IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Most Of You Have Just Finished Winter Right, so can you help me with my aproaching
depressed lonely...
post May 1 2005, 07:02 AM
Post #1

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,469

OK most people here are in the northern hemisphere so you'd be getting over winter where as I'm now aproaching it.
Generally I go a bit funny in winter, I tend to be more emotional, get a little more stir crazy and just feel all out flakythis year I'd like not to be all over the place for 3 months.
Given that I was wondering if there anyone who knows what causes that kind of thing and how to keep it to a minimum.

thanks
Rae

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
talking to faeri...
post May 1 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #2

put the aerial on your head

Group: New Members
Member No.: 89

Not that I have any experience of it, but you might have seasonal affective disorder. If you search that on google it'll give you tonnes of information on it. I think basically it's to do with reduced exposure to natural light, which you would obviously get in the winter months, which affects your moods (I'm not exactly sure how it works though.)

But the good news is that you can buy special lights that emit a natural form of light instead of the nasty flourescent light. I think it's been proven to have an affect on moods, so that may be of use to you. I have no idea where you can get these lights from though. I did see them on a UK shopping channel once, but obviously you wouldn't get that. I bet if you searched google something would crop up though.

Good luck

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post May 1 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

other than to comment that you don't get a proper winter if you ain't up to your arse in snow tongue.gif then I'd suggets the following:

Spend at least an hour outside in what light there is every day (wrap up warm)
Take vitamin D suppliments (sunlight helps your body make it so in low light get a top up)
Pamper yourself, the cold harms skin and hair so moisturise lots.
Eat light, don't get stodged and starched up on winter food, eat some raw veggies/fruit every day, even just a carrot or an apple.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post May 1 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

QUOTE (talking to faeries @ May 1 2005, 08:34 AM)
But the good news is that you can buy special lights that emit a natural form of light instead of the nasty flourescent light.  I think it's been proven to have an affect on moods, so that may be of use to you.  I have no idea where you can get these lights from though.  I did see them on a UK shopping channel once, but obviously you wouldn't get that.  I bet if you searched google something would crop up though.

It's not the "nasty" fluorescent light that does it... (incandescent is just as unhelpful tongue.gif )... it's that artificial light in general isn't full spectrum. What you need are full spectrum lights, which more closely simulate natural light.

</science geek>

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post May 2 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #5

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

My friend has SAD and I think she said something about St. John's Wort helping. Or some kind of wort. Or...something. Also, there is a type of light you can buy to put in your room that's supposed to help, and I'm sure it'd show up if you googled SAD treatments. And just simply keeping outdoors and active helps.(Also, I've found a nice cup of tea never did any harm when it's cold out and you need a warm pick me up.) Me, I like it when I'm up to my knees in snow; I'm rather put out about this silly "sun" thing that seems to be showing up lately. I certainly didn't invite it, I know know what's it's doing stalking me all the time... tongue.gif

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Aria
post May 2 2005, 02:28 AM
Post #6

Confused. Very Very Confused.

Member No.: 941

QUOTE (artist.unknown @ May 2 2005, 02:16 AM)
My friend has SAD and I think she said something about St. John's Wort helping.

Yup, St. John's Wort does help with mild depression, but it does interact with other drugs, so if you are on any other drugs, check with your doctor to see if there are negative interactions. This is really important.

Other things that help are, like has been said, full spectrum light. Evening primrose oil is also supposed to help with mild depression. Also, vitamin B is good, in particular vitamin b-6. Eating well is also very important. Try to stay away from junk food, as much as possible. Go for veggies and fruit. Get some exercise every week. Go for a walk, or go to a gym, or dance around in your living room. Try to keep your living space clean, as oddly enough, this tends to keep people in a better mood, if everything isn't strewn across heck's half acre. Spend time with your friends. Try to get out of the house. Try to hang out in areas with bright colours, like yellow, or orange, or something like that-- these colours tend to lift your mood. Stay away from darker colours like blues, purples, and blacks.

.... Can you tell there is a history of depression in my family?

--------------------
In your misery
You're not alone
So come share your tears with me
And witness it all go wrong

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 01:17 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!