Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's Wrong With Gaming?
CommieBastard
post May 31 2005, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

For those of you who don't read Pointless Waste of Time (warning: strong language and adult content), they recently posted an article called A Gamer's Manifesto: 20 things gamers want from the seventh generation of game consoles.

A lot of what they said hit home with me; some excerpts I particularly agreed with:

2. Give us a genre of game we've never seen before. Something that's not an FPS or an RPG or Madden NFL or...

Why isn't a there a spy game where we actually get to be a real spy rather than a hallway-roving kill machine? You know, where we actually have to talk to contacts and extract information and tap phones and piece together clues, a game full of exotic locales and deception and backstabbing and subplots? A game where a gun is used as often as a real spy would use it (that is, almost never)?

Where's the game where we're a castaway on a deserted island and the object of the game is to find food and clean water and build a shelter, a game where we can play for one month or six months, because whether or not we get rescued is randomized? Where every time we restart we get a different island with different wildlife and vegetation and water sources?

Where's the game where we play a salty Southern lawyer who has to piece together evidence to exonerate a black man falsely accused of murder, breaking down witnesses and spotting inconsistencies in testimony?

Developers will be shocked one day when they notice that the world is full of women. It's true! More than half of your potential customer base are penisless. They have money. They like doing fun things. And yet, how do you think they feel when they play a game where the heroine looks like this:

Yeah, that's what she wears into battle. Thong-length kimono, no bra for those flopping DDD breasts.

And this is years after analysts told developers that women would happily play games if they didn't feel so objectified by them, and several decades past the point where they should have even needed to be told that. Have you guys ever met a woman? Then why don't you try making just a few games that don't play off of a 14 year-old male's idea of womanhood on the apparent hope that he'll play the game one-handed?

Any thoughts on this?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post May 31 2005, 11:12 AM
Post #2

: P>

Member No.: 991

I pretty much agree with most of that. The games industry has become a bit like hollywood - churning out better looking rehashes of the same old crap year after with less and less depth all because people will buy these games regardless of how awful they become.

Why take a risk and make something creative that a few people will really enjoy when you can rehash something you've already made and a million idiots will go out and buy it?]

Personally I'm rather interested in doing independant games development. I like games and I enjoy programming and can do a lot of graphics stuff too which is helpful but I really hate the way the games industry works.

This is a rather interesting article about independant games development and the conditions in the games industry at the moment with some interesting ideas:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/scratch.php (likewise with the strong language and rather a lot of anger)

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 31 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (moop @ May 31 2005, 12:12 PM)
Personally I'm rather interested in doing independant games development. I like games and I enjoy programming and can do a lot of graphics stuff too which is helpful but I really hate the way the games industry works.

Ever since playing the brilliant Uplink and Darwinia by Introversion Software, a company consisting of three blokes (now four) programming from their bedrooms, I'm becoming convinced that independent development will save us all. Go to it, good sir Moop!

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 31 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

A programmer friend of mine was at E3 and found that she, while enjoying it, was enjoying it less every year that she goes. Here's my response to what she wrote:

It's intriguing to see that the industry is getting tired of E3.

I read a UK magazine called 'Edge'. It is a games magazine that is very
directly targeted at adults and is not shy about publishing six-page
articles analysing game-production culture. Reading that next month
would contain coverage of E3 I couldn't help but feel a little annoyed.
I know it's a very important event, but it seems that the ratio of
useful information to dull background noise is making the job of
reporters increasingly difficult. When there are so many thousands of
people, and seemingly as many games being shown, then it is hard to
believe that the most important titles are being covered or that the
ones that are shown are given the amount of time that they deserve.

From the narrowing of this ratio it simply seems that E3 is becoming
increasingly hostile to the production of useful games coverage.

Judging by what you say, it seems likely that the best strategy for
survival is the one that it looks like you've adopted: get a few target
games that you're interested in the the development of and then
focussing on getting time with those, then treating the rest of it as a
social event. That's probably the most useful way for a visitor to
handle it, but it still doesn't make it any easier for journalists to
find the most interesting new games, which then negates the importance
of the event for people like me because we don't get the coverage that
would be most useful to us.

