Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blushing
talking to faeri...
post Feb 8 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #1

put the aerial on your head

Group: New Members
Member No.: 89

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips or advice for stopping myself from blushing.

You see, I have to do a presentation on my dissertation in a few weeks, but I'm awful at speaking in front of people and I know I'll start blushing, then I'll be all self conscious and that'll make me even more nervous. I need to do well in this as it's worth 20% of my overall mark, so I can't be all flustered when I do it.

I was told by someone that there's a type of foundation that can conceal blushing (it has a green base, but that means nothing to me). I have no idea where to look for it, I don't even know what it's called, added to that I'm completely clueless about make up. So any help or information any of you could give me would be absolutely great.

Please help me smile.gif

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daedalus
post Feb 8 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Pretend you didn't notice

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 556

Blushing on it's own is not something you'll be marked down for - at least it really shouldn't be. If you're concerned that you're going to be acting flustered and nervous as well as looking it in your cheeks, putting foundation over it to hide it won't do a thing as you'll still feel yourself blushing and you'll get flustered anyway.

My best tip is to know what you're going to talk about inside and out, and more. That way, if you forget what you were about to say, you can improvise until you get your train of thought back again, avoiding any embarrassing hesitations (which always feel like 5 times longer than they really are).

Since it's a dissertation you're doing, I doubt that will be a problem. I'm sure you'll be fine. smile.gif

--------------------
I wub snoo

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Feb 8 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Good advice from Daedalus there.

Blushing is pretty much unavoidable. It's purely a function of your embarressment and nervousness response. If you're going to be embarressed or nervous, you're going to blush. Some people blush more than others, and that's all there is to it.

So, the only way to stop yourself blushing is to be less nervous. And following Daedalus' advice is a good way to start. Knowing your subject back to front and upside down will boost your confidence on talking about it.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Feb 8 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #4

Lord of the Keys

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,329

I blush _all_ the time, and though it is embarassing, I've found that remaining calm can do wonders. Deep breaths and all that.

There've been times when I've been told I'm 100% beet red, but I completely don't notice it. Find something that relieves tension (maybe walking about as you speak, or having something small in your hand to hold?) and remember to relax and be comfortable. Try presenting it to a group of friends, perhaps?

I'm no Dear Abby, but this kind of thing has worked for me a _lot_. Perhaps it could assist you in your blushing plight.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 8 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I tend to get quite excited when I'm giving presentations and get carried away with ideas. The things that I've learnt that really help are:

Forcing myself to relax. I think about releasing my shoulders and breathing calmly.

Stick to the plan. Work out what you're going to say and actually read through it out load. If you keep on fluffing a line when you're reading it then change the way you've written it. Not only will this mean that you know your script well by the time you're reading it, but you will also have customised it for orating. There is a difference between text that is written and text to be read out loud, by practising you can make your life easier.

Highlight key points. If you've got a whole page of text there's probably only between one and three really important things to get across.

Know what your audience wants to hear. They don't want a monlogue with no easy-to-recall points, so make sure that you have in your mind the things that you want people to remember after you finish.

Smile. It doesn't have to be a psychopathic grin, but a little smile will make you feel better, the audience feel better, and give everyone the message that you are in control of your subject.

Have a glass of water ready. Take a small bottle of water up with you and when you get up to make your presentation take a moment to pour yourself a glass. While doing this you can say hello, and maybe give the title of your topic. It's a nice method of easing into the presentation without the stress of having to stand up and immediately start rolling. Also, when feeling a little nervous, or that you are speaking too fast, you can always pause for a moment, take a sip, a slow breath, and continue.

Pauses help everyone! Don't be afraid to pause for a moment, especially after making an important point. If you want to sip water, sip water. You are in control and you say what happens during the presentation. Pauses add weight to your words, give people a moment to understand your speech, and give you time to just check that you aren't tensing your shoulders or speaking too fast. When you pause, feel free to look around the room at the people listening. You can really engage your audience in these moments and it can actually be fun!

Be aware that probably no presentation in the history of the world has gone absolutely as planned, and that this is perfectly fine. You might miss a point, or not say a line as you intended, you might drop your notes, but even if anything like this does happen it is not the end of the world. Everyone in the audience knows that it can be intimidating to stand up there and will be rooting for you to give a good presentation. Take your time, there's no hurry so don't get flustered because people are happy to wait for you to make your point, and don't apoligise too much if things slip up. Say 'excuse me a moment' and find your place again, then smile to regain people's attention and proceed.

I think for me the key things are:
the opening smile
the glass of water
relaxing the shoulders
pauses

Have fun with it, and I hope these things help. They got me through quite a few presentations and have really helped me improve my communication skills.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
talking to faeri...
post Feb 10 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #6

put the aerial on your head

Group: New Members
Member No.: 89

Cheers guys.

I'll definatly be following your advice....so thank you smile.gif

I'm going to make sure I know everything inside out so that I won't get too flustered (hopefully). All of your tips are great...fingers crossed everything will go alright!!!

I think the actual presentation bit will go ok-ish, the main thing I'm worried about is that there will be 10 minutes of questions at the end of it. I just hope I don't mess anything up.

Anyway, fingers crossed and thanks for all your help smile.gif

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 05:34 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!