Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Critique
Greeneyes
post Apr 17 2005, 05:49 PM
Post #1

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,102

I was going to post this in another thread, but it happens elsewhere, so I thought I'd make a new thing.

Can I make a suggestion? It seems that there is often disagreement about what people would like in reply to their posted creations, generally about written ones (e.g. poems). Some people like critique, some just like opinions. Would it be too much effort to make a small note at the top of a post, just to prevent misunderstanding and hurt feelings? Or even better, if there were post icons for this purpose (I'm not sure if this is possible or how difficult it is to do). That way there would be no misunderstanding, and all it would take is the click of a mouse. Comments?

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Apr 17 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #2

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

I think it's rather hard to separate critique from comments in poetry, so I'd like to propose another idea.

How about when you post a poem, expect for others to give constructive criticism, and to always remember the fact that you don't have to do what people ask you to do, but it would be nice to at least consider the possibility that change might work out.

When you post your work up for others to see, you have to expect a level of judgement -and anyone judging with work here should expect the same level of judgement. Anyone whose work I critique is welcome to do the same to mine.

There's a reason why The Other Side is mature readers only. You have to have a bit of maturity when posting and when people respond to those posts.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Apr 18 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #3

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

I think there might be somewhat of a difference between comments and criticism. Some people are just looking for encouragement, or are writing on a personal topic and are looking for others who might relate to or understand what they're feeling. Others are genuinely trying to become good poets and welcome criticism to help themselves improve through recognizing one's strengths and weaknesses.

I second Greeneyes - mark the top of your poems/submissions either "Critiques Welcomed" or "Comments Only" to prevent further misunderstandings.

I'm pinning this, because I'd like people to abide by it.

EDIT: I suppose that people that do not mark their stuff for criticism or comments will just have to deal with whatever they get, and not complain about it. Also, anyone who disrespects the "no criticism" rule in comment-only threads will get a personal warning from me.

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Apr 18 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

No offence but this seems very much like don'texpressanopinionunlessit'sthesameasmine kind of rule

*just my opinion*

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Apr 18 2005, 09:11 AM
Post #5

Obliterates Everything He Kisses

Member No.: 633

DLCP - I get what you are saying about people only wanting an opinion the same as their own: but I have to agree with MissyA. If you are putting up work (poetry or otherwise) then you *should* expect a certain amount of comment or criticism. If you put at the top of the post that you don't want any critique on your style or form then your wishes should be repected.

Just because a poem doesn't conform to societal conception of 'poetry' doesn't detract from its poetic value. Poetry can be *technically* bad but never poetically bad - all that emotive expression.

If you feel (not just you DLCP) you can't offer an opinion without throwing in something about a return key addiction or a lack of punctuation then it's probably best not to comment. The writer will let you know - if they adhere to the new thing involving 'Critique Welcome' or 'Comments Only' - what they expect in the way of feedback.

Just my view... ph34r.gif

Fal xXx

--------------------
The bookworm - bellydancing tart of Snuggles Harem
Fallen World
I have done it again. One year in every ten I manage it. . .

+Quote Post
dancing hamster ...
post Apr 18 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #6

Our UAV is online

Member No.: 1,304

QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Apr 18 2005, 09:04 AM)
No offence but this seems very much like don'texpressanopinionunlessit'sthesameasmine kind of rule

*just my opinion*

For once I agree with you!

As much as you can say otherwise that statement is true throughout the whole forum - in fact I've had 2 warnings for disagreeing with people.

And why? because they can't take another persons view.

People here are happy to recieve praise but turn the other cheek when it comes to critisicm.

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Apr 18 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #7

Obliterates Everything He Kisses

Member No.: 633

I'm not afraid of criticism and I don't think the comment you made is particularly fair - it is criticism in itself. Fair enough - sometimes the criticism recieved here can stray away from the path of being constructive - but that is the way of criticism. I'd happily put my work up and would openly welcome criticism as long as it was constructive. I don't let other peoples view of my work put me off writing and I don't throw down the pen and proclaim to be finished with writing forever because of one bad review... If people did that then there would be no writing.

You cannot have your work truly appreciated if there is nothing negative to compare it with. Would the people on the forum rather their work was praised purely because people were afraid of 'hurting peoples feelings'? I'd rather that people were honest about my work - at least then you can see the true merit of your efforts.

