Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creative Block, ...oh...please help
a_line_in_your_b...
post Apr 14 2005, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,486

I know i haven't posted on here in ages, or even much at all in the first place, but i remembered what a bright bunch of people you all are and thought i'd put a question to you just to see if i got any kind of positive response.
How do you rid yourself of a creative block?
Usually, i adore writing, but for about the past 2 and a half months i've been entirely unable to write at length even if the subject is something i'm particularly interested in. Now normally this wouldn't be a problem (not that it's ever happened before), i'd just sit it out and wait for my writing and creativity to flow back (if that's how it works), but i've got my AS Level exams starting in 6 weeks and i'm scared to death that i still won't be writing properly by then and i'll do really badly.
Some people say that the block is because i've fallen in love recently, which i know sounds cheesy and cliched, but is possibly true. However, i've tried asking my boyfriend to stop texting and phoning me for a while to see if i can get any work done, but i just end up getting sad that i'm not talking to him.
Please help. sad.gif
XxXxX

--------------------
"I rule!" -Kevin Spacey, American Beauty

XxX
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Apr 14 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #2

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

What I do is take a notebook and a Biro and go to a coffeeshop. Plus caffeine, minus distractions. Usually works for me.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Apr 14 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #3

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,105

What Commie said. I'd also recomend taking a walk or studying people, should you want to be writing fiction.

That said, doesn't love normally inspire one to create?

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Apr 14 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #4

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

Quite recently I started writing again after a really long (around 4 years) gap where I wrote nothing. What started me off was having to plan a lesson where I was helping other sto write. I drafted a plan for a story that would allow them to see how a story is planned and HEY PRESTO!! I started writing again! The plan was for a good, if not very short little story which I haven't finished yet, but I intend to (on creations if you're interested) Perhaps brainstorming with a friend or giving someone else ideas might help you to start having ideas of your own? That said Coffee shop and note book is always a winner.

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Apr 14 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #5

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

Also a little pressure on yourself to write can create some quite stonking stuff but too much pressure can hinder creativity. Try to relax about this issue, especially with the AS Levels (note: don't relax too much about them), have a walk and take the time out to think naturally.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 14 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Whenever I've sat down in an exam situation and needed to write (which is the antithesis of a good environment for writing in if you ask me...) I've always done this:

Read the questions carefully

Have a sip of water

Breathe slowly, re-read the questions

Choose which questions to work on and make a note of how long you should spend per question (obviously only do this for exams with only two or three questions)

I then do a quick sketch at the top of my first page of what ideas I have and roughly how they relate to eachother

Once I've got down around ten ideas I then number them in the order that I want to write about them

I then write a very short introduction paragraph that summarises the overall aim of my essay

I then move on to the first of my points. I make sure that I don't write more than a paragraph or two about it then I write a link sentence to the next point

Because I've already arranged my points into an order that flows logically before I even begin to write the essay, when it comes to writing, if I get stuck and find I have far less to say about a point that I thought I can easily round it up and move fluidly onto the next idea. The essay moves along nicely and almost writes itself!

You might like to have a look into the idea of mind-mapping. I use a stripped down version of it to organise my ideas in exams and I've always found this very effective for me. I suspect that you could probably apply it to creative writing too!

http://www.jcu.edu.au/studying/services/st...dmap/howto.html

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Apr 14 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #7

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I personally find that when I'm not feeling creative, I like to listen to music and it helps me feel relaxed and then ideas just come to my head. Also, if you dream or day dream then I find that that helps too. I'm not too sure, I'm not exactly and expert on these things, but I hope it helps!

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Apr 14 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #8

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

I posted this earlier, but something got screwed up and it was lost - so I'll have another go.

I'll suggest to you something that I tried, to get out of that creative block and lack of inspiration/ideas. It worked for me, perhaps it will work for you.

Every day, I forced myself to sit down at some point and write (well... type) one thousands words. It didn't matter whether this was fiction, non-fiction, thought-provoking, dull, etc. It was just words with some sort of theme/plot/reason behind it.

You see, it didn't matter if I had a complete lack of ideas - I still wrote. I just wrote about the lack of ideas, or what I did today, or what is in the room around me. Just something. And it didn't have to be good either. It just had to be writing... and one thousand words of it.

What eventually happened is that, as I typed away each day, an odd idea would form out of the process. Just something would come up in what I was writing, that would remind me of something. And this would help with the next 1000 words the following day. Soon, I was writing about things I would never have dreamed of writing before.

Give it a try... it might work for you. Just be strict about it... make sure you do it everyday. If I ever was unable to because of some appointment/engagement, I would make myself do 2000 the next day, to make up for it. Your mind soon catches on to what you are doing, and gets itself into the right state for writing.

+Quote Post
a_line_in_your_b...
post Apr 16 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,486

Crikey.
You guys give really diverse and original help, so thank you all so much for that. All of your advice is of the super-helpful variety and i'm pleased to inform you that last night at about 11 o clock i suddenly felt the urge to start writing again. To be honest, i don't really know why this happened although i have the feeling it might be something to do with realising that in about 17 months i'll be trying to get work placements in London, largely in film journalism.
For the future if ever i get stuck for a while, i think that trying some, or perhaps all of the above mentioned methods, would aid me a great deal. Hobbes- I'm not sure if i would be diciplined enough to write 1000 words every day, but if anything could make me a more fluent and natural writer, i'm sure that would be it, so thank you and i'll give that a try starting from tomorrow.
PsychWardMike...i know love is usually supposed to inspire, but it's just so consuming that i'd end up writing absolute crap that would basically say "I looove him" the whole way through. Have you seen Big Fish? Kinda like Steve Buscemi's poet character in that. He writes something like "The sky is so blue, the grass is so green, Spectre is really great" in 12 years because he's so in love with the town he's moved to that he's lost for words almost. An odd analogy for you there, but yes, it's very much like that.
Thank you all SO much once again...i seriously never anticipated such helpful and thorough feedback. smile.gif
XxXxX

--------------------
"I rule!" -Kevin Spacey, American Beauty

XxX

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Apr 16 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #10

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

I'm glad we could be of help. Hope the inspiration proves to be... uhh... inspiring biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 09:37 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!