Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Customs And Excise, Imports to UK
Pixelgoth
post Dec 3 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Flaps and spins on the spot

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 390

Does anyone know how much duty I'll be charged on gift items to the value of 20 approx. I bought some jade pieces for friends for Xmas and they are being sent by UPS from Malaysia (of all places). The goods totalled $39.85 and I know you can import gifts up to the value of 36 but if you've bought something the limit is 18.00. I can't find out anywhere (incl. the HM Customs and Excise web site which is just plain confusing) what they'll charge me if anything sad.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Dec 3 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #2

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I honestly have no idea about how much they might charge you, but it might be worth asking at your local Post Office? I dunno. Hope you get it sorted in time wink.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Dec 3 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #3

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Dec 3 2004, 02:38 PM)
I honestly have no idea about how much they might charge you, but it might be worth asking at your local Post Office?  I dunno.  Hope you get it sorted in time wink.gif

It totally depends on what the item is. Customs and Excise charge different rates for different stuff. Could be anywhere between 0% and 80%.

Your best bet is to be underhand, and mark it as a gift worth less than 10 when you send it, then you're in no bother.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Dec 3 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

I made the mistake of saying the I'd bought the iPod myself when they phoned me...charged me 40 which was about how much I saved buying it in the US...I just wish Apple had sent it when I was still out there....bugger them!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Dec 3 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #5

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

On a totally different but related topic - You in England may see parcels coming back to you from Canada. It was saying on the radio this morning that Canada customs is returning parcels for the daft reason that the return address "is not properly in the upper lefthand corner of the parcel." dry.gif
I'd say as long as the return address is present and obviously the return address it should be let into Canada. I had no idea terrorists could pose as loving relatives and friends. rolleyes.gif

I have no idea what duty might be charged on your parcels, sorry. Hope it isn't too much.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 4 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

I've sent boxes of things to Canada before (12 Samurai Lapin T-shirts to be precise) and they didn't seem bothered about my placement of the label. Then again, where exactly is 'top left' on a box?

Pixie, I had a similarly priced DVD set sent to me from Hong Kong (from the ever fantastic CD Wow website, which is great if you like imports) and they stopped it for customs to the sum of about 9.

Essentially, it depends how it's labelled. If it's got the price on it then you'll probably have to pay the import, if not then the chances are that they won't open it to find out if you're being naughty so you'll probably get away with it.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Dec 4 2004, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

Well i imported a game from America now, well actually 3 at diffrent times.

First one was $68.00 they charged me 16.50 VAT.

Second was $48.00 No VAT.

Third was Thursday $68.00 they charged me 16.50 VAT.

That may help you to guide the price range, if you still need i can get you the VAT helpline number that should help.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Dec 4 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #8

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 4 2004, 12:10 AM)
Essentially, it depends how it's labelled. If it's got the price on it then you'll probably have to pay the import, if not then the chances are that they won't open it to find out if you're being naughty so you'll probably get away with it.

Indeed. I get things ordered from Japan such as remote control equipment and I never get charged anything for import. This is because it's always labelled as 'toy' parts( even though inside is is specifically noted that they are not toys). Even 350 worth of transmitter got away with it. A freind told me about a company that used to mark r/c equipment as 'scented candles'. Worked for a while, but they got busted. Hefty fine I think.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Dec 6 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #9

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (Spacehappy @ Dec 4 2004, 10:11 AM)
Well i imported a game from America now, well actually 3 at diffrent times.

First one was $68.00 they charged me 16.50 VAT.

Second was $48.00 No VAT.

Third was Thursday $68.00 they charged me 16.50 VAT.

That may help you to guide the price range, if you still need i can get you the VAT helpline number that should help.

I've imported about 7 games from Canada, and never had to pay a penny on it - I think because it's labelled as a gift.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Dec 7 2004, 01:39 PM
Post #10

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Thankfully I didn't have to pay anything. I was worried as I deal with customs every day when we export and they are totally a law unto themselves rolleyes.gif Anyway the nice people in Malaysia obviously had experience of this sort of thing and had listed everything as totally under $20 which came well under 18 so I was sorted biggrin.gif I think DVD's are a stock 9 customs charge if they are over 18 as Ed has ordered box sets from CD WOW and he was charged that both times.

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 02:24 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!