Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firefox Add-ons, recommend some?
Novander
post Apr 25 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Take apart your head

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,599

FireFox is great. And one of the reasons its great is extensions. Like this one, which changes the google search results page so it shows a thumbnail of each page next to the result. Very nice.

Any one got any other extensions that have radically improved your browsing?

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Apr 25 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

QUOTE (Novander @ Apr 25 2005, 05:36 PM)
FireFox is great. And one of the reasons its great is extensions. Like this one, which changes the google search results page so it shows a thumbnail of each page next to the result. Very nice.

Any one got any other extensions that have radically improved your browsing?

Mata switched me onto the one that lets you do mouse gestures to control forward, back and opening new windows/tabs. I usually have a godawful number of browser windows open at any one time, so it's top notch.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of the extension though.

I'm not sure I want to see a thumbnail of a google search result, given that sometimes it returns things that you really don't want to accidentally see.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Apr 25 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #3

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

I'm using adblock, bugmenot, bbcode and forecastfox. smile.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Apr 25 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #4

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

I use RadialContext which gives me nice pie menus. Basically mouse gestures with a circular "menu" drawn around the cursor to make it easier to start using and less frustrating when you can't remember the gesture for something.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Apr 25 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #5

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

if you're into less-useful but more-fun addons, try http://www.stumbleupon.com/. It's a browsing aid that helps you "stumble upon" sites of interest when you're bored.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 25 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

The standard ones: Adblock, Disable Targets For Downloads, Tabbrowser preferences.

More fun ones:

Mouse gestures, as Jon mentioned, I think mouse gestures are the best thing in Firefox navigation. Utterly indespensible. Moop's one is okay, but personally I found the radial menu annoying. You'll probably only use a couple of the mouse gestures anyway, so remembering them isn't a problem.

Super DragAndGo, this lets you open links in new tabs simply by left clicking on a link and dragging it to a blank part of the page. Great if you want to open loads of links from one site.

IEView, again, a brilliant and simple piece of labour-saving code. In the right-click menu this simply adds the extra option to open the same page in IE. Since about 3% of the web throws a strop about Firefox this just saves a bit of time along the way and makes browsing easier. It's another reason why Firefox is so good: it lets you swtich easily between the software you need to get the job done.

And lastly, my favourite: Foxytunes. I love this extension dearly. It puts a little set of controls across the bottom of your browser window with controls for pretty much every media player you can think of. It might sound pointless, but if you listen to as much music while browsing as me then you'll quickly see how great it is to have things like a volume control or pause button in one click rather than in a different window.

Jon: to see what extensions you have click Tools>Extensions. The pop-up window also gives you a link to the extensions site so you could browse and have a look at new ones that you might fancy.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post May 11 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 374

GMail Notifier, Google Preview, and the BugMeNot extension.

It lets you bypass compulsory web registration via Firefox’s right-click context menu. Which basically lets you get into paysites for free. I don't use it often, but it's neat to use when you want to look at something that you have to register for, like the NY Times.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post May 14 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 26 2005, 12:22 AM)
Super DragAndGo, this lets you open links in new tabs simply by left clicking on a link and dragging it to a blank part of the page. Great if you want to open loads of links from one site.

Someone learned enough about Firefox to make a plugin and missed the fact that with a few clicks in "Preferences" you can set it to open a link in a new tab when you middle click (or CTRL + click for those with no middle button*)?

* Or those unfortunate enough to have installed Micro$hafts Intellimouse drivers which force you to bind the middle button to some useless function they defined instead of letting the application define what it does (which is the better option in 90% of cases. Well done once more on a great bit of software, Bill.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 14 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #9

For some reason it took me ages to get the hang of middle-clicking, I'd always just scroll the page up by accident, usually meaning that I then had to move back down to the link again.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post May 16 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #10

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

Hmm, most of the things I would've recommended have already been posted. Some things that I like that weren't mentioned are Noia 2.0 Extreme a very pretty theme, Deepest Sender lets you post Live Journal entries and has the ability to get songs from your media player, but it needs a seperate program. hmm, the website seems to be down, so no more links, but. There's also MiniT (drag+indicator) which lets you rearange your tabs, I don't use it that often but it's nice for when I want to. EditCSS is fun, it lets you change stylesheets in the sidebar and it will show the changes in the page, useful for designing webpages, and just playing around.