In another regard, this problem does have a more direct impact on the
consumer. If a game company spends $1m on a stall to promote a game that
sells a million copies then obviously each consumer is spending one
dollar on that event alone. Many games won't sell one million copies, so
the prices are kept high by the cost of marketing.

This is just an outsider's view on the event, but even as a reader I
find the array of information daunting and essentially next-to useless
as it becomes white noise of third-person samurai/ninjas, first-person
'tactical' shooters, and an occasional quirky game that gets lost in the
fray. If it's daunting even after the translation and ordering of
journalists then I'd hate to think what it's like for people who are there!

I know it seems a little off-topic, but my basic point is that the small, interesting games are very rarely getting the coverage that they need, or are even likely to be able to find that coverage at the kind of events where they should be being given the most attention. I'm pleased that the GDC is becoming bigger because that seems to actually be really interested in finding something new.

There has been a game like the spy one described in the quote at the top of this thread. It was called 'Hacker' and came out on the ZX Spectrum 48k. There were pretty much no instructions and you had to work it all out for yourself, find your own way to get the information from the game, and piece together clues about what was going on from shady informants all around the world. I loved it, and I don't think there's been anything like it since.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post May 31 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #5

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,105

Read the article, actually I was kicking around making a topic on it myself. I agree with a lot of them, Hell, I've been saying it for years. Don't get me wrong - everyone here can attest that I love my favorite series (Viewtiful Joe and Devil May Cry are pretty straight forward, but I love them anyway.) Still, I'd like to see innovation in gameplay (Katamari was pretty nice) but let's face it - those never sell well because companies aren't willing to go whole hog for them what with advertising and what have you.

The next generation of consoles... I simply want to see things get better from here. I'd like a higher emphasis on story and style (even if it is pure action, VJ's style is undeniable.) Bad voice acting and poorly written and recorded music is inexcuasable as are shoddy graphics and unresponsive controls.

In short, new things are nice, but I want perfection of what we have first.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post May 31 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #6

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

I mean, seriously, ever since "the Guy Game" and "Leisure Suit Larry" for the ps2 came out, gameplay pretty much took a nosedive, and expletives skyrocketed. The true "decline of video games".

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 1 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ May 31 2005, 06:59 PM)
The next generation of consoles...  I simply want to see things get better from here.  I'd like a higher emphasis on story and style (even if it is pure action, VJ's style is undeniable.)  Bad voice acting and poorly written and recorded music is inexcuasable as are shoddy graphics and unresponsive controls.

In short, new things are nice, but I want perfection of what we have first.

Just to make a change... I couldn't disagree with you more! biggrin.gif

I don't care about 'perfecting' what we already have. People all have individual tastes, so as far as storytelling goes in regards to gameplay it might be that things have gone very nearly as far as things can go.

I think we need new ideas rather than refinement of old ones. Refinement just leads to more of the same. A shark is pretty much the ultimate evolution of a hunting fish but there has been pretty much no change in it for millions of years. I like change! I want to play new things! I think we might finally be reaching the point of sophistication where we can claim that we might have seen classics. I think that something like Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will stand up well in terms of gameplay and story telling for a long time yet, but such refinement will not work in the favour of many games, instead it will produce a constant steam of games that are like one-another. This is what we alredy have, and mostly they are undistinguished.

We need innovation beyond refinement, because I think it's thourgh innovation that the [i]real]/i] refinement happens. POP is only as good as it is because of the work done on fighting and movement in other games, and also due to the use of influence from other media (such as Jackie Chan films). The innovation created something new for platform games that feels like refinement, but is really innovation.

I don't want something 'better', I want something new, even if the 'new' aspect is just a novel twist.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Jun 2 2005, 02:09 AM
Post #8

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

There are truly few people willing to make the leap into a new unexplored genre. When there is no forerunner it is hard to see where the money is. And ultimately, that is what it comes down to.

