Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi all,

In this post:

Samurai Lapin Part Four
Krark The Penguin
Waffle
Blatant plug for Little Goth Girl merchandise

Things have been happening behind the scenes at Matazone. I've been getting my new server slowly configured and hopefully it should finally be up and running within a month. There's tweaking to be done, but it's getting there!

Anyway, you're here for the animations, so, there's a new Samurai Lapin story. I like this one a lot; it's nice and quiet with many little touches on the animation and the sound. Here's the link:

http://www.matazone.co.uk/animpages/samura...-animation.html

For a change, it's also a nice and small file too.

I've also made an animation about a small penguin called Krark. I fancied trying out a different style of character design and animation, and I think that the visuals are really very nice, as well as the animation having a suitably apocalyptic resolution... I know it's not very Christmas-y, but that just seems to be the way that my mind runs when I'm writing things!

http://www.matazone.co.uk/animpages/krark-...-animation.html

Again, the file size is quite small so you shouldn't have to wait too long for the download.

It might be a while before my next animation. As I've said in previous posts here, I'm just into my final year of my PhD thesis and so there will be some fairly hefty gaps while I get on with writing that. It's a lot of hard work, but it will be over this time next year and then I'll have loads of free time to make animations again.

As always, join up with my mailing list and you'll be the first to be told when new animations go online. If you've got friends that you think will like my stuff then encourage them to join up too. The more the merrier 'n' all that.

Also, people in the UK should look in their local small gothy shops for Little Goth Girl bags. There are three designs, and a few different styles. I reckon they're damn cool, but then again I would say that. Anyway, check them out. If your local shop doesn't have the bags, then ask them to order the Matazone bags in from Blue Banana (the lovely guys who are making and distributing it all for me).

That's it for this time. 'Hope you all have a great time over the next few weeks. Watch out for stupid drunk people, especially those armed with motor vehicles ('tis the season for that sort of idiocy) and I look forward to seeing you all safe and sound next time.

Have fun,

Mata

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Dec 19 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

I watched Lapin 4 and Krark with my brother. We seriously dug them. Rick says, "Yeah, they're awesome, but I like the second one better." He then went on a rant about Flash animation. As for me, the Lapin 4 animation struck me and actually gave me something to think about. THanks, Mata.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Dec 19 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #3

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

Lapin was great and thought-provoking, as always (although they always make me wonder somewhat how traumatised that kid must be to wake up with bunny guts on his bed. After a while, wouldn't his parents start to seriously wonder?) Anyway. Krark was...special. I am apalled with you, Mata. And with penguins, too. That said, it was the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time. I loves 'em. *nearly takes out someone's eyes with thumbs-up*

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Dec 19 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #4

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

I really liked the lapin animation and the penguin one was a bit disturbing.
but that's okay, disturbing is good.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 19 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

I figure that there was something for regulars on my site and something for new people. Everyone's happy!

I rather like Krark, so I might make more of them in the future. I doubt anyone will really mind if I keep on bringing him back to life and killing him off occasionally.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Dec 19 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #6

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

These have probably been some of my favourite animations, visually, you've done - there seems to be a lot more little details and it all seems to be a bit... smoother. That makes sense in my head but may not for everyone else. Anyhoo - the way it flows seems far more complimentary to Lapin.

And, also - cutest polar bear ever.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Dec 19 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #7

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

And, also - cutest polar bear ever.

I know!! The polar bear was sooooooooo cute!!!

</soppiness>

I liked Lapin 4 the best out of all the Lapin animations so far, and Krark was just... funny. In an evil kind of way. Muahahaha...

Thanks for the new animations Mata! You never fail to please! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Dec 19 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #8

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 15

If I ever have a kid, I'm going to buy him a small stuffed penguin and tell him the story of Krark. And then wake him up in the middle of the night waving a large stuffed squid in his face. biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, two very nice animations. And good luck with the PHD.

*goes back into hiding*

+Quote Post
saucy_tara
post Dec 19 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Destructogirl...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 124

Gerbil!!! Hugs!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Dec 19 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #10

If I ever have a kid, I'm going to buy him a small stuffed penguin and tell him the story of Krark. And then wake him up in the middle of the night waving a large stuffed squid in his face.

And he will end up more traumatised than the kid that LGG babysat. tongue.gif

--------------------
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 20 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #11

GERB!!!! How are you? Long time no see. Come back soon!

I was using a slightly different technique to animate Lapin this time. It's a bit more time intensive, but gives a far greater feeling of depth. I also did something else with the animation that gives a greater feeling of weight to the characters, did anyone notice what was new? It's the first time I've bothered doing it, but I thought it would help.

Krark was also slightly differently done from my usual animations. Partly this was because of the visual style, but also this was due to the framerate. Usually I animate at 25 frames per second, which is the same framerate as British television (US is 24 fps), but for this one I decided to animate at 50 fps. It gives a smoother quality to the visuals, but it makes the animating a bit more fiddly because it's harder to judge pacing, meaning I have to watch it countless times to make sure that everything is spot on the way that I want it to be.

There is also a slight liberty that I have taken the with Krark animation, can anyone work out what it was?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Dec 20 2004, 01:22 AM
Post #12

I love the way you made ozaki's ears twitch every once in a while.
You seemed to really pay attention to fine detail. I like that.
you also use shadowing just right to capture what the whole mood of the animation was.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Dec 20 2004, 06:10 AM
Post #13

Shut up, noob!

