IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Daily Rituals And Personal Superstition, Those strange things we do.
Wyvern
post Feb 18 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #1

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,348

Now I've found something to post one of you will probably come along and tell me its been done before but still here goes. tongue.gif

Anyway...

As I was rummaging in the bin today to reclaim and thoroughly crush an egg shell I'd managed to drop in whole, well whole-ish.
I not suprisingly stopped to wonder what on earth I was doing and why.

As a child I was always told to crush used eggshells so that evil magic couldn't use them to trap the souls of drowning sailors.

Since then I've always crushed eggshells and now I dont think I could leave one whole if I tried, not that Im completely convinced by eggs as soul traps... but it is a rather theraputic action. biggrin.gif

So then people Im curious what quirky little things do you do and why?

--------------------
[CENTER]Proud participator in the Noob adoption sharing scheme.
Trial specimen: Raevnkite.
Progress:Progressing Nicely

Tribe Wyvern:Come visit!
Im Irishguys Pockety Pet!!!
[/CENTER]
Maps alter your perceptions, confuse your mind and make familiar things seem very strange and thats before you unpack the compass...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Feb 18 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #2

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

When walking on the pavement I have to step on all the different tarmac surfaces, not for any particular reason, I just do it subconciously unless I'm paying attention to the walking

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Feb 19 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #3

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

Ra.

I always salute magpies. It's a habit. Ironically, usually when I see two together I have a really bad day,

I used to be "hardcore" Wiccan and therefore was really into the mystical side of stuff. About a year ago I went through a ritual of taking people's names, writing them down, burning them in paper and wrapping the ashes in black silk, in order to rid myself of negativity. After a few years, I stilll have those little bundles. Those people don't effect me, and I while I don't really think it made a difference, it's good to have them as a reminder.

There's loads I do - not walking under ladders or breaking mirrors - the generic stuff. It's not at all a belief but 'better safe than sorry'.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Feb 19 2005, 02:04 AM
Post #4

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

I make sure all the cutlery is faceing the same way in it's drawers. And when I wake up at night I get up to check that everytghing is in it's place and then fix what isn't.
When I have a teaspoon I have an urge to hold it between my boobs just to make sure I don't put it down anywhere.
I line up my shoes and straiten them every time I pass.
Same deal with CDs

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Feb 19 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #5

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

hmm... personal superstition... *points at the username*

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Feb 19 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #6

I'm afraid I'm back.

Member No.: 1,308

I can't get to sleep if I know that the computer is still on at the plug, or the hi-fi, or my guitar amp, or if a plug socket is on I have to turn it off, I even did it once when I was trying to carry a mug and tried to turn it off with my foot, resulting in my smashing the mug.

Also, if there is a box or a wire or a lead or something in the middle of my room (my room is a bit like an alleyway, it's fairly long, but not that wide) I have to put it away for some reason. I have no idea why.

Also, if I need to go to the toilet or something in the middle of the night, I'll get out of bed, walk out of my room, turn my light on when I'm out of my room, go to the toilet/whatever, then turn it off before I go back in my room. I again have no idea why.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Feb 21 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #7

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Feb 18 2005, 09:04 PM)
I make sure all the cutlery is faceing the same way in it's drawers. And when I wake up at night I get up to check that everytghing is in it's place and then fix what isn't.
When I have a teaspoon I have an urge to hold it between my boobs just to make sure I don't put it down anywhere.
I line up my shoes and straiten them every time I pass.
Same deal with CDs

Sounds like Mild OCD, to me...
Myself, I check about half a dozen times to make sure the door is locked, when I leave the house... Even if I have to stop, and get out of the car, to do so... Even When I fully REMEMBER Locking it... When I watch a DVD, I always have to watch EVERYTHING on it, starting with the movie, and working my way through the special features... I'm so afraid that if I miss it the first time, I'll never see it, at all.
Yep. Mild OCD... smile.gif

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Feb 21 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #8

Meow!

Blackbirds and Ravens are my Avatars... when I see one where I don't expect it, or see one acting in what I beleive to be an odd manner, I know change is on the way... sometimes good, sometimes bad... And I hate change...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Feb 21 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #9

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

I always eat the vegetables before anything else on my plate, ALWAYS. And nothing on the plate can touch anything else (excluding Thanksgiving-type stuff).