If people are so fragile that to have someone offer ways in which their work could be improved then they shouldn't really be offering it up - especially knowing the critical climate in the Creations forum... I'm not saying that people shouldn't post - they should just post and be aware of what could happen. After all: this is all about personal opinions - some people think they are good writers and some people don't. If you think you are a good writer then surely having a little criticism doesn't matter. If you think you are a 'bad' writer the criticism you recieve can offer you a way to make things 'better'...

I don't want to step on any toes, fingers or other body parts with this but it's my opinion.

Like I said: it's all about personal opinions...

Fal xXx

--------------------
The bookworm - bellydancing tart of Snuggles Harem
Fallen World
I have done it again. One year in every ten I manage it. . .

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Apr 18 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #8

Don't I feel flattered.

I've seen this very same thing on other forums only with pictures, and I can't tell you how much it pisses me off that people will ot give an opinion that isn't strait out nice not even in the way of constructive critisism with the result being 4 pages of people commenting on the only good feature a person may have eg you have nice eyes, what nice eyes you've got, i love your eye makeup for 80 replys rather than saying you look mostly good but the way you wear that foundation make your upper lip look VERY hairy.

It's feeling that at a point it's only right to say something not nice if it's honest and well worded.
But I have been banned from more than one board for my opinions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Apr 18 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #9

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

I think you're misunderstanding the point, DLCP. The rule is not in place to protect any of our poets' fragile egos. The rule is in place so that people who come into this forum to critique poetry don't have to worry about their constructive criticism being taken as personal insults by poets with fragile egos.

Personally I'm tired of some of our poets yelling at other people who are truly trying to help just because they can't take criticism gracefully. The idea with this rule is to make those poets responsible for the kinds of comments they receive so they can no longer yell at others.

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Apr 18 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #10

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

I think it's moreso how you give your criticism, rather than what you're saying.

Obviously if you're abrasive about your review of their work, then they're going to react negitively. It's all about tact.

And I'm all for constructive criticism, it's how we learn, just not attacking constructive criticism.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 22 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #11

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (dancing hamster guy @ Apr 18 2005, 10:33 AM)

As much as you can say otherwise that statement is true throughout the whole forum - in fact I've had 2 warnings for disagreeing with people.

That's not why you had warnings. If you are in confusion as to why you had warnings then you should PM me about it and I will explain to you. Again. You had warnings for saying things like 'for once I agree with you' as if this is something that the other person should be proud of.

And that, fortunately, is a perfect demonstration of my views here. As Trunks Girl says, it's all about the way you express things. DHG, you're probably thinking 'Oh there he goes again, thinking I'm being serious when I'm only joking' but bear this in mind, there is a huge difference between 'for once I agree with you' and 'I agree with you completely'. You don't have to say the first when the second will be perfectly adequate. You don't need to insult people just because you can. The first phrasing suggests that, as well as agreement with the opinion, that you are also usually approaching that user's comments with the feeling that you are going to disagree (and possibly disregard) their post, the latter retains the positive aspects but doesn't have the slap-in-the-face feel. Given DCLP's response, it's clear that the negative aspects of your phrasing had greater impact than the supportive intention. This is also something to bear in mind. A little praise with a little insult does not even itself out. Sadly, we all have fragile egos for some things, and criticism will nearly always be more prominent in our minds than praise, just ask an actor what they're thinking about when they go to bed; the nineteen rave reviews or the one negative one.

Don't give damning praise to people. There is a narrow borderline between critique and opinion, and I'm really not sure that everyone is going to excell at judging where it lies. In this instance, DHG was expressing an opinion of agreement, but simultaneously was making a comment about DCLP's other posts. In the same way, saying something like 'that's great, for a teen goth poem' could easily be seen as offensive, even if it is meant in a nice way.

I'm do like the idea of indicating your desired feedback (I thought I'd better emphasise that because this has all sounded negative so far, and I didn't want people to get the wrong impression): I think that it would definitely be useful if people could give a little note about what sort of response they would like, but I'm also cautious that it might start arguments about whether feedback was critique, comment, or opinion!

Sometimes people post things just to express themselves. I know I've written some real dross in my time. It doesn't mean that I expect anyone else to think it's great, the important thing is sometimes to just get it out in the open. I think it's hard when you're writing like that to really expect anyone to not understand what you mean, because the words are so intensely personal. Equally, even slight criticism (constructive or otherwise) plays up to the greatest fear of many people who write in that way: being misunderstood.

