IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Confidentiality, No, it's not an Issue... I hope...
{Gothic Angel}
post Apr 11 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #1

My direction

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 495

Some of us lucky people in the lower 6th had the fortune to attend a course in Mediation at school, and are now planning to set up an in-school mediation service next year. For those of you unfamiliar with with mediation, it is a service where people can come to discuss their problems on a neutral territory. In part, this may also end up being a councelling service, although the main purpose of the mediators (us) is to sit and listen, and prompt the conversation if it dies. We don't solve problems, we just help them find their own solution.

So, we need to propose this to our head of year and head teacher, as we need places and times and things, and as I seem to be the most articulate among us, I get the dubious honour of writing up this proposal, part of which includes a "training pack" - a list of all the things potential and future mediators will need to know (we plan to leave the service running after we leave, training new people to carry it on). Most of this, I'm finding quite easy to write up from my course notes, but a lot of the stuff we did on confidentiality - which is clearly one of the most important things for us - was a list of standard rules with a few opinions thrown in, and therefore not hugely helpful.

So, after that nice long ramble, I would appreciate some input on it, if anyone has the time. smile.gif

Confidentiality

This is, obviously, one of the most important things about mediation. Things confided to you must be kept inside the room. Don’t even tell other mediators – the person you are trying to help has to be able to trust you, not them. There will obviously be some cases where we will need to break confidentiality, but in general, we DO NOT BREAK IT.
If we do not feel it necessary to break confidentiality, but still feel that the person may need help, there is a list of numbers at the end of the pack which are anonymous which the person can call.

When to break confidentiality:

• Child abuse. (This should be taken to Mrs Croft as soon as possible- See next page.)
• If the law is being broken.
• If the person is being hurt or hurting someone else against their will.
• If there is evidence of any form of abuse. (But don’t assume this unless you have evidence, or you have been specifically told.)
• If a life is being threatened.
• Hard drug use.

These are just examples, not a definitive list. In a school environment, there will be a certain amount of using your own discretion. It is important to think about each case individually – a 16-year-old smoking pot is a lot different from a 14-year-old addicted to crack. (Ok, I realise that’s pretty obvious, but case in point, you need to use your head.) If you do feel that it is necessary to break confidentiality, the person to speak to is Mrs Croft, or failing that, your head of house. The person whose confidentiality you are breaking must also be told.
In all cases it is important to LISTEN to the person, not make assumptions.
In some extreme cases, for example, child abuse, the case may be moved to Social Services. In these cases, it is out of our hands. However much sympathy you may feel, we have to be able to accept that we cannot help them anymore than SS can. Try to feel proud that you helped to end what was happening.
Of course, most of the cases we deal with won’t be nearly that serious, but we need to bear these things in mind when we start the course. In the unlikely event that you do find yourself on a case you can’t deal with, speak first to your partner on the case. Please don’t just leave a case without warning, or stop turning up to the sessions. The trust you build up with the people you help is important, if you suddenly disappear they might feel abandoned, hurt or even like their problem isn’t important. It is perfectly possible to sort things out without leaving the case.
A final note- always remember that we only keep a copy of the final agreement – signed by both people, and dated – in our records. We do not keep any of the case notes or any other information. Once the agreement is made, that shouldn’t be important anymore anyway smile.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Apr 11 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #2

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Apr 11 2005, 01:26 PM)
•  If the law is being broken.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't include this one. It depends on the circumstances but in some cases, eg. underage smoking/drinking, soft drug use. I would have thought it wouldn't be a good idea to involve the law, which is what would happen. If they aren't hurting anyone other than themselves, then let them be.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 11 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Apr 11 2005, 12:26 PM)
•  If there is evidence of any form of abuse. (But don’t assume this unless you have evidence, or you have been specifically told.)

Does that include self-harm? You might that a lot of people coming to you have engaged in this at some level. Most of it isn't done with any intention of suicide, that is something very different. It's something that needs to be addressed, obviously, but bringing in outside influences for this may undermine the purpose of the counselling.

I would strongly advise you to talk to some form of legal advisor for your school if I were you. Even passive counselling (encouraging conversation) could put you in some liability if a client were to act irrationally at a later point.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Apr 11 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

I don't think they are counselling. I think the point of the exercise is to learn mediation. The difference is there I think. Confidentiality is very important in both though.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Apr 11 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #5

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

I agree with CM that the rule about legality ought not be included. All the really worrying things are already covered under the other rules, as far as I can see.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Apr 11 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #6

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I believe that if you are a professional counceller and you have nothing in the contract saying otherwise then the only 2 clauses are:

If they know about/have plans for an act of terrorism

They want to harm the queen

How crazy is that?

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Apr 11 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #7

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

I agree with the thing about the law. Lets face it the most obvious thing that you guys are going to hear about is underage sex. 15 year olds will be coming to you guys to talk about that one. If you are going by the letter of the law then you would have to report this one and I don't think people would use your mediating services if they knew you would tell people about things like sex, smoking, drinking etc

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Apr 11 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #8

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Isn't there a bit about the person being a real danger to either themselves or others?

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Apr 11 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #9

My direction

Hmm... I put the legality thing in there because I was told to by the mediators. The part about using your discretion, I think, should cover that, along with the training (they will be trained, they wont jut be handed this pack and left to get on with it, don't worry tongue.gif). I don't think any of the mediators are going to complain too hard about underage smoking/drinking/sex. I'm guilty of the underage drinking, myself... bleh. I'll talk to Mrs Croft about it. We did go through this stuff with her beforehand but she just said to write up a draft and she'd look later, helpfully. rolleyes.gif

There is actually a list of things which shouldnt break confidentiality, including willing underage sex, and soft drug use. Unfortunately, that particular session was extremely vague, hence my coming here.

The other thing - Self harm, I hope, won't be an issue. As Ashbless says, we're there to mediate not counsel, although I realise there will be some level of teenage whining. This is about getting them to solve their problems with other people on their own, and I sort of feel like selfharm comes from you, not them, except in some extreme cases. It did for me, though I realise there may be other cases also.

Faeryrin - No, they won't be talking to us about underage sex, unless the issue is that it has impacted on their relationship. We are not a counselling service, I can't stress that enough. There's one being run by people who did the course, but not by us smile.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Apr 11 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #10

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Isn't there a bit about the person being a real danger to either themselves or others?

Yeah, this is one I've heard a lot, and sometimes it's been defined as one of the few parameters put on what would be told... I think it's standard.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 12 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #11

This isn't really something I've heard of before; what's the difference between mediation and non-directive counselling?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Apr 13 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #12

My direction

Bleh... I don't really know much about councelling having never been on the giving or receiving end of it, but as I understand it, the purpose of "non-directive councelling" would be to be a sympathetic ear, and some support in a hard time, to talk through problems and offer the person solutions. Mediation is obviously sympathetic, but we don't judge who is right (even if one person obviously is in the right), and we don't offer solutions unless they come up with it themselves. We do the equvilent of taking notes while they discuss it out.

Personally, I have it in my head as if you go to a girl friend with a problem, you get councelling. If you go to a guy friend you get mediation tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 13 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #13

Non-directive counselling means precisely that, they don't give you, and they don't present solutions either, which is why I was unsure what the difference is!

Oh, and men are the gender that has the attitude that they need to fix everything that's broken, so you're probably more likely to get solutions offered from men, usually whether you want them or not! 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus' may be annoying and responsbile for gross stereotyping of the genders, but at least the stereotypes are accurate ones...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Apr 14 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #14

My direction

Damn... I picked the wrong guy friends...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:29 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!