Closed TopicStart new topic
> Anti Hip-hop
Mittens2317
post Jan 7 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,571

Why does everyone on these forums seem to be anti hip-hop? Are you all moshers or goths or something?

--------------------
Tribe Wyvern!!!
Vote brother black sheep in favorite animation!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jan 8 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #2

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Perhaps its because *shock* they don't like Hip-Hop because it's their own personal choice?

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jan 8 2005, 02:22 AM
Post #3

If my woman were a fire...

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,473

now, now little bear.

Where did you get the idea that everyone hates hip-hop?

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Jan 8 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #4

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (Mittens2317 @ Jan 8 2005, 08:00 AM)
Why does everyone on these forums seem to be anti hip-hop? Are you all moshers or goths or something?

Yes. Yes we are.

Did you *watch* the animations? Did you see little Goth Girl? Hmmmm?

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 8 2005, 04:07 AM
Post #5

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE(Mittens2317 @ Jan 8 2005, 08:00 AM)

Yes. Yes we are

I'm rather insulted at that, thank you. I'm Mike. I'm not a Goth, not a mosher. I'm simply Mike. Yay!

As is, this topic belongs in Media, methinks *calling all mods*. Anyway, I'm not anti hip-hop. I rather enjoy Bone Thugs 'N Harmony, and Public Enemy. Maybe a few others, but I don't really know. I just happen to like more musical music more... blues, swing, rock, jazz, etc.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jan 8 2005, 04:25 AM
Post #6

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

heheh Jaq.

I like my hip hop, , and my metal, and my soul, and my classical, and my rock, and my pop, and my electronic, and my blues, and my reggae, and my world, and my jazz, and my folk, and my funk (actually wub.gif) and anything else I like really tongue.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jan 8 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #7

omno-ahhhhhhh!

D'oh, I for got big band and swing too! Oh, and I watched Jungle Book earlier and I rather like the songs in it! *starts singing* Now don't try to kid me man cub...

Whoops, double post, pologies o0

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jan 8 2005, 06:08 AM
Post #8

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

I'm not a goth, though I do like to mosh on occasion. Modern hip-hop disgusts me, particularly when they rip off "Crazy Train" and "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and "Dream On" and "Sad But True" and other good songs.

I personally like a lot of stuff from classic rock to neo-prog to punk to Christian metal. I also enjoy tribal music, reggae and various old-school hip-hop. Some of the bands I like (311 and Mushroomhead) actually have a lot of rap elements in thes, save the oversized jewelry, goofy clothes and strange hand gestures.

I'm more against the content, depth and messages of modern hip-hop, but that's another arguement.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jan 8 2005, 06:10 AM
Post #9

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Not all modern hip hop is 'gangstas, b*tches, drugs and violence' Ri.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jan 8 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #10

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

I never said all of it was, however I would like to point out that the majority of hip-hop that comes to the attention of me and people of varying ages that I know has some of those elements. That and dammit, they ripped off "Crazy Train," "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," "Dream On" and "Sad But True."

There's some hip-hop I like or at least tolerate. Keep in mind, I also factor in Kid Rock and Fred Durst, er Limp Bizkit and other such artists.

To be fair, it could be said that metal is all about sex, drugs, violence and the devil. Some of them have a few elements (Mushroomhead only has one; try to guess which), however very rarely do you see all of that crap packed in there (which reminds me, Mayhem sucks; never listen to them).

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 8 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #11

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I'm personally not a big fan opf hip-hop because it seems to be mind-numbingly repetetive, but it's just my opinion. However, I wouldn't class myself as a goth or a mosher. I'm just the little cheese in the corner.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Jan 8 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #12

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

I don't like hip-hop, I'm definitely not a mosher and I'm not a goth either.

*is confused at how Mittens arrived at his conclusion*

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 8 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #13

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I don't think there've been posts saying anything about hating hip-hop. There are probably less than ten people on here who call themselves goths, and none who call themselves moshers. I like some old hip-hop (DJ Shadow and Gift of Gab are both awesome) but popular modern hip-hop seems to glorify pimps, drugs and shooting people, so I tend to avoid it. Rappers like Jay-Z and artist-formerly-known-as-puff-daddy are more businessmen than artists and I don't think they had the same feel for music as some of the oldsters did.

QUOTE(Mittens2317 @ Jan 8 2005, 08:00 AM)

Yes. Yes we are

As a side note: Mike, I'm fairly positive that was sarcasm.

So that, Mittens, in 849 characters, is the meaning of life. Enjoy.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jan 8 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #14

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Well, I am a goth (well, for a given amount of "goth" - we'll just say that I'm wearing all black right now and I spent New Year's at a goth club and leave at that, shall we?) and trust me when I say that I am all about the rhymes and the beats. Ever heard of MC Frontalot? The man has some phat rhymes, check him out. Same goes for Optimus Rhyme. Kool Keith is pretty great as well.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mittens2317
post Jan 8 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #15

Super advanced member

I just assumed that most were moshers and goths and disliked hip-hop due to what people say in the forums and the way they react and reply to other posts.

--------------------
Tribe Wyvern!!!

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jan 8 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #16

What exactly do you mean, Mittens? Can you provide examples?

Also, the image in your signature is larger than forum rules allow; please remove it.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mittens2317
post Jan 8 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #17

Super advanced member

Where are the rules though?

And whaddya mean whaddo a mean?

--------------------
Tribe Wyvern!!!

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jan 8 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #18

The relevant thread is here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mittens2317
post Jan 8 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #19

Super advanced member

Two things:

1) The same height as my avatar? It is a piss take right?

2) It's a tribute, can't you just make an exception?

--------------------
Tribe Wyvern!!!

+Quote Post
ravein
post Jan 8 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #20

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Member No.: 40

As much as I appreciate Marc Vivien we are unable to allow a sig of that size. There are bandwidth issues and its causes pages to load slowly for people on dial up.
Plus if we make an exception for you we will have to explain to everyone why he or she can't have a large photo in his or her signatures. So no it is not a "piss take". Please resize your photo.
Also please try not to make assumptions about the population of this forum; I am sure you will find a very diverse collection of members here. However they will extend a warmer greeting when you don’t make assumptions or typecast
Thanks,
Ravein
Mod Team

PS. Not goth and I love R&B and Techno.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
saucy_tara
post Jan 8 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #21

Destructogirl...

Member No.: 124

Here are THE RULES
And if you are a moderator yourself Mittens, you should know how annoying it gets when you have to keep repeating yourself over and over again to people who just don't listen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Jan 8 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #22

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Yeah, what they said.

Only, I do hate hip hop. And I'm probably a goth. But on the whole hip hop really does suck.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Mittens2317
post Jan 8 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #23

Super advanced member

ravien: Not flaming or owt, but I doubt you even know who Foe is.
Saucy Tara: Good point.
Snugglebum the asshole: Shut-up you-filthy-streak-of-pss

This post has been edited by Mittens2317: Jan 8 2005, 10:08 PM

--------------------
Tribe Wyvern!!!

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Jan 8 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #24

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Snugglebum the asshole: Shut-up you-filthy-streak-of-pss

You're cute. tongue.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
ravein
post Jan 8 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #25

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Member No.: 40

Great midfielder who died of a heart condition while playing against Colombia. And since it seems that no one can discuss something without resorting to name calling, I am locking this thread. Once again I suggest everyone calm down and start over.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 05:49 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!