Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Revision Techniques, what are yours?
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Apr 18 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #1

dream to make believe

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 863

With exams towering on the horizon and an awful "revision lecture" this morning I was just wondering what techniques you find useful when you're revising?

My tutor this morning was forcing us to use her method, which really doesn't help me and only made me angry and fantasise(sp?) about her being trampled by a herd of rabid hippo or dipping her in liquid nitrogen and making her head crumble to a billion tiny pieces... anyway, I digress.

I find that using a system of notes, flow charts (and other diagrams) and note cards as appropriate helps me.

I'll write up notes and add diagrams where they are available and useful and then summarise on the note cards. With things like physics I might just write general theory in note form and do appropriate circuit diagrams and specific theory on note cards so they are more defined.

So, what works for you; are you a chanter? A doodler or something completely different?

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Apr 18 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #2

Obliterates Everything He Kisses

Member No.: 633

Firstly: I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets angry at tutors and then has an elaborate fantasy involving stampeding animals! Hippos are a nice choice btw!

I tend to just write things out over and over and over again... If the case is to memorise things then I find this works best for me...Especially with quotes or theories... Also - putting things all over the place - like post-it notes or stick things to your walls - tends to jog my memory. I used to put post-it notes on my favourite CD cases so I'd recall the quote or whatever it was.

As with any revision session it's probably best to be comfy - but not too comfy - and just let the knowledge shaped stuff flow...

I may go get me some of those shiny note cards! I've got two essays to memorise!

I gues I'm a chanter... :S

Fal xXx

--------------------
The bookworm - bellydancing tart of Snuggles Harem
Fallen World
I have done it again. One year in every ten I manage it. . .

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Apr 18 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #3

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

I chant while walking then when I need said information I can just remember where I was or take the same walk to get it back again.
It's like leaving little bits of my brain all over town tongue.gif smile.gif .....

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Apr 18 2005, 02:53 PM
Post #4

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

Read stuff/do work before going to bed. Revise in sleep. Or if it's something that can be repeated, such as a speech that needs leaning: burn to disc, play to during sleep. This has an added bonus that all sleep is revision, so when they tell you to do more revision, you can just sleep lots smile.gif.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Apr 18 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #5

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

Among my group of friends at uni we had a habit of picking a subject each and making a mini revision guide for it which gets distributed around everyone.

It helps pick out the key points of each subject and makes you a complete ninja at one of them. Another advantage is that if lots of people are having trouble with one subject but a few people understand it well then the person with understanding can write the guide for it and hopefully make it clearer for the others.

(Basically a distributed form of going through all the notes you have from the subject and trying to make them resemble something which actually makes sense.)

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Apr 18 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #6

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Most of the time I'm just a lazy person who doesn't revise. I often find myself lying in bed in the early hours of the morning just reading through my books. It works for me.

Sometimes I write little tunes and make little songs of revision.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Apr 18 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #7

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

I make huge flowcharts with masses of lines connecting fragments of text that noone else in the known universe can understand.

Or, I do what I am doing for the Mocks I have at the moment. I take a textbook with me to the exam, with a piece of paper telling me the topics, and flick through it whilst waiting to go in.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Apr 18 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #8

dream to make believe

QUOTE (Fallen Element @ Apr 18 2005, 02:25 PM)
Firstly: I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets angry at tutors and then has an elaborate fantasy involving stampeding animals! Hippos are a nice choice btw!

Phew, glad I'm not either!

I'm difinately not a chanter... I can't talk to myself outloud unless I'm in a crowded room.

--------------------
Last.fm

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Apr 18 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #9

Talking out loud is fun! And in no way connected to madness! ph34r.gif

Give it a try! Give it a try I say!

Also - a wee tip that sounds strange but worked for me! - brush your teeth before you start revision! The minty goodness refreshes you and also (better in tea form) can make your brain more receptive!

Fal xXx

PS. You are *definately* not alone on the animal mauling front! Bring on the rabid wildebeast! Bring em on I say!

--------------------
Fallen World

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Apr 18 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #10

dream to make believe

QUOTE (Fallen Element @ Apr 18 2005, 05:13 PM)
Give it a try! Give it a try I say!

