Forum Rules 
> Amazon Stuff, down the bottom of the page
Mata
post Apr 7 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As some of you have probably noticed, at the moment I'm trying various ways of making this site profitable while not costing my visitors anything. Think of it as a way of screwing money out of the people that charge too much for simple things anyway.

In that line of thinking, I'm now an associate with Amazon. The media industry likes to overprice things if you ask me, but in the end we still want their stuff so we have to bite the bullet.

Anyway, at the bottom of the forum pages and below the animations are now search boxes for Amazon. There's .com on the left and .co.uk on the right (if there's a big demand for anywhere else, such as from someone in Australia who uses Amazon lots then let me know). When you buy something after using one of those links then a few percent goes to me.

You don't pay anymore for things that you'd probably buy anyway, and I get to take money away from Amazon. Everyone's a winner!

If you are buying something from Amazon, please remember about this function on my site. I'd really appreciate it, cheers!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 24)
Usurper MrTeapot
post Apr 7 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #2

Samauri Teapain

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 844

You mentioned in the advertising thread about hits on adverts. As I search through Amazon quite a bit I was wondering if I use your link do you get anything for that or is that just wishful thinking?

But for buying books and music, will do.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Apr 7 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #3

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

See - you should have done this yesterday as I brought a spanking new webcam from Amazon.

*sigh* Suppose I'll just have to go back and shop some more. evil.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Apr 7 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Aww. Too bad you didn't do this 2 weeks ago. I just bought my textbooks from there. sad.gif But I will remember that this fall when I have to buy books again. smile.gif Although hmm I wonder if you still get money if it's from someone selling a used book on Amazon rather than a book Amazon is providing themselves, new?

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 7 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Apr 7 2005, 02:29 PM)
You mentioned in the advertising thread about hits on adverts. As I search through Amazon quite a bit I was wondering if I use your link do you get anything for that or is that just wishful thinking?

But for buying books and music, will do.

As far as I can tell, the session remains active for a day after you use the link to visit the site:

We keep track of the Associates ID as the customer browses through our Web site, and even if they close their browser and come back later that day.

So I'm guessing that you could browse for 23hours 59minutes before making your purchase then my site still gets the commision.

Well, that how I _think_ it works anyway! But yes, it seems fine for you to browse before buying, you don't need to have gone directly to purchasing straight from the search on my site.

EDIT: Damn! I've had the code to do this for a couple of weeks but not had the time and/or have forgotten when I did have the time to do it. Oh well...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Apr 7 2005, 02:57 PM
Post #6

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Ooh. Jedi mind powers. I was just looking at turgid MATLAB books earlier today so that I can actually be able to do my job.

They're flipping expensive like. And I'd echo Cand's question about second hand stuff - Amazon themselves take a percentage of those sales (quite a high one too, let me tell you as someone who offloads their old books on there). I wonder if they'll give part of that away.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 7 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #7

After a bit of Googling, I've seen on another that I do, but no confirmation on Amazon yet...

EDIT: I can't find anything in their T&C saying that they _don't_ so I suspect that I get the same rate for used and new.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Apr 7 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #8

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

I think this is pretty cool. It's right at the bottom of the page, so for the most part it's always hidden, plus I do a lot of shopping through Amazon, so this'll be pretty useful should I need it. I like em.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 7 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #9

There were some banners which would have been more prominent and eye-catching, but I'm trying to make these things annoy people as little as possible!

I don't know about other people, but I often use Amazon as a reference point too, so I hope it's quite handy as well as creating a bit of income for the site.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Apr 7 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #10

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

Eeeeyyy! I'm an Amazon whore, so I shall definitely be taking advantage of useful linkiness.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
markslut
post Apr 7 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #11

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 909

I would but I have my own (esp as I have about 10 days to find new hosting if demand for my site stays this high and the job not looking too rosy) which currently has paid 2GB's excess bandwidth

--------------------
The combined Nurse and Geisha of ISH!
IPB Image
Your Corset is Your Armour - Lace it Tightly - Breathing is Unimportant

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Apr 7 2005, 09:26 PM
Post #12

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I love having the search boxes at the bottom of the page. You think that it's the bottom, then suddenly there's more! I'm very easily amused. I buy lots of books from Amazon so all is good!

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Apr 7 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #13

I'm afraid I'm back.

Member No.: 1,308

I didn't realise how much I'd be annoyed by those banners... just looking at them makes me annoyed, but I don't have to scroll down to them! Isn't that just amazing?

Well, no, not really, but I don't have to be annoyed, so... err... I guess this calls for a 'yay'.

Also I do use amazon quite a lot. So, it's all 'yay'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 7 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #14

Markslut: Talk to my hosts, http://www.steadfastnetworks.com/ they're a huge amount cheaper than UK hosts, with a nice lot of bandwidth. I've got a custom package because I use so much, but their best off-the-shelf one is 80 for a year with 150GB per month transfer. Their hosting has been damn near rock solid too. They're one of the best hosts I've been with, and the price is great.

I_am_the_best: Glad you like them!

Jimi: sorry you don't like them!

These are about as unintrusive as I could make them. I didn't have to put them on the forums, but I figure that the amount of regulars on here mean that there's got to be people popping on and then going shopping. If I didn't have the links on the pages then it would be easy to forget about them being below the animations. I did try to work out how to have them in my sig, but it was refusing to let me do that.

