Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tourists!, Damn Superbowl.
Righteous
post Feb 6 2005, 03:37 AM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

Okay, the Superbowl is happening in Jacksonville, Florida, USA, right? For those of you who don't know, the Superbowl is where one team from each division of the National Football League go at it because it's big and something to do. Now, I live about an hour away from Jax and a lot of Superbowl patrons have decided to stay here. This is spectacular for me because I have a strange hatred for tourists, particularly when there are thousands of them flooding the streets when we're trying to get home from Cafe Nexus or God forbid, get cigarettes.

I'm looking foreward to the Superbowl ending. Ugh, I hate tourists. How about you guys? Any aggression you need to get out about tourists?

Damn tourists.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
otherside
post Feb 6 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #2

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,628

i'll tour your country if i want to and you can't stop me. laugh.gif

--------------------
we need to irrigate the wound

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Feb 6 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #3

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

I have a real issue with American tourists as they're usually the ones at the zoo screaming their heads of and climbing into cages to have their photos taken with a kangaroo or they're at the museum going ooooonnnn and oooonnn about how it's not as good as we got back home or they'll be huffing and puffing along the harbour bridge while trying to look "Aussie" finishing the whole thing with a cheesy grin pic in front of the opera house.
I've nothing in particular against Americans but a significant chunk of them do make fools of themselfs when they come to see the sights.
Also Asians seem to have no concept of manners when they come here, no respect for other peoples right to enjoy themselfs and an irritating habit of babbling and screaming in their various "languages".
But then I have developed a bit of a thing about Asians purely because of the number of them in Australia on 2 year work visa's. They've compleatly filled up any decent food place in sydney and made a compleet mess of Cabramatta. I have no issue with permenant residents that speak the language though.

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Feb 6 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #4

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

It's fun walking around Lille with my Dad, get lots of English tourists there, so I take many opportunities to say "bloody tourists", especially at Christmas. Though it's funny to watch them try drink Leffe by the pint tongue.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Feb 6 2005, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Feb 6 2005, 10:32 PM)
Also Asians seem to have no concept of manners ...and an irritating habit of babbling and screaming in their various "languages".

I'm sure the Asians feel the exact same way about you.

And if you don't like them babbling and screaming in their "languages" (many of which have a long history) well then, you better get down on your knees and thank God that you don't ever have to leave Australia to go to a new country where you're in the vast vast minority and you've got to rely on the kindness of the few strangers who speak your own mongrel tongue.

But then I have developed a bit of a thing about Asians purely because of the number of them in Australia on 2 year work visa's. They've compleatly filled up any decent food place in sydney and made a compleet mess of Cabramatta. I have no issue with permenant residents that speak the language though.

Darn them and their ability to work at a higher quality and provide higher service! Darn them all to heck! (note sarcasm)
Look, if you can't find a job in your own country, look at yourself before you start blaming other people who are better qualified than you. I'm sick of people blaming the "immigrants" and "foreigners" for problems that really have very little to do with foreigners. Bear in mind that Australia is a nation made up of immigrants, and that nearly everyone there, even the oldest families of convicts, have only been there for a few hundred years, a very short time in the history of the world, even in human history. If you can't get a job don't blame the foreigners, all they're doing is coming to a new country, just like your grandfathers and grandmothers did, to try and make a life for themselves. So grow up, and suck it up. A little xenophobic behaviour goes a long way.

Back on topic: yes, I don't like tourists either. I'm a tourist right now and I can imagine what I look like to the people who live here. I know I'm ignorant of the local customs and language and I probably look like a dork, but I don't care. I didn't come here to blend in,(I couldn't if I tried... really really hard) I came here to take some pictures, boost the economy, see the sights and take a vacation. That's it.
Lighten up on tourists. yeah, they can be a pain like any other industry, but they're not bad people and they provide alot of jobs. And don't tell me there aren't any obnoxious people where you're from.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 6 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #6

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

<3 Jaq. This is why I e-married you! Well, that, and boredom.

Jaq basically said everything I was already thinking, including the stuff about immigrants "stealing" jobs. I've been known to grumble about tourists myself, but there's no denying that they are good for the economy. You'd probably end up looking like an idiot if you went to where they lived as well. Plus it'd be pretty boring if none of us ever visited anywhere outside our own towns, wouldn't it?

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Feb 7 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #7

Shut up, noob!