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Sapphire_Sea
post Feb 21 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #10

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,625

Before I go to bed, my room has to be completely tidy. Everything on my desk arranged nicely, slippers by the side of the bed, closet shut, everything put away, etc. If I feel like something's not right in the room, I won't be able to sleep.
Also, if at all possible, I won't go out a different door to a house than I came in. My grandmother used to tell me that doing so would curse the house.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Feb 21 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I have to have a knife when I eat, even if I don't use it. People who only use a fork really bug me. I also have to have a pen in my mouth if possible and if there is a pen near me I have to throw it up and catch it... Oh, and when I go to the loo in the night, I have to turn on all the lights in the house (apart from other peoples bedrooms).

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Feb 21 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #12

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

I have to touch things equally with each hand/foot/random body part - you name it, doors, books, flooring, everything

I have to step over an equal number of cracks with each foot while walking

I have to count in fives while I'm eating, for example, half a sandwich is 3x5, i.e. 15 bites, then each bite is chewed five times.

I also have to chew an equal number of bites on each side of my mouth, i.e. a half sandwich (again) is five bites chewed on the left, five on the right, and five in the middle.

When I'm upset I walk around whatever room I'm in touching all the walls (I don't know why though, maybe to check thy're all real) and waggle my middle and ring fingers on my left hand in the air.

I won't walk under ladders etc, I prefer to avoid walking under windowsills and get really freaked out if someone I don't know touches me when I'm walking, it puts me off counting. Also if I'm walking with someone I do know I like to walk slightly behind them so they can't see me counting and I switch sides a lot (this really annoys everyone I know cause they can never find me as I dart about behind them).

I wash my hair twice a day, as in one shower but shampoo then shampoo again, then condition, and brush my teeth way too much.

When I'm tidying my room, especially my desk I can't have any two items touching one another.

I can't think of anything else right now, erm...I'm not actually all that bothered about typical obsessive things like switching off plugs and stuff, it actually annoys me that my boyfriend does it cause I go to make toast in the morning and it takes me about 5 minutes every day to realise the toaster's not broken just switched off at the wall. tongue.gif

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Feb 21 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #13

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I don't know if it counts but I've been sepnding alot of time in the isle with all the plug sockets and light switches etc in B&Q or homebase or where ever and I have to switch them all to the off position.

moop has a lightswitch in his computer room that really threw me because it switches the wrong way so I was stood pushing it for a few mins thinking it was stiff before I actually realised.
I don't like empty plug sockets being left on and have to turn them to off if I can. When I leave my house for more than a day I have to go around and make sure all the plugs are off, except the fridge which still bugs me.
I turn lights off when I leave a room if I'm going to be gone for more than 2 and a half mins... unless other people are also using it or likely to go in there before 2 and a half mins.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Wytukaze
post Feb 21 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #14

Carcinogenic Donkey

Member No.: 1,656

Hmm.. Pretty much the only thing like this that I do is that I try to chew anything equal times in both sides of my mouth.. With things like sweets I chew one in one side, then one in the other.. I find it very hard to take an odd number of sweets. I've done it since I was little, when I used to have to chew everything 26 times exactly.. It kinda follows on from there.

--------------------

JERUSALEM, Israel (AP) - In response to Israel's denial of water to the West Bank, HAMAS released three cheetahs in West Jerusalem, where they went on a killing spree, mauling four Jews and injuring thirteen.

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) - Following a cheetah attack on West Jerusalem perpetrated by the majority HAMAS party, the Israeli Air Force retaliated by detonating twenty kiloton nuclear devices over Gaza City, Jenin, Nablus, Rafah, and Ramallah.

ASHDOD, Israel (AP) - As a result of the atomic bombings of five Palestinian cities, a 50-foot tall reptile has woken from its million-year slumber in the Mediterranean Sea. The monster has made landfall at Ashdod and obliterated the city. Eyewitnesses report that the monster left the destroyed city heading southeast.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 5 2005, 03:02 AM
Post #15

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

*mini bump*

Whenever I go somewhere for the first time, I have to take a rock or two home with me--doesn't matter if it's a bowling alley or Puerto Rico. As a result, I have a large number of rocks, but I could tell you where each one came from. Sadly, my friends don't exactly understand and generally don't accept rocks as suitable souvenirs.

