IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When I Was Younger, I used to think things worked like...
froggle-rock
post Jan 9 2005, 06:13 AM
Post #1

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

'Silly ways you thought things were/worked when you were younger' kinda thing.

When I was a child I used to think that there were three pipes in my throat, one for food, one for drink, and one for air. Which kinda makes sense as we poo, wee and breathe.

I also used to think was that underneath one's skin were lots of wire cables alike the muscles. I think this has summit to do with me watching Terminator when I was very young and unable to quite distinguish betwen reality and fiction. tongue.gif

So, how about you lot? How did you understand the world around you when you were younger?

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
a_line_in_your_b...
post Jan 9 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,486

I can totally relate to the whole pipes thing...in fact, that's pretty much still how i see it. I can't think of anything in particular right now that i had an odd view of although i did call Scotch eggs 'egg in a hutch'...makes sense to me. smile.gif
XxXxX

--------------------
"I rule!" -Kevin Spacey, American Beauty

XxX

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 9 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #3

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

My sister used to go backwards down stairs.. and she enjoyed it so much that one day she even started going backwards down into the river rolleyes.gif I don't really remember what I did.. I remember telling my mum that I thought a skin disorder was when say.. the skin that should be on your nose was on your and stuff... and she practically wet herself laughing... hmph...

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Jan 9 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #4

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,379

I always thought that there really was another world through the mirror. And I'd still love to be proven right when someone proves that you can actually get knocked on the head or fall down a hole and wake up 500 years in the past.

Also, my teddies and toys DID walk about the room but only the teddies were intelligent enough to actuall understand me.

Im gonna curl up in a ball now... wink.gif

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 9 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #5

Dirty Laundry

Oh yyeeeaaahhhh... I used to have telepathic conversations with my teddies...

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jan 9 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #6

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

I used to believe that the roads were one big race and whenever my mum overtook another car on the road we were attempting to get into a higher position.

Also there really were lasers under manholes so you couldn't step on them.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Jan 9 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #7

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Member No.: 1,379

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Jan 9 2005, 01:08 PM)
Oh yyeeeaaahhhh... I used to have telepathic conversations with my teddies...

They were some of the best of my childhood I recon biggrin.gif

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jan 9 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #8

Samauri Teapain

Oh and my tree in the garden, I could sit on it and have wars with other trees. Occationally I'd blow up my own tree and have to wait for my machine warriors to repair it for me. Ahhh memories.

--------------------
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jan 9 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #9

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

I used to believe as a child that as a foetus I was fed the scraps that my mum ate, such as leftover bits of cucumber and bread. It had to be soft food I though, otherwise my foetal-self couldn't eat it.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Jan 9 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #10

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

I used to believe that people who could draw pictures where things went behind other things without any of the lines overlapping (does that make sense?) had some sort of magical power and it was a secret that no one would tell me. This wasn't helped by the fact that my brother would never let me look when he drew things partially behind other things.

I believed very strongly in the old rhyme "step on a crack, break your mother's back" but I expanded this in my 4/5/6/7 year old mind to include "and the sidewalks will come apart and you'll fall into a horrible hole in the ground." I never saw any sidewalks come apart and suck people under so I just assumed that this was because the sidewalks sucked people under so quickly that no one saw it happen. Trust me, it made sense to me.

I also believed that I was small enough that a large enough umbrella would make me fly like MAry Poppins. Yeah, I wasn't allowed near umbrellas for years after that incident.

I also thought after I got my second pair of glasses that since my eyes were getting worse as I grew up I would eventually go blind and that I ought to practice for it by closing my eyes alot so I could get used to it. I perfected getting finding clothes, getting undressed, and getting dressed again in the dark.

For a few months (thanks to my older brothers) I thought that my parents had found me on the traintracks.

I was certain, when I was six, that our teacher's aide who was in a wheelchair and could hop curbs in his chair actually had other superpowers that he didn't tell us about so that he could keep his secret identity while fighting crime.

As a class project in grade one we sent off balloons with messages and the school address in it. I was certain that mine would reach a shipwrecked person on an island and that I didn't know whether that would be funny or sad.

Aaaand... I think that's it

edit: oh and I also used to believe that all my dolls were real and had personalities but I think that's pretty run of the mill little kid stuff.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Jan 9 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #11

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

For some reason when I was younger, I thought in my abdomen was like, a circular racetrack type thing (doughnut shaped) and that for each bit of food you ate, it started going around with the others. When you were full, there was no more room. I also remember my mum telling me not to slide my hand along the wooden rail, or I'll get splinters. Wondering what these 'splinter' creatures were, I began questioning my mother about what they ate etc. Ooh, and one morning, I got up early, and I thought I'd save a little time by doing my teeth before I had my breakfast. So much for that

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jan 9 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #12

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

When I was younger I believed completely in the Lion the witch and the wardrobe. I was most upset when I kept cracking my nose on the back of the wardrobe.

