Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brace Face
WeeJ
post Nov 29 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Engrish Ranguage Student

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 338

After seeing a rather hideously toothy photograph of myself this evening, I'm pondering getting orthodontic treatment. I was wondering whether or not you lot wear brace's and if you're going private, (in the UK) how much does it dent your wallet?

...Anyone?

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Nov 29 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

No idea, love. But I need to get braces sorted too (not fixed, hopefully, but retainer-y things). I had them once upon a time, but they got ripped off in a biting-my-mother's-arse incident. Then my retainer got lost in Snug's house, and my teeth kind of went 'blargh'. Now, all of a sudden, my teeth seem to be on the move again, and it's very scary. And bizarre.

So. Yes. I have to also visit a dentist. I have a huge phobia, so it's not good. I sympathise fully.

Good luck. If you find out how hideous it is on the wallet, let me know!

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Nov 29 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #3

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I'm in the US and have them (meaning I don't have the foggiest how much they cost over there), and I suppose if you're up for them they do work. Evil dentists started mine early and fudged the whole thing up, so I have to wear mine for far longer than seems humane. Ah, the joys of high school.
Generally, braces hurt. Quite a bit after you get them on/off/tightened or changed in any way, so I suggest stocking up on non-chewing items like yogurt and soup should you get them on. Those clear retainer-things (invisalign and such) hurt less and are a lot prettier, but they are a hassle to remember. Also, I believe they're less effective than the ugly metal type (i.e. for people who have easily corrected mouths)
I'd suggest finding a really good dentist, and finding out if your health insurance covers braces or considers them cosmetic dentistry. I know in the US they can run up into the thousands. Ick.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Nov 29 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #4

Engrish Ranguage Student

I did actually start out on retainer type braces before I moved to Greece (where I couldn't continue my treatment) so I'm well aware of how much they hurt. Feels like you're having your teeth pulled veeert slowly.

It's more the price I'm concerned about really....I need to look into it.

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Nov 29 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #5

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Here in Canada they offer to put the ugly metal brackets on the back side of the teeth so they don't show. I had the conventional type for about 3 years and they cost my parents a fair bit. My Mom joked they cost more than my first car and that set me back $1000. Sorry I don't remember exactly but it was 14 years ago.
Wouldn't be the same cost anyway as they're different countries.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Nov 30 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #6

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Then my retainer got lost in Snug's house,

Ewwww - you mean there's a random retainer hiding in my house somewhere? unsure.gif

I'd ask your dentist. I can't imagine that a retainer would cost that much but knowing dentists I'm sure they'll make you pay an extortionate amount.

Although, if you're still in full time education (I'm not sure what you do), I thought you got free or at least subsidised dentistry and stuff?

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Nov 30 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #7

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,379

I had braces for about 3 years whle I was younger. They only really hurt when they where tightened every few months, after that I kinda almost forot about 'em.
I got mine free 'cos I was young and NHS, sorry, I'm not being much help am I?
On a side note, the dentist who looked after me was called Houman Hejes. I cant tell you how many times I satback and thought what this Vlad the Impaler gardener weirdo was gonna do next! He was a nice guy though so I let him off.

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Nov 30 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #8

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

Ewwww - you mean there's a random retainer hiding in my house somewhere?

No, you found it and threw it away. I think unpleasant things had stuck to it.

I cant tell you how many times I satback and thought what this Vlad the Impaler gardener weirdo was gonna do next!

My dentist used to listen to roaring classical music while drilling my teeth. I used to see him as an evil Hitler type - I'm pretty sure he found pleasure in it. Evil sadistic barsteward.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Nov 30 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #9

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,379

QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Nov 30 2004, 01:48 AM)
I'm pretty sure he found pleasure in it. Evil sadistic barsteward.

You KNOW there's gotta be something wrong with 'em to begin with when they shoose to deal with the back of peoples throats everyday--> let alone some of those peoples haletosis!!!!!!!!
Oddly I find that I would class Cheropodists similiaraly - Peoples feet??!?! Why????

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 30 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #10

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

I would guess it'd be very expensive our dentist went private not to long ago and I've been since then I had a couple of fillings with anesthetic and it cost 180 so I think it might make rather a large dent I'm afraind.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Xkitsurabamix
post Nov 30 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #11

Animal of manual life

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,220

My metalic retainer costs $200 to replace. the plastic one is 100.

--------------------
user posted image
"Savior" isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind.

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Nov 30 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #12

Engrish Ranguage Student

This...

...is the offending toothy grinned photo.

I know my teeth aren't horribly wonky, it's just something I've always been a bit aware of. If it's going to cost an arm and leg, I doubt I'll bother as it's really not a huge deal, it's just something I'd like to get sorted one day.

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Nov 30 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #13

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

Well a single filling on the NHS cost me 20 the other day, and you look lovely in the photo so stop stressing!

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Dec 1 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #14

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

It doesn't look like you really need braces, but if it's something that's been bugging you you could probably get them and wear them a shorter ammount of time than most people do because of the small ammount of movement that needs to be done.

