Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Azrael And Tigger, my two new cats
Little Green Got...
post Apr 10 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Only YOU can answer that question!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 384

A few weeks ago, I aquired two cats. Both have been skittish and we've hardly seen them except when chasing them to put them back in the cage. What's really funny is that Chris likes to pout and say in a childish voice "I wanna play with the kitties." happy.gif But that's usually after one of them has run away from him.

Currently, we are trying to get them to be unskittish to us. Anyone have some sugtions on what we could do? biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Apr 10 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #2

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Aww! So cute! You have to post pics soon!

When I did my work experience at a vets a few years ago we had someone come in with a similar problem, the advice the vet gave was to try putting toys near to where you are sitting and let them come up to you to get them, don't make any sudden movements just let them do what they want. If they are ok to play near you great, if not then keep doing it gradually moving the toys closer to you until they are eventually on you and when they are close enough just slowly and gently stroke them and let them know that you won't hurt them.
Eventually they should become less skittish, it's just a case of letting them get used to you and the environment so they know they are safe and loved.

Good luck!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Apr 10 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #3

My direction

Member No.: 495

I've had 5 kittens in the past 2 years, so I feel qualified to talk about this. happy.gif

The best thing to do is to sit still - read a book or watch TV quietly if you get bored. Then they will, eventually come to you and get used to you. And pet them when you feed them, also.

Post pics. That will make them less skittish biggrin.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Apr 10 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #4

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I agree with GA, posting pictures will make them less skittish *nods*

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Apr 10 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #5

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

Hang on a second, you put then in a CAGE?
I'm sorry but WTF is that about?

My cats get the full run of house and garden during the day, and downstairs at night cause I don't like being pounced on when sleeping.
They are very happy very friendly cats, I would never ever dream of putting them in a cage ever!

So, advice
Throw cage away.
Make sure they have a 'safe place' to go hide, mine had a old cat basket under a bed, safe and dark and warm.
But some ham or that cheap 'plastic' cheese spread - Primula in the uk.
Sit quietly on floor with bit of ham or smudge of spread on a saucer about 3 ft from you
Wait
Eventually they will come
Lure them with the ham or cheese moving it colser to you, they will associate you with good stuff, treats.
Then you can startto wriggle a bit of string for them to play with and eventually they will eat from your hand without grabing and running off or biting.

Mine know that I'm the one who feeds them, and if they are extra good they geta smidgen of cheese spread to lick off my fingers.
The come at my call or whistle and are not phased by any guests or visitors.

It took a bit of time, 6 months odd - I had them from 8 weeks old, but it works with adult cats, my mothers cat is an ancient rescue moggy and its taken him a yearto tame and trust.

If they associate you with being chased round and shoved in a cage they are never going to become so very affectionate as you are doing something they don't like.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Apr 11 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #6

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

Yes indeed a cage is bad.
try to seel off one room that you live in and have the cats in there when you're doing general stuff they get used to you eventually. also try to have one person taking most of the care of them that way they'll form the most bond with them.
Oh and the fact that you have two young cats at once will make them more feral cos they can just do cat things together rather than playing with you so it'll take more effort.

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Guest_uuu_*
post Apr 11 2005, 01:22 AM
Post #7

Guests

I've had cats all my life and though I've never consulted anyone on it what has always worked for me with the "skiittish cat" has been to be very gentle (they are probably scared) pet them when you see them, go out and find them and pet them, and put them back where they were. If a cat really wants to go let it go, They're pretty willful creatures and seem to turn neurotic if you treat them like babies (holding onto them too much or talking to them as if they were babies). I also agree with beleraphon, ditch the cage you could make them severly neurotic...And just to say there is nothing more annoying then a neurotic cat, and it is very, very, very sad to turn nature's au pere into a little nutcase.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Apr 11 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #8

My direction

Member No.: 495

Whoa, whoa, whoa... I don't know how old these kittens are, or what "cage" actually means here, but the breeder we got our cat from, along with many breeding books, recommends keeping them in a "cage" (like a quite large guinea pig run containing a few levels to climb on and a place to hide) when they are very little (until at least 10 weeks). It's simply not practical to have kittens running around the house at night where they could get hurt. We left ours in the cupboard under the stairs and the little area around it (padded with blankets and with a board across the entrance so mom could jump in and out), overnight. With very young kittens, if you're not around them, it's just common sense to make sure they can't escape and injure themselves or worse. And if you have a catflap you needn't think that other cats don't come into your house when you're away. We have 5 cats, and they are the dominant gang in our cat-heavy neighbourhood, we still get others coming in, so you can pretty much guarentee that if and when another cat does get in, your kittens could be bullied.

Without knowing the circumstances, I would say that, yes, when you are there, by all means the best place for them is to be allowed to run around, but on their own, if they are little, they need a safe place, and encouraging them to choose a safe place which is convenient for you is just sensible, really.

That said... LGG how big are the kittens?

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Little Green Got...
post Apr 12 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #9

And now for your viewing pleasure......Tigger!

I can't get Azrel to come out of hiding yet so that pic will have to wait. Untill then, enjoy this picture of greenish peas.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Little Green Got...
post May 17 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #10

Azrel

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Little Green Got...
post May 18 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #11

oh, and one more for the road.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post May 18 2005, 02:43 AM
Post #12

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

QUOTE (Little Green Goth @ Apr 12 2005, 06:15 PM)
And now for your viewing pleasure......Tigger!

I can't get Azrel to come out of hiding yet so that pic will have to wait. Untill then, enjoy this picture of greenish peas.

Hmmmm. All I can see is a bag of Carrots pretending to be a bag of peas....?????
None of the other pics are even loading...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Little Green Got...
post May 18 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #13

Ok, all fixed. I had moved the pics to a differant subfolder. Which is why they weren't showing.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post May 19 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #14

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

Might just be me, but that's an awfully long tail tongue.gif

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post May 19 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #15

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

My cats used to be skittish. These days they have the audacity jump on my head at three in the morning. (grr) Then I chase them with a plastic sword I got at a dollar store, though this hasn't proved to be as good a deterrant as you'd think.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:20 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!