Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Are You Watching?, Films and TV
Mata
post May 15 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Well, we've got other threads like this, so let's continue the set.

There are actually quite a lot of series that I'm enjoying at the moment:

Startrek: Enterprise (season 4, 3 was good, four is working out very well. They're finally in their stride and it's a shame that this is the last one)

Alias (season 4, it could do with the Rimbaldi plotline again in my opinion, without it it's still a very stylish spy thriller, but it's lost some of the heart I think)

Dead Like Me (season 2, it's a slow burner this series, but it just keeps getting better. Well worth sticking with and this season has had some real laugh-out-loud moments as well as some genuinely emotional bits. Great stuff.)

Smallville (season 4 I think, maybe 3. Things have got a bit silly this time around, but it's still enjoyable watching all the pretty people, and a bad episode of this is still ten times better than a good episode of something like Mutant X.)

24 (season 4, perhaps this is losing it's way a bit, but I still enjoy how preposterous the whole thing is. Great fun.)

Doctor Who (season umpteen, just fantastic)

I think the last film I saw at the cinema was Constantine, which I really loved. CGI, angels and demons, Keanu Reeves... Great stuff. Just my kind of film!

So, what have you been watching?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Novander
post May 15 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #2

Take apart your head

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,599

Currently I'm watching:

Doctor Who: Fantastic. While the last episode was good, I was a little let down that we didn't get to see the Doctor chatting with his past self. I can't imagine anyone the Doctor could have a more interesting conversation with than himself

Lost: This show surpasses Doctor Who in fantasticness. A plane crashes on a deserted island. Its hundreds of miles off-course so the rescue teams won't be looking in the right place for them. And then it gradually gets stranger and stranger as you see all the main characters stories through flashbacks

Numb3rs: This is a silly show. With the success of shows like Without A Trace and CSI, someone decided to make another FBI show. And the hook? The main FBI agent's brother is a genius mathematician and solves the crimes using maths. Its not a bad show (Ridley Scott produces it), but its not the best of its kind around.

24: Fourth season and still going strong.

Family Guy/American Dad: Seth MacFarlane continues to be the funniest man on television

Last films I watched were 'Saw' (a horrible, horrible movie, though quite well made) and 'The Punisher' (Guns. Explosions. Not So Great Acting. Exactly what you'd expect from a movie with this name.)

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 15 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #3

'Numb3rs' sounds a bit like 'John Doe', where there was a man who knew everything except who he was. He went around solving cases with science. It was better than it sounds!

I've heard of 'Lost', it sounded quite interesting but it's not over here yet and I don't download things to watch on my PC (it's just not relaxing to watch things in my tiny office!).

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 15 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

I spent much of yesterday evening watching three DVDs of "Trigger Happy TV" a (for those who aren't aware of it) 'candid camera'-style comedy show starring Dom Joly, shown on Channel 4. I joined it fairly late when it was first being broadcast, but caught most of the last series, then went out and bought the DVD box set. A lot of people didn't like it, and didn't find it funny at all - perhaps due to some of its often 'out-there' ideas, and excessive use of rabbit costumes biggrin.gif Nevertheless, I loved it, as I did 'World Shut Your Mouth': a kind of 'international' version of Trigger Happy (also with Joly).

--------------------

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post May 15 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #5

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Trigger Happy TV! It's a shame that they don't show that anymore. I thoroughly enjoyed that it.

I've never been a big television person... the last thing I watched was Phantom of the Opera on DVD. I'd already seen it, but it was worth a second viewing smile.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Jonman
post May 16 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #6

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Enjoying Dead Like Me's current series on Sky. Dipping in and out of Nip/Tuck, but that's just gone major bonkers recently.

Trying out Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is growing on me.

Looking forward to the 3rd season of 6 Feet Under, which should be arriving from the DVD rental people shortly.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 16 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #7

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

Only thing I've been following is Doctor Who, but I've just been informed that Invader Zim is showing, so I'll be looking out for that.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 16 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Jonman @ May 16 2005, 07:48 AM)
Dipping in and out of Nip/Tuck, but that's just gone major bonkers recently.

