> Uni, I'm just a tad scared about it all :
froggle-rock
post Mar 21 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #1

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

Phew.

I'm currently in the process of filling out forms and trying to put a portfolio together. Luckily I have Director, so I will have a go at learning it so I can make a fancy swanky CD-ROM.

I really am getting butterflies in my belly, even thought I haven't actually yet applied.

This is the course I am applying for. Design and video stuff. I never wanted to do 'just' a video production course, or 'just' a graphic design one. And to be honest, if I hadn't of seen this course at Thames Valley, I wouldn't be applying to go to uni at all.

My fella has been encouraging me to apply since we got together. I guess I just never thought I was intelligent enough. But then I was proof reading (yeah, I know you'd never guess I do that from the number of typos I make tongue.gif) for him, and I figured that as long I have a passion for what I study at degree level, then I have a good chance of lasting five years.

I decided to sign up to do a five year degree because I think it'll fit my life better. I want to take my time. Also, Lo pointed out to me that she found that she got better grades when she studied over a longer period of time. Plus, if I do it over five years I can pursue other interests.

I have done many many things since I took my GCSE's (qualifications gained at the end of 'mandatory' secondary schooling) six years ago, none of them resulting in qualification is all. However I have done what I consider a nice little range of life stuff. Hopefully the uni will offer me an Access course if they turn me down for the degree.

Pretty much, I am pooping myself about aplying, and if I get accepted being back in education.

I must thank Jonman for making me have along hard think about what I was doing. Thank you Jonman.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Mar 23 2005, 08:05 AM
Post #2

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

Good luck Froggy!

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Misty Rain
post Mar 31 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #3

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,525

All the best.

It takes me back to when I walked out of my crap trainee job. It was frightening but I never regretted it.

Misty Rain

--------------------
?[SIZE=14]

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Apr 1 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #4

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

cool sounding course; lots of that stuff is on our menu as well, especially the 3d modelling and animation, both of which are great (as long as you avoid RHINO and flash... which, sadly, we didn't...). 5 years must mean there's a helluva lot to learn, though, especially if its only to honours level; most courses in scotland are four years for honours, five for masters, so you can probably expect a lot of stressful workloads. Still looks like fun, mind you. Is the uni itself any good? I know little to nothing of the london area's education.

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Apr 1 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #5

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Good luck! I loved uni biggrin.gif I'm sure you'll love it too smile.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Apr 1 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

Good luck Froggy! I know you're going to love it and do really well. Uni takes getting used to, especially when you've been away from school for awhile, but nothing you can't handle. Now go and join the unwashed masses of academia! happy.gif

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Apr 1 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #7

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Thank you all biggrin.gif

Tara, it's a part-time degree course. I'll be hopefuly going to an open day after Easter. Not too sure how good of a uni it is to be honest huh.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Apr 3 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #8

NyanNyanNyan

Ah yeah, I missed that bit. That would explain why it takes so long... so whatcha gonna do at the same time, work? or are u gonna be a professional student (ie lazy bum)?

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Apr 3 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #9

omno-ahhhhhhh!

I'm going to have to pull up my socks and earn whilst I learn. I am currently a bum, and there is no way I could survive on a student loans, and at the same time, I don't want to end up relying on it like I have seen quite a few people do.

You a professional student then? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Apr 3 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #10

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Student loans are quite flexible, you can take as little as you need or as much as they offer you... if you can get a sponsor then that's even better because you don't have to pay any back.

I know you'll enjoy it, you always have the forum IRC to help you through the hard bits.

*SMEXES*

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Apr 4 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #11

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

I'm still slightly mystified as to precisely what it was that I did, but I'm glad that whatever it was had a positive effect.

A bit of unfounded advice for you Ms Frog: was chatting with a few folks a few days ago, a couple of whom are graphic designers. The gist of what they were saying is that it's a ludicrously competetive industry when you're job-hunting. One guy had 500 applicants for his job when he got it, the girl over 200.

So, not wanting to pee on your bonfire, but I think it will behoove you to keep that in mind throughout the length of your course, and keep half an eye on keeping a portfolio together so that you're in good shape when you want to use your qualification in anger.

And good luck.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Apr 4 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #12

NyanNyanNyan

QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Apr 3 2005, 12:43 PM)
I'm going to have to pull up my socks and earn whilst I learn.  I am currently a bum, and there is no way I could survive on a student loans, and at the same time, I don't want to end up replying on it like I have seen quite a few people do. 

You a professional student then? wink.gif

indeed, though through no fault of my own; I went for a job interview last month (yep, a whole ONE!), but they turned me down... and on friday I managed to go out, spend less than a fiver and come home drunk and with a crate of smirnoff ice! Which was nice...

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Apr 4 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #13

omno-ahhhhhhh!

QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 4 2005, 08:17 AM)
it's a ludicrously competetive industry when you're job-hunting. One guy had 500 applicants for his job when he got it, the girl over 200.

Jonman, you made me think about what I was doing, and who I was becoming. And I didn't like it. So thanks. biggrin.gif

I don't actualy want to go into the industry, infact I never have. I just figured I should study something that I enjoy because that way I'm less likey to drop out. I think I eventualy want to end up doing multimedia stuff with kids. Hmm.

*SMEXES Snoo* wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 4 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #14

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

That sounds like a really interesting course, maybe I should join it after my PhD biggrin.gif I might actually get to learn how to use stuff properly that way!

Being realistic, I expect you will be asked to do an access course, but that's not a problem, they're fun too, and it's always good to feel like you're progressing towards something.

On the matter of whether it will lead to a job: there's a lot of evidence that suggests that getting a degree, any degree in anything, leads to you having a 25% greater income over your lifetime when compared to someone without one. I'm not sure whether this is due to appearing more suitable for promotion or being trained to work more efficiently, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Oh, the same survey found that getting an MA doesn't increase this advantage, and getting a PhD actually makes it drop!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Apr 4 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #15

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 4 2005, 01:12 PM)
That sounds like a really interesting course, maybe I should join it after my
On the matter of whether it will lead to a job: there's a lot of evidence that suggests that getting a degree, any degree in anything, leads to you having a 25% greater income over your lifetime when compared to someone without one. I'm not sure whether this is due to appearing more suitable for promotion or being trained to work more efficiently, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Oh, the same survey found that getting an MA doesn't increase this advantage, and getting a PhD actually makes it drop!

I think that's a rubbish statistic though. Purely down to the fact that the people capable (socially or intellectually) of getting a degree are the people who will gravitate towards higher paid work.

And also, the kind of person that studies for postgraduate studies will NOT be gravitating towards higher paid work, as they'll be more likely to be academics (and therefore paid like crap) instead of investment bankers.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 7 2005, 01:47 AM
Post #16

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

True, but that doesn't mean that it's not accurate, only that it could be construed as misleading. While I don't think that people with more qualifications are more intelligent all the time, I do think that they can set you apart from a crowd of applicants.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:35 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!