IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Karaoke; Love It Or Loath It?, I think the title covers it
Karaoke; Love it or loath it?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 40
Guests cannot vote 
Smiler
post Nov 25 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,379

In honour of me going to a Karaoke final tonight I wanted to see what the denizens of Matazone thought about the oddest of Pub theme nights.

I'm totally in favour and love it so long as everyone gets up and has a blast. I recon that it doesnt matter if your not to good although yes it obviously helps wink.gif
Its a fun night for me anyway and the guys go with generally have a laugh.

Is it in fact one of the fore signs that the end is near????????

BTW ITS FOR CHARITY wink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 25 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

I love to go to karaoke evenings, and listen to other people, good or not! But you'll never get me up there. I'm far too afraid, I'd cry and run away. Literally sad.gif
(Sadface 'cause it's a shame. Sure, I can't sing, but it'd be fun to be able to karaoke)

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Nov 25 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #3

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

I find it really releasing. I cant really belt out anywhere else so Karaoke is the perfect excuse for me to sing it out. Plus its fun. I can get up in front of 100 stragers and sing my heart out no probs but going up to one of those people to strike up conversation? WHOA!!!!

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 25 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #4

See, I'm just about ok talking to strangers. Preferably if there's a reason to though, or something to talk about that's just happened. I can't go up and say "Hey, I'm Charlotte *smile*"
I love to sing. But at home, with loud music, or in the shower. I really just couldn't do karaoke...

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Nov 25 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #5

F*cking with the best since 1996

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 962

I have done karaoke before but I was very very drunk.

I enjoy watching others do it but only get up there after a few drinks and on the understanding that it's a stupid song. Like the Hokey Cokey or YMCA.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 25 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #6

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

It is funny to watch, and if you're blasted, funny to take part in, but I went to this one place and you got all these wanna-be professional singers hoping to get spotted so no one else wanted to do it because they'd look so crap...which spoilt the evening a little...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
El Nino
post Nov 25 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #7

I pull the wings off god

Member No.: 1,340

I tried it once years ago. The first or second night of my honeymoon in fact and I not only didn't enjoy the singing. I also don't see what's so good about karaoke.

--------------------
Please try to remember, when reading my posts, that I've probably not watched the same films & tv shows as you. I try not to watch music vids & I've also probably not even heard about them from other people. Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"/She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip//Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other,//Member of the pro cath association // Froggys' sugar-e-daddy//You can't spell politics without tics/[b]/Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity.Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the females (not shemales).

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Nov 25 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #8

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Depends on who's singing. If it's a bunch of girls screaming into microphones, no. If it's someone with a decent voice trying, sure. I've participated maybe once or twice, but really not my thing.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Nov 25 2004, 06:36 PM
Post #9

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

My office christmas party for the last 3 years, free alcohol and karioke with a bunch of techies.

in a word. No.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Xkitsurabamix
post Nov 25 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #10

Animal of manual life

Member No.: 1,220

Karaoke is huge in japan! they have places where you can pay for a room, and sing all night long with your friends. Woo!
with your friends and strangers, sure, it'd be fun, but getting a machine in your house? no...i'd feel quite odd. Plus, that's what the shower is for.

--------------------
user posted image
"Savior" isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 25 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #11

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Didn't karaoke originate in Japan?

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Artemisia
post Nov 25 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #12

never enough yaoi in the world...

Member No.: 783

I've never been to a karaoke event. I'd like to go- if my friends were onstage with me, or even just one other person, and I had had at least one bevvie, I bet it would be fun. I keep asking Tigersong to go with me but he's one of those "dear God Noooooo!" people. It's because he's a professionally trained singer. Opera divas, you know what they're like. wub.gif He says he frankly can't think of anything less appealing than having his eardrums assaulted in that way.

Re: Japan - my only experience with karaoke is watching the girls on Sailor Moon Live Action doing it. Their secret magical girl clubhouse/hideout is in a magic room in a karaoke club, where they have a private room with their own machine and mircrophones and candy.

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Nov 25 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #13

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

dumb question....! (to me anyway)

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Xkitsurabamix
post Nov 25 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #14

Animal of manual life

Member No.: 1,220

I do believe it originated in Japan. I haven't seen any official listing of information that says that, but it's name is Karaoke...so...it's a japanese name, and it's a huge tradition over there.

--------------------
user posted image
"Savior" isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 26 2004, 03:27 AM
Post #15

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Nov 25 2004, 07:29 PM)
Didn't karaoke originate in Japan?

QUOTE (Xkitsurabamix @ Nov 25 2004, 11:14 PM)
I do believe it originated in Japan. I haven't seen any official listing of information that says that, but it's name is Karaoke...so...it's a japanese name, and it's a huge tradition over there.

