Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Large Dilemma., Please Help!
Cath Sparrow
post May 13 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #1

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

I will lay out my probelm and you can let me know what you think.
As of the end of this month I'm more than probably going to be made redundant. So I of cause have been job hunting and today I went for an interview. I wont tell you about the job because it wont mean a great deal to most of you and basically they offered me the job there and then. My problem is whether to take it or not.

The pro's of the job are:-
They'll be teaching me a new skill. Which will mean better training on a computer system I've been working on already.
I'll have to move near to several of my friend one of which (Wyvern) I'm trying to sort a business idea with.
More pay than what I'm on now.
From a security point of view it would be a good move in the fact if I take the job I can start at the end of the month and get my redundency pay and be able to use it for what I want rather than needing it to live on.

The con's are:-
The job they'll be training me in will limit me in what jobs I can do in the future if I'd been doing the job I'm in at the moment for a few years longer I could take this job with no worries and still be ok to pick up where I left off but as I've only been in it 18 months at trainne level to stop it now for this new job will put a rather large obstical in the way in the future.
I've been told I can get more than there offering by more than one person reasonably easily.
The Job sound interesting enough but it's not my ideal.
I've apply to several job agentcies which have sent my CV off to several companies some with more interesting jobs but I've not heard back about any more interviews yet and may not till next month or later. which could start causing problem money wise.

So help me decide whether to take this job or not. Please! Any surgestion will be appriciated.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post May 13 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #2

dream to make believe

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 863

Hrm... how likely is it that you will be made redundant?

How likely are you to get a job that would leave you in the same position you're in at the moment (ie. just continuing the training) or one that is further on from what you're currently doing?

Can you see the business proposition working and therefore not really have to worry about where you will go in the future?

I don't know the exact situation but if you can see it working out with the new job I say go for it... you can always quit and find something more suitable in a few months if needs be.

*hugs*
good luck!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post May 13 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #3

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

OK Ryn using brain here on a friday night.

Question: Would it be possible to take this job but still look for something else?

If so then I would take it until something more your bag came along. This business with Wyvern is something you've been talking about for a while (if memory serves me- I could just be being psychic!) Any new skill is always a bonus and if something you really want comes along then go for it.

Course I could be talking out of my @r$!

Bug hugs sweetie

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
believe
post May 13 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #4

the token conservative

Member No.: 1,594

Would you be making enough more (at potential new job) to save up and allow for training or something to avoid being stuck in a career rut?

--------------------
Mr.Teapot is my e-daddy, Jaq is my e-sister and Vic is my e-husband! syuu is our e-daughter.

Pit Bulls & BSL Urban Legends Fight BSL

We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
- The Boondock Saints

Ange is the devil on my shoulder.

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post May 14 2005, 04:41 AM
Post #5

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

Hmmm. Tough. Still, a bird in the hand...
I'd say, take the job, but keep looking, but that's easy for me to say...
Good luck!

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 15 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

I'm with Ryn on this one. Could you take the job for a bit of security in-hand while you continue to look for other things behind the new people's backs? Or maybe you could ask them for more money...

Actually, that might not be a bad idea. If you ask them for what is judged to be a more reasonable wage then one of two things will happen:

They might say yes and you could still go and do the job while looking for other things but you'll be paid more money

They might say no and that would make the decision for you.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 15 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #7

I've been brainwashed

Thanks for your help everyone. Ive done some serious thinking over the weekend and decided I probably wont take the job. I not the sort of person who could take a job knowing that I might very well be moving on in a couple of months. I know I shouldn't let it bother me cause they could just as likely dump me in a couple of month and not bat an eye lid. But I just cant be that sort of person. I can also see that it might actually cause more problems than it solves in the fact to take the job I would have to move and if the new job was else where again it would mean moving again which would end up costing money which I cant afford. A friend also pointed out to me that for the time being if nothing comes up straight away that I could take a temping job to tide me over. So it's back to the job hunting woo......
PS this was a very hard dicission to come to but I think I've done what's right for me.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post May 15 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #8

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

*hugs*

At the end of the day it's all bout you hunny. I know it was on your mind, and I'm happy you made a decision you seem pretty convinced of.

*more hugs and SMEXlickhugs*

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 16 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #9

That sounds like a very reasonable way of approaching things.

I'm not the kind of person to start a job then walk out soon afterwards either, but I know a lot of people don't mind doing that. I know a girl did that recently for a job paying something like 10k more... So you can't blame her really!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post May 16 2005, 06:48 AM
Post #10

Big huggles Cath!!! Hope you find something just right for you. Incidentally what is it EXACTLY you are looking for? Maybe there might be someone here or someone who knows someone that might be useful?

Good luck sweetums

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 26 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #11

I've been brainwashed

OOoo! Just had another interview today the job sounds alot more interesting and I'm not sure but think the pay's better. I 've got to go in for a couple of day so they can check my abilities and I can see if I'll get on with the people I'd be working with. If I got this it would mean I wouldn't have to move which at the moment is a pretty good thing cause I've got debts to sort out and living with parents is one hell of a lot cheaper but will still leave me the option to move if I want to. So would be a pretty good option if I got it. It would also make it easier if I descide it's not right and want to take a differnt job. So fingers crossed and I keep you updated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post May 26 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #12

Fingers, eyes, toes, arms, legs, lips, noses...( ooops only got one of them) crossed. Good luck honey bunch!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jun 27 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #13

I've been brainwashed

Well that was fun I didn't even get to start the job before I got made redundant this time! M&S are really srewing up made job propects big time! The company I just left and the company I was about to start with both supply M&S and from what I can tell they keep shoving a very large oar in which means I keep losing jobs, it more complicated than that I know but from the information I've been given it's basically what it boils down to. So yet again I'm screwed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jun 27 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #14

Oh Cath!!!!! Big hugz bunny!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Jun 28 2005, 02:53 AM
Post #15

Meow!

Member No.: 1,296

I stay offline a couple of days, and hear that everythings on a downturn again... sad.gif I'm hoping and praying for you... better days will come soon. Hang in there...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 28 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #16

Damn it! Yep, M&S have a lot of clout, if they are stopping buying from people then that will have a major effect on the suppliers.

We've almost completely lost Allders, and C&A went a few years ago... Who's next?

This economic 'slowdown' is causing many people lots of problems. Last month was the first time ever in the history of credit cards that people paid off more money than they spent. If that doesn't say something about the mood of shoppers at the moment then I don't know what does. Sadly, that's going to mean that big chains are going to want to cut back a bit to ride out the storm.

I really hope something turns up soon!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jun 28 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #17

I've been brainwashed

Eeerrmmm..... got an interview tomorrow........

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 07:23 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!