IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Bit Of A Quandry..., Hoping ya'll can point me somewhere.
Feyliya
post Nov 29 2004, 02:06 AM
Post #1

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 380

I have absolutely no clue where to buy something for my grandmother and my mother. I would prefer to buy online so that I can have the presents shipped directly to SC but I don't know any good, reliable, fairly cheap places to shop. And, to make things even better, I have little to no clue of what to buy my mother. You guys have never failed me when I've had a question in the past, so I'm hoping you'll be able to help me out with a minor holiday miracle. biggrin.gif Please please pleeeease, if you have a favorite place for online shopping, please link the site! And if you really go all-out and actually search for a good place, so help me I will worship the ground you walk on. Here's the pertinent info for if you are interested in having a permanent devoted worshipper.

My grandmother:
- loves hummingbirds
- got her ears pierced for the first time ever this year

She's fairly easy this year. I just need to know where to go. My mother though...

My mother:
- loves ducks, cats, and frogs
- does really amazing counted cross-stitch
- enjoys "country" themed household items
- is HORRID with electronics and computers
- is quite lazy and anything that requires assembly will be garaged
- doesn't do games of any kind
- any bath stuff will be promptly used up by my younger sister
- clothing won't work, either
- and I have a tradition of giving her a stuffed cow every holiday

As you can see, my mother has more bads than goods. I'd do a gift card, but I really want to give my mother something a bit more personal (and yes, I do realize how ironic it is that I'm asking people who have never met me in person let alone my mother to help me pick out something personal for her). Something small along with a gift card would work nicely. PLEASE no Wal-Mart suggestions. I hate them and my mother works there, so giving her a gift card from there would be tacky and buying her something from there runs the risk of her already having it.

Thank you in advance, everyone! I'm sure you'll be able to help!

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Nov 29 2004, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

The other year I got my mum a magnifier with a light in it as she loves crafts as well.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 29 2004, 06:36 PM
Post #3

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

You could get her a pile of cross stich stuff canvase, threads, needles and such like. I dont if she make her own images or buys them to fill in but if she fills them in you could get a couple of nice ones of those. Or you could see if you could find an interesting piece of jewellery.
Run out of ideas now.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Nov 30 2004, 02:12 AM
Post #4

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

A cabana boy named Pedro. Seriously. Can't go wrong with a cabana boy.

EBay is always worth a look. For your mother I suggest a shotgun and a skeet shooter. Can't get more country than that, unless you throw in a case and a smellhound named Geech.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Nov 30 2004, 03:43 AM
Post #5

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

In response to Cath's post I really feel that you should do something like that, but put it in some sore to sewing box. There are some really nice small ones with compartments for different threads and needles that you could use to organize things with. I am not sure if they have things like this online, but I do know that my mom got something like that one year and loved it.

I'm sorry, I don't have anymore ideas for you as of yet. Good luck finding a gift though. laugh.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Dec 1 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #6

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

QUOTE (beleraphon @ Nov 28 2004, 11:39 PM)
The other year I got my mum a magnifier with a light in it as she loves crafts as well.

That would be a good idea. My mother had one of those once but my sister broke it and I don't think she's gotten another one. Now to just find a place to get one...

QUOTE (Cath @ Nov 29 2004, 10:36 AM)
You could get her a pile of cross stich stuff canvase, threads, needles and such like. I dont if she make her own images or buys them to fill in but if she fills them in you could get a couple of nice ones of those. Or you could see if you could find an interesting piece of jewellery.
Run out of ideas now.

Might work. I usually don't buy her thread or canvas because she goes for the really bloody expensive stuff, but books of the patterns would work. Maybe I can find an online craft store that will deliver to her in time for Christmas.

QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Nov 29 2004, 06:12 PM)
A cabana boy named Pedro. Seriously. Can't go wrong with a cabana boy.

EBay is always worth a look. For your mother I suggest a shotgun and a skeet shooter. Can't get more country than that, unless you throw in a case and a smellhound named Geech.

The following text may or may not be false. That is up to the reader's sensibility and good judgement. tongue.gif

I'd do a cabana boy, but sadly my grandmother already has one (Juan). She also already has a shotgun and a skeet shooter, both with custom confederate-flag cases. The bloodhound's name is Dixie. Maybe if I Ebay the word country I'll find some good pickled pig's feet or some chickens.

QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ Nov 29 2004, 07:43 PM)
In response to Cath's post I really feel that you should do something like that, but put it in some sore to sewing box.  There are some really nice small ones with compartments for different threads and needles that you could use to organize things with.  I am not sure if they have things like this online, but I do know that my mom got something like that one year and loved it.

I'm sorry, I don't have anymore ideas for you as of yet.  Good luck finding a gift though. laugh.gif

I think I'll get her a new sewing box, the magnifier light, and a cross stitch book. I seem to recall her old box having been sat on by my "little" sister and crushed a couple of years back.

Thanks for your help, everyone! This should work. And if it doesn't, I don't have to be home for Christmas this year to hear her sigh and mope around the house because "nobody knows me well enough to get me anything good"!

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 08:52 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!