Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side Banner - Sorry
Mata
post May 21 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'm into full disclosure about decisions that impact on your experience of this site. As you've probably already noticed, there's now a banner on the side of the forums as well as the one right up at the top (which I suspect everyone has been ignoring completely anyway!), so I felt I should let you know why that's there.

There are several reasons, so here they are:

China. If you haven't paid any attention to the news for the last six months then you won't have noticed that China is making a lot of business people very nervous, and places like the US and Japan are getting annoyed that China is very good at making good quality but low-priced items. Such items include the Little goth Girl merchandise (and yes, I do know that they're not being made in a sweatshop). This means that various places around the world that might previously have wanted to stock my things are waiting to see if trade embargoes are put in place on textile products (one of the main things that China does particularly well). Today... Well, it's gone 2am here, so yesterday I heard that the chances of my merchandise getting into the US or Japan any time soon aren't very high.

There is a retail 'slow down' in the UK at the moment. Everyone is denying that it's a recession, but for my purposes it doesn't matter either way. It's the small shops that get hit the hardest because they don't have a huge bank roll to help them coast over downward blips. The small shops are the ones that stock my things, so that means they order less items. Less items, less money for Mata, less money for Mata's rent.

The banners.
£49.69 for April (60k 468's & 18k skys) and the US network will pay $28.75 (45k 468's & 33k skys) into our account for US traffic
That was for around two weeks last month. The US networks pay about a third less than the UK ones. As you can see in the figures, the '468's (which are the small banners at the top of the screen) in the UK got 60 thousand hits, but the sky banners (the tall ones, 'skyscrapers') only got 18 thousand. This reason is that simply there were an extra 42 thousand hits from the forums on the 468s. It appears that people in the US watch the animations more per-person than the UK people, but I get a lot less money for the US views. If it were the other way around then it wouldn't make much difference to lose those 42k UK sky views, but those are the ones that make a difference to the final numbers.

I don't have time with my PhD nearly its end to go and get normal work or even to reopen my shop, so the only solution is to try and make more money with the resources that I have, and that's why there are now banners on the side of the forums.

'Hope you all understand.

As always, if you ever get a really annoying one on there (lots of flashing, or noises when you're not doing anything to it) then please let me know. I consider the banners a necessary evil, but they remain basically evil and so I want to minimise the effect that they have on your experience of this place.

Like I've said before, on the plus side this does mean that I get to take away money from corporations who normally will fight tooth and claw to hold onto it.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ravein
post May 21 2005, 02:29 AM
Post #2

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

Is it just my laptop/browser or is that side banner causing the forum frames to shrink up to the left? This is just happening tonight. I was just wondering if it was the advertising feed or my laptop. I did monk around with my laptop tonight.

I have no problem with whatever you do man. You have been nice enough to put this place together and maintain it. You gave so many people an outlet to express themselves *queue sappy soap opera music* I have been on this forum pretty much since week one. I have watched it grow and change, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. Either way you have created a wonderful forum and I support whatever changes you need to make.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
oscarhilton
post May 21 2005, 08:09 AM
Post #3

Don't do that.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,683

I don’t really mind if its for a good course... but isn't there a better place for it like err.... at the bottom of every other 10 posts or something... just it cant be seen easily and shifts the entire page to the left... Other than that though im ok with whatever

--------------------
Oscar.

who was e-kighted by Jimijimi, Sir Oscar. ...

My Webpage

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 21 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #4

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

QUOTE (Mata @ May 21 2005, 02:23 AM)
China. If you haven't paid any attention to the news for the last six months then you won't have noticed that China is making a lot of business people very nervous, and places like the US and Japan are getting annoyed that China is very good at making good quality but low-priced items. Such items include the Little goth Girl merchandise (and yes, I do know that they're not being made in a sweatshop). This means that various places around the world that might previously have wanted to stock my things are waiting to see if trade embargoes are put in place on textile products (one of the main things that China does particularly well). Today... Well, it's gone 2am here, so yesterday I heard that the chances of my merchandise getting into the US or Japan any time soon aren't very high.

Yes that kind of a very sore point at the moment.
Cath = part of the retail trade
Retail trade = sending stuff to be made in china = Cath no job! mad.gif

I dont blame you in the slightest Mata as I've said in other threads I cant afford to donate so I cant complain and I do lurk round this place kinda alot so do what you need.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post May 21 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #5

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

Ah, wish I'd looked and seen this post before whining in the other thread.

It is _highly_ annoying, but of course I understand your reasons. If it didn't alter the layout of the forums it wouldn't be so bad.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post May 21 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #6

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I didn't notice anything. I can't see any banners on the sides, but I can now see the little shift. It's not very big, I don't mind. I did notice though that the text had been centred...

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 21 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #7

If anyone else can work out how to do this without messing with the layout so much then please let me know, because frankly I have no idea how else to do it.

If I put it at the very bottom of the page then that would mean scrolling to the end of the page would put all the useful options off of it, and as far as I know there's no way to have the first couple of posts wrap around the banner, leaving the rest of the page intact. Like I say, if anyone else can work out how to do this then please let me know, but sadly I do need the income so I've got to have them there.

Personally I think we'll all get used to it very quickly, but it would be nice if some sort of wrapping arrangement could be worked out so they had mininal impact on the layout.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
oscarhilton
post May 21 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #8

Don't do that.

maybe the other side fixed into the page layout giving a space just for adds or something.... or keep it where it is but make it look ententional

--------------------
Oscar.

