IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Much Rage At Local Newspaper, pixies debriefed in bad article!
elphaba2
post Dec 9 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Lord of the Keys

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,329

I was flipping through my local papers' entertainment section (its a magazine-like thing) and the cover blared advertisement for an article about the Pixies. "Yay!" I thought. "I enjoy listening to the Pixies."

And yet, there was something odd about the article. The headline read "Death To The Pixies: Eight New York shows sold out in minutes when the Pixies announced a reunion tour. Do they deserve to be considered this influential?"

After I finished staring at the article in stunned silence, I read the article. The author, a certain Kevin Canfield, seems to have a lot of bottled-up rage towards the Pixies, as he constantly finds a way to debase their name. The article is kicked off with "Nobody writes about the Pixies without blathering on about how "influential" they were." He goes on to (though obliquely) accuse the Pixies of being sellouts and to defile the name of Black Francis.

I guessed from looking around that this is a rather pro-Pixies board, so I just thought I'd share the rage a bit. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience? Should I bombard the Kevin Canfield with angry emails?

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 10 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I can sort of see where he's coming from, in that until Dayan I don't think I'd ever heard of The Pixies, and then over the last 12 months there has been a massive surge in interest, with everyone jumping on the bandwagon to talk about their influence. Perhaps I'm musically uneducated (which really is a very large possibility) but if not many people had heard of them then it's hard to see their influence.

However, their influence was felt through Nirvana, who took The Pixies' formula and made it a commercial success... But even then technically you've got to give that to Nirvana rather than The Pixies otherwise it's like saying that no person can have individual greatness because they have always benn influenced by other people.

The music made by The Pixies is still great, but I frankly have no idea about the justification, or lack of it, for claiming their supreme influence over the music of the last fifteen years.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Dec 10 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #3

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

In fairness, most of the board (older members at least, including myself) wouldn't know about the Pixies if it wasn't for Dayan, I didn't actually buy the Doolittle album until after his funeral....though it was a matter of hours....

Having not put much research into it I can't say I think that they were an influence to popular music in the way perhaps the Beatles were, though I've not put much research into the whole progression of popular music, but i can see a similarity between the Pixies and Red Hot Chili Peppers...but that may just be because they're of the same era. A good band they were, but influential? I can't say...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
FurryMammal
post Dec 10 2004, 09:31 AM
Post #4

Secret Electric Pants Buffer

Group: New Members
Member No.: 559

I was aware of them for a while, having seen the name on a couple of music channels, but I can't remember when I first heard of them. The first time I heard a track and pricked up my ears to really listen was at the end of Fight Club ('Where is my mind' plays the opening of the credits). From there, I downloaded a few songs, bought Surfer Rosa and Come on Pilgrim, then bought Doolittle a little later after that. This was around the time I joined these forums, so it was good seeing someone with a pixies name biggrin.gif

--------------------
George Bush- the world's worst winner.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Dec 11 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #5

Lord of the Keys

I can sort of see where he's coming from

Mata......I'm a girl......(edit: whoops I just relized I should not post when not lucid. Just realized he was talking about "kevin canfield". I'm not crazy....really....)

I found out about them after hearing a duet they did with Radiohead and downloaded some of their stuff. "Bone Machine" was really what did it for me, so I I got Surfer Rosa and have enjoyed it ever since.After that, I bought their *cringe* greatest hits, which is actually a decent compilation.

i can see a similarity between the Pixies and Red Hot Chili Peppers

Wow! I'm not crazy. I've seen the same thing and it's hard to place my finger on exactly how they're similar, but they are a bit.

I guess what really bothered me was that he used such a contreversial headline for something so petty. Does an article about their influence really require a headline like "Death to the Pixies?"

This post has been edited by elphaba2: Dec 12 2004, 06:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Dec 11 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #6

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

Death to the Pixies was used by the band themselves, so it really isn't that evil.

And sorry if this sounds bad, but who is Dayan?

The music made by The Pixies isn't all that amazing, it's good to listen to, and I think Doolittle was a very good album, but Surfa Roser lacked in quality for me, and they were just an average band. I think he was just angry about how everyone says they were "Oh so great", when they were a good band, just not exactly The Clash.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Dec 12 2004, 01:42 AM
Post #7

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

And sorry if this sounds bad, but who is Dayan?