There's also some good stuff that's built in. In preferences/options under web features, if you click the advanced button there's options for disallowing scripts from resizing your window and other things like that.

+Quote Post
Moosh
post May 23 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #11

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

I use Super DragAndGo, FoxyTunes, I Must Not Fear!, Marijuana Delicious Delicacies, DictionarySearch, StumbleUpon, SingleWindow, FireSomething, US Department of Homeland Insecurity Idiocy Level, UndoCloseTab and IEView.

I particularly like FireSomething, becaues it means I am writing this in "Mozilla Powercanary"

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post May 25 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #12

Greasemonkey is quite cool.

Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension which lets you to add bits of DHTML ("user scripts") to any web page to change its behavior. In much the same way that user CSS lets you take control of a web page's style, user scripts let you easily control any aspect of a web page's design or interaction.

Theres loads of scripts on the site, I installed one that adds average tracks per hour/day/week to audioscrobbler, and I changed it a bit to make one that adds percentages for each of the top artists (and it worked! yay!)

I also like the icons on this theme: Scribblies Plain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
little_bear
post May 27 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #13

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

I use adblock, which is very useful. I also use Chatzilla for IRC, occasionally.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post May 27 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #14

I use a few custom bits of javascript I added to some of my bookmark toolbar buttons.

If I click the google link it searches for the current selected text in the page or blank if nothing is selected.

If I click the dictionary.com link it searches for the current selected text in the page or pops up a little box and asks me what I want to search for.

If I click the wayback machine link it takes me to the wayback archive for the current page.

And so on, no plugins necessary - just Firefox's inbuilt niftyness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post May 27 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #15

You can just right click selected text and click "Search web for.." anyway. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post May 27 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #16

*points at Apple Mac*

*points at single button mouse*

You mean hold the mouse button down over? tongue.gif

Heh... I don't do it that way on my BSD boxes or Windows boxes. Who says people have to do things one way when they can do them any of several others?

I _never_ use the firefox search bar though...it's just clunky. Click bar, type word in, select search engine, search. So many clicks for a simple search. The java buttons are nice because (unlike the right click menu or search bar) the work how _I_ want them to. I like systems which let me setup things how I like them. Hence why I never touch a Windows box if I can avoid it. *shudders* (though Apple aren't much better but at least their UI is well designed, looks nice and unlike Windows it won't turn even the fastest PC into a snail. And OS X is based on BSD, of course, that's another factor.)

Now leave me be in my little cave of UNIX fanboyism. (No, not Linux, that's for bitches. Proper UNIX.)

[edit]Just checked. There's definitely no "search web for..." menu item on the right click/hold down mouse button menu[/edit]

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post May 27 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #17

heh.. ok then. tongue.gif I like the little searchy thing, its useful if I want to look up random things on wikipedia (I use the keyboard instead of all the clicking though)

Hmm.. works ok for me on windows ph34r.gif only when somethings selected though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post May 27 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #18

Ooh! Must have been something to do with me foolishly playing google seppuku at the time when I tested because it's there now - possibly something to do with the japanese characters. Each to their own. smile.gif

I find the buttons I added handy because they're customised to what I want and how I want them to work. I mainly posted it to show the amount of customisation available in firefox. You can change nearly anything in the interface with some Javascript and some XML. I just haven't done anything terribly interesting with it. wink.gif

*shrugs*

Google Seppuku:
- Download japanese text input tool
- Insert random japanese characters into google
- Click image search
- Scroll down until you see something which makes you wish you'd never been born

</off-topic>

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 27 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #19

I love the sound of Goggle Seppuku!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Jun 27 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #20

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

No installation of Godzilla Hypnonewt would be complete without Firesomething.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 28 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #21

Currently I've had to disable AdBlock, which is causing me much pain, because it argues with the beta version of the new Flash player software. Bah.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jul 6 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #22

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

I used to have an extension which stopped that empty tab opening up when you downloaded a file, but I can't find it again... anyone know what it is?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 04:23 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!