Also - a wee tip that sounds strange but worked for me! - brush your teeth before you start revision! The minty goodness refreshes you and also (better in tea form) can make your brain more receptive!

I have tried, it really doesn't work... I hate the sound of my own voice!

I do the brushing teeth thing, it also stops you from feeling hungry and therefore doing "oooh I'll just go get something to eat quickly" based procrastination. At least until the taste wares out!

--------------------
Last.fm

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Apr 18 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #11

As I've never heard your voice I can't comment. I'm sure it's lovely though!

Erm... I ran out of tips... I found that Chicago Town Pizzas help revision - 'specially at 4am! I damn my friend Heather! :>

Good luck with your revision though! *positive thoughts*

Fal xXx

--------------------
Fallen World

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Apr 18 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #12

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

I feel really guilty as I am a firm believer in the idea that revision does no good to anyone. The only exams I have ever done badly in were exams I revised for.The exams that I went into virtually cold went fine. I mean I did practice papers to prepare me for the question style and I did a quick flick through the list of topics to check there was nothing that I didn't KNOW but I've always felt that if you don't know it now there is no point revising it. This said I bang on about revision to my students as much as I feel I can do without compromising my integrity (I REFUSE to lie to students!) as I know it does help some people I've just always felt that there were better uses of my time

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Apr 18 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #13

dream to make believe

I know where you're coming from, I have friends who work like that, but I don't. Although I do know most of the stuff I find it difficult to put into my own words so doing notes and generally going through it again helps me.

Definately agree with you about practise papers though, what really bugs me about my course is that it's only the second year it has existed so there is only one lot of past papers and in most of the modules they won't let us have them, or even tell us what to expect. We keep telling them it's unreasonable for them to make us go in with no clue what we will be faced with... what harm does it do anyone to tell us the question format, how they are broken down, if we have to do 3/4 or all of the questions.

We also do the getting together and swapping revision materials, although notes are more personal and I doubt I could work so well from someone elses notes!

--------------------
Last.fm

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 18 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #14

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

I'm morally oppossed to revision so I just end up reading through notes, old coursework/assignments and occasionally working through old tutorials, if they exist.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Apr 18 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #15

: P>

Member No.: 991

Remember when doing past papers to compare answers too so you get an early warning of thinking you know something when you really don't. smile.gif

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Sky
post Apr 23 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #16

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,375

I'm a visual learner, so writing things down and blutacking them to my wall works for me.

Doesn't do much for the décor, but it does mean that you don't actually have to learn anything at all. Things learn YOU.

Oh, and haikus. Funny ones. Limericks if you're feeling adventurous...

--------------------
my adopter's better than yours!

With a prompter in every cellar window wispering comebacks, shy people would have the last laugh.

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Apr 23 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #17

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

I used to find that a good highlighter taken to my notes or my text book really helped me pick out the key points. Also slashing up my notebooks with retina burning yellow always made me feel like I was accomplishing something.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Apr 23 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #18

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

My method requires a lot of space: write out all the important things you need to know in bright colours and tape them all over your room. Depending on how many subjects I'm trying to do at once, I end up with things like the definition of osmosis and the names of three different Indian ragas taped in a kind of wallpaper all over my bedroom, on the ceiling, over the windows (last year we'd just moved house so I had no blinds or curtains- but it wasn't urgent because my revision notes did the job!), overflowing into the bathroom and possibly the rest of the house... it does work for me though. Especially having notes on the ceiling over my bed. I once set up my computer so it would ask me a revision question every time it started up, but I ended up getting so annoyed I never turned it off, which was kind of defeating the point. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
Erin
post Apr 26 2005, 02:35 AM
Post #19

