from antibiotic abuse.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Nov 10 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #24

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

yeah, some anti-biotics casue the happy bacteria that live in girly bits controlling the yeast can be killed and then you get a yeast infection such as thrush and (trust me, we have an evil lecturer who likes graphic pictures) that's not pretty!
/spammishness

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Cavocy
post Nov 10 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,400

Okay, going to speak as someone who lived in Korea for nine years! Jaq look south, I was down in Daegu, though I lived in Seoul for a year and a half.

Six pills. Well, Korea's do have a tendancy for overkill and a tendancy for lacking privacy, but I can pretty much tell you what you are going to have in the six pills. You will have actual medication. Probably the syrup and one or two of the pills. The others are almost always going to be an anti-acid as one of the most common complaints while taking medications is nausea and many pills do tend to be acidic. The rest are probably basic vitamins which they believe will help boost up your immunity. How long you been in Korea anyway?

I have had problems with Korean medical care. The fact that they didn't close the door, yeah I get that a lot. I also got brought in to wait for my appointment in the examing room while the first paitent was still in there. However, I have had good treatment some of the best I ever had for my problem with ingrown toenails were by docs in Seoul and Daegu.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:45 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!