IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holiday Traditions, what are yours like?
Quoth(The Raven)
post Dec 15 2004, 04:39 AM
Post #1

Meow!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,296

I have been decorating my artificial tree, the last few days, and, as I got out the decorations, each of them reminded me of when I got them. A trio of angels (One with a broken wing) reminded me of the friend who gave them to me, whom I haven't heard from in awhile... Three spun glass ornaments made me think of my sister, who gave them to me to save them from her cats... an ornament showing a bird in it's nest came from my mother, who always maintains that it's good luck to have a bird's nest in the Christmas tree... a simple, handmade ornament reminds me of my brother, who has been dead several years, now... I still have the first set of lights I ever bought myself, even though the 'red' bulbs on one of the two strands refuse to light... and the Tree, and many of the other ornaments came from scrounging in after Christmas sales at Target, where I worked for three years.

Decorating for Christmas is often a pain, but each year, it takes me down memory lane, and I'll always be grateful...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Dec 15 2004, 06:03 AM
Post #2

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

[/QUOTE]Decorating for Christmas is often a pain, but each year, it takes me down memory lane, and I'll always be grateful...

me too i just hate that this year my siblings either whined or argued while we decorated. they're spoiled brats

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Dec 15 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

One tradition that would have had Mum annoyed with us is the turkey dressing tradition that has sprung up. She never wanted to do a huge cook before the Christmas feast so she'd usually just make twice the turkey dressing ( a meat dressing ) and give us all sandwiches at lunch with what was leftover after stuffing the bird. Since she has been gone, we've gotten lax on making the feast but still make up the turkey dressing sandwiches for lunch faithfully. smile.gif

I like the memories triggered by the old familiar tree ornaments as well. I look forward to having my own tree some day. It warms the heart to see Dad carefully unpack a piece of wood with a hole in it that you painted in Grade 2 and place it in a highly visible spot on the tree.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Dec 16 2004, 02:57 AM
Post #4

Meow!

On Christmas Morn (Or afternoon, or evening... whenever we could all get together...), my family takes turns opening gifts. We start with the youngest (And therefore the most impatient), and work our way to the eldest. This way, each of us can see the reaction to each gift... and the young ones can play with their toys and gifts. I didn't know how much I treasured this tradition until one year, when inlaws hosted the festivities, and everyone simply ripped and teared, simultaneously. It was all over in less than five minutes, and left me steaming. I actually cried on the way home, I was so frustrated and miserable. Christmas, to me, isn't getting things... That's the aftermath of Christmas. Christmas, to me, is seeing the look on someone's face when you've gotten them the perfect gift... When you're happy, because you've made someone else happy - THAT's Christmas...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Dec 16 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #5

Meow!

[quote=depressed lonely crazy person,Dec 15 2004, 02:03 AM]
[/QUOTE]Decorating for Christmas is often a pain, but each year, it takes me down memory lane, and I'll always be grateful...

me too i just hate that this year my siblings either whined or argued while we decorated. they're spoiled brats

[/quote]

Well, I think we all start out that way... traditions, though, help us grow, help us see how we connect with others... Without traditions, the holidays would just be greed fests. I think that that's what most of us complain about, when we complain of how commercial the holidays have become... It's getting harder to connect with any kind of meaning... But meaning is there. We just have to look a bit harder to find it....

--------------------

+Quote Post
ishchibi
post Dec 16 2004, 04:15 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,534

I live in a family of atheists so christmas doesn't mean much to us other than an excuse out of work and a way to see the family, and then again, isn't that what Thanksgiving is? We have big meals, exchange gifts, nothing special.

I just have no Christmas spirit this year. It just doesn't appeal to me. Am I sick in the head or is this normal?

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Dec 16 2004, 04:23 AM
Post #7

Meow!

QUOTE (ishchibi @ Dec 16 2004, 12:15 AM)
I live in a family of atheists so christmas doesn't mean much to us other than an excuse out of work and a way to see the family, and then again, isn't that what Thanksgiving is? We have big meals, exchange gifts, nothing special.

I just have no Christmas spirit this year. It just doesn't appeal to me. Am I sick in the head or is this normal?

Pretty much Normal. With everyone/everything telling you to be Merry... Well, it's just too bloody much pressure. It sounds like you do have traditions... they're just not spoken out loud. Try to see it as a time to be close to your loved ones, and don't stress. A holiday is just a day... What you put into it or take from it is your choice, just like any other day. Okay?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Dec 17 2004, 02:18 AM
Post #8

Meow!

My stepfather is Jewish, so we celebrate Christmas and Chanukah. Or, rather, He and my Half-brother do. The rest of us just have Christmas. Still, it's nice to have traditions of more than one faith. I just may have to add a menorah to my Holiday decorations...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Dec 17 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 1,371

My mum is Jewish but my dad is supposed to be christian but actually an atheist and so we celebrate chanukah and christmas aswell. Just we only really celebrate christmas because that's how it is in this country. I want to try and skip christmas one year. hehe. Anyway, we usually get real christmas trees because they make the house smell all piney and every year we go to this carol service at a church with parents friends and my aunties and all that. But although we've got the christmas tree and I've started on the christmas shopping already, I just don't feel that kind of.. buzz that you get around christmas.... dry.gif

--------------------
If I die before I'm waked, allow me lord to rock out naked :b

VOTE BROTHER BLACK SHEEP.. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Dec 17 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #10

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

I do all the cooking and all the driving over christmas, Mum and Dad get spoilt smile.gif
oh, and we always have bread and ham for breakfast on christmas day!

