Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apology
Mittens2317
post Jan 9 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #1

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,571

Okay, so a lot of you have got off to a bad start with me, well here's a message to all of you:

I'M SORRY!!!

There. But I just want to make it clear that it was others who instigated all of what happened. Check the threads I'm Mittens, Who? and Anti Hip-Hop, and you will see that it was NOT me who started everything off, and I had even apologised once (twice including the first since being allowed back). So, just don't try and get on my back, because $|-||7 happens, and what's worse, it happens to me!

--------------------
Tribe Wyvern!!!
Vote brother black sheep in favorite animation!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Jan 9 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #2

Meow!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,296

???????????????????????????

What was this?

???????????????????????????

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jan 9 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #3

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

......you didn't instigate this....? Man, I hate it when people refuse to take responsibility for their actions....
/semi rant

But I'll accept your appology. Follow the rules and post nice now and we'll all get along from here.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jan 9 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #4

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

I have read all three threads, and in each case it is my opinion and the consensus of all the other moderators that it was you who broke the rules. If you think you've been treated unfairly, feel free to PM Mata about it. I can promise you that he'll examine the issue impartially.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Jan 9 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #5

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Member No.: 1,379

Good that you have man smile.gif No biggie from now I recon (although thats just my opinion- I wouldnt like to presume;) )
Something about bridges and water seems relevant

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 9 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Oooooo yay!!!! We can all be friends!!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 9 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #7

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Right. Well, once bitten. Apology accepted, but... whatever.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jan 9 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #8

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

Yay another friend!!!! (P.S I kinda like the hip hop I have heard...)

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 9 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #9

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

There does appear to have been some misunderstandings in the threads, but I would say that Mittens2317 does bear the most responsibility. Here's why:

Swearing.

Yep, Mittens2317, you say that in life you swear like a trooper, fair enough, that's your choice, but around here I don't allow it. There are several reasons for this, and there is also a reason why I don't use a swear-filter.

1 Swearing makes language seem more aggressive than it is intended to be. This is why I say that the majority of blame for the misunderstandings lays with you. By using swear words, it places emotional intensity on the points you are making, if there is confusion over your meaning in those points then it makes the reader sway towards believing that the post is written in anger. When something is interpreted to have been written in anger then others will respond to this.

2 Swearing clouds communication. As was demonstrated by the 'Who?' thread when swearing became involved, posts that were intended to be more light-hearted were taken to be serious, creating misinterpretation of intention.

3 Swearing is not needed for everyday communication. The point of a forum is that people write messages to each-other and exchange information. I know that sounds like stating the obvious, but it is often overlooked. That's why I have a rule that encourages people who have reached an impasse in discussions to agree to leave without resolution; when information is no longer being exchanged then there is no more communication occurring. Swearing, as mentioned in previous points, leads people to understand words in certain ways. Sometimes this will be desirable, but most times words such as 'extremely' will convey the same meaning (without the aggressive overtones) prompting responses that have interpreted your meaning more accurately.

4 Swear filters do nothing to cloud the above issues. If the word 'fuck' is replaced every time it appears with 'duckflaps' then soon people will equate the two and just read the swearword instead of 'duckflaps'. The aggression and limitation of communication still happens. I would rather users of my forums willingly adapt the ways in which they use language so that they can talk with each-other more effectively. I think that this is a more positive approach than placing artificial rules onto their language which only disguise the problem rather than address its source. To use a social metaphor, its the equivalent of sorting out why there are too few jobs and poverty rather than arresting people for drug dealing to pay the bills. Yes, people shouldn't deal drugs or steal, but if there are few options for how to get an income then there is something that needs to be addressed there (yes, I know that's a heavy-handed example, but I hope you get my point). It requires everyone to work together and make an effort, but the results are worth it.

5 Swearing is sometimes important. If a person's friend has just tried to kill themself then, if they feel the need, I want them to be able to swear about this. There are times when swearing is appropriate, such as when it is cathartic, and I would not want people to have their mode of expression limited by swear-filters for those times, but it is only in extreme circumstances such as this when swearing becomes appropriate. This is a forum on a website of animations. It is very rare that topics will require such emotional intensity of language to be correctly addressed and so swearing will rarely be appropriate.

Much as smilies are not a part of formal English, I do encourage their use by people who often find their posts misinterpreted. A ';) ' after a line that is a joke can clarify meaning efficiently without detracting from the humour.

While I'm here, I'll answer your PM about the size of sigs, because it is related.

A while ago on these forums it was getting to the point where a lot of users had large graphics and lots of text in their sigs. It would frequently be the case that a screen would have more sig on it than actual posts. As stated above, a forum is about communication, and usually sigs only contain information that people would need to see once, if ever. For this reason I ask that people keep tight control over their sigs so that when a screen loads we actually get to read what people have written about the topic rather than something they put in a file three months ago and forgot about.

