Reply to this topicStart new topic
> American English Vs British English
FeralPolyglot
post Mar 26 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #1

=^^= ~~

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,690

Hey! While I was browsing the Wikipedia Encyclopedia for the Euphemism post, I found this entry on the differences between American and British English! Maybe it's just exciting to me because I'm a linguist. But I thought it'd be very fitting to post here because we have so many members from America and from Britain.

"American and British English Differences" from Wikipedia

Please feel free to put under this thread if there's anything you find particularly interesting, untrue, or if you feel that there's been anything left out that would be enlightening to address. smile.gif

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

What have you done today to make you feel proud?
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi
"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"You can't change the music of your soul." -Katherine Hepburn
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Mar 26 2005, 04:57 AM
Post #2

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

I didn't read through the whole thing but I did find it very interesting.
I also have a theoy that American English is more aggressive than Australian/English English. eg wind shield/wind screen
And that letters like Z are more agressive than S realize/realise.

That kind of thing but when I started a topic to discuss it I ended up being banned from a comunity for general offensiveness. huh.gif

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Mar 26 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

I thought that American English was used exclusively in the English speaking world while outside of the Commonwealth. It's surprising to see that many worldwide institutions use British English as it seems that American is generally more favoured...

That said certain American words annoy the hell out of me. Like Aluminum. Gah. Completely ruining a word thats fun to speak for no reason.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 26 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #4

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

That said certain American words annoy the hell out of me. Like Aluminum. Gah. Completely ruining a word thats fun to speak for no reason.

The American pronounciation of oregano makes me giggle every time.

/spam

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 26 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #5

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Calantyr @ Mar 26 2005, 10:41 AM)

Hear ye, hear ye:

The metal was named by English chemist Sir Humphrey Davy in the early 19th century, deriving the name from a mineral called alumina. Sir Humphrey wasn't very consistent with the name however: calling it alumium in 1807, then aluminum, and then to aluminium in 1812. His colleagues preferred this latter name, as it used the same suffix as many other elements (potassium, sodium, magnesium, etc.) and thus sounded right. The -num spelling hung around for a little while in Britain, but soon everyone was using the -nium spelling.

The USA had officially used the aluminium spelling from the start (as evident from an 1828 dictionary and works by many American chemists). Outside of science, however, many people were using the the aluminum spelling (Sir Humphrey's second spelling). However, the word wasn't really in regular use anyway at the time, as it was a very expensive metal, and thus was rare in common speech.

By 1907, it was cheaper. A company called The Pittsburgh Reduction Company (now known as Alcoa) was renamed. The first name proposed for the business was 'The Pittsburgh Aluminium Company'. However, it became the 'Aluminum Company of America'. This shows the uncertainty in America regarding the spelling.

It is extremely likely that the company's high profile contributed massively to the popularising of the aluminum spelling in the United States. By 1925, the American Chemical Society had made it the standard spelling.

Incidentally, in 1990 the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry made the British spelling, aluminium, the standard. However, it will take much more than that to change a hundred years of speech.

So, really, it's all the fault of one of our British men that the Americans spell it differently. If he had stuck with a spelling from the start, there would be consistency. But, unfortunately, Sir Humphrey confused matters by moving through three different spellings.

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Mar 26 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #6

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

Orrrregino! Or oregano to you.

This... is the good sh*t. Ooh, mama.

You say caterpillar... And we say caterpillar.
You say 'erbs, and we say herbs. Because there's a f**king 'h' in it!
You say leesure. We say lezuuriay.

... No. I can't think of anything worthwhile. Spam - but relevant spam. Spaced-y, Izzard-y, tasty spam. Mmmmm.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Mar 26 2005, 02:02 PM
Post #7

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

When I was younger, I used to say herbs. tongue.gif

And just so you all know - the more intelligent of us spell it "doughnut", too. Donut is just lazy!

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Mar 26 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #8

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

I hate American spellings. Especially's z's. It's all pointy and brittle in my head. So I don't use them. Which annoys some of my teachers, but who asked for their opinion anyway? Heh.

How else can you possibly say it? Or-rayg-gan-oe. And wait, aren't we the ones will all the Italians skulking around? (You should know, you watch the Sapranos, and yes, it's EXACTLY like that in New Jersey. To the letter. Yepp.) I'm quite sure they say it that way at the four pizza places within a three block radius. tongue.gif

I was confused for years over yogurt/yoghurt. In fact, wait, no, I still am. I can never remember which it is that I'm supposed to use.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 26 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #9

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

The typical British pronounciation of my name makes me cringe. Cand-eese. Ugh. Sounds like canned geese. It's cand-iss, consarnit! Which is probably why I'll just go by Cand over there, even though I dislike the way that sounds out loud. And I'll stop ranting about that now...really...I will...