I started watching that in its first series, but found after a few episodes that I just didn't care about any of the characters. Evidently lots of people do though, it gets good ratings here and in the US.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post May 16 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (Mata @ May 16 2005, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 16 2005, 07:48 AM)
Dipping in and out of Nip/Tuck, but that's just gone major bonkers recently.

I started watching that in its first series, but found after a few episodes that I just didn't care about any of the characters. Evidently lots of people do though, it gets good ratings here and in the US.

All the characters are a bit larger than life. For instance,

SPOILER WARNING!!!!

One of their son's turns out be the other's one's biological son. Said son shacks up with his mother's 'life coach'. Who has slept with her own son. Who is proper bonkers.

It's like an X-rated soap opera. Written by a mad hermit.

[spoilers are better when they have to be cut and pasted to be read - Mata]

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 16 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Jonman @ May 16 2005, 08:48 AM)
Looking forward to the 3rd season of 6 Feet Under, which should be arriving from the DVD rental people shortly.

I watched the first season of Six Feet Under, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I missed the second and third, and now I feel like I'll never get back into it unless I go and buy all the DVDs.

Last night I watched an episode of Fawlty Towers (on a DVD which came free with a UK tabloid newspaper). I've never watched a full episode of it before and now, having finally done so, I can safely say that it was... fairly good. I quite enjoyed it, but I'm not about to rush out and buy the series on DVD (unless I spot it on eBay at a bargain price, of course).

The only true series that I have been following on television recently is 'Desperate Housewives'. And I'm actually watching it for the story, not just to see Eva Langoria in various minimalist clothing. Honest!

--------------------

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post May 16 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #11

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

but I've just been informed that Invader Zim is showing

Eek! Love!

/snaps out of it

Currently, I've been subsisting on Tivo'd Darias, as it's on normally at 3 in the morning or so on the TV in my parent's room. Lovely.

I've got Season 4 of the Simpsons on DVD, so I've been watching that as well. A combination of these two mediums has ruined me for regular TV, as it caused me to forget about those dastardly ads. But when I risk the annoyance, I watch Scrubs. Because it's tasty and wonderful.

Last movies I've watched were mandatory, so not quite as enjoyable as they might be. Rather good nonetheless. Chicago in my drama class and a surprisingly funny French film (watched, curiously enough, in French class) whose title evades me at the moment. The plot involved a runaway son who has three potential fathers and a mother who tricks all three into searching for him. A bonus was learning how to tell someone to (*thinks of a polite term*)..... leave whilst copulating in French.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 16 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ May 16 2005, 09:13 PM)
I watch Scrubs. Because it's tasty and wonderful.

I'm not watching it yet, because the new series doesn't show on UK terrestrial TV until this Friday. But I will be biggrin.gif I think I've only seen the first series and a small part of the second, due to moving back and forth between a couple of locations last year and the year before. But I'm looking forward to seeing it properly again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post May 16 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #13

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I'm not the greatest fan of any series except I try to catch the Simpsons when I can. It never gets old and makes me laugh inside. I'll also watch Daria if it's on. It's one of those programs that are on MTV2. I think that the way it has shown the stereotypical social groups is funny. I prefer music channels and cartoons really.

Currently I'm half listening, half running across the room to watch: the 10 o' clock news.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
ShadowWolfenNinj...
post May 16 2005, 09:54 PM
Post #14

Do you know the muffin man? No seriously, Do you?

Member No.: 1,793

Well I did watch the Phantom of the Opera movie yesterday and watching The Grudge again today, It's gruesome, Just the way I like it! ^.^

--------------------
user posted image See Gir dance, Dance Gir dance! user posted image

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 16 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #15

Is that the Japanese or the American version of The Grudge. PVCFairy and I stayed up one night to watch the Japanese one. It's good, but it's no 'Ring' or 'The Eye'. If you like horror and you've not seen The Eye then I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a bit of a 'greatest hits' of eastern horror but done with such style and love that you really don't mind. It's also another good reason to look out for films coming from Thailand. Thailand is the new Hong Kong!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
ShadowWolfenNinj...
post May 16 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #16

It's the new Grudge, The cat kid is awesome, I scared somebody doing cat sounds. It was lots of fun. I think my Uncle has "The Eye" he likes horror movies as much as I do. But since he lives about two cities away from me I'll hafta ask him about it then.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Novander
post May 18 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #17

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

QUOTE (Mata @ May 15 2005, 02:32 PM)
24 (season 4, perhaps this is losing it's way a bit, but I still enjoy how preposterous the whole thing is. Great fun.)

