Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Open Discussion On Recent Forum Hostility, inspired by recent events
MistressAlti
post May 7 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #1

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Most of us have been here long enough to remember the Lord of darness threats and the fights that have come from it. As a forum voice, we decided with Mata that LoD's cruelty was no longer welcome here. Many hoped that the animosity we had come to know here would vanish with LoD's banishment.

It hasn't.

I've seen countless fights since I've been here, a few of which I have been involved in, and all of which have only served to cause irritation between the involved and annoyance to any bystanders. Forum members who have been here since the beginning feel alienated. The general feeling of kindness and goodwill that I once knew here has been quieted, and although it still exists, it lies underneath a layer of anger, intolerance, and unhappiness.

I bring this up not to judge anyone, for I am as guilty of causing this as anyone else in the forum. None of you are innocent, because you all either participated or let it happen. The muted frustration with the forum's current environment has gone on too long.

I personally would like to see the old forum mentality again, one where although we didn't necessarily like or agree with what one person says, we could express our disagreement or displeasure without either party being threatened, insulted, or made to feel unwelcome. I don't want to lose any more members because of these insensitive goings-on.

I ask you now, what do we do? Is any of this fixible, and if so, how do we go about it? If not, what then?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
craziness
post May 7 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #2

crazi

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 20

there was always this family feel to the forum, now with all these people leaving its starting to just turn into another forum. every forum i have seen except this one is definitly full of tons of angry people just yelling at eachother all the time. lets stop that.

--------------------
Love is real.

+Quote Post
Debaser
post May 7 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Group: New Members
Member No.: 154

i don't think this is gonna be fixed. as far as i can see, 2 things will happen...

1) the current mentality will go completely out of the window (as opposed to it getting twisted now). all of the current members will leave, and a whole new branch of people will take up residence here.

2) mata will take the forums offline.

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post May 7 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #4

I post more than I speak

Member No.: 116

i dont get it... this seemed like such a happy forum... with all the hugging and marriages going on... then one little, tiny, problem that could have been ignored completely blew up and it almost chased away a very cool person that just came here...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
hinsley
Post #5

Talking Cat? Eh, its been dun.

Member No.: 288

wow. now look wat i started. i didnt get mad at anyone or say anything horrible. im off for the night. bye

--------------------
Drunken words are sober thoughts.

"But it's turtles all the way down!"

+Quote Post
prezgfish
Post #6

I plug directly into my computer

Group: Banned
Member No.: 61

any fighting i've done has been resolved (as it was personal with a friend in the real world)

otherwise its been a humour related fight no malice ever intended and if i offended anyone then you didn't get the joke or you dont find me at all funny so i'm sorry

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post May 7 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #7

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 15

i miss the old forum (the first 2-3 weeks) everyone was so nice, no one argued, there wasn't this open hatred of neone you dun like. LISTEN EVERYONE, IF YOU DUN LIKE SOMEONE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! SORRY IF I SOUND MEAN BUT NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THIS HATRED! I THOUGHT YOU PPL WOULD LEARN FROM HOW YOU MADE LOD SO ANRGY/SAD (even if he did deserve to be banned it's not like ne of you actually helped his situation)! THEN TARANTIO CONSIDERED LEAVIN! NOW WE JUS HAD TO CONVINCE HINSLEY NOT TO LEAVE! I'M ALMOST GLAD I'M LEAVIN SOON FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS CAUSE I REALLY DUN WANNA DEAL WITH THIS HATRED!

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post May 7 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #8

ever-hopeful since 2003

Cheese, this problem didn't just start today. It's been seen so many places besides hinsley's thread.

+Quote Post
leopold
Post #9

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

I agree with missy 100% here...

I used to be in another sort of forum thing... this was the Sellotape Website. I used to really enjoy posting there, but it all got out of hand. Now it's closed. And it was because the admin got fed up with keeping a rein on it.

We need more moderators. It's the only real answer. I go to one forum an the people there are never as bad, cos if they misbehave they get pulled up for it. There'd be no mass spams, no stupid zillion word posts... I suppose it's policing it all a bit but it's essential.

"True freedom cannot exist without boundaries"

That's all I hafta say on the subject...

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
ravein
Post #10

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Member No.: 40

well the way I see it, it is up to us.. we can either find ways to get along... try to find the root of the problem and fix it... of throw herald to the wind and say frock off.. Honestly I dont want to see that happen.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post May 7 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 80

I haven't been here as long as many of you... but one of the main reasons I stuck around was because of the people who were here. Everyone seemed nice, funny, and to genuinely get along! I don't know what has happened, but things just seem to be getting worse and worse all the time.... I really hope that all of the fighting drama stops.

+Quote Post
craziness
Post #12

crazi

i really hope that we can resolve everything, and i can understand why mata might take the forums offline, but i dont think that would make any of us happier, weve all made so many friends. hinsley, its really not your fault, a lot of people had bad days today and came here grumpy, and ever since the whole thing with LoD things have been a little weird, it could have been anyone, i think its just because he was such a super-poster like you, and people are kind of afraid of that because of what happened with him.