Lately I've started using British spellings here and there. I blame moop for corrupting me. I have to say, "colour" looks prettier than "color," though.

And incidentally, I've never heard of a few of the things in the American list. Wall wart? What on earth?

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Mar 26 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #10

I'm afraid I'm back.

Member No.: 1,308

QUOTE (candice @ Mar 26 2005, 08:49 PM)
The typical British pronounciation of my name makes me cringe.  Cand-eese.  Ugh.  Sounds like canned geese.  It's cand-iss, consarnit!  Which is probably why I'll just go by Cand over there, even though I dislike the way that sounds out loud.  And I'll stop ranting about that now...really...I will...

Cand-eese? That's how I've always pronounced your name... it sounds better and more British. *Goes patriotic and 'stiff upper-lipped' for a second* I have always beleeeeeeeved that the proper Breeeeetish spelling and pronunci-aaaaaaaaaay-tion of words makes them sound - apart from more British - more coooooooooooooooooorrect. I also beleeeeeeeeeeeeve that canned geese is a verrrrrry tasty British dinn-aaar.

*Snaps out of it*

*Cough*

But I have to admit that a lot of the stuff on there I spell the American way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 26 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #11

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Cand - iss, always.

And I don't know what you're talking about JimiJimi - proper pronounciation of her name IS Cand - iss.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Hyperion
post Mar 26 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #12

samazon

Member No.: 234

Indeed; what the heck is a shivaree?

Or, perhaps the more proper spelling is Charivari?

Anyway, I always liked using "colour" and "flavour" better than the typical American spelling, but I'm also a little snot when it comes to grammar and spelling and such things. There was a teensy problem with my sophomore english teacher and her insistence that I was incorrect in spelling things that way. Then I beat her with a dictionary and all was well. n_n

But it is interesting to find out that I've been using the wrong spelling for my region of the world - I don't think I've ever spelled dialogue without the 'ue'. It just wouldn't be proper. *blink*

--------------------
I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber, poking among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys. I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the pork chops? What price bananas? Are you my Angel? Ginsberg

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Mar 26 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #13

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Mar 26 2005, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 26 2005, 08:49 PM)
The typical British pronounciation of my name makes me cringe.  Cand-eese.  Ugh.  Sounds like canned geese.  It's cand-iss, consarnit!  Which is probably why I'll just go by Cand over there, even though I dislike the way that sounds out loud.  And I'll stop ranting about that now...really...I will...

Cand-eese? That's how I've always pronounced your name... it sounds better and more British. *Goes patriotic and 'stiff upper-lipped' for a second* I have always beleeeeeeeved that the proper Breeeeetish spelling and pronunci-aaaaaaaaaay-tion of words makes them sound - apart from more British - more coooooooooooooooooorrect. I also beleeeeeeeeeeeeve that canned geese is a verrrrrry tasty British dinn-aaar.

*Snaps out of it*

*Cough*

But I have to admit that a lot of the stuff on there I spell the American way.

You deserve to be banned for good, just on the basis of that post.
There is no way in <insert place here> that you speak like that so just shut up already.

I've always said it Cand-iss because I'm special and you wub me tongue.gif

American spellings look weird to me, but then I guess that British spellings look wrong to most Americans. I have to agree on the oregano thing though, how do you not want to kick yourselves for pronouncing it like that? I've been to Italy, it's not how they say it.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Mar 26 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #14

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

I have neither forms of English, mine is more of a "Microsoft Word" English where I spend my time fighting the autocorrect and trying to trick it to spelling things the English English way.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Mar 27 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #15

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Sir Teapot, I lend you my sword of grammar to aid you in your righteous battle! For all Christendom's sake, may you prevail!

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Mar 27 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #16

Samauri Teapain

Sir Polo! I am in great peril! I do not know how long I can hold back these Western Armies of the Red Squiggle banner.

--------------------
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Mar 27 2005, 01:22 AM
Post #17

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (candice @ Mar 27 2005, 04:49 AM)

Lately I've started using British spellings here and there.  I blame moop for corrupting me.  I have to say, "colour" looks prettier than "color," though.

And incidentally, I've never heard of a few of the things in the American list.  Wall wart?  What on earth?