I just found out there's going to be at least two more series after this one.

I have faith in them, though... they use the same plots over and over every time, but still somehow manage to keep the tension.

"I've been kidnapped!" "They've got a bomb!" "Help me Jack!" "They've got a bomb!" "He's a terrorist?!" "Help me Jack!" "They've got a bomb!" "I've been kidnapped"...

You see? Wonderful stuff.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
patback87
post May 19 2005, 04:58 AM
Post #18

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

Well, between school and work I don't get to watch series TV, I do have Monday's off so I watch 24, I really like it. Then I often find myself watching Nickeloden after school, Jimmy Neutron (Steve Oedekerk, has some very funny cartoons the whole thumb series), Sponge Bob, and on an off occasion I will catch Fairly Odd Parents. Although I really miss the good old Nick when it had Rocko's Modern Life, AHHH Real Monsters, Doug, and all those great shows from the early 90's. Also I'm a major Simpson, Futruama, Family Guy, and now American Dad fan. Also at night when I'm up I watch shows on Nick at Night, and Senfield. I really find myself watching shows on Nick at Night again because I was so young when most of them were on regular TV so I missed a lot of jokes.

As for movies I just watched all the Thumb Movies and Garden State, there are so many movies I want to watch and so little time.

I did really enjoy Garden State, I think Zach Braif is funny, but in Garden State it was both funny and sent a message, I thought. I would watch Scrubs, but I have to work when it is on, but I used to watch when I wasn't working and I thought it was funny.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
ShadowWolfenNinj...
post May 19 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #19

Ack, Spongebob I hate to say is a show I watch sometimes and yet I still hate it. Its so evil and addicting! Like Super milk chan and Robot chicken sleep.gif the horror, the bloody horror! I miss Invader Zim. T.T (but wait I have the dvds so that didn't make much sense...) I don't get many shows on my TV. (least until I move to my dad's then I'll have 'em, Yay!) So I don't get nicktoons, Which has all those old nick shows on like Zim and rocko and them, But I have been watching old soap operas with my aunt for some odd reason. O.o

--------------------

+Quote Post
patback87
post May 20 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #20

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

wow, I just watched the final CSI episode, it was really good, Quenten Territeno (SP?) is really good, I know most people think he is wierd but I think his works are interesting.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 21 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #21

I've been working on some web-design recently, so last night I watched 'Sean of the Dead' and 'Equilibrium' while I was working. Both are fantastic films!

Currently I've got Jet Li's 'The One' playing in a small window. It's a good film that could have been a lot better if they weren't aiming for a PG-13 rating. I think one of the things that made 'The Crow' as enjoyable as it is was that they didn't bother to santise the violence. 'The One' has that feel about it. Everyone groans and rolls over whenever they get hit, just so you know they're not dead. I love films with lots of energy, and it really takes the impact out when get you the feeling that the supernaturally strong psychotic bad-guys can't even casually dispense of the security guards.

That said, it's got the martial arts Sing-Yi and Pa-gua in it (both of which are not very famous in the west, so there is no standardised spelling yet). They're really great forms to watch, and Jet Li is poetry in motion.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
ShadowWolfenNinj...
post May 22 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #22

I SAW STAR WARS YESTERDAY! Sorry....I had to say it V.V...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 25 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #23

Has anyone else been watching Revelations? It's all a bit scary-Christian for me, but interesting also to see what America might swallow as entertainment.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 26 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #24

Sues and I have just started rewatching the series 'Dark Angel' on DVD. It's about a genetically engineered kid who has escaped with 11 others from a military lab and then grown up in a post-financial-apocalypse world. She runs around helping people and kicking bad guys while trying to find the others that she escaped with. It's good, post-cyberpunk fun, and it helps that pretty much all the cast are great eye-candy biggrin.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
ShadowWolfenNinj...
post May 27 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #25

I watching one of my first ever animes I saw when I was like......3, Still got it on VHS, It's My neighbor tortro...

--------------------

+Quote Post

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 09:29 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!