I remember reading about how karaoke started a while back, and it goes summit like this: It was invented in Norfolk in the 70's, but never caught on. Someone/ a company in Japan bought the idea/ patent and started selling karaoke machines there, where they caught on in a big way. Karaoke means summit like empty orchestra, or orchestra without instruments. I don't think I'm absolutly right, but that's the best I can remember.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Nov 26 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #16

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

I hate Karaoke, but I love the Korean take on karaoke, noribang. You get your own private room with a couple huge speakers, some mics, and a karaoke machine and you and 1-7 of your friends go in and sing your heart out. It's great fun and you can try songs where you know that you suck but you like them anyways.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 26 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #17

Now that I could do smile.gif if I'm ever in Korea, you'll get a communication of some sort asking for directions now.

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Nov 27 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #18

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

See, I dont think I'd enjoy that as much as normal karaoke. I dunno, I'm a show off at heart I suppose but I'm not a huge attention seeker huh.gif hmmmmmm

ALSO

I won! I won! I won! Well, this round anyway. Its all been a bit of a confusion on the whole; Round 1 was stumbled on in August, round 2 was about 6 weeks ago after a text message letting me know 4 hours before it started, and this last one, supposedly the final (see above) only leading to the Grand Final next Saturday.
BUT WHO CARES, I'm through!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Nov 27 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #19

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug

Member No.: 1,348

Hmm, I like the idea but and I love singing but when it actually comes to getting out of my cosy dark corner and doing it in public...now thats different!

I have been known to do it on occaision, usually as a backing singer in a group and once a duet with my mate Dan, Fever if I remember correctly.
Also somewhere awaiting destruction is photographic evidence of such an event with me hauled on stage on a leash, bondage tape attached to my dog collar, surprisingly strong I couldnt break it! blink.gif

I really enjoy it will willingly submit a name and song but when its my turn watch the dust settle as I flee! laugh.gif

--------------------
[CENTER]Proud participator in the Noob adoption sharing scheme.
Trial specimen: Raevnkite.
Progress:Progressing Nicely

Tribe Wyvern:Come visit!
Im Irishguys Pockety Pet!!!
[/CENTER]
Maps alter your perceptions, confuse your mind and make familiar things seem very strange and thats before you unpack the compass...

+Quote Post
a_line_in_your_b...
post Nov 28 2004, 09:18 AM
Post #20

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,486

Christ i LOVE kareoke! I had a go for the first ever time in public last night and it was soooo much fun. I mean i know stereotypically kareoke is crap and cheesy and well, the real thing isn't much different, but it's such a confidence-booster when everyone cheers you and asks you to sing again and stuff. Yay! biggrin.gif
Me and my friend sung 'Drinking in the street' (lol!), Summer Nights with some random guy who told us we could be his 'kareoke assassins' and something else...i don't even remember now.
All in all it was a very fun night. I love singing even if sometimes i'm really not so good, but in kareoke you always know that someone is going to be worse off than you. laugh.gif Needless to say, i wouldn't have managed it had i not had a few drinks first...believe it or not i can actually be quite shy.
It's interesting how this poll is so completely split...it seems as though kareoke is one of those things you either love or hate.
XxX

+Quote Post
a_line_in_your_b...
post Nov 28 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #21

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,486

QUOTE (Smiler @ Nov 27 2004, 09:35 PM)
See, I dont think I'd enjoy that as much as normal karaoke. I dunno, I'm a show off at heart I suppose but I'm not a huge attention seeker  huh.gif hmmmmmm

ALSO

I won! I won! I won! Well, this round anyway. Its all been a bit of a confusion on the whole; Round 1 was stumbled on in August, round 2 was about 6 weeks ago after a text message letting me know 4 hours before it started, and this last one, supposedly the final (see above) only leading to the Grand Final next Saturday.

Oh sorry i didn't see that post-that's crazy! biggrin.gif Congratulations! Lol! And much luck for the GRAND final too. smile.gif
XxX

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Nov 28 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #22

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Why Fank Oo Line, Im glad to see some more Karaoke appreciators on here other than FaerieRyn- she's just mad...blinding, but mad

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 28 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #23

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

QUOTE (Smiler @ Nov 27 2004, 09:35 PM)

Well done hunny, will we get any pics of you in the Grand Final belting it out?

Hope you wow 'em. biggrin.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Nov 28 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #24

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

we need to sing together again babe. I miss it so much

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Nov 29 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #25

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

I've done karaoke before. I'll sing if I'm prodded enough to get up, or if I'm doing a duet. Especially if I'm doing a duet with my Randy! wub.gif But not very often. As much as I love singing, I HATE going to karaoke bars. Mainly because of all the wannabes who absolutely suck arse but are CONVINCED that Simon Cowel is out there looking _just_ for them and that if they sing enough songs he'll magically appear and whisk them off to fame and fortune.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:25 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!