Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weird...just Weird...
Ikemook
post Mar 14 2005, 04:17 AM
Post #1

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,063

Okay, I was apartment hunting last week, and came across this, and I had to post it here.

It's the web page for Pleasant Street Apartments, who do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, sexual preference, familial status, or national origin...but don't mind discriminating on the basis of political affiliation *_* To illustrate:

"However republicans, racists, alcoholics and party animals need not apply. If you don't feel comfortable and confident about these issues call College Park Apartments and ask for Nathan Collier." [emphasis mine]

Now, please don't get me wrong. They're a business, and can rent out to whomever the heck they want.

But they're requirements are just so...unusual. I've never heard of any rentors renting out places on the basis of political affiliation, AND saying so outright.

I love this part:

"We like to receive applications from people who have progressive lifestyles. Progressive as in someone that bicycles or walks before they will hop in a automobile. Someone that stays up on political issues and usually is sympathetic to the Peoples, Environmental, Social movements not the Conglomerate and Conservative movements. People that think W. Bush is a kinda' alright guy should apply elsewhere...We also prefer applicants that abstain from eating dead animals and who like to feed the maintenace personnel." [emphasis mine]

Man, with all the chicken I eat, they'd slaughter me.

Anyone else think this is really friggin' odd? Not to make light of anyone's beliefs...but this is kinda funny to me...

--David
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Mar 14 2005, 05:42 AM
Post #2

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 618

To tell the truth, I don't know anybody who would apply to all these restrictions.

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Mar 14 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #3

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

To tell the truth, I don't know anybody who would apply to all these restrictions.

*tentatively raises hand*

I'll admit the restrictions are strange, but I can't say I wouldn't like living there. tongue.gif

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Mar 16 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #4

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

The problem with it is that it doesn't challenge anybody's beliefs. Without anybody to challenge those ideas, the ideas cannot grow, and mature. While I agree with some of their ideas, I understand that having any community that shares many of its ideas, with no real conversation, is destined to become extremist. I think that many of the problems with the world stem in large part from extrimist views, although, as a moderate, I'm open to other ideas tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Mar 16 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

... Isn't this just another form of discrimination?

They're a business, and can rent out to whomever the heck they want.

Not strictly true. They still have to adhere to Human Rights and discrimation laws. You can't turn someone away from a property (nor a community) just because of their policital views.

It really isn't much better than saying they don't want to rent to ethnic minorities/homosexuals/disabled/families, and they all fall under discrimination acts.

Dunno. Just doesn't sit right with me, on a more political level.

On a 'normal' level, I think it's quite entertaining...

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
Daedalus
post Mar 16 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #6

Pretend you didn't notice

Member No.: 556

Not entirely sure if I'm ok with the idea or not, but I wouldn't equate it to racism or homophobia. The forms of discrimination you mentioned are against characteristics of which the individual has no choice. Discriminating against Republicans is discriminating against someone because (in the eyes of the discriminator) who is a complete idiot. Discrimination is healthy, we do it every day. Discrimination is how the best person is selected for a job vacancy. What is wrong is unfair discrimination, which in my book, is discrimination based on anything the individual has no choice over and has no real relevance to the reason for discrimination.

--------------------
I wub snoo

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Mar 16 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #7

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

Not entirely sure if I'm ok with the idea or not, but I wouldn't equate it to racism or homophobia. The forms of discrimination you mentioned are against characteristics of which the individual has no choice. Discriminating against Republicans is discriminating against someone because (in the eyes of the discriminator) who is a complete idiot. Discrimination is healthy, we do it every day. Discrimination is how the best person is selected for a job vacancy. What is wrong is unfair discrimination, which in my book, is discrimination based on anything the individual has no choice over and has no real relevance to the reason for discrimination.

Knew someone would say that, hence why I also added 'families' - because that is a choice.

So. Um. Ner!

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 09:12 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!