See, when I think of tourists, I think of the people waking around downtown (where all the tourist traps are), taking pictures by the big pirate stature near the Palace Saloon and stopping you to ask "where's a good place to eat/shop/hang out" when I'm jut trying to get to the tobacco shop to get cloves. The locals rarely go downtown, save going to the bookstores or one of the few good and inexpensive restaurants every so often, but the tourists flood the place.

You can tell a group of tourists from a mie away. They're always looking around, pointing at thinhns, taking pictures, reading the hstorical facts signs about town and similar crap. The northern tourists usually wear as little as possible and sweat profusely. Local teenagers wouldn't hang out downtown with their parents. If anyone comes to my town over the summer, we'll hang out and go tourist spotting.

See, to me, there's a difference between tourists and visitors. I want to visit London (when I have money) and I don't want to be like almost every American cat who goes to London and take pictures of everything hyped up over here in the States. I'd rather enjoy the real London, not the tourist crap.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Feb 7 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #8

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Yet, tourists bring a lot of money into towns and villages where I am. Places like Glastonbury, Avebury and such thrive on the revenue (is that the word I'm looking for?) they bring in.

I haven't a problem with tourists - it makes me proud to live somewhere that other people travel thousands of miles to visit and appreciate.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
markslut
post Feb 7 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #9

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 909

I live 2 miles from Europes largest caravan park. The large amount of overexposed bear gut is rather traumatic. thankfully the acess road goes away from Budleigh and they hit Exmouth

I also regret taking the train to Plymouth (train was going on to Cornwall) on a Summer Saturday, not only was it rammed but the sea wall at Dawlish lead to screams of "I can see the Sea!" from every child in the coach.

--------------------
The combined Nurse and Geisha of ISH!
IPB Image
Your Corset is Your Armour - Lace it Tightly - Breathing is Unimportant

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Feb 8 2005, 02:14 AM
Post #10

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Though technically I don't live in the NYC (no, that was not a typo. Everyone interesting and secure refers to new york as "the NYC"--how dare you accuse me of making a typo?!), I go there often often (often!) and it always pisses the hell out of me to see overweight midwesterners who insist on going to the same dozen places and clogging up the city with their fanny packs and sweatpants. Yes, I am a hypocrite. But it's gotten to the point that Central Park is filled with these people, and they all want you to take their picture or get someone else to clean up after them. Lots of littering, and lots of stupidity. You don't leave your big ol knockoff purse wide open and swinging from your shoulder and then scream when someone casually lifts your cell phone off you. Not that I'm advocating theft, of course.

The main issue I have with tourism is the lack of respect for the place. I try hard to be polite and quiet when visiting other places, and I find not doing so to be lazy and rude. I understand if maybe a tourist doesn't know their way around a city and asks for directions. I can deal with repeating them a few times, but when I'm insulted as they walk away and I see them throw garbage all over, jabbering on walkie-talkies to others of their ilk---argh. It makes my blood boil.

The worst part is when a city itself changes to suit tourism. Yes, I get that it's an important part of most economies, but surely a city could rely on visiters and not tourists?

*growls*

This post has been edited by elphaba2: Feb 8 2005, 02:15 AM

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Feb 9 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #11

Shut up, noob!

Ugh. I hate the tourists bumbling around with fanny packs and those annoying little backpacks. Also, you see A LOT of tourists here with their shorts hiked up to their guts with socks over their ankles and flip-flops. Ugh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Feb 9 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #12

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

Hey!!! I like socks with flip flops! tongue.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
kisah
post Feb 17 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #13

Obsessive

Member No.: 337

What a cranky bunch! =D

I think we're back to generalizing here... like 'It's okay when *I* am a tourist because I do things the right way' but everyone else that goes somewhere or does something differently in your home town is obnoxious or in the way.

I'm all for free speech and I'm glad there's a place for people to vent these concerns but geez people... a little tolerance goes a long way. Try to remember that you never know what sort of day/week/life someone is having to deal with before you start judging.

--------------------
_colors and witty words and sirens with bells and lights that make my posts look unique like everyone elses!_
Sorry, the Retro Grouch stole my inspiration...

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Feb 17 2005, 02:57 PM
Post #14

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Gad, you bunch of scrooges! I've never heard so much xenophobic claptrap on this forum before! I personally love tourists, even if they are stupid and a little destructive. American tourists are the best: they're loud, obnoxious and they really rile all those complacent Middle Englanders who think that London belongs to them just because they were lucky enough to be born here. The world would be a dull, exclusive place without tourism, and I for one am all in favour of it. Hell, I'm a huge tourist myself, so I suppose I should hold that point of view.

