> R.i.p. Andre Norton, a sad day for scifi readers
Ashbless
post Mar 18 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

SF Grand Master Norton Dies

Science fiction and fantasy author Andre Norton, who wrote the popular Witch World series, has died, the Associated Press reported. She was 93.

Her death was announced by friend Jean Rabe, who said Norton died March 17 of congestive heart failure at her home in Murfreesboro, a Nashville suburb, the AP reported.

Norton requested before her death that she not have a funeral service, but instead asked to be cremated along with a copy of her first and last novels.

Born Alice Mary Norton on Feb. 17, 1912, in Cleveland, she wrote more than 130 books in many genres during her career of nearly 70 years. She used a pen name, which she made her legal name in 1934, because she expected to be writing mostly for young boys and thought a male name would help sales.

The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America recently created the Andre Norton Award for young adult novels, and the first award will be presented in 2006, the AP reported.

Norton's Witch World series, which details life on an imaginary planet reachable only through hidden gateways, included more than 30 novels.

Norton was the first woman to receive the Grand Master of Fantasy Award from the SFWA in 1977, and she won the Nebula Grand Master Award in 1984. Her last complete novel, Three Hands of Scorpio, is set to be released in April

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Mar 18 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #2

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 380

You just beat me to it. I cried so hard when I found out.... She was writing books up to the end. Several of my favorite serieses were co-written by her very recently.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:50 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!