Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggest A Holiday For Polocrunch, OR 'Make My Decisions For Me'
Polocrunch
post Apr 11 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 505

So I've basically got nothing planned for this summer, which'll be extra long because I am finishing secondary school. Therefore I have the entirety of July, August and September free. Currently only the first week of July has been decided (and even that's not firm) and there's a vague possibility that I might go to Amsterdam for a couple of days. Other than that, I have no idea how to spend this summer. Should I work, should I travel the world? If I can't find anyone who can afford to come with me, should I go it alone, stay at home or find a company that organises group travel or camps abroad?

So suggest things for me to do; I'm at a complete loss. Time and money aren't really constraints (although I won't be able to afford to hire a Carribean island for a month, or spend six weeks in a first-class hotel in downtown New York, unsurprisingly), but I'm hoping to do a fair bit of travelling, visit some new locations and maybe do something resembling work. I don't really care for huge amounts of luxury, so no need to suggest things like cruises (or that six weeks in New York tongue.gif).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Apr 11 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #2

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I'm inclined to say go travelling. I never did that after school and ended up going to work instead so it never ended up happening. My only regret.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Apr 11 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #3

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

go to Venice before it sinks, its the most beautiful and unique city

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Apr 11 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #4

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

If you can travel...hey, do it. Me, I'm a Thoreau-y pitch a tent in the woods during the summer and do spray can battle with the buggies for a month type, but I am so very bereft of funds that sleeping on the ground in a forest with a broken flashlight is very exotic. So my example's not a very good one. Were I you, I'd go wherever you can afford/have time for. Might as well enjoy yourself; you have the rest of your life to work and loll around the house.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Apr 11 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #5

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

QUOTE (beleraphon @ Apr 11 2005, 09:07 PM)
go to Venice before it sinks, its the most beautiful and unique city

Ahem. Venice == very nice. Take lots of spending money. There is too much stuff to buy there. However, if you do, try to go when it's not the summer holidays for most people. I imagine it's much better when it's not full of tourists.

Edit: If you're going to Amsterdam, you might want to continue and just go sightseeing in Europe in general. It's travelling, and since it's close (comparitively) to home, you could just decide where to go on the spot. Impromptu travelling. Voila.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Apr 11 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Apr 11 2005, 09:13 PM)
Edit: If you're going to Amsterdam, you might want to continue and just go sightseeing in Europe in general. It's travelling, and since it's close (comparitively) to home, you could just decide where to go on the spot. Impromptu travelling. Voila.

Yep, that crossed my mind. I'd like to see Germany again because I haven't been since I was a kid, and France and the Low Countries are always fun. Trouble is, I'm not so keen about doing these things on my own - a lot of the fun of travelling is the people you go with. Otherwise I might end up spending my evenings all alone. Is there a way to solve that problem?

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Apr 11 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #7

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

If money's not a problem - TAKE ME!!!

I'm really good compnay, mouthy therefore socail and I promise I'll stick next to you.

laugh.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
saucy_tara
post Apr 11 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #8

Destructogirl...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 124

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 11 2005, 09:36 PM)
a lot of the fun of travelling is the people you go with. Otherwise I might end up spending my evenings all alone. Is there a way to solve that problem?

Have you ever seen the film Kalifornia?
\spam

Nah, seriously, there must be some sort of "travel club" for people who want to go travelling..have you done a net search?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Apr 11 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #9

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 11 2005, 09:36 PM)
Yep, that crossed my mind. I'd like to see Germany again because I haven't been since I was a kid, and France and the Low Countries are always fun. Trouble is, I'm not so keen about doing these things on my own - a lot of the fun of travelling is the people you go with. Otherwise I might end up spending my evenings all alone. Is there a way to solve that problem?

Clubs 'n' Pubs. If that's your thing.