If you don't know then you're not looking hard enough.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Dec 12 2004, 04:34 AM
Post #8

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Since this is kind of a music discussion, I'm moving it to Media...

FYI, Mutilation, Dayan was a forum member who committed suicide a little over a year ago. He was a Pixies fanatic and many of us use their music to remember him.

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Dec 12 2004, 04:48 AM
Post #9

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

i just heard the pixies for the first time 3 days ago.... and they flipping rule i'll have tro buy an album when i have money so probably marchish if not may soin the mean time which album is worth it's weight in gold?

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Dec 12 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #10

Lord of the Keys

However, their influence was felt through Nirvana, who took The Pixies' formula and made it a commercial success... But even then technically you've got to give that to Nirvana rather than The Pixies otherwise it's like saying that no person can have individual greatness because they have always benn influenced by other people.

Playing devil's advocate, one could say that Nirvana made the Pixies' formula "safe" for greater popularity. Clearly, as demonstrated by Mutilation, not everyone finds the Pixies that great, so Nirvana allowed for wider appeal by perhaps lessening the rawness of the music...?

Another thing I just realized is that the Pixies seem to have influenced Modest Mouse a great deal, whether or not Isaac Brock is aware of this is the question. Both bands seem to have similar sounds, from the vocalist whose voice is not traditionally pretty in any sense, disjointed sounds off the beat that may or may not be guitars (think "Dark Center of the Universe" and "Tame") coupled with a just-slightly-off drumbeat ("Bukowski", "Broken Face") causing a sound I consider addictive.

Aaaanyway. Responses anyone?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Asenyth
post Dec 26 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #11

squeek.

Member No.: 1,427

Well, I agree with Mutilation as far as saying The Pixies are CERTAINLY not The Clash. The Clash is a band that has influenced pretty much everyone in music and liberal politics especially those in music today. This is not to say that The Pixes aren't a great band. They are an AWESOME band, and they DEEPLY influenced Nirvana which is obvious as a bleached mark on a black sweatshirt. Nirvana became more popular because and only because they stuck with one kind of sound unlike the Pixies who tried a whole bunch of music flavors and went with where the wind blew them. You can see the extreme differences in what The Pixies did from song to song really well in 'Death to the Pixes' their compilation album. But I digress. The Pixies were the main influence on Nirvana, Nirvana is the main influence and minor influence to most stuff people listen/ed to in the 90's and today. To try to say that the Pixies were not a major influence on music is CRAZY. I mean, alternative rock STARTED with the Pixies. You grow up 30 minutes from Boston and you live and die by this stuff. End of. And on the similarity between the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the Pixies I would pin upon the bass. The bass work in the Pixies and the Red Hots is a very large part of the songs. Yay Pixies! Yay Music! Kill Kevin Canfield Because He's an Idiot!

--------------------
I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does. - The Smiths

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Dec 27 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #12

Lord of the Keys

I think part of the bass similarity is that Kim Deal and Flea are both really skilled bassists (Flea; Kim Deal= <3) and weren't relegated to the bass work for most other bands, which is "G *pause* E *pause* G again"--they were both imaginative enough to come up with cool bass lines and were important members of the band/songwriting/etc *mumbles off*

Anyway, I thought this thread had died, but it hasn't quite. Hooray!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 28 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #13

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Dec 12 2004, 04:48 AM)
i just heard the pixies for the first time 3 days ago.... and they flipping rule i'll have tro buy an album when i have money so probably marchish if not may soin the mean time which album is worth it's weight in gold?

The album 'Death to the Pixies' is pretty much the essential tracks from their albums so is probably the best one to get in my opinion.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Mar 10 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #14

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

I got doolittle today.
I now have a greater understanding of the music I've allways taken for granted biggrin.gif
PS they rule.

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 11 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #15

Lord of the Keys

Anyway, I thought this thread had died, but it hasn't quite. Hooray!

That is all.

(not really)

Doolittle is a great one, but I quite liked Surfer Rosa as well. "River Euphrates" is addictive for some crazy reason. I mean it's just moaning, but I love it. A lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 02:45 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!