the one that is me

Member No.: 1,578

my revisions are usually just a bunch of multicolored charts and graphs with pictures all over the white space. pictures help me alot..i'm a visual learner..i suck at just looking at text and taking in the info. but..i'm totally into art..so..that could be why. tongue.gif Anyhow. i find it easiest to get some brightly colored graphing paper, some highlighters, paints, pastels, rulers, and ball point pens. then i get the info for graphs and charts, write it in with pencil then color over it in something bright. then i draw pictures of what the info makes me think of and i color it with all my coloring supplies. then i write some info on it in big bright letters, then i tack it to my ceiling and fall asleep reading it! thats what i do..and it helps me..ALOT! my teachers make me do lame normal plain text revisions in class though..ewww. i can do pretty good without revisions though if i'm aloud to draw..drawing makes my mind clear..much like meditation. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
--Owner Of Lilith The black and white kitten--
--Cheesemooses Lovely noob--
--Member of the Cult Of Brother Black Sheep--
--Official Beautiful Feathery Girl Over There Erin of Tribe Wyvern--
--damned and dastardly is my noob ^^--

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Apr 26 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #20

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

As far as writing goes I don't revise or plan out what I'm writing that much. I find my writing is of better quality that way because I'm not constantly worrying about following my plan to a T, rather I'm just letting the words flow. However, I do go back and check my spelling -- because that seems to be my downfall. I also make sure that I've made the correct puncuation, and answered whatever questions that I've been asked directly. You could have a great response to a question, not have it be the answer they were looking for.

Note cards/flash cards are the best. They will make you learn something more quickly. This is because when mixed up, or shuffled rather, they force you to learn something from two different perspectives. Whenever I make flashcards for my french vocabulary tests I ace the exam, if I don't I struggle and get an A- to a B+. (which is low 90's, high 80's out of a score of 100). So make sure that if you make flash cards you shuffle them and don't just keep reading them one way.

As for multiple guess exams? Just check to make sure you've read the question right. Sometimes they even have answers to previous questions later on in the exam. Other than that don't do what I do and change your answers. It's statistically proven that your first guess, or choice, tends to be right more often than not.

Charts and graphs do help for studying and in the test. Think of acronyms -- like Dr. (and) Mrs. Vandertramp --- each letter stands for all the verbs in french that take etre in the past tense.

okay, well, I think I've written more than enough. Good luck with your exams!

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
oxym0ronical
post Apr 26 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #21

badfish

Member No.: 139

I'm also the type who can't study for exams. It just doesn't work for me. I do, however, listen carefully to lectures and take notes throughout the lecture. I've found that, while I don't go back and read them, writing the notes help me remember.

Note cards, outlines, and highlighting stuff while I'm reading tends to work better than anything else. I'm also the type to never really do a rough draft. When I sit down and write, I edit as I go, but once it's written, I rarely change anything (aside from errors I didn't notice to begin with).

+Quote Post
zivane
post Apr 27 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #22

Goddess of Purple Froot Loops

From: various, Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Member No.: 1,682

I'm about the same in the entire "I don't study/revise" for anything, ever. I have in the past, I ended up failing. I generally pass tests and exams with really high marks, too. And the whole rough drafts of papers never clicked with me. I use Omni to type out an outline, then just keep adding stuff to it, editing as I go along, and then an hour later, I've got a ten page paper done.

Just taking good notes and paying attention in class is enough. I got really angry when our lecturers here in the UK handed us notes at the beginning of class. I didn't want them. I don't learn that way.

--------------------
hawtt?! perfect ^.^

niao! ^.^ mr. cheeseiemooseys n00b - kinda, eh?

t3h uber 1337 LJ monster Little Gamers Web Comic My Space

+Quote Post
Chronotub
post Apr 27 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #23

Worrying

Member No.: 1,776

For my gcse's I just flicked through a revision guide during Simpsons the night before the exam and it got me through fine, but after my disappointing January exam results for my AS levels I am trying something different this time. I’ll probably just read my text books and do some practice exams.

--------------------
Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!

+Quote Post
Museum Girl
post May 3 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #24

GLITTER!!!!!

Member No.: 1,697

I read stuff, stare into space and recite it until I've got it perfect. Now rinse and repeat. They don't make a revision guide for medieval history as only a few hundred people take it every year. This makes me sad as it meant I had to take notes this year and couldn't just draw elves in class like usual.

What was your tutors technique that drove you so mad?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 08:35 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!