If you're trying to avoid spending evenings alone, you might want to try and shift your waking hours a bit, that way, you get up nice and early, get to see the dawn all over Europe, plus after you've eaten in the evening, you can just go to bed. Not entirely sure about you, I'm just going on things that would suit me.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Diziet Sma
post Apr 11 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #10

That's 'Sir Guppy' to you

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,741

What ever you do, don't work, you'll spend the next 60 years doing that. Do something that you will never do again before you get an over-developed sense of responsibility. (something I was unfortunately afflicted with at too young an age)
I worked straight from school and before I new it I was shackled(financially) by my own lifestyle. Sure I pubbed, clubbed and generally had a good time, but didn't really do anything worth-while. I can't look back and reminice about swimming with dolphins, or travelling from Sydney to Perth. Or back-packing across India. Or working on a Kibbutz in Israel.
Now I have a job with a pension package to good to give up, a mortgage to pay, a daughter to look after. All good things to have (especially my daughter) but no rare memories, only the same ones as everyone else.

Invest in your memories and invest in them now.

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Apr 11 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #11

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

Definately travel, and if you can, go and see Italy, esp. Florence. There's so much beauty and so much history to be seen there.

You're quite lucky, as I'll probably not get the chance to travel like that.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Apr 12 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #12

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

I say go travelling. If you're alone stay in hostels and you can meet alot of people that way. That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm going to be by myself (which my parents hate) but I've been told that if you stay in hostels you can meet up with other people who're probably the same age as you and want to do the same things as you. As long as you don't mind wearing ear plugs for sleeping and locking up your bags, hostels are a great choice. *nods* Go travelling Polo!

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 12 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #13

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As far as I know, people tend to hitch up with friends they make while travelling around, so you find company by staying in youth hostels and chatting to people. Take a paperback with you to pass the time though, there will be a lot of time between places!

I'd suggest hitting America at some point. It's a very interesting country, and the exchange rate is the most in our favour that is has been for... well, pretty much it's the best it's ever been for us. You could do a tour of US Matazone homes (if people will have you)!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Apr 12 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Jaq @ Apr 12 2005, 12:03 AM)
I say go travelling. If you're alone stay in hostels and you can meet alot of people that way.  That's what I'm planning on doing.  I'm going to be by myself (which my parents hate) but I've been told that if you stay in hostels you can meet up with other people who're probably the same age as you and want to do the same things as you.  As long as you don't mind wearing ear plugs for sleeping and locking up your bags, hostels are a great choice.  *nods*  Go travelling Polo!

My biggest fear has always been that I'd be lonely and bored on my own. That goes some way to allaying that fear. Have you done it before, though, where, and are you a particularly social person? I'm pretty retiring normally if I don't have any alcohol in me.

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Apr 12 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #15

Took this grammar!

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 12 2005, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Jaq @ Apr 12 2005, 12:03 AM)
I say go travelling. If you're alone stay in hostels and you can meet alot of people that way.  That's what I'm planning on doing.  I'm going to be by myself (which my parents hate) but I've been told that if you stay in hostels you can meet up with other people who're probably the same age as you and want to do the same things as you.  As long as you don't mind wearing ear plugs for sleeping and locking up your bags, hostels are a great choice.  *nods*  Go travelling Polo!

My biggest fear has always been that I'd be lonely and bored on my own. That goes some way to allaying that fear. Have you done it before, though, where, and are you a particularly social person? I'm pretty retiring normally if I don't have any alcohol in me.

Nope, haven't done it before and I'm a somewhat retiring person as well. But I don't really mind being on my own. If I can't find someone to hang out with that I like, then I'm perfectly happy being by myself. Hey, we could always go together!

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Apr 12 2005, 03:00 AM
Post #16

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

Buy a motorcycle and drive across the US over the summer.

Ok that's what I want to do but with me money is an issue. laugh.gif

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Apr 12 2005, 09:17 AM
Post #17

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

It ain't cheap, but pack a tent, and head off to a drop zone somewhere in the country, and spend a few weeks learning to skydive.

It'll simultaneously be the scariest and best thing you've ever done.

And lonliness isn't a problem - skydivers are a lovely welcoming bunch of people.

If money really isn't a problem, go do the same thing in Arizona or Spain, where the weather's much more reliable.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Apr 12 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (Jaq @ Apr 12 2005, 12:25 AM)
Nope, haven't done it before and I'm a somewhat retiring person as well.  But I don't really mind being on my own.  If I can't find someone to hang out with that I like, then I'm perfectly happy being by myself.  Hey, we could always go together!