Similarly, I need to have something in my pocket to hold--especially school and places like that. Rocks are best, especially if they're smooth, but even a pencil will do. If I don't have any pockets in the clothes I'm wearing, I tend to hook my hands into a belt or hang onto the hem of a shirt, or pick at loose threads.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Mar 5 2005, 05:14 AM
Post #16

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

I find myself going batty if I don't have pockets to stick my hands in. I don't usually think about it unless I happen to be wearing pants or a skirt that don't have them without a coat that does.

I was raised in a really loud household, so now I find it hard to concentrate without background noise. I keep the TV on a lot when I'm alone, even when I'm not watching it.

I always have to sit in the corner of a resturant, or with my back to the wall, or where I can see as many people as possible. Comes from an abusive childhood, I guess.

I always feel ackward doing things alone. The back of my neck itches, I feel weird, I mumble to myself to get through it. I'm just glad I don't have the problem as bad as one of my friends. She can't go near strangers these days without having a panic attack.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Mar 5 2005, 01:16 PM
Post #17

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I have no idea why, but whenever I go into the bathroom, I HAVE to look in the bath. If I don't then I get the heebie jeebies big time.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Mar 5 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #18

I'm afraid I'm back.

Member No.: 1,308

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Mar 5 2005, 02:16 PM)
I have no idea why, but whenever I go into the bathroom, I HAVE to look in the bath. If I don't then I get the heebie jeebies big time.

I always have to look around the corners in my bathroom (it's an odd shape) to make sure there's noone trying to kill me (I'm slightly paranoid about that kinda stuff). Same goes with looking in the bath. Also looking in the small space between wardrobe and wall.

--------------------

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Mar 5 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #19

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

Anytime I'm nervous, I play with my helix ring. I always turn it, first to the left, then to the right- never right then left.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Mar 6 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #20

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

I have a minor case of obsessive-compussive disorder. That's fun.

I go nuts if I don't have my wallet, cell phone, cigarettes and lighter on me at all times.

When I check for my wallet (even though I know damn well it's there), I hold my breath, put my hand over my back right pocket, tap twice and exhale.

I've speant over ten minutes shuffling a deck of cards.

If I want to learn a song, I have to learn every word, otherwise I get mildly pissed.

I have to watch a movie at least eight times to completely "get it" (though there are movies I really don't want to "get").

I put back the tags that stick out of people's shirts, even if I don't know the person.

I fix my hair a lot.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Mar 6 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #21

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

I was allmost aressted for fixing 3 tags on a totalstangers shirt ,pants and knickers

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Mar 6 2005, 06:29 AM
Post #22

Meow!

QUOTE (Sapphire_Sea @ Feb 21 2005, 12:09 AM)
Before I go to bed, my room has to be completely tidy. Everything on my desk arranged nicely, slippers by the side of the bed, closet shut, everything put away, etc. 

Wow. If I did that, I'd never get to sleep, again... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Mar 6 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #23

Meow!

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Mar 4 2005, 10:02 PM)
*mini bump*

Whenever I go somewhere for the first time, I have to take a rock or two home with me--doesn't matter if it's a bowling alley or Puerto Rico. As a result, I have a large number of rocks, but I could tell you where each one came from. Sadly, my friends don't exactly understand and generally don't accept rocks as suitable souvenirs.

Sounds like an interesting hobby, but one that could get you in serious trouble... Not only does the law frown on such things, But Hawaiian national parks receive tons of lava rock in the mail each year. Apparently, visitors who pick up rocks from sites on the islands often encounter tragedy when they return home... Tragedy that often corrects itself when they return the stones. ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Mar 6 2005, 06:43 AM
Post #24

Meow!

When I go shopping, I often have to check the trunk twice, to make sure I've put all the groceries in, sometimes stopping on my way home, on the side of the road, to check. The same with the gas cap, after I've filled up. Can't leave anything to chance, even if I remember doing the thing I'm checking up on...

--------------------

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 7 2005, 02:09 AM
Post #25

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Sounds like an interesting hobby, but one that could get you in serious trouble..

That's part of my general insanity. No one can be looking at me when I pick one up, and (in my defense) they're very small rocks. Generally they're no larger than a half-dollar.

I've never been to Hawaii, but it sounds to me like they're spreading rumors to prevent people from disrupting the environment. I don;t go tramping off into the woods and pick up stuff, just rocks lying on paths (even bits of pavement will do in a pinch), or rocks from beaches that are interesting or smooth.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 03:50 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!