Well, I pronounced your name Cand-eese, until you told me that the proper pronunciation of it is Cand-iss. Ye just don't screw with the pronunciation of proper names, I don't care what nationality you are.

I don't feel qualified to participate in this conversation further. Apparently Canadian English is some weird amalgum of American and British English with some Scottish thrown in for good measure.

*puts on toque, runners and bunnyhug* I'm off to the tire centre to get the neighbour's beater's windshield fixed and the engine checked. It'll only go 'bout 50 klicks. It's slower than my ski-doo! Good thing I have some Canadian Tire money. Then I'll go get some doughnuts, timbits, and doubledouble at Tim's and pick up some herbs, a tub of yogurt, some homo, glossettes and Vico at the corner store, eh? You gonna be aboat the hoase later on? Phillipe the francophone is dropping by and I want you to have some nanaimo bars and poutine out for him. Should I get stuff for Caesars, or do you want rye and ginger? Whatever, I'll just pick up a two four. We'll get pissed! Nah, I don't need you to pull for me, I'm old enough, the mounties won't fine me. Do you have any spare loonies or twoonies? I'm on the pogey and can't find my wallet, maybe there's some in the chesterfield, eh? Get out of your housecoat and trackpants, oh, and check the garbuerator, it's been acting up.. I think Jenny's been stuffing serviettes, chewed up Thrills and elastics down there with her dang shinny friends again.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Mar 27 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #18

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Jaq, that was... horrible. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
believe
post Mar 27 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #19

the token conservative

Member No.: 1,594

They don't have a proper english, english version of MS, Mr. Teapot?

--------------------
Mr.Teapot is my e-daddy, Jaq is my e-sister and Vic is my e-husband! syuu is our e-daughter.

Pit Bulls & BSL Urban Legends Fight BSL

We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
- The Boondock Saints

Ange is the devil on my shoulder.

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Mar 27 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #20

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Mar 27 2005, 09:17 PM)
Jaq, that was... horrible. tongue.gif

And you loved it. wink.gif

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Mar 27 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #21

Samauri Teapain

QUOTE (believe @ Mar 27 2005, 01:17 PM)
They don't have a proper english, english version of MS, Mr. Teapot?

At this computer they do but most of the work I do is at college where I cannot change any of the damn settings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
believe
post Mar 27 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #22

the token conservative

Member No.: 1,594

MrTeapot: bastards. ._.

--------------------
Mr.Teapot is my e-daddy, Jaq is my e-sister and Vic is my e-husband! syuu is our e-daughter.

Pit Bulls & BSL Urban Legends Fight BSL

We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
- The Boondock Saints

Ange is the devil on my shoulder.

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Apr 2 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #23

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

SOmeone got there first with the Izzard quotyness which is what I would have posted here. I've always wondered about the whole different words for different things in the states such as faucet/ tap, ketchup/catsup, nappy/diaper, etc. Where did that lot come from?

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
zivane
post Apr 2 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #24

Goddess of Purple Froot Loops

From: various, Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Member No.: 1,682

I've always spelled things like colour that way... and used and 's' instead of a 'z'.... even when I was little. I never stood for the pledge in kindergarten either, though. Crazy child ^.^

Things I don't get are how at school, everyone calls lunch - supper, dinner - tea. What? Some people asked us to meet for tea the first night and I'm like, tea, at 5. Okay. Then I realised that the cafeteria was only open until 6:30. So I went. And low and behold, we all ate dinner. -.- When we have tea, my friends and I are crazy and have actual tea parties. Various teas, cookies, biscuits, cakes, little sandwiches, what have you. Not dinner. And it's usually Sunday afternoon around 2ish.

And a funny one. Up north it's "you guys", down south it "ya'll" or "you's guys", in England, it's "you lot". Hehe. I have no idea what the west coast version is.

Another thing that really weirded me out but now I do it as well, is half-noon, or half three. Meaning half past three. Or three-thirty. I don't know if that's just the people where I'm at or if that's a British thing altogether...

Oh, and Canadian. That's American, British, French, and Scottish all mixed up. *shudder*

--------------------
hawtt?! perfect ^.^

niao! ^.^ mr. cheeseiemooseys n00b - kinda, eh?

t3h uber 1337 LJ monster Little Gamers Web Comic My Space

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Apr 2 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #25

Samauri Teapain

A question, if you handed in an essay in the USA spelling "colour" with a 'u' are you corrected or is it ok to use typically english spellings?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:08 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!