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Feb 19 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #15

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

Ah, the famous superbowl tourist attack! Yes, I would know. It Was in housten last year...
Oh, But it was SOOO much fun when a couple of drunk tourist decided to put down lawn chairs in our front yard....
Luckly, Our neighbor at the time owend a peacock. Have you ever heard a peacock screach? It sounds like someone screaming. Needless to say, they packed up pretty quickly after they heard the first few "screams".

In case you haven't figured it out, I dont' like tourist. Okay, maybe not all of them, but the ones that will walk on your front lawn, even when there's a sidewalk right next to them.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Feb 19 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #16

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Feb 18 2005, 09:47 PM)
Ah, the famous superbowl tourist attack! Yes, I would know. It Was in housten last year...
Oh, But it was SOOO much fun when a couple of drunk tourist decided to put down lawn chairs in our front yard....
Luckly, Our neighbor at the time owend a peacock. Have you ever heard a peacock screach? It sounds like someone screaming. Needless to say, they packed up pretty quickly after they heard the first few "screams".

In case you haven't figured it out, I dont' like tourist. Okay, maybe not all of them, but the ones that will walk on your front lawn, even when there's a sidewalk right next to them.

I've heard that Peacocks make excellent watchbirds, as they screech at anything that moves, and few people can stand the noise...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Feb 19 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #17

Of course, the owners probably can't stand the screeching either, which is why they're normally kept well away from the house on huge country estates.

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Feb 20 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #18

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

I shall freely humbug shore tourists. Especially the ones from Pennsylvania, who are so giddy to get out of PA they will take any excuse to wander around commercial areas in smutty bathingsuits out of some insane notion that this is what locals do.*grumbles* Hogging up the parking spaces with SUVs the size of a moderate living room, standing in the dead middle of the street with small children as if they have somehow concluded this is a good place to deliberate between pizza and frostees, leaving little trails of litter behind like fat Hansels, tearing down residential areas on a mad quest for the almighty gambling mecca one city over, which surely will disappear if they don't get there within the next five minutes, feeding the gulls to the point where every small fries creates a scene from a Hitchcock film...bah.

There is the small issue about me not having a job without 'em, but I am going to choose to overlook it. *hums*

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Feb 20 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #19

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Feb 19 2005, 01:00 AM)
I've heard that Peacocks make excellent watchbirds, as they screech at anything that moves, and few people can stand the noise...

They are excellent at watching over things, but you get used to the sound after awhile. Also, thanks to the peacocks, I now have about $100 dollars worth of their feathers that I'd colected....
I've found out that tourist will buy them...

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Feb 23 2005, 03:43 AM
Post #20

Shut up, noob!

I'd like to state for the record that, to me, tourists and visitors are completely two different types of people. Tourists go places to see the touristy stuff like Disneyworld. Visitors go places in an attempt to see the "real" side of it, not the touristy crap. When I travel, I'm more the latter. My family and many who visit this Godforsaken island, however, go places to be typical tourists.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Feb 23 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #21

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

I love being a tourist in London. I grew up 20 minutes from London on the train, but since acquiring a bunch of foreigners as in-laws and friends, have 'done London' as tourists. It's suprisingly fun to go see all the crap that you don't normally bother to go see when it's on your doorstep.

I also love pissing off all the moody Londoners with tourist behaviour. It warms the cockles of my black, black heart.

Oh, and Ri, don't completely write off all the standard London tourist traps - some are actually quite good. The London Eye being a prime example, but all of the big museums (most of which are state-owned and free to visit) are well worth having a look at.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Feb 23 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #22

Shut up, noob!

[spam]
Touristy or not, museums kick ass. I'd visit any museum regarldess of how overrun with tourists it is.
[/spam]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Feb 25 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Righteous @ Feb 23 2005, 03:28 PM)
Touristy or not, museums kick ass.

I'm afraid that that sort of behaviour is a criminal offence in the UK. Museums here are civilised affairs.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Feb 26 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #24

Shut up, noob!

You know what I mean, my phallically obsessed friend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Feb 26 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #25

*innocent, uncomprehending look*

No, really, I have no idea what you're talking about. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 06:46 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!