But it does happen. I am coming from a PC background though.
Baldurs Gate revitalised the RPG scene.
Fallout gave a real world scummy depth that was lacking.
Sacrifice brought an intriguing twist to Strategy games.
Black and White created a emotional dialoge between player and game that was rather ingenius. As well as the method of actually intereacting in that world, with the movements of the mouse creating actions not the actual instigation of commands.

Games today just seem to use the same tried and tested gameplay mechanics to include the gamer. Theres been no real development in gameply for quite a while. Not in any meaningful way at least.

It's almost as if we have reached the limits of emmersement that we can with technology... at least in how to manipulate computer generated worlds.

As fore genre's... independant games really seem to be the only way to go. Big companies will stick to what they know, and people will keep buying it.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Jun 2 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #9

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

REZ is a really innovative game, it's really out there, but it's kinda hard to get your hands on.

It's not for the epileptic, I'll give ya that.

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 3 2005, 08:27 AM
Post #10

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (arachnidoc17 @ Jun 2 2005, 10:35 PM)
REZ is a really innovative game, it's really out there, but it's kinda hard to get your hands on.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Rez to bits, but innovative? Have you never heard of Space Harrier?

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 3 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Jonman @ Jun 3 2005, 09:27 AM)
Don't get me wrong, I loved Rez to bits, but innovative? Have you never heard of Space Harrier?

Or Space Invaders, for that matter...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 3 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #12

The visual style and the connection between the images and the music was innovative though. Innovation doesn't mean you have to reinvent everything. Technically it would have been more innovative if the little character was controlled by a nose mounted device, but you've got to work with what is a sensible thing to change and what is a tradition for good reason.

Rez is a good example of what I would like to see more of: yes, it was a Space Harrier clone, but it had something new added into the mix that made it feel entirely fresh. You don't have to change everything to have something feel innovative, just try something a bit different. I enjoy the Rachett & Clank games, but there's really very little new in them. I don't play that sort of game and expect to be surprised, but wouldn't it be nice if there was a more healthy mix of something old and something new?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jun 3 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #13

Then by your definition, Mata, wouldn't Viewtiful Joe be innovative? That style of cel shading had AT MOST been used by Comix Zone on the Sega Genesis, but Joe takes it to extremes and perfection. Also uses the powers and what have you quite nicely - if nothing else, 'Joe is unique, and thus innovative, yeah?

I'm rambling, point is is that I like Viewtiful Joe.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 3 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #14

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (mata)
The visual style and the connection between the images and the music was innovative though. Innovation doesn't mean you have to reinvent everything.

Granted. But wouldn't it be nice if it did? Like Super Mario 64 did? Turning a genre onto it's head

QUOTE (PWMike)
Then by your definition, Mata, wouldn't Viewtiful Joe be innovative? That style of cel shading had AT MOST been used by Comix Zone on the Sega Genesis, but Joe takes it to extremes and perfection. Also uses the powers and what have you quite nicely - if nothing else, 'Joe is unique, and thus innovative, yeah?

VJ innovative? Ermm, I think not. Graphically innovative? Yeah, definitiely. Otherwise, all the features are derivative: time controls nicked from Blinx (without even the good grace to include the Record function), and otherwise a thoroughly derivative (and very old-skool) basic game mechanic.

That's not to say that it's not good. The problem is that it's games like VJ, which aren't particularly innovative at all, that are held up as paragons of new and exciting game design. When they're clearly not.

Eyetoy on the other hand - innovative as they come.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 3 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #15

Eyetoy I think is a good example here: great fun for a few hours. It works well in company because that is another aspect of the innovation - it is specifically designed for social gaming.

However, most Eyetoy games are one-trick ponies. It is innovation for the sake of innovation, which is very useful for the industry, but there hasn't yet been a really good use of it. Personally I think what it really needs is a decent zoom function and a better suite of image-recognition tools. There cannot be a great singleplayer game for it until it stops forcing you to flail constantly, if a zoom were installed, and a pair of gloves with highly reflective finger-tips came with it then you would be able to play games while sitting down, leading to a form of interaction more akin to that seen in Minority Report. I think that this is where the next gen will be going with it, but until then it's innovation without a cause. The reason it sold so well was precisely because the startling nature of the innovation was so great that everyone wanted to use it more, but how many of you often play with your Eyetoy games?

