IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm so so so screwed...., Randy's computer's dead and mine's dying
Feyliya
post Jun 14 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #1

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 380

So I was playing Guild Wars with my friends Jess and Brent today. We were doing the Gates of Kryta mission when suddenly the computer siezed up. I thought the video card had just overheated and was re-setting itself, so I sat back and waited a bit for the screen to blink and the rendering to catch up. And I waited.....and I waited....

Then I noticed that I couldn't move the mouse at all... So I figured that the computer had frozen up entirely for some reason and I hit the power button and shut it off. Then I left it for a bit to cool off before I tried to turn it back on.

Then, when I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't boot. There's no sign that the computer is even there at all. And I don't know what to do. I know that whatever happened probably isn't my fault, but I just don't know what to tell Randy when he comes home and finds his baby dead..... I don't even know what happened. I'm freaking out so badly....

Gods...this probably belongs in the Tech part of the forum, but it's more me freaking out and venting than anything else.....

*edit
On second thought, this does belong in Tech Support. Mods, can someone please move it? Thanks ahead of time.

::resumes mentally beating myself up::

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jun 14 2005, 05:52 AM
Post #2

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Happy to move it for you, I'm sure our tech wizards can help.

+Quote Post
Pab
post Jun 14 2005, 09:02 AM
Post #3

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Well, not much to go on there, but I doubt using the on/off button is considered a crime. I can't think of anything that would specifically cause a machine to freeze but stay on, and then be completely unresponsive when turning it back on. It sounds more like more than one thing happening at the same time.

All I can suggest is:

- if there was ANY moving of the box involved at ANY time, including the occasional kick with foot and such, to check that all cards are seated nicely by taking off casing and sort of pushing them about a bit.

- stare distrustingly at the transformer in the back where the visible fan is, and consider having to replace it, although this doesnt make immediate sense.

- wait for the other geeks to stop by here and come up with something

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 14 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #4

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

I have no decent advice for you, but I feel your pain - same thing happened to me yesterday.

Unhealthy PCs suck.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Jun 14 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #5

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Member No.: 346

I could talk you through PC fault diagnosis, but that wouldn't help if your unwilling to take the case off it...

So how confident are you are around electronics and we can start from there....

Few easy ones, are any of the fans spinning at all? any clunks, clicks, whirrs or buzzes?

Do you have access to a second PSU for testing? any spare equipment/cards? a second PC?

Has it been playing up for a while or making strange noises (which may have gone away recently)?

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jun 14 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #6

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Distract him? Make dinner (not pizza 0o), run him a bath, night in front of the TV then some quality time?

Might work, untill they magically behave?

In all seriousness, be honest I guess. Hope they havent gone tits up hun. Oh, and I have no idea what's the matter.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
ravein
post Jun 14 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #7

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

*this part is optional, but actually works most of the time*
Lift computer about three to four inches from the floor, and release suddenly... wait for satisfying smack sound.

Check cords and reboot. Just from what you described I would say it sounds like a power supply short or system board.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 15 2005, 03:28 AM
Post #8

Well Randy came home and immediately started tearing into the case. After he stripped it down he reassembled it. Amazingly it came to life; that's better than I could have done.

But he cried... either the CPU or the RAM is dead. He says they both look relatively good (no heat damage) but it won't get past the POST he says. He ordered a POST tester to find out where the problem lies. We just hope that it won't cost too much... we don't have much.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Jun 15 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #9

erk. No spare ram? (guess: no)

Is it making any beeps in post? (guess: wrong BIOS, so no)

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jun 15 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #10

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

I found a rather cool thing for testing RAM not that long ago....probably lost now but it'd be easy enough to google for, basically makes a boot disk and you just leave it for an hour or two and come back to see what it throws back at you, I found I had a problem with one dimm that way....stupid sensitive RAM...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 16 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #11

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

RAM is officially the most annoying stuff ever to get working. I hate to think how much time I spent (and then got Mr Fuzzy to spend) trying to get some RAM cards working on my machine. In the end the 'solution' was to send it back and buy top-end stuff. I now have great RAM but it cost a fortune!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Jun 17 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #12

SPS: memtest86

--------------------

- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 18 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #13

DarkInferno: no beeps because no case speaker.

SPS: Can't boot from a floppy for 2 reasons -
1) No floppy drive
2) Never starts the visual portion of POST

We have no spare RAM that is of the same specification. We have another computer, but it uses different RAM and needs another CPU.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Jun 18 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #14

it boots from a floppy or CD, (for future reference as it won't help you any this time dry.gif )

have you tested the graphics card on another board?

