Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Masters
talking to faeri...
post Mar 4 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #1

put the aerial on your head

Group: New Members
Member No.: 89

I'm going to be graduating this year, and hopefully if all goes to plan I'll be starting my masters degree in September *fingers crossed*. I was just wondering if anyone here has done a masters and can just give me a clue about the work load and other stuff. I'm applying to do it part time so that I can get a job to cover the cost of my tuition fees, but was wondering if anyone had any advice or anything to offer me.

I'm hopefully doing my masters in history, so if anyone has possibly done the same that would be great to hear about, but I'd like to hear about all experiences from any subject.

I have been told that a Masters is easier than the normal degree, is this true or is someone just pulling my leg?

Thankyou smile.gif

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 4 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

They are pulling your leg I'm afraid. There is rather a lot of work involved in a Masters. When I was starting my PhD I was obliged to sit in on MA lectures, and the amount of work required to complete the course is quite big.

If I remember correctly (this was about five years ago) I think it's something like two 3,000 word essays each semester and a 20,000 words-ish dissertation at the end of the year. Doing it part-time would spread this out.

It's worth checking out what the course requires, because this will change massively between institutions.

After my BA that seemed like a lot of work, now I'm doing a PhD it doesn't seem so bad, but it can be a bit of a shock to the system when you first start. This said, if you're interested in your subject matter then it's a great thing to do.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
talking to faeri...
post Mar 8 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #3

put the aerial on your head

Group: New Members
Member No.: 89

Thanks Mata.

Yeah, I kinda guessed that they may have been pulling my leg. I'll still be applying though as I've really enjoyed my degree, plus it puts off having to get a 'propper job'. I've booked a place on a post graduate study open day, so hopefully that'll give me a bit more information.

Thanks for the info though smile.gif

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:42 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!