I quite like them actually plus Sues is constantly asking me to check things on amazon while I'm browsing around on here, so this will make it nice and easy to do.

Sadly Jimi, if you find these intrusive then you really won't like the proper banners when they kick in. That's probably going to be in a couple of weeks time (I think). To get a decent amount per-click for the banners then they will have to be at the top of the page. The amazon thing I figure is actually quite handy, but it will take a lot of people spending money with amazon to make much of a difference at my end I think, so it's really just an idea to see how it goes and if people like them being there. I hope it will do well, but I'm not holding my breath!

When the real banners come in it will be best to think of them in terms of donating to my site. If everyone who visited my site everday clicked on a banner then I would get around 30,000 per month. That's a lot of people. Currently the donations are... Well, lets just say that there are a few individuals who have been doing more than their fair share! I certainly wouldn't want them to be taking the burden for everyone else, but in the end I do need to make money and banners are a good way to do it.

It's possible that I might get around 1% of visitors clicking, and that would be very useful in helping me pay the rent!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Apr 8 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #15

Samauri Teapain

To get my favourite webcomics to a better standing in the comic ranks I tended to go around all the computers in my IT room (scrambled ip numbers) and vote around 15-20 times each go.

Perhaps this tactic can be repeated for the Mata Money Drive. You'll be a millionaire in a week.

--------------------
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 8 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #16

That really would be lovely. *dreams of paying thousands of monkeys to randomly type until they produce my thesis for me*

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Apr 8 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #17

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

As I've said, I don't pay Mata's bills, so it isn't my call. However, I'd like to point out that their location is rather out-of-the-way and it's Amazon so chances are at least a few of us will actually use them.

If I ever want to buy anything from Amazon, I'll be sure to do it through here.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Apr 8 2005, 07:41 AM
Post #18

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

Well, I buy music via a portal to MNS on somone elses site, so I'll buy books and dvd's via the amazon portal here.
Doesn't bother me at all and if it helps then great!

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Apr 8 2005, 08:45 AM
Post #19

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Apr 7 2005, 04:46 PM)
Eeeeyyy! I'm an Amazon whore

So let me get this straight....

You've cut one breast off so it doesn't interfere with your archery, but you'll accept money for sex?

blink.gif

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Apr 8 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #20

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 8 2005, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Apr 7 2005, 04:46 PM)
Eeeeyyy! I'm an Amazon whore

So let me get this straight....

You've cut one breast off so it doesn't interfere with your archery, but you'll accept money for sex?

blink.gif

I thought that was for the swinging of the swords. *shrugs*

Anywho, the Amazon thing is fine. I don't have to pay the bills for this very large site, I don't have to look at it if I don't want to and it just seems like the most practical thing to do.

Also, I buy things from Amazon a few times a year...

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 8 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #21

Actually, the bills for the site have now been covered by some of the regulars on here in their donations over the last couple of months, for which I am very grateful. This is now to help me pay the rent and buy food! ... Actually, the tax year has just ended, so I need to find money to pay my accountant, so some money will be going towards that.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
markslut
post Apr 9 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #22

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 909

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 7 2005, 11:51 PM)
Markslut: Talk to my hosts, http://www.steadfastnetworks.com/ they're a huge amount cheaper than UK hosts, with a nice lot of bandwidth. I've got a custom package because I use so much, but their best off-the-shelf one is 80 for a year with 150GB per month transfer. Their hosting has been damn near rock solid too. They're one of the best hosts I've been with, and the price is great.

I am currently moving to Globat, 75GB transfer and 5GB space for $5 per month smile.gif

hopefully that will tide me over smile.gif

--------------------
The combined Nurse and Geisha of ISH!
IPB Image
Your Corset is Your Armour - Lace it Tightly - Breathing is Unimportant

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Apr 11 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #23

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

On an old website of mine I had an associates program with Amazon. I believe that the percentage commission you get varies on how that person made the purchase:

You get the highest % if you link to the exact item that they buy. A lot of sites have people going, "This CD is really cool... click here to buy it on Amazon." And should they do so, you get . Then, if they have searched for the item via your page, I believe you get a slightly lesser amount. Finally, if they link to Amazon via your page, you get the lowest amount.

You can also set up a recommendations page which you link to, upon which you push people in the direction of certain items. I believe this gives you a similar commission level as a direct item link.

As for second-hand items, sold through Amazon's ebay-esque private-sale system: I am fairly certain you don't get anything on this. Also, you dont receive a % on some Amazon items - I think this includes the electronics/hardware departments. Plus, if a buyer returns his/her item for a refund, your commission is taken back. There are some other bits and pieces too, which my memory fails to remember.

Essentially though, Mata... if you want to earn the highest %, you should set up a page where you recommend books, DVDs, CDs, etc. with links to their pages on Amazon.

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Apr 11 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #24

Samauri Teapain

Perhaps some of the recommendations in the Media threads could do the work for you. All this "best of" this and "greatest X to" that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 12 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #25

I've considered making a page like this just because I quite like the idea, but, from what I can tell from the literature, there's a standard rate that increases the more items I sell. It may be that they've simplified the system since then.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 08:19 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!