Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Litter, it's icky.
trunks_girl26
post Feb 9 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #1

o_O

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,229

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but oh well.

I have a question.

Today in one of my lectures, my professor mentioned that England doesn't have litter baskets in public places because of the frequent bombs that used to be put in them.

Is that true? If so, doesn't that make people litter more?

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Feb 9 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #2

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

Yep, we all sit around drinking tea saying 'Tally ho old chap' and 'Jolly hockeysticks' too.

No, it's not true. Though they don't seem to have any in train stations and airports it would seem.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Feb 9 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #3

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

They have them but if something big and public happens with big public people such as the Queen etc there either removed or check by the police just before said person comes along.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Feb 9 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Ummm, where I live there are litter bins and all that. But I mean, the amount of bomb-scares there have been near me is quite random really. In my opinion there is also a large problem about litter on the floor...

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Feb 9 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #5

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

What moop said.

We have them in most places but not many in train stations or airports and some shopping centers (malls). Some smaller train stations have bins that are just a clear bag attatched over a loop of metal so that bombs are harder to hide in them.

We also have the British Transport Police who will pounce on anyone misbehaving or if bags are left unattended they'll storm in and shred them just incase they have a bomb in them. It's probably just the same over there, you just don't notice it.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Feb 9 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #6

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Also Moop, in central London, outside places like Parliment, Scotland Yard (police headquaters), Buckingham Palace. Although the bins were removed from train stations a while back, I have recently started to notice clear bin liners being hung from train stations that are not so central, like Snoo said. Hmm, thinking of bridges in central London, and I'm not too sure if I can remeber there being any bins on them. But in saying that one can park on Waterloo Bridge 0o

To be honest I couldn't comment on differance in litter levels due to fewer bins being about. I can only really speak for London too, as this is where I live. I should add it's can be quite annoying to have to walk quite far with litter to dispose of it properly when there are twats who just throw it on the floor.

Also, There are no bins in on the tube, or at tube stations (but there normaly is one by the main gates). I remember asking a tube worker if he had a bin I could throw my rubbish in, his reply was that I should leave it on the floor next to the wall for a cleaner to pick up.

QUOTE ( Snoo)
the British Transport Police who will pounce on anyone misbehaving or if bags are left unattended they'll storm in and shred them just incase they have a bomb in them

Oh yeah. *nods* I went but three meters from my suitcase at Euston station once, to ask for a train time and platform. The suitcase was teh heavy. The train worker I was approaching gave me a right telling off for daring to leave it. I explained that I only wanted to ask her a where the train was leaving from, and how heavy the case was. She wern't having none of it sad.gif Told me I shouldn't leave my lugagge unattended, ever. 'Removed or destroyed'. Then she walked off, so I had to haul the case all the way to an information kiosk, only to find out I was on the correct platform in the first place. Grrr

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Feb 11 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #7

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

The Thames Valley Trains have bins on the actual trains, but not on the stations (in general). You either wait until you get on the train, or you leave you give it to one of the cleaner guys to put in the bin on their trolley.I have to say, In general, there are bins pretty much everywhere.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Daedalus
post Feb 12 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #8

Pretend you didn't notice

Member No.: 556

Yeah, most trains have bins in the vestibules if not in the actual carriage! They obviously don't care about people blowing up trains... just the stations!

--------------------
I wub snoo

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Feb 15 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #9

My direction

Member No.: 495

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Feb 11 2005, 11:51 PM)
The Thames Valley Trains have bins on the actual trains, but not on the stations (in general). You either wait until you get on the train, or you leave you give it to one of the cleaner guys to put in the bin on their trolley.I have to say, In general, there are bins pretty much everywhere.

Uhhh... there are plastic bags hanging from the pillars at Reading, Newbury, Thatcham and Didcot Parkway at least. I wait around on all of them for ages on Saturdays when I go to my dad's. Ok they aren't exactly "bins" per se, but at least the thought is there...

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Feb 15 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

There was a spate of bomb threats a few years back, where the bombs were allegedly dropped in litter bins in main London stations. Since then, they've all gone.

However, in the station's defense, for the most part, they've got cleaners who tend to do a pretty good job of cleaning up any litter that's left in the stations. So much so that I have no guilt in leaving an empty drink can next to a wall in a station or underground station.

It's also worth pointing out that central London is a damn site cleaner, even without litter bins, than the town I live in, Leicester, where there's litter bins every 20 feet or so.

This brings me round to something I really noticed when I moved back here from Seattle - British city-dwellers have little to no respect and pride for the city they live in. Contrast that with Seattle, where people actually care enough about their own city that they feel a sense of ownership of the place, and go out of their way to keep it nice.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
kisah
post Feb 17 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #11

Obsessive

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Jonman @ Feb 15 2005, 05:30 PM)
There was a spate of bomb threats a few years back, where the bombs were allegedly dropped in litter bins in main London stations. Since then, they've all gone.

However, in the station's defense, for the most part, they've got cleaners who tend to do a pretty good job of cleaning up any litter that's left in the stations. So much so that I have no guilt in leaving an empty drink can next to a wall in a station or underground station.

It's also worth pointing out that central London is a damn site cleaner, even without litter bins, than the town I live in, Leicester, where there's litter bins every 20 feet or so.

This brings me round to something I really noticed when I moved back here from Seattle - British city-dwellers have little to no respect and pride for the city they live in. Contrast that with Seattle, where people actually care enough about their own city that they feel a sense of ownership of the place, and go out of their way to keep it nice.

It was funny when my mom was here last week. The both of us were constantly carrying around a bit of garbage in search of a bin somewhere. It's just instinctive for us to wait until there's someplace correct to put the trash in. Where- in Leicester- someone could be standing 6 inches away from a bin and still throw their trash on the ground.

Just an observation.

--------------------
_colors and witty words and sirens with bells and lights that make my posts look unique like everyone elses!_
Sorry, the Retro Grouch stole my inspiration...

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Feb 21 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #12

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

Edinburgh - bloddy Edinburgh! I can't move without walking into a bin! There aren't any in the train station but the big, lighty-up, notice-board reminds you every day and tells people what to do (basically find a cleaner, they're always kicking about and give it to them or leave your garbage somewhere safe (i.e. no banana peels on the floor please) and someone will get it for you.

But the rest of the city is covered in them, and I must say I think it's pretty clean, but most of where I am a lot of the time is well-known touristy bits so I guess the city council would want to keep it nice.

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Feb 21 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #13

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Feb 21 2005, 03:28 PM)
Edinburgh - bloddy Edinburgh! I can't move without walking into a bin!

I was in Edinburgh at the weekend, I can't say I noticed alot of bins but there are quite a few.

<rant>
Just out of interest, are there any proper shops in the city center other than on Princes St and the surrounding area? I honestly don't think I've seen one in all the time I've spent there. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. Maybe I should just be glad of a hoodie emblazened with "Scotland" across the chest when it's the first weekend of July, it's P-ing it down and I'm there in nothing but a long sleeved tshirt... but is it honestly that much to ask?
</rant>

I also find there are alot of bins in Nottingham, especially around the places that have take out food. Every bench has it's own bin and you never, well hardly ever, have to go more than about 200 yards for a bench. You still get the annoying people who spit their gum out onto the pavement but there isn't that much rubbish around on the ground.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:01 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!