Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Euphemisms, What are your favorites?
Quoth(The Raven)
post Mar 25 2005, 04:00 AM
Post #1

Meow!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,296

recently, in a book I'm reading, a charachter was talking about going to the bathroom to "Squeeze off a Nixon". I just about rolled on the floor, laughing...

anyone out there have any other euphemisms?

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Mar 25 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #2

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I'm sorry, but what does 'euphemisms' mean?

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Mar 25 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #3

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

Actually, as well as holding the delectable matazone forums, the internet also holds a wealth of other information. People should use it more often...

A fine example wouild be dictionary.com.

In other news I'm having lots of fun at the moment because candice and myself decided to give up swearing immediately at the end of lent, so much euhpenishing fun. Mostly just been replacing swear words with synonyms at the moment.

"Oh copulation." just tends to make people giggle and look at you strangely though, but the frequent slip ups are fun when an accidentally uttered swear turns into a string of expletives cut short by eachother then the final confused silence when you can't think of an alternative word.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 25 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #4

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

"euhpenishing": (verb) the act of replacing an offensive word for the male genitilia with another, slightly less offensive term.

(tee hee)

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
FeralPolyglot
post Mar 25 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #5

=^^= ~~

Member No.: 1,690

Dictionary.com describes a euphemism as "The act or an example of substituting a mild, indirect, or vague term for one considered harsh, blunt, or offensive." Here's a very interesting encyclopedia entry on euphemisms, their linguistic history, types of euphemisms, and much more stuff you've probably never thought of...

"Euphemism" from the Wikipedia Encyclopedia

A euphemism for "having sex" is "doing the horizontal mambo/tango/polka/insert-random-dance-here." A euphemism for "to die" is "to kick the bucket." A group of my friends and I use the euphemism "to play cards" to delicately and humorously talk about sex and in turn, "playing solitaire" is a euphemism for "masturbation." Euphemisms are fun!

{addendum after reading abovementioned site: Wow, that's really detailed and interesting. It gives evolution and examples and everything! -FPG}

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

What have you done today to make you feel proud?
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi
"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"You can't change the music of your soul." -Katherine Hepburn
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Mar 26 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #6

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

Well, that definition is fine, as far as it goes. Personally, I define a Euphemism as a word or phrase that is used in place of a word or phrase that may be considered bad or controversial. There are, in my estimation, three kinds of Euphemism:

1. Straight forward. A straight forward euphemism is pretty much as advertised; a word or phrase that can be considered to be negative in a given situation is replaced by a neutral word or phrase. the word 'Sh*t', for example, may be rendered as 'Excrement'. The two words mean roughly the same thing, but one is considered negative, the other, clinical.

2. Reverse Euphemism. again, pretty much as advertised. In this case, a 'Clean' word or phrase is replaced by a more colorful, and controversial one. a speaker may need to refer to an 'outhouse', for example, but consider that term too bland... he or she may insert the word 'Sh*thouse' instead, reversing the usual course of a euphemism.

3. Colorful, or borderline, Euphemisms. This involves replacing a problematical word or phrase with something technically tamer, but more metaphorical. The euphemism in the first post of this thread qualifies, here. While 'Squeezing off a Nixon' may not be as negative as 'Taking a Cr*p', it is far more colorful, and in some ways, more disturbing a phrase... making it less a euphemism, than a metaphor.

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Mar 26 2005, 04:44 AM
Post #7

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

Am I the only one who can think of loads of euphemisms for male masturbating but very few(2) for female?

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 26 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #8

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Am I the only one who can think of loads of euphemisms for male masturbating but very few(2) for female?

I can think of about 6 for female. I put that down to having worked in a very male dominated factory many years ago. No one does euphemisms like a factory worker. wink.gif

No, thet really aren't repeatable in polite company. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Mar 26 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #9

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

He's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!

[\spam] [\alot]

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Mar 26 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Mar 26 2005, 04:57 AM)

I can think of about 6 for female. I put that down to having worked in a very male dominated factory many years ago. No one does euphemisms like a factory worker. wink.gif

No, thet really aren't repeatable in polite company. biggrin.gif

Does one of your six include "bean" and "flick" in the same sentence?