I can't help with pricing, sorry. I know mine cost upwards of $3,000, but that's because I had very bad teeth. Let's just say that I literally had fangs when I was younger...

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Dec 1 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #15

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

i don't think the problem is crooked teeth it's strangly shaped teeth.
save for caping.

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Dec 1 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #16

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Dec 1 2004, 12:57 AM)
i don't think the problem is crooked teeth it's strangly shaped teeth.
save for caping.

Nice and to the point dry.gif

I had braces when I was 13-15. I looked like Bugs Bunny with my two front teeth sticking out almost over my bottom lip sad.gif I have a removable brace on my upper teeth and fixed on my bottom teeth. I remember the pain as being a dull ache that I got when the braces were tightened and then went away about two days later. Nothing a few painkillers can't knock on the head. Best thing I did. I got lots more interest from boys after that wink.gif I also developed boobs around that time so I can't really be sure it was the nice teeth laugh.gif

Speak to your dentist. They'll have all the answers you need. If you feel self concious about it it's your best first move smile.gif

I've seen a lot worse teeth than those (mine when I was 13!) so I don't think you've got anything to worry about babe *hugs*

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Dec 3 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #17

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 1,371

I think that each retainer costs something like 50.... man, they're making me get out 4 teeth and then trying to force me to wear braces!!... NEVER!!

--------------------
If I die before I'm waked, allow me lord to rock out naked :b

VOTE BROTHER BLACK SHEEP.. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Dec 3 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Black-Wings @ Dec 3 2004, 01:38 PM)
I think that each retainer costs something like 50.... man, they're making me get out 4 teeth and then trying to force me to wear braces!!... NEVER!!

I had 6 teeth taken out and they had to knock me out. There was no way I was going to sit through 6 teeth being pulled with a local dry.gif One actually fell out a few days before and I'm sure it was just plain fright!

Obviously I didn't want it done at the time but it was the best thing I could've done. My teeth look lovely now (I'm always told that my smile is one of my best features) and there was space for my wisdom teeth to come through without hurting too much or having to be taken out like so many other people.

You'll save yourself a lot of grief in the future if you do it now smile.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Dec 3 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #19

Probably sees visions

Really? Just like... I don't actually mind too much having a kind of wonkyish grin... just my mum's like... WOOOOOO

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 3 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #20

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I was due to have eleven taken out at once, back when I was about eleven or twelve. I only had 21 teeth at the time! One of those came out the day before too... I think they know what's coming...

These days I have very crowded teeth, and I still have about six less than I'm supposed to.

I've been considering getting my teeth sorted out too. I suspect mine would require more work than yours WeeJ, mainly because there just isn't the space in my head to move the teeth into! Extraction ahoy...

I'd be interested if you find out how much it costs. I've not made any enquiries yet because I don't have any money at the moment, but I suspect it might be rather pricey.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Dec 3 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #21

Probably sees visions

Woah, eleven or twelve!!!! I hope that theywere going to put some teeth back in... or were they preparing for dentures or something??????

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Dec 3 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 3 2004, 01:53 PM)
I've been considering getting my teeth sorted out too. I suspect mine would require more work than yours WeeJ, mainly because there just isn't the space in my head to move the teeth into! Extraction ahoy...

Is this your way of proving that you don't have a big mouth?!? tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Black-Wings @ Dec 3 2004, 01:53 PM)
Really? Just like... I don't actually mind too much having a kind of wonkyish grin... just my mum's like... WOOOOOO

Really! Obviously my Mum made me do it but I'm glad she did. I also got free stuff afterwards as I couldn't talk properly and she felt sorry for me biggrin.gif

On a side note she managed to back the car out of our driveway into a passing car that morning as she was so worried about getting me to the hospital rolleyes.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Dec 3 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #23

Probably sees visions

Heh, well, just as long as I don't get a cold then I can keep my mouth shut... Although... Lauri Ylonen from the Rasmus did say that he thinks braces are really hot... hehehe... hmmmmm smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Dec 4 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #24

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

I had to have 14 baby teeth pulled. One at a time. My molars were pulled as they came in, and my front teeth were pulled as they became too crooked and inhibited my chewing when my adult teeth were coming in. One front tooth had to be pulled because it refused to fall out and one molar was pulled because I snapped my jaw shut and cracked it. The most teeth I've had taken out at a time was 8. Adult teeth, no less. I was born with an extra set of molars in an already too-small mouth. dry.gif And I had to have my wisdom teeth taken out as well. Now, thanks to the wonders of modern orthodontics, I have 24 nicely aligned, non-crowded teeth. I'll have to wear a metal brace cemented behind my bottom front teeth for the rest of my life to keep them that way, but I don't mind. I think the pain was worth it.

I do miss having fangs, though...::sniffles::

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
The Lorax
post Dec 4 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #25

Superterriffic.

Member No.: 1,052

I currently have Braces and rubber bands unfortunately....but good news is i'm FINALLY getting them off on January third! First day back at school, and I get to miss math! Wooohoo!

--------------------
[center]Lets all get drunk, tonight.[/center]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:56 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!