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Dec 17 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #11

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

Vati's a preacher, so for us I suppose it's never gone as secular as it has for a lot of families. This year we got a real tree for the first time in ages--my brother's asthma kept us from it--and it's really nice, even if we did have to tie it to the windows with twine to keep it from tipping over. hee. Same here, Quoth(The Raven): we take turns opening things. I love watching people's faces, too. I get more excited about that than the actual presents. ^^;;

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Dec 18 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #12

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Well, Chanukah's over now, but the decorations are still up, I think.

Nonetheless: Our parents always gave us large bags filled with little things - a silver dollar, mints, gum, and candy. We still get one each year. I am not sure every family sings the prayers ridiculously off-key, but we do. Accenting the Hebrew "ch" sound always makes my sisters laugh. Usually the biggest present is on the last day. And lately, instead of Christmas lights, we have put up our large electric menorah.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Dec 22 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #13

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

The other half and I have two special traditions that we observe every year.

The first is the butchering of an angel for the top of the tree. We take her wings and halo and then we attach them to this little sqeaky skeleton we have. Said skeleton gets tied to the top of the tree and is redeemed for Christmas.

The second is the Great Tinsle Argument. He likes it, I hate it and we can argue for at least three days prior to actually erecting the tree whether we will have it or not.

For the first time in five years, I have won the argument and there is no tinsle on the tree. Yay me!!! biggrin.gif

Oh - and we always have Martini Asti with the Christmas meal.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Black-Wings
post Dec 22 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #14

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 1,371

Accenting the Hebrew "ch" sound always makes my sisters laugh. Usually the biggest present is on the last day.

Hmmm.. only me and my mum can pronounce that.. we just laugh at my dad and sister... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If I die before I'm waked, allow me lord to rock out naked :b

VOTE BROTHER BLACK SHEEP.. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Dec 22 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

We don't have much in the way of traditions, especially since my great-grandparents passed. Usually, the bossiest person in the house (translation: my sisters) decorates the tree demanding help from me and my brother. On Christmas day, we have cinnamon rolls and the bossiest person hands out presents. My dad has been recording Christmas morning on his POS camera for over twenty years. From before Thanksgiving until after New Year's, my mom plays Christmas music non-stop (and I hate it). After we get our stuff, we scatter. Later, we usually eat at someone's house because my mom can't cook and I sit there and hate it. THis year, I'm visiting my girlfriend, so I'm happy for the most part, even though, except fot the fact that it celebrates the birth of our Lord and Savior, I f*cking hate Christmas.

Oh, and my brother and I sleep in my bed Christmas Eve. Why? I don't know.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Dec 23 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #16

Meow!

QUOTE (Black-Wings @ Dec 22 2004, 03:55 PM)
Accenting the Hebrew "ch" sound always makes my sisters laugh. Usually the biggest present is on the last day.

Hmmm.. only me and my mum can pronounce that.. we just laugh at my dad and sister... rolleyes.gif

I'm taking Spanish, and they have that "CH" sound, too... Apparently, THEY got it when Spain was conquered by the Arabians, centuries ago. Hebrew comes from the same part of the world as Arabic, so maybe... at any rate, it IS a funny sound... almost like you're getting ready to spit on something... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Dec 23 2004, 04:35 AM
Post #17

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

our traditions include: putting the same, ratty, worn down star from when my parents first got married, on the tree.
getting pajamas on christmas eve (usally cute, christmas-print ones, but never flanel, always cotten)
leave cookies and water for "santa". (he dosn't get eggnog or milk because my dad says they they make him... um I mean sata, gassy)
we open one present on christmas eve, which is usally the pajamas.
we always decorate our house in BLUE LIGHTS ONLY except for the tree, which is inside, so it dosen't count anyway. (new trandition, may not last long)

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Dec 24 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #18

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

At first I'd say we dont have any traditions.... except I guess we kind of do. We celebrate christmas the German way.... on christmas eve you have a nice dinner- late. Its just our little family, Me, my brother and my parents, and we sit down and have dinner, they talk and I listen. I dont usually have much to say on the topics they like to talk about. After dinner we relax a bit and I'm always the one to bug to go open presents. Usually. We open ours one at a time and its been this way since I was little, my brother always makes his funny faces- sort of like "Uughh look what they got me" and its rather funny, I'm the smiley one and love anything I get, my dad always seems to get a tie because he has everything else and mom always gets something she doesnt really like because she doesnt seem to like anything.

This year though.... I'm not sure. I always liked the present part of christmas, I've always had something I really wanted to get but.... this year I'm not sure. My parents asked me a couple of times what I wanted and I said nothing, because I really wanted to meet my boyfriend.... but I cant have that. Nope.

This year is just depressing, though we're keeping to 'tradition' like always. We changed the dinner from fondu to whatever.... I think mom wants to make croquetes (sp?) and courdon bleu.... meh.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Dec 24 2004, 04:59 AM
Post #19

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

I now have to go to bed in preperation for tommorow night... does that make since.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:46 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!