All art, and I think poetry in particular (because it is often the easiest for people to approach, requiring, as it does, the most easily available materials) is always going to cause problems. We're not all great artists, in fact there's probably only a handful of artists on the planet right now whose work will still mean anything in 100 years time, but that doesn't stop us from wanting to express ourselves through art and hope that someone else likes it.

I think that this might be where the border lies then: a poet is a person who wishes to explore their craft and hone their skills, but everyone has the desire to express themselves in one way or another, and so not all poetry is written by poets. That might mean that it lacks technical skill, but more importantly for us this also means that we cannot judge one group on the standards of the other and expect the creator to be accepting of our categorisation.

EDIT: While writing in this thread:

http://www.matazone.co.uk/forums/index.php...pic=12614&st=25

I've come up with what I think might be an additional suggestion. If people are going to over criticism then they should politely ask if the writer would like to have feedback of that sort on their poem. That way a person can at least steel themselves a little rather than having what appears to be a blunt dismissive incomprehension of their intentions.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
dancing hamster ...
post Apr 22 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #12

Our UAV is online

Yawn

I would write a long winded response in reply but frankly I don't give a damn!

Oh and before you write an answer to this saying how you think this might be "offensive", read the sig, bud!

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Apr 22 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #13

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Hey. That's my sig. Give it back.

And give respect to Mata. He's trying to keep this board a generally nice place.

That said, I believe that criticismin all forms is essential to the writing process. I agree that creation is an inherently good thing (one of, as I'm finding, the things humans can do to emulate and thus be closer to God!) However, I believe that if someone cares enough to write a poem and post it on the internet, they should not only accept but EXPECT criticism. I don't mean the harsh form of criticism that I'm... notorious for giving, but a simple critique, some opinions. All that jazz.

I'm sorry if I offend people, but I'm honestly trying to help and I think that they should be happy with someone caring enough about their poem to read it thoroughly enough to be able to critique.

But then again... those are just my two cents.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 22 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #14

DHG, if you want me to be blunt about this: play by my rules or fuck off. It's really that simple. That's always been the way it is around here, and you have consistently demonstrated that you have a problem with it. Live with it, or take its advice. Frankly I don't give a toss either way and I find your continual whining it massively tedious when I object to you being rude to other people. In fact, since you have shown so far that you don't like being polite to people I think I would rather that you fuck off.

Yes, I'm swearing, but I'm past bored of you ignoring the rules of this place so maybe this will get your attention. It's still a simple choice that they present you with: play by me rules or fuck off. If you think it's perfectly okay to be rude to people then fuck off. If you actually want to refit your attitude and learn to get along with people without petty bickering and rudeness then you're welcome to stay, but if it seems too difficult to try to understand that it annoys people when you are a miserable bastard who thinks the world owes them respect just for their mere existence then you might as well log off now.

Your main problem is that you appear to approach every person on this forum as if they need to earn your respect but you expect to have the respect of other people instantly. The irony is that a new member of these forums should always instantly have the respect of other members purely by rights of being new. That respect can then be lost, but they need to do nothing to earn it originally. I have lost respect for you every time you have whined, whinged, complained, bickered, and then you have the temerity to dismiss people for showing angst. You are the zenith of examples of how annoying angst can be to other people. If you wrote miserable poems until the cows come home I wouldn't care, but throwing tantrums is destructive. So, once again, play by the rules or fuck off.

Mike: I understand completely that you are trying to give constructive criticism, but not everyone is necessarily looking for this and attempts to do this will in those cases often upset people. I certainly don't put you in the same camp as DHG because I see that you are trying to help their craft. I simply ask that in future you mention that you are also a poet and politely ask people if they would like feedback on their poetic construction. That should hopefully avoid the worst of the misunderstandings.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Apr 22 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #15

off topic but it really odd to see a swear word connected to Mata I've been imagining that he's a good adult nice example for the rest of us with a nice accent who's fairly non violent and happy and all he needed to do was use some 4 letter words to change it.....

PS thanks for keeping swearing of the boards normally it looks so much nicer and less hostile.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 22 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #16

Swearing is reserved for times when the strongest emphasis possible is required for clarity, and as such I feel is being used correctly here.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 22 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #17

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

*claps* yay Mata!! woo!! A few more words than I would have used, still, probably more diplomatic than the four I had in mind though.

