IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I've Got A Project, and I need some help...
Silver Star Ange...
post Mar 11 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #1

The Six Train.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 636

For my Introduction to the Urban Environment class, I need to do a project on two countries and their populations. I picked the United Kingdom and the Netherlands. I was able to find the population data I need for the past 20 years, but I'm having a difficult time finding income.
We need to get the recent income of the countries, for men and women so we can compare. Might anyone know this off the top of their heads, or know a place where I can get it?

Thank you so much for your help! laugh.gif

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Mar 11 2005, 01:37 AM
Post #2

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Erm, this is the census part of the Natinal Statistics site for the UK: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/default.asp, which I think should be the most useful to you.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 11 2005, 02:10 AM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I've had a look through the census site and I can't find anything much in relation to current income, only things from four or five years ago, and income has risen a lot since then.

I was looking for the same info myself a last week, but found it surprisingly hard to locate. I did find one of the unions stating that the average yearly income in the UK is around 26k, but nothing more ueful than that.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Mar 11 2005, 02:40 AM
Post #4

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I didnt actually look throughly. I just thought it would have it, what with it being called the National Statistics web site :

Erm, it might be worth contacting the Department for Work and Pensions then? Or the Economic and Social Research Council.

I came across this site, but I'm not about to dl the pdf's, so I dunno what data can be found in them: Equal Opportunities Commission.

On second thoughts, I think the National Statistics site'll be the best, coz that's where I found this.

This post has been edited by funked)out_frog: Mar 11 2005, 03:30 AM

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Mar 11 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #5

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

All you need to know about Britain's population (from an American perspective) is that we start drinking alcohol at a young age and continue in great measures throughout our lives. England is around the size of Oregon, but has 17 times the population of Oregon. The national religion is football (soccer to you guys). Other national past-times include getting drunk, having fights (whilst drunk, or about footbal, or preferably both), watching horrendously terrible TV soap operas, and discussing drinking, fighting, football and soap operas.

*removes tongue from cheek*

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 11 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #6

"British money is in pounds, shillings, and pence. (This is also explained more fully later on.) The British are used to this system and they like it, and all your arguments that the American decimal system is better won't convince them. They won't be pleased to hear you call it 'funny money', either. They sweat hard to get it (wages are much lower in Britain than America) and they won't think you smart or funny for mocking it."

"Don't try to tell the British that America won the last war or make wisecracks about the war debts or about British defeats in this war."

From 'Instructions for American Servicemen in 1942'

I love that book.

EDIT: According to that chart Frog found, I'm supposed to be earning 636.20 per week!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Mar 12 2005, 05:24 AM
Post #7

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

QUOTE (Jonman @ Mar 11 2005, 04:19 AM)
All you need to know about Britain's population (from an American perspective) is that we start ... watching horrendously terrible TV soap operas...
*removes tongue from cheek*

I've watched British soaps (On Public TV and BBCA), and I've watched American soaps... Beleive me, you brits don't know from terrible...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Mar 12 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #8

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (Mata @ Mar 11 2005, 01:31 PM)
EDIT: According to that chart Frog found, I'm supposed to be earning 636.20 per week!

I thought I was doing alright, but now it seems I'm living in poverty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 14 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #9

Well, the union thing I saw said that the national average is supposed to be 26k per year. Looking at those charts I was at first amazed by the difference between men's and women's wages, but then I had a thought.

If it's taken that the top earners in the country are mainly male (which is still true at the moment), what happens to the male average wage when you remove the top 2% of earners? That's probably all that you need to take out, because even one person earning 8million per year is going to distort things a fair bit. When I think about all the people I know, they all work in offices and shops where there is no wage difference on the basis of gender and there is a relatively equal split of male and female management. Among my friends there is a pretty even range of wages for the men and the women spread equally between them. I think that if you removed the very very big earners from the equation that it would probably show a far more accurate average.

There are strict averages, and then there are accurate ones. If 99 people make 16k per year and one person takes home 300k, what figure is going to be the most accurate average for the population? For the sake of fairness the same should be applied to the top 2% earning women too, but given the lower number of women in the 1million+ jobs I suspect that this wouldn't change their figure so dramatically.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Mar 14 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #10

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I just finished my project and it's due tomorrow.... it came out pretty nice!

Thank you so much for your help! laugh.gif

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Mar 14 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #11

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (Mata @ Mar 14 2005, 12:19 AM)
Well, the union thing I saw said that the national average is supposed to be 26k per year. Looking at those charts I was at first amazed by the difference between men's and women's wages, but then I had a thought.

If it's taken that the top earners in the country are mainly male (which is still true at the moment), what happens to the male average wage when you remove the top 2% of earners? That's probably all that you need to take out, because even one person earning 8million per year is going to distort things a fair bit. When I think about all the people I know, they all work in offices and shops where there is no wage difference on the basis of gender and there is a relatively equal split of male and female management. Among my friends there is a pretty even range of wages for the men and the women spread equally between them. I think that if you removed the very very big earners from the equation that it would probably show a far more accurate average.

There are strict averages, and then there are accurate ones. If 99 people make 16k per year and one person takes home 300k, what figure is going to be the most accurate average for the population? For the sake of fairness the same should be applied to the top 2% earning women too, but given the lower number of women in the 1million+ jobs I suspect that this wouldn't change their figure so dramatically.

There's a lot of hoo-haa about the pay gap between the genders at the mo. Now, I have to admit being skeptical about a large proportion of it.

There's definitely room for complaint is when a woman gets paid less for doing the same job as a man. That is unacceptable. But in most corporate environments, for the bog-standard worker folk, that's simply not possible. The pay grading structure is pretty rigidly defined.

Then there's the issue of women being overlooked for promotion, thus limiting them to lower pay grades. Again, unacceptable. I'd like to know how widespread a phenomenom this is.

However, what most of the statistics seem to be based on is average wages. Which is a ridiculously skewed statistic.

Given that the majority of childcare at home is undertaken by women (rightly or wrongly - I'm not commenting on the morality of it), then that drops the average wage for a woman hugely. Then there's the impact on a woman's career that taking 5-10 years out to raise a few kids to school age. That's going to result in a lower wage (once she returns to work) compared to a man or woman who's spent that time gaining (work-related) skills and climbing the wage ladder. And even then, a significant proportion of mothers returning to work are working part-time to provide more time for family duties. Which is going to skew the average even further.

Then there's the issue of having such a small amount of women in top earning jobs. Part of the reason can be put down to discrimination (not going to speculate on how much), but part must surely go down to so many women being off the career ladder for familial reasons again.

It seems like whenever you read a report about it, these differences are overlooked.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 10:27 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!