VJ is fun, but I agree with Jon, the game mechanics are very traditional. In some ways though it felt like innovation, because we have become so distanced from old-school gaming. I applaud the visuals, but, like the Eyetoy, they need the game behind the innovation to be solid too, and I'm not convinced that without the very nice visual trickery that the game was really there.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Museum Girl
post Jun 3 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #16

GLITTER!!!!!

Member No.: 1,697

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ May 31 2005, 10:31 AM)
For those of you who don't read Pointless Waste of Time (warning: strong language and adult content), they recently posted an article called A Gamer's Manifesto: 20 things gamers want from the seventh generation of game consoles.

A lot of what they said hit home with me; some excerpts I particularly agreed with:

2. Give us a genre of game we've never seen before. Something that's not an FPS or an RPG or Madden NFL or...

Why isn't a there a spy game where we actually get to be a real spy rather than a hallway-roving kill machine? You know, where we actually have to talk to contacts and extract information and tap phones and piece together clues, a game full of exotic locales and deception and backstabbing and subplots? A game where a gun is used as often as a real spy would use it (that is, almost never)?

Where's the game where we're a castaway on a deserted island and the object of the game is to find food and clean water and build a shelter, a game where we can play for one month or six months, because whether or not we get rescued is randomized? Where every time we restart we get a different island with different wildlife and vegetation and water sources?

Where's the game where we play a salty Southern lawyer who has to piece together evidence to exonerate a black man falsely accused of murder, breaking down witnesses and spotting inconsistencies in testimony?

Sorry but I would just hate most of those games. If I wanted something like that I would read a novel. They sound either like rehashed Sims or Final Fantasy but without the good bits.

Developers will be shocked one day when they notice that the world is full of women. It's true! More than half of your potential customer base are penisless. They have money. They like doing fun things. And yet, how do you think they feel when they play a game where the heroine looks like this:

Yeah, that's what she wears into battle. Thong-length kimono, no bra for those flopping DDD breasts.

And this is years after analysts told developers that women would happily play games if they didn't feel so objectified by them, and several decades past the point where they should have even needed to be told that. Have you guys ever met a woman? Then why don't you try making just a few games that don't play off of a 14 year-old male's idea of womanhood on the apparent hope that he'll play the game one-handed?

Any thoughts on this?

Speaking as one of the penisless ones, and for all my penisless friends who game. We like those costumes. They're fun and unrealistic, they're aesthetically pleasing. We design charactors wearing similar costumes and we make our own for halloween party's. It's not misogonystic just because you can see her breasts and legs and it doesn't put me off gaming (what puts me off is that I am rubbish). We may complain about them to the penised oens but that is because your male and if we don't complain you get uppity.

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Jun 4 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #17

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

If you want a good Spy game, dig up Spycraft: The Great Game.

It's an 'Intereactive Movie' sort of game from years back where they tried the genre, but it's not bad. There's not much shooting. It mostly involves interrogating people, gathering clues, and using funky tools to analyse those clues.

Puzzles are quite tricky. Just don't expect to play it again after you've completed it...

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jun 4 2005, 01:14 AM
Post #18

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Speaking as one of the penisless ones, and for all my penisless friends who game. We like those costumes. They're fun and unrealistic, they're aesthetically pleasing. We design charactors wearing similar costumes and we make our own for halloween party's. It's not misogonystic just because you can see her breasts and legs and it doesn't put me off gaming (what puts me off is that I am rubbish). We may complain about them to the penised oens but that is because your male and if we don't complain you get uppity.

Well, I'm sure that some girls do like those costumes... but there are a lot of girls who don't and do feel that it's objectifying. Now I don't play a lot of video games (pretty much Tetris and Mario games on a crappy old N64), but I scoff at some outfits I've seen in advertisements... I know I'd prefer to have female characters wearing something a little more reasonable. So while you may enjoy those outfits, there's a whole lot of people who don't. By having both examples, they'd be servicing both markets.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Museum Girl
post Jun 4 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #19

GLITTER!!!!!

QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jun 4 2005, 02:14 AM)
Speaking as one of the penisless ones, and for all my penisless friends who game. We like those costumes. They're fun and unrealistic, they're aesthetically pleasing. We design charactors wearing similar costumes and we make our own for halloween party's. It's not misogonystic just because you can see her breasts and legs and it doesn't put me off gaming (what puts me off is that I am rubbish). We may complain about them to the penised ones but that is because your male and if we don't complain you get uppity.

Well, I'm sure that some girls do like those costumes... but there are a lot of girls who don't and do feel that it's objectifying. Now I don't play a lot of video games (pretty much Tetris and Mario games on a crappy old N64), but I scoff at some outfits I've seen in advertisements... I know I'd prefer to have female characters wearing something a little more reasonable. So while you may enjoy those outfits, there's a whole lot of people who don't. By having both examples, they'd be servicing both markets.

This is true and I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm sick of people going "omg misogeny!!11111! No girls game because of sexist outfits," because that's not true. Some girls like the sexist outfits.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jun 4 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Museum Girl @ Jun 4 2005, 11:15 PM)
This is true and I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm sick of people going "omg misogeny!!11111! No girls game because of sexist outfits," because that's not true. Some girls like the sexist outfits.

But that doesn't mean it's not sexist. One single woman (or even many women) approving of something doesn't mean it's not sexist. I've heard women claiming that a man has the right to force his wife to have sex with him. It's still sexist even if women approve.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Museum Girl
post Jun 4 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #21

GLITTER!!!!!

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jun 4 2005, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (Museum Girl @ Jun 4 2005, 11:15 PM)

But that doesn't mean it's not sexist. One single woman (or even many women) approving of something doesn't mean it's not sexist. I've heard women claiming that a man has the right to force his wife to have sex with him. It's still sexist even if women approve.

Thing is I don't think it is sexist, it's not like nude portraits are considered sexist; and just because this isn't "art" makes it sexist? I don't think female charactors have to wear a hessian sack for it not to be sexist, or that they have to wear frumpy clothes. The mad unrealistic outfits are part of the fun. It's only sexist if it demeans women and I really don't think it does (unlike the woman who says that men have the right to force their wives).

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post Jun 5 2005, 01:40 AM
Post #22

My cute little Aislinn!

Member No.: 1,123

Someone who complains about what the women look like in the games, obviously doesn't care about the game. Should men start complaining because some men in games are portrayed as wild blood thirsty beasts? I'm straight and I'm a female, and I like the skimpy outfits...Infact I'm more willing to play an almost skin clad female character rather than a less sexy one, unless that char most definately has better stats. wink.gif

--------------------
"I can kill catering with a thought!" - Darth Vader

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jun 5 2005, 03:58 AM
Post #23

Let's face it, children... men and women both are potrayed unrealistically and sexily in video games. Meh without shirts ripped out all the way, sexy bishonen boys... girls and boys both!

And let's face it... I can't think of a female version of Voldo! That in and of itself is enough to make everything even!

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 5 2005, 04:12 AM
Post #24

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

I'm much more likely to play a sexy, fully-clothed female character than a "boobs swinging in the breeze, hemline next to panty line" character, but if there's no sensibly dressed characters available that's not going to make me not play the game. But I do know a good few girls who would be too offended to play. I deffinitely think the game designers should work in models that show less skin.

Really, on my list of things that bugs me about games today, this ranks at the very bottom of the list. Bugs that go un-fixed in MMOs and poor tech support and customer service are at the top.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 5 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #25

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jun 5 2005, 04:58 AM)
Let's face it, children...  men and women both are potrayed unrealistically and sexily in video games.  Meh without shirts ripped out all the way, sexy bishonen boys...  girls and boys both!

And let's face it...  I can't think of a female version of Voldo!  That in and of itself is enough to make everything even!

On the other hand, there are a few games that do feature ordinarily dressed (although still quite slinky) women as the heroes.

This game, Beyond Good & Evil, actually felt really refreshing, becuase the lead character (featured above) was not a sex-kitten.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 07:52 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!