IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Righteous The Revolutionaire, Well, not really but kind of.
Righteous
post Nov 19 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

Okay, whenever I'm not in class, I'm hanging out at the student life center with my buddies. The student life center consists mainly of four areas: the lounge, the info desk, the gameroom and the hub. For many of us, it's a home away from home. An issue has come up, however, with the campus radio station. All politics aside (and there are plenty of politics here), the radio station needs to be moved from their current locaiton because of fire code violations, space issues and problems with handicap accessability (plus some politics). That's gravy and all as it doesn't affect me, but they want to move the station to the info desk and the attatched offices. We have multiple problems with this.

Many of our friends work at the desk. They've told us how strapped for space the building is already. If they're moved, they'll have to separate the desk into two parts, one upstairs and one in the longe quite far from the gameroom. Policy, in general, may also have to change as the building locks promptly at 12 midnight while the radio station can, and has, operated into the early hours of the morning.

Right now, the desk, which handles, among other things, the gameroom, is situated nicely between the lounge and gameroom. If they come in, the desk will be moves to a far corner of said lounge where they will be unable to supervise the gameroom (where craziness can [and has] happen).

If the station is moved to it's proposed location, the walls will need to be soundproofed. The thing with that is, it'll cost a lot of money, money that I've paid via tuition, my money. Soundproofing is expensive. Parts of my house and houses I've worked on are soundproofed. Also, soundproofing is not 100% affective and could allow for their music and voices to disturb us and vice versa.

Our major concern, however, is that the presence of the radio station could effect the activities of the students here. Our concern is that the radio station employees (all fourty of them) would come into the lounge and gameroom and alienate the regulars and, perhaps, taylor the space to their activities at the exclusion of the rest of us.

It's not just the radio station. We don't want any clubs or organizations to take up that space. The radio station is not at par with the activities in the gameroom. The activities there at the present are open to anyone. Anyone can come in and play pool or table tennis or hub games. Clubs have memberships and employees. There isn't as much freedom in the enjoyment of clubs as there is the lounge or gameroom or hub. Besides, the clubs that use the space aren't perminent and move in and out while any club that would use the office space and desk, particularly the radio station, are set establishments and immobile.

With all of this in mind, some of the guys and I decided to start a petition and eventual letter-writing campaign. My friend Brenden aka Bible Man (most of us have nicknames) were out getting petitions signed when I was approached by the radio station president and her faculty supervisor. Long story short, they said that we don't have enough information and we should research it (which we had), that it hurt their feelings (bullsh*t) and that we were wrong on all our premises (even more bullsh*t). She also used double-speak saying that nothing would change and that they would make things better (by letting them stay the same, apparently). I did find it interesting how after the incident, they were handing out flyers telling everyone how awesome the radio station is.

We saw the president of student affairs (a really nice guy) and he gave us the lowdown on some of the details and told us the proper course of action. The information gathered is good to know and gives us more ammunition and another ally.

We have random allies on campus. Everyone who works the student life center is behind us 110% (silently for fear of losing their jobs) as are all the gameroom regulars and a lot of other students on campus. The student government president and the school production company are more against the station than for us, which I think is just as good. As one of the employees pointed out when I told him I'm not terrebly keen on some of the student government president's decisions, "War makes for strange bedfellows."

Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers. I'm hardcore excited about this. This is our student center we're defending. If this comes out successful, we're gonna have a huge-ass party to celebrate. If the student center is preserved, it ill have been a battle well worth it.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Nov 19 2004, 05:26 PM
Post #2

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Good Luck in your battle.

Do you have another idea where the radio station could go? You did say they had to move and while you don't want 'em in your space is there somewhere else? Might get them to back off on their anti-Righteous stance a bit.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
SteelWingedCheru...
post Nov 19 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #3

"in revolution one wins or dies"

Group: New Members
Member No.: 523

POWER TO THE PEOPLE! good luck with your mini rebellion I hope it all goes in your favour

--------------------
Remember, only left-handed people are in their right minds! haha! not funny

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Nov 21 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #4

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

Revolution 1 System 0!

Keep fighting the good fight. Don't let that radio station encroach on the student life center.

*thinks we need some of the Cheerleading Cult here*

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Nov 21 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #5

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Nov 19 2004, 12:26 PM)
Do you have another idea where the radio station could go?  You did say they had to move and while you don't want 'em in your space is there somewhere else?

We have been researching alternate places since day one. We were thinking of having club commons be moved to where the desk was supposed to go as most of club commons is rarely (if ever) used. Either that, or a lounge rarely ever used by the frats, which it's supposed to service.
Might get them to back off on their anti-Righteous stance a bit.

It's not just me. It's also Bible Man, Sarah, Myron, Slam, the rest of the regulars and all of the employees (the silent majority, Nixon style).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Dec 1 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #6

Shut up, noob!

UPDATE: The student government, who had no idea of the move, found out about it. Since they have juristiction over the student life center and the upstairs offices, they've put their proverbial foot down and have let the administration, management and radio station know that they do not want them in those offices. They may agree to put out a portable (a class, room type-deal that can be put up and moved cheaply) out for the station. I personally dig that idea.

Oh, and I might be able to get a job in the student life center. Go me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Dec 1 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

The words Wanker and egg cartons spring to mind!.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Dec 2 2004, 01:21 PM
Post #8

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

QUOTE (Righteous @ Dec 1 2004, 02:08 AM)
They may agree to put out a portable (a class, room type-deal that can be put up and moved cheaply) out for the station. I personally dig that idea.

Oh, and I might be able to get a job in the student life center. Go me!

That does sound like a much better idea for everyone. And great news about the job, too smile.gif
Good luck keeping them out of your space!

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Dec 2 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #9

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Good luck bro,a nd whatever you do, never NEVER wank with egg cartons. It hurts.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Dec 6 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #10

Shut up, noob!

There's a big meeting today with student government, one of the deans, the radio station and us. I hope to God this works out for the best.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 01:21 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!