By the way, the more I watch the Lapin 4 animation, the more I believe that there's sexual tension between Lapin and Ozaki.

Oh, and Rick says the animation on Lapin for is "Bad-ass, man."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 20 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #14

Sexual tension? *laughs* That's an interesting reading... Are you sure that's not projection Ri? wink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Dec 20 2004, 11:13 AM
Post #15

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Krark? I used to have a big Zoid called Krark: The Prince of Darkness, or some other similarly foolish name. I saved up for weeks for it. It wasn't as good as Gore: The Lord Protector, who was a bit gorilla, but his arm snapped off when I took him to Simon Horswell's house in my bag, and no amount of Prittstik would keep it back on.

Look..

That's Krark right there. Watch out Mata, you'll have a Zoids lawyer on your case...

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 20 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #16

Considering he's not a zoid I think I'll be safe enough.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Dec 20 2004, 04:17 PM
Post #17

Shut up, noob!

Come on, man. He gives a speech on expecting nothing then goes to watch the first snowflake fall on the handle of his katana. If I was that smooth and could catch a snowflake on the handle of a sword, I wouldn't have had so many miserable first dates. If not for the ninja evil bunny that Lapin had to impale, he could have put his thing down, leaned foreward, kissed Ozaki and said something like, "Did you expect that?"to which she could have replied, "No, but I wasn't suprised. Now, how am I to react to that?" "That is up to you," (Ozaki kisses Lapin, pan out to the little kid's room, the end)

Okay, maybe I am weird, but I still see it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Dec 20 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #18

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ Dec 19 2004, 05:42 PM)
If I ever have a kid, I'm going to buy him a small stuffed penguin and tell him the story of Krark. And then wake him up in the middle of the night waving a large stuffed squid in his face. biggrin.gif

huh.gif Someone mak sure he never has kids 0.0; .... Well. You could do without the squid waving part.... thats a bit too cruel.

QUOTE (Righteous @ Dec 20 2004, 12:17 PM)
Come on, man. He gives a speech on expecting nothing then goes to watch the first snowflake fall on the handle of his katana. If I was that smooth and could catch a snowflake on the handle of a sword, I wouldn't have had so many miserable first dates. If not for the ninja evil bunny that Lapin had to impale, he could have put his thing down, leaned foreward, kissed Ozaki and said something like, "Did you expect that?"to which she could have replied, "No, but I wasn't suprised. Now, how am I to react to that?" "That is up to you," (Ozaki kisses Lapin, pan out to the little kid's room, the end)

I see it. Though it's not very suiting for the Samuri Lapin theme.... I'd be a bit dissapointed if mata made such a sappy animation with samuri lapin!

Anyway.... I really loved both of them. As always. I made my brother watch the Krark one (He doesnt usally like to watch Mata's animations.... dunno why) And he just sortah stared at the screen, nodded and made one of thoes faces that are sortah like "Totally...." I dont know how else to describe it. I laughed and he went back to doing laundry or something.

happy.gif Hehe. It was quite a morbid animation.... I love it.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Dec 20 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #19

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

As always I watched the animations when I should be doing something else but I seem to enjoy them more that way, Anyone else do this or is it just me?

And I agree with Righteous, you could have cut the tension in that animation with a knife.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Azrael The Cat
post Dec 20 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #20

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,228

ROTFLMFAO!!!

That Krark animation was pure awesomeness man! ohmy.gifD

That bear was cool, although it's paws reminded me of the gun turrets on the ED-209 robot from Robocop. tongue.gif In fact, when I first saw it, before registering the writting and the sound of your voice reading the writing, I thought it WAS ED, somehow repaired and come to murder our little daddy penguin on behalf of the buff penguin whose wife he hit accidentally on. tongue.gif ED would have turned to mercenary-ism now that he's out of a job. I was half expecting Alex Murphy to walk in and put him out of comission. tongue.gif

--------------------
I thought she would be Morticia to my Gomez, but she ended up being Lenore to my Mr. Gosh.

+Quote Post
Wasat
post Dec 21 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,270

I thought you had thrown in some 3D-ish tricks in Lapin, it was a nice touch.
Krank was just what it was supposed to be.

Also so you know US tv is at 30 fps (both are 1/2 the AC power frequency)
Film is 24 fps at least in the US.
/techie rant

--------------------
University of Delaware
BCPE '06 minor in CISC
MCPE '08? UoD? California? somewhere in UK? (Only time will tell)

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Dec 21 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #22

Ozaki's a girl? I always thought... um... it... was male and just spoke in a girly voice in order to be distinguishable from Lapin. Oh well. ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Lorax
post Dec 21 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #23

Superterriffic.

Member No.: 1,052

QUOTE (Righteous @ Dec 20 2004, 09:17 AM)

I see it too....but I doubt it'd happen.

--------------------
[center]Lets all get drunk, tonight.[/center]

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Dec 21 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #24

strange- I never saw that...
I honestly don't see anthing inbetween the two.

--------------------

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Dec 21 2004, 06:38 AM
Post #25

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

Sounds like a jingle! *Krak the penguin, loo-dee-doo!*

*There you have it, I can never sound smart. EVER. Damn my redneck blood.*

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 08:42 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!