In answer to your question in the other thread, why am I famous when all famous English people seem to be in comedy, films, or are gay... Admittedly, describing me as famous is being a little generous with the term, but I am becoming quite well-known among some groups of people. Anyway, I make short, dark comedy animations, and I'm bisexual. So I guess that covers those options then! Despite rumours by some of the people on these forums, I am in no way more divine than anyone else on here, I just have high ideals that I encourage other people to adopt. My animations seem to have struck a chord with people because I put a fair bit of thought into them, and the forums have become popular I think because of the emphasis I place on what I think should be the core values of any forum: respect and communication.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 9 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #10

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Yay for Mata! smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Jan 9 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

I'm laughing about the 'duckflaps' bit, I think I have a new word!

laugh.gif

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jan 9 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #12

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

Duck flaps... yes, that should be in the dictonary.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 9 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #13

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

There is one word which is replaced with "ladypart", more for the comedy effect than anything.

While I'm here I tend to swear quite extensively in my everyday speech, but then I find it easier to communicate by typing than by speaking most of the time, my fingers work quicker than my mouth, it's not as hard as you think....

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mittens2317
post Jan 9 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #14

Super advanced member

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 9 2005, 04:04 PM)
and I'm bisexual.

You ARE joking right? blink.gif

--------------------
Tribe Wyvern!!!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 9 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #15

absense of a smiley (wink.gif or tongue.gif) means he's serious

--------------------

+Quote Post
TehRoxxorCOD
post Jan 9 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #16

Inside Your Mind

Member No.: 1,251

Seems to be quite fashionable to be bisexual these days... but this is neither the time nor the place, so eh.

Hee hee, duckflaps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jan 9 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #17

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

I know you say you swear in everyday life and fair enough if thats your choise but doesn't it just give you more work when you type it out and make adding your reply more time consuming, I swear when I talk (not particluarly strong swear work cause I perfer the sound of them somthing like to F**k) but I actually find it easier to type something without them.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Mittens2317
post Jan 9 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #18

Super advanced member

I kinda do it without noticing. I don't swear in every sentence I speak, but I do use them to express what I'm saying that little bit more.

--------------------
Tribe Wyvern!!!

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jan 9 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #19

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Mittens2317 @ Jan 9 2005, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 9 2005, 04:04 PM)
and I'm bisexual.

You ARE joking right? blink.gif

Nope. Not joking.

We're very open around here.

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jan 9 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #20

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug

Member No.: 1,348

Glad to see things are back on an even keel. It takes alot to apologise, Im pleased you have the guts to do that, I know plenty wwho would have just left and not returned glad to see you stayed. biggrin.gif

Nope. Not joking.

We're very open around here.

Aye you'll find all sorts of people on these forums its certainly the best way to find out about things, if your unsure about absolutely anything! There's bound to be someone with an answer for you and best of all you get to bounce someone who knows first hand. biggrin.gif

Duckflaps? Why do I have an image of a duck with aeroplane style wings?! I think somehow my mind is not playing fair blink.gif

--------------------
[CENTER]Proud participator in the Noob adoption sharing scheme.
Trial specimen: Raevnkite.
Progress:Progressing Nicely

Tribe Wyvern:Come visit!
Im Irishguys Pockety Pet!!!
[/CENTER]
Maps alter your perceptions, confuse your mind and make familiar things seem very strange and thats before you unpack the compass...

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 9 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #21

We sure are, Alti. I be all bisexual and stuff too (though I've yet to come up with an adequate arguement to show that I'm not a poser, but I'll reiterate that it's not vogue for me.) As for swearing, I swear like a mofo (yay for puns!) and I enjoy it. However, if I was to post ever swear word that I would say if I was talking instead of posting, the lactic acid build up in my fingers would literally cause them to fall off, my posts would be hundreds of pages long, and I'd be banned just by the mod's 6th "mod sense."

Okay, that's a hyperbole for those of you thrown off by my lack of ";)" but there we go. wink.gif

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jan 9 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #22

Oh yeah, and for future reference, Mata is God. Just ask the forum members. He's just being all modest and stuff.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jan 9 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #23

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jan 9 2005, 08:47 PM)
and I'd be banned just by the mod's 6th "mod sense."

We can do that, y'know. It's a new feature.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 9 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jan 9 2005, 08:50 PM)
Oh yeah, and for future reference, Mata is God.  Just ask the forum members.  He's just being all modest and stuff.

*mutters* ...fanboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Jan 9 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #25

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

QUOTE (Wyvern @ Jan 9 2005, 08:38 PM)
Duckflaps? Why do I have an image of a duck with aeroplane style wings?! I think somehow my mind is not playing fair  blink.gif

I see it as a duck in Biggles style aviator goggles myself!

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:39 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!