How do I know you don't smell funny? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Apr 12 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 12 2005, 12:05 AM)
I'd suggest hitting America at some point. It's a very interesting country, and the exchange rate is the most in our favour that is has been for... well, pretty much it's the best it's ever been for us. You could do a tour of US Matazone homes (if people will have you)!

I'd love to visit America, but I want to wait until I'm a bit older for that - mostly so that I can actually drink when I get there. I'd also really like to bum about with some friends, rather than go it alone, unlike in Europe where I'd feel more confident without back-up.

QUOTE (LoLo @ Apr 12 2005, 03:00 AM)
Buy a motorcycle and drive across the US over the summer.

Did you see The Motorcycle Diaries? Omg, after that film I had the biggest romantic urge to buy a crappy old motorcycle, grab a friend and drive around Europe for six months. Something like that would be totally amazing, but first I'd need to figure out how to drive a motorcycle, and how to repair it too. I'd also need more time than I have right now, so it'd have to wait until after uni.

QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 12 2005, 09:17 AM)
It ain't cheap, but pack a tent, and head off to a drop zone somewhere in the country, and spend a few weeks learning to skydive.

biggrin.gif I'd love to do some skydiving or parachuting, but I hear you can do it at weekends and stuff during uni, so I'll leave something like that till later. Fab suggestion though!

+Quote Post
Pab
post Apr 12 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #20

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Regarding not being so hot on the idea of going it alone: I'd say that, in a way, to go and do exactly that for a spell would in itself be a nice little challenge, and could be a wildly enriching experience. You _will_ meet people cos anywhere you could go that sounds nice is going to be riddled with individuals or very small groups in the same situation, and the open road is brilliant for bonding*. You could even fit it in as a quick test-trip. A couple of weeks bumming around western Europe could easily be achieved and even given up on without screwing the rest of your time off. Plus in 2 weeks or so you can do the Netherlands, Germany, France, Italy and Spain, where you could end up on a beach in Sitges selling your body for fun and profit. The fact that the first and last countries both exude soft drugs is only a minor hindrance.

Tell me it isnt so ....

*avoid undetectably psychotic individuals, and those who are at the end of their budget and have worked out that the only way to continue on their way is to sponge of any dumb-fluck who'll buy'em a bevvy ... they are out there ...

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Apr 12 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #21

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

Pretty much what everyone else said Tavel. A few of my friends have gone wandering round europe and enjoyed it completely. (I couldn't afford it at the time). If your worryied about meeting people and are staying in hostels take an unusual but easily portable hobby sitting in the common room making chain mail tends to atract attention.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Apr 13 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #22

Took this grammar!

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 12 2005, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (Jaq @ Apr 12 2005, 12:25 AM)
Nope, haven't done it before and I'm a somewhat retiring person as well.  But I don't really mind being on my own.  If I can't find someone to hang out with that I like, then I'm perfectly happy being by myself.  Hey, we could always go together!

How do I know you don't smell funny? tongue.gif

I swear, that smell is just from the bodies and when I'm in Europe you won't be anywhere near my stash! Don't worry Polo! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Apr 13 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #23

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 12 2005, 04:09 AM)
I'd love to visit America, but I want to wait until I'm a bit older for that - mostly so that I can actually drink when I get there. I'd also really like to bum about with some friends, rather than go it alone, unlike in Europe where I'd feel more confident without back-up.

Come to Canada. The exchange rate is even better and the drinking age is a bit lower 19 as opposed to 21. I imagine some floor space could be found. smile.gif
The Calgary Stampede is in July sometime and I'd love an excuse to take time off work and go. laugh.gif

You don't smell funny, do you? tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Apr 14 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #24

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

Sicily! If you go to Italy, visit Sicily, prefferably Syracuse, and then tell me every minute detail, every attratcive Italian man you come across, everything you purchased --- orrr . . come to Las Vegasss! What's in Las Vegas, you say? Well. Moi! *keff* Hey, I'd hang out with you, and there's an abundance of things to do here. biggrin.gif

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 02:51 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!