QUOTE (Dancing Hamster Guy's predicted response)
Like, whatev-er, don't go there girlfriend, talk to the hand 'coz the face ain't listening

/childishness

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 22 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #18

It's not big and it's not clever, but all words have a time and a place.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Apr 23 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #19

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

*fist pound for Mata*

ahem...No, I do think this is a good rule. While I don't agree with petulance as a reaction to well-meant criticism, I also awknowledge that not everyone is looking for a critical literary analysis. Besides, I think what people should keep it mind is that even if someone's work isn't quality work, you don't have to say so. It can exist quite peacefully without doing you any harm. Live and let live and all that. So I don't think this rule is giving into hypersensitive poets so much as preventing pointless conflict. Which is never a bad thing.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 24 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #20

Absolutely, avoiding pointless conflict has to be the first priority here I think.

*reiterates* If in doubt about whether people want constructive criticism then please ask them before giving it. Potetry is so personal that it's easy to take critique as insult.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 24 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #21

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 24 2005, 01:50 AM)
Potetry is so personal that it's easy to take critique as insult.

pottery? poetry...or some combination of the two? tongue.gif

I did have a point to make...but after typing it, I realised it was probably totally out of date and largely aimed at one person....in other words..

/spam

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 24 2005, 02:51 AM
Post #22

Definitely pottetery. That is a very personal thing. So personal that many people won't even admit that they do it. Just try asking the next person you meet if they do pottetery, I bet they'll deny it. Or tell you to drink less before typing on this forum. Whatever. *decides it's time for bed*

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
dancing hamster ...
post Apr 25 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #23

Our UAV is online

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 22 2005, 04:15 PM)
DHG, if you want me to be blunt about this: Kiss my ass like everyone else or fuck off.

I think I'll just fuck off.....

wow, I can proudly say I pissed mata off - what an acomplishment!

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Apr 25 2005, 10:39 AM
Post #24

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

I tend to work on the following rule:

If something is in the public domain - such as these or other boards, or a 'public' LJ post type of thing expect other people to read it and form an opinion. Expect that opinion to be voiced, you will get feedback, positive and negative. So if you don't want said feedback either, make sure people can't see the article and/or can't comment on it. (Locked/private LJ post for example)
Afterall if you put something in the public domain its because you want to share it and if you can't accept the opinons of others then just don't put it out there!

Having said that I do feel that people often need think before they type, particularly with a negative opinion. Its fine to say you don't like something and why, but not to rip it and its creator apart.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 25 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (dancing hamster guy @ Apr 25 2005, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 22 2005, 04:15 PM)
DHG, if you want me to be blunt about this: Kiss my ass like everyone else or fuck off.

I think I'll just fuck off.....

wow, I can proudly say I pissed mata off - what an acomplishment!

I can't say that I'm surprised that you've utterly missed the point once again.

learn to get along with people without petty bickering and rudeness

At what point does that mean 'kiss my arse'? I can't believe I'm going to actually respond to this but I like to give people an explanation for why they are being barred, even when I know they are just going to ignore it.

It's good to know that you've gone out on a whiney 'aren't I great and angst-y, I'm so pleased I've been disruptive post' to continue your theme of other content. You must be so proud of being in that position of complaining about angst then whining when someone gives you numerous chances of being civilised and you still don't take them.

As mentioned in a previous thread, you are also making life more difficult for your friends, because you all often share one IP address. As always, I've given you fair warning several times.

Don't try to glorify yourself by thinking that I'm pissed off with you. I am very bored of you. I find your angst boring. All I have tried to do is get you to engage with other people in a mature discussion, treating other people with respect. Those are the rules of the place. If wanting people to show respect for each-other is 'kissing my arse' then so be it, but I think it's far more likely that it is in actual fact just a basic tenant of how to conduct mature, civilised conversation and debate.

I do find this quite sad. I don't like banning people, but if you will insist on believing that being rude to people is either intelligent or useful to anyone (including yourself) then you really aren't welcome here. You have been rude, abusive at times, inconsiderate, and in this way also very, very tedious. I wish you the best in growing up and managing to sustain a conversation with people who you don't see eye to eye with. Currently your attitude is to dismiss anyone that you don't like rather than listening and trying to understand them. That is what I have offered to you many times, and that is what you have persistently failed to achieve or even demonstrate the intention of achieving. There is nothing quite so dull as a person who is capable of engaging with a conversation but who never challenges themself to see the opinions of another. I hope that you learn this skill in the future.

Like I say, don't flatter yourself: I'm not pissed off. That would mean that you had done something interesting. You have bored me rigid.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 11:48 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!