I also believed that my toys came alive when I was out of the room. I used to run into my room just on the off chance that I might catch them.

You know in TV programs when you can hear a characters thought out loud? Well I thought that it was possible to think out loud like that and spent hours trying to do it!!!

I believed in and still do in fact believe in the exixtence of faeries. One of the kids at school asked me if faeries existed the other day and I had to change the subject!!!

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 9 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #13

Dirty Laundry

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I was just wondering what the difference between a fairy and a faerie was...

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jan 9 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #14

Samauri Teapain

Fairy has a 'y' and faerie has an 'ie' and another 'e'.
At least I think its just the spelling...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jan 9 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #15

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

"faerie" is the old english spelling. It has to do with the plural of the word being "fae" and not "fairies", so the singular is "faerie" or "faery". "Fairy" was brought into use as in "fairy tale" and got kinda emalgamated into the same thing.

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jan 9 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #16

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I told you this in chat but I'll repeat it here. When I was younger I thought that swallowing watermelon seeds would cause watermelon plants to grow in my stomach, after one of my aunt's told me that this would happen if I did. I tried and tried, but no watermelon ever grew in my stomach. I guess it's not a great idea to tell me a lie like that to get me to stop eating seeds.

I like others on here also believed that my toys had feelings and talked. I used to rotate which stuffed animal I would sleep with so none of the others would get jealous and I would whisper in each of their ears that they were my favorite so they could feel special. Also after reading the velveteen rabbit I told them all that I loved them so that they could become real.

I'm sure there are many others because I was a strange and imaginative child, but at the moment my senial mind is kicking in and I'm having trouble remembering them.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 9 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #17

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

When on road trips as a little kid (around 8 i think actually--not so little!) I used to give our car 10 pts for every car we passed and subtract five for every car that passed us. If it was an ugly car they would have fewer points for us to gain or lose, and cars that were green sedans had like 15 points because those were my favorite. I would add up all the points in my head and at the end of the trip I'd have a certain number. To this day I don't sleep in cars because I used to worry I'd miss one and screw up the number.

It didn't seem so weird back then.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jan 9 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #18

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

When I was little (like three-seven) I thought my toys came alive when I left, too. And, I would run in trying to catch them off guard.

I used to think that the Dead End signs meant that if you went past them you would die.

I also belived the "step on a crack" thing only it was(If the room had multi-colerd tiles) "step on only (insert random color here) or die"

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jan 10 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #19

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I used to think life was a TV show...with an audience watching...so i'd just talk randomly. blink.gif

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jan 10 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #20

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

That would have been VERY amusing to see....

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jan 10 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #21

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

QUOTE (LoLo @ Jan 9 2005, 07:50 PM)
I used to rotate which stuffed animal I would sleep with so none of the others would get jealous.

I used to do that. biggrin.gif

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 10 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #22

Dirty Laundry

When I was younger (and sometimes still today) I foudn that I had to make sure that if I stepped on a crack on the pavement, I would have to do it on the other foot so that everything would be even.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post
dancing hamster ...
post Jan 10 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #23

Our UAV is online

Member No.: 1,304

I also thought that toys came to life
*hangs head in shame*

also a friend of mine saw his dad smoking and thought that he was eating them (cos they were getting smaller) so he eat a packet of fags

+Quote Post
Witless
post Jan 10 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #24

happy.. sad.. happy

Member No.: 1,536

I actually used to believe that I was really a little guy in my own head controlling my body, (a little like that alien in men in black one). I used to think if I could concentrate hard enough I could find the button that turned my fake body off so I could climb out whenever I wanted to.

I had a a few imaginary friends, who I even managed to get into arguements with sometimes. I really was annoyed at the time too.

I also believed that women got pregnant by marrying people, however I didn't seem to have noticed that my mother managed to get pregnant with me without marrying.. hum... logic wasn't a strong thing with my child self.

I also believed animals and plants could hear us talking and used to get upset if you were mean, so you had to make sure you were polite around them.

My teddies were all named with distinct personality, I even had an uptight obnoxious teddy called Sam (was a dog with spotted ears), and a slightly dim but easy to anger teddy called nicholas (I still own them all).

I used to believe that if you concentrated hard enough you could have the same super powers as superheroes. There was this one called braveheart, (not sure if you'll all remember this one), he used to shout these phrases like "strength of the bear" and he'd suddenly be really strong, and "eyes of the hawk" and he'd be able to see really far, and back in the school play ground I used to shout all these phrases and really did believe I was stronger, could see further and could run faster.

Good times.. wish I still thought those things now!

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 10 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #25

Dirty Laundry

Ooo!! I have a teddy caleld Nicholas (named after my dad... I was such a good kid wink.gif ) But then I also have one called Royal Mail... haha. Yes, I still take Royal Mail to bed with me... OK, I'm going to go now before I make any more of a fool of myself.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 05:48 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!