My Webpage

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 21 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #9

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Could you clarify a bit please?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 21 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #10

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

I think what oscarhilton means is that as it is, it's obvious from the page layout that the forums were originally intended to take up the full screen, and the ad was added later, which makes it look kind of messy.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post May 21 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

The page looks fine on my screen, and I really hadn't noticed the banner till I read this thread!

It doesn't make me want to go vist sky though, anymore than the others gave me a desperate urge to click on them, but perhaps I'm immune to advertising.

Its like junk mail, I deliberatly go out of my way to NOT buy from any organisation that sends me junk mail.
I applied for a new credit card the other day, & I made sure it wasn't capital one as I get junk from them all the time. So their advertising is actually working against them.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 21 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #12

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

QUOTE (beleraphon @ May 21 2005, 05:50 PM)
The page looks fine on my screen, and I really hadn't noticed the banner till I read this thread!

Really? On my screen - as, apparently, on everyone else's - the forums have shifted about an inch and a half to the left.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
oscarhilton
post May 21 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #13

Don't do that.

QUOTE (Mata @ May 21 2005, 03:21 PM)
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Could you clarify a bit please?

yeah sorry i just read what i wrote and it doen' t make any sence smile.gif
basicly make it fit into the posts or something just to keep it from shifting.

--------------------
Oscar.

My Webpage

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post May 21 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #14

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

You could do something similar to the frame you get on those yahoo free sites. They have this annoying frame that comes up on the right, but that doesn't scroll with the rest of the page. That way you could stick the ad in the frame, and still have the forums working normally in the left.

...No idea how it's done though.

Example!

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 21 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #15

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ May 21 2005, 04:30 PM)
I think what oscarhilton means is that as it is, it's obvious from the page layout that the forums were originally intended to take up the full screen, and the ad was added later, which makes it look kind of messy.

In this respect, it'd look neater to have the right hand margin of the forums shift over slightly too - to make it symmetrical with the left. But that would reduce the size of the threads even more so.

*shrug*

Either way, I'm happy for Mata to make some extra cash - thus keeping the site running. I'm sure we'd all be moaning a lot more if we were getting messages like: "This site has exceeded its bandwidth limitations for the day, please come back again tomorrow".

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post May 21 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #16

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Like I said in the other thread, the annoying thing is the empty space, when you can see the ad you can see it's ment to be like that but the ad is halfway down a page and the pages on these forums can get pretty long so the empty space makes the whole page look a little lop-sided or wonky.

Also the
"> The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life" bit at the top of the page is cental where is used to be alligned to the left which looked much better I think.

Still it's your site, you need the money, anyone who doesn't like it can leave or get a sock full of half-bricks around the head (...forget the name...Morporkian...somethings unsure.gif )

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post May 22 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #17

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

I don't have any problems with it actually.

The white space is probably the most distracting thing but I'm already half used to it. The shifting to the left is a bit of a nucence but thats just another case of adjustment too.

Just say to yourself, Mata + Cash = More Animations, works for me.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 22 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ May 21 2005, 10:03 PM)
You could do something similar to the frame you get on those yahoo free sites. They have this annoying frame that comes up on the right, but that doesn't scroll with the rest of the page. That way you could stick the ad in the frame, and still have the forums working normally in the left.

...No idea how it's done though.

Example!

Well, what we've got now is actually very much like that, except without so much annoying stuff to the right. The Left column is about the same size as the avatar column, meaning that the masseages are apporoximately in the middle of the screnn, more so than they ever have been before.

As I've said, if I felt I had an option in this I would take the other one, but sometimes you just have to suckle on that corporate teat. I'll merrily take their money and still not subscribe to Sky. If Sky helps pay my rent, then that's just a good thing in my books.

I did change the background of the forums to a different colour but, for no reason I could ascertain, it changed a few other things for the worst, so I decided that big blank areas were best. As I've said before, if anyone can work out a better solution then I'd be very happy to hear it but at the moment this simple HTML hack is all I can think of.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post May 22 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 374

Maybe it's me, but I see no banner at all. The only thing I can tell is that something is different, but I dunno what. Am I that unobservant?

+Quote Post
oscarhilton
post May 22 2005, 06:54 AM
Post #20

Don't do that.

nothing really just that a new banner is added to the far right of the page moving the fayout slightly.

--------------------
Oscar.

My Webpage

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 22 2005, 11:17 AM
Post #21

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

Perhaps it would be possible to make the banner look like more of a part of the forum. In other words, give it a table of its own with the same similar style to the thread. i.e.... a blue-ish backgrounded long cell down the edge with the darker blue border. Perhaps even giving it an 'Advertising' title, so it fits with the thread sitting next to it. If you see what I mean?

Hmm...

Okay, rather than try to explain with words... this is what I mean:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/Hobbe...sc/mataidea.jpg

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post May 22 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #22

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Oddly enough... I don't see the banners. I see the Amazon searchboxes at the bottom, but no ads. blink.gif So I'd click 'em if I could, and I see how they could be annoying, but whatever you need to keep the site going. smile.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
oscarhilton
post May 22 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #23

Don't do that.

i like hobbes' idea. How did you get that picture anyway?

--------------------
Oscar.

My Webpage

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post May 22 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #24

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

I assume it's photoshopped. Personally I think the current arrangement is fine. Much less annoying smile.gif.

Edit: Just a thought, you seem to have space on the side there for two banners at minimum. While you require the money (and if it wouldn't screw the forum up), then perhaps you could stick another skyscraper underneath the sky one. I mean, it's not going to make it any more annoying, so while you have to have banners you may as well make use of the wasted space, no?

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
little_bear
post May 22 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #25

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Gah! The forum is all squished! This maketh me sad. sad.gif

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 10:08 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!