Mmmm euphemisms

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Mar 27 2005, 01:10 AM
Post #11

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

to flick the budgie
to double click your mouse

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Wytukaze
post Mar 27 2005, 03:53 AM
Post #12

Carcinogenic Donkey

Member No.: 1,656

Ah, yes.. Euphemisms. I can only think of one I really like right now: "fermer son parapluie" which is French for "to close one's umbrella" as a euphemism for death. I also vaguely recall another, translatable as "to stop having toothache" which I thought was fantastic.

--------------------

JERUSALEM, Israel (AP) - In response to Israel's denial of water to the West Bank, HAMAS released three cheetahs in West Jerusalem, where they went on a killing spree, mauling four Jews and injuring thirteen.

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) - Following a cheetah attack on West Jerusalem perpetrated by the majority HAMAS party, the Israeli Air Force retaliated by detonating twenty kiloton nuclear devices over Gaza City, Jenin, Nablus, Rafah, and Ramallah.

ASHDOD, Israel (AP) - As a result of the atomic bombings of five Palestinian cities, a 50-foot tall reptile has woken from its million-year slumber in the Mediterranean Sea. The monster has made landfall at Ashdod and obliterated the city. Eyewitnesses report that the monster left the destroyed city heading southeast.

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Mar 27 2005, 04:09 AM
Post #13

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

"talking to Ralph on the big white phone"
"Driving the porcelain bus"

Some of the ones for throwing up are just fun.

Worst one: "Dropping the kids off to the pool" For going to the bathroom.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Mar 27 2005, 05:00 AM
Post #14

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

oddly enough I heard this one as a replacement for dating/sex.

Waffles the first time are just a mess but the second they're mmmm.

yes ladies and gents -- waffles

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Mar 27 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #15

sesquipedalian

Speaking of English having too many euphemisms, there's a strip mall by me consisting of the following stores lined up (you can't tell me the planner didn't notice this):
Dick's, Odd Job, BJ's, Seaman's

blink.gif

--------------------
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Mar 30 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #16

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Mar 26 2005, 04:36 PM)
He's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!

[\spam] [\alot]

This probably tells you more about me then you need to know but as I read this I mentally corrected it. For reference it should be:

He's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Vis-a-vis the metabolic processes, 'e's 'ad 'is lot! 'E's 'opped the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off this mortal coil, 'e's run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!

*gets coat

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Misty Rain
post Mar 31 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #17

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,525

[anyone out there have any other euphemisms?

When the newsreader says such and such a group has claimed responsibility for some whatever outrage what is really meant is that they have admitted their guilt.

Misty Rain

--------------------
?[SIZE=14]

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Mar 31 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #18

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

"regime change" - invasion
"administrative adjustment" - "lay offs" - mass firing of employees

some euphamisms are only used to make bad things sound less damaging.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Misty Rain
post Mar 31 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #19

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,525

[some euphamisms are only used to make bad things sound less damaging.

Doesn't work though

--------------------
?[SIZE=14]

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 31 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #20

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Doesn't work though

It does when you're the person doing the sacking. *noddles*

*has experience*

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Mar 31 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #21

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

Give the sack - to be told you are no longer required by your employer

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
MonochromeRainbo...
post Apr 15 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #22

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,508

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Mar 30 2005, 08:52 PM)
This probably tells you more about me then you need to know but as I read this I mentally corrected it. For reference it should be:

**monty P garbage**

*gets coat

yes, get your coat. i sense anorakness. you are in fact an automatic anorak, as i have said more times than i can count. however, it is nice to be correct.

euphemisms - i can think of very many for masturbation, and one of my friends uses 'playing scrabble' for having sex for some reason. (sorry j, this may be more information than you need to know. close your eyes.)

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Apr 18 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #23

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I saw the Oxford dictionary of euphemisms today, nearly bought it but couldn't be bothered, it was 4 and I had no change on me!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Apr 19 2005, 03:35 AM
Post #24

sesquipedalian

QUOTE(artist.unknown @ Mar 26 2005, 04:36 PM)

[\spam] [\alot]

He's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Vis-a-vis the metabolic processes, 'e's 'ad 'is lot! 'E's 'opped the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off this mortal coil, 'e's run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!

*gets coat

I trying to type it as he said it! It was hard and he talked really fast! *cries with shame*

'flip the birdie' If you think about it, that actually conjures a pretty funny mental image.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Apr 22 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #25

My direction

Member No.: 495

I heard "Worshipping the porcelain goddess" for throwing up. This was told to me as I was sitting on the bathroom floor waiting for it to happen tongue.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:39 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!