--------------------
Love is real.

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
Post #13

ever-hopeful since 2003

QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ May 7 2003, 05:26 PM)
i miss the old forum (the first 2-3 weeks) everyone was so nice, no one argued, there wasn't this open hatred of neone you dun like. LISTEN EVERYONE, IF YOU DUN LIKE SOMEONE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! SORRY IF I SOUND MEAN BUT NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THIS HATRED! I THOUGHT YOU PPL WOULD LEARN FROM HOW YOU MADE LOD SO ANRGY/SAD (even if he did deserve to be banned it's not like ne of you actually helped his situation)! THEN TARANTIO CONSIDERED LEAVIN! NOW WE JUS HAD TO CONVINCE HINSLEY NOT TO LEAVE! I'M ALMOST GLAD I'M LEAVIN SOON FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS CAUSE I REALLY DUN WANNA DEAL WITH THIS HATRED!

Gerbil, yelling here doesn't solve anything. Please stop accusing people. The LoD incident is over and there's no use blaming people for it.

Many people have considered leaving, including myself. Some of us make our thoughts about it more public than others, but I imagine most of us have considered it at one point or another.

+Quote Post
ravein
post May 7 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #14

also i think that this may just be growing pains. We have alot of new folks in here and we have a lot of old folks in here. I really think things just need to cool down.. I left cause lod was a pain in the arse..
This forum was for people to get together and discuss the ideals behind matas creations. We would not know each other if it wasnt for him. we should be respectfull of his ideals, his creations, and his bandwidth. wink.gif

--------------------
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post May 7 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #15

sry missy, i've jus had a really crappy week and it all came out there. not that that excuses nethin i jus really can't deal with hatred. neways, it's not my choice that i'll be leavin soon, i've got finals to cram for, then i'm gone for almost the whole summer........... o well, hopefully this hatred'll jus go away while i'm gone and if it doesn't i'll probably jus leave for good. no point'n stayin on an angry forum. o, btw jus to show another example of a perfectly good forum gone bad, try the newgrounds.com forums (www.newgrounds.com/bbs). i've never posted cause everyone's so hateful and angry. go to the forum. look at it then come back and think about whether you want this forum to become like that one

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post May 7 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #16

I post more than I speak

Member No.: 116

i agree with gerbil, the newground forums are horrable... i dont want our little family to be broken up like this...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Debaser
post May 7 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #17

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Group: New Members
Member No.: 154

i know what you mean, gerbil...this is the greatest forum in the entire earth, and i don't wanna see it collapse due to the sheer amount of anger floating around...

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
ravein
post May 7 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #18

everyone has had a crappy week... (I feel like this is a meeting of the tribal elders) its okay sweetie... I think this thing with hins was just the icing on the cake.
It was nothing against her, but when you have posts so long that it screws up the page format that gets annoying. I dont know. I dont see this as a major problem.. I just think that people need to think about what they post and not how much they post. Quality over Quanity maybe?

--------------------

live journal

+Quote Post
prezgfish
post May 7 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #19

Group: Banned
Member No.: 61

I very nearly left after lod spammed every damn board and bored me too death with the same crap and after my big fight with tarantion that almost f*ck*d up a friendship

but i'm staying no i dont have any problems (i'm even ok with inky[that was always my own madness]) so em thats all folks

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post May 7 2003, 10:40 PM
Post #20

ever-hopeful since 2003

QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ May 7 2003, 05:34 PM)
no point'n stayin on an angry forum.

And that's why I'm trying to exact some change around here. I don't want us to become Newgrounds, overrun by a bunch of immature posters who have nothing better to do than cause pain to others via the internet.

+Quote Post
hinsley
post May 7 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #21

Talking Cat? Eh, its been dun.

Member No.: 288

1. i never got angry at all!! 2 i wasnt the one who started the really long posts. whoever that was did it for ISH. i did it after for NESS. 3. bo selceta!!!

--------------------
Drunken words are sober thoughts.

"But it's turtles all the way down!"

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post May 7 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #22

k, ravein, i'll remember that (i haven't been spammin so much tho)

+Quote Post
craziness
post May 7 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #23

crazi

i would really hate to get back from camp to find this gone. i would hate to finally get my computers internet back and not be able to use it for matazone anymore, please dont let this happen.

--------------------
Love is real.

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post May 7 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (hinsley @ May 7 2003, 11:41 PM)
1. i never got angry at all!! 2 i wasnt the one who started the really long posts. whoever that was did it for ISH. i did it after for NESS. 3. bo selceta!!!

dun worry hinsley, she's talkin to me

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post May 7 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #25

ever-hopeful since 2003

QUOTE (hinsley @ May 7 2003, 05:41 PM)

Hinsley, this is not an accusation towards you, nor is it towards anyone else in particular. Your thread might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, but it is not because of you that I started this discussion.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 04:47 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!