--------------------

- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 19 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #15

We don't have another running computer to test it on. We HAVE tried another video card in it and had the same results. It's an older model, but has only been used for about 1 hour before being put back into the box. Practically brand new.

As I've stated before, it has no floppy drive. When need be, we have several bootable CDs that we can use to start the formatting/OS reinstallation whenever the need arises.

We'll have a definitive answer on Monday/Tuesday, when the card he ordered comes in/when he has time to test.
unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jeffreygriffith
post Jun 20 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #16

More proficient guppy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,272

these guys should be able to help let me know if the do thanks
http://www.techguy.org/welcome.html

ps you will have to sign up but I guess you know that

+Quote Post
patback87
post Jun 20 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #17

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

Well I thought check for burn marks, then check your power supply and see if enough voltage is going to the board, then if it is stuck in the post listen for beeps and look for the manual, often you will get error beeps, but I'm tring to remember if that was before the POST or after. I have so much spare RAM and parts here I wish I could send it through the internet, haha. Anyway I don't know if I helped you much or if your problem is solved yet.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 20 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #18

patback: as I've previously stated, my case doesn't have a speaker, so even if it's sending the error beeps, it's not getting to the speaker.

I will be up bright and early to wait for my POST card to arrive so I can find out where the hangup is. I'm pretty sure it's my CPU, in which I'm going to threaten mwave.com for forcing me to run my computer with the case open (long story, but they've been negligent for months) with a lawsuit. Hopefully they'll cough up a new processor and we can be on our way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 20 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #19

Okay, so we get our POST card today. You can find the results here...
I'm at a loss... I was hoping to have POST code 1 (CPU)... well, not really, but it would have been simple...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Jun 30 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,870

A few things...

Turn the system on and wait a few seconds then hit reset. With some "value" motherboards this has helped for me.

Second, remove your CMOS battery for a few minutes with the power disconnected and then try to boot.

Third, find the jumper that controls your system bus speed and underclock it. Say it's 133 now, set it down to 100. Don't mess with the multiplyer, just underclock the system bus.

Before you try that you may want to unplug the molex power connectors from everything except the motherboard itself. Also, do you have an AGP video card? You may want to find some old Rage 128 PCI card or see if your motherboard has onboard video. See if it boots that way. That would feel really bad buying a whole new motherboard but the video card is the curplit. :-P

Good luck.

--------------------
...and so I close, realising that perhaps the ending, has not yet been written.

Web/BBS: http://www.ryan42.com
BBS: telnet://bbs.ryan42.com
(The Binary Cafe)

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 30 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #21

1) We've left it on for quite a while. Nothing. As for 'value board', hardly. Shuttle AN35N-400 Ultra

2) Done that, and did the j11 clear, and did the BIOS clear option. Nada

3) All bus speeds are controlled via CMOS. 400MHz FSB board.

4) Not on board video, but, as I stated above, just to be sure it's not my AGP Radeon 9100 Pro I used my Riva TNT2 AGP that I've had still in box for 2 years to prove to myself it's not the video card.

Glad you're trying to help, just would help if you actually read the steps I've already taken so that we could move forward.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jun 30 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #22

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

When you turn it on, does it just hang or does it turn itself off after a while/few seconds? Both times I've had a faulty motherboard....ok the one time I had a faulty motherboard and the other time I stabbed it very hard with a pair of scissors but that's besides the point. The point is, when the motherboard's faulty it usually (in my experience) switches itself off. Also does it come up with a logo of some sort when you turn on instead of the POST? You just press tab to get outta that.

Edit: No floppy drive? *gasp* but they're so useful!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 30 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #23

No logo, no nothing. It's just a blank screen.

Not sure how much you know about the POST system, but as the system starts up it tests everything starting from the CPU and ending with loading the operating system. What a POST card does is read the codes the motherboard sends out from off the PCI bus. When I used the POST card, it seemed to not even start the POST at all (FF = 255 = 'loading operating system'), because it has to start at 0, which is checking for CPU heartbeat (the clock cycle that keeps the CPU chugging along), and it isn't (There's no way POST could finish in 1-2 milliseconds).

The system doesn't have to act errattic to be the motherboard. That's only if something less vital either wears out or shorts out sometimes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jun 30 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #24

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jun 30 2005, 11:35 AM)
No floppy drive? *gasp* but they're so useful!

<spam>

Shuttles are too small to have floppy drives, Ste and my dad both have them huh.gif

</spam>

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Jun 30 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,870

QUOTE (Righteous @ Apr 2 2005, 02:02 PM)
I don't know about thin. I'm always afraid of losing my balance during sex and crushing the girl if she's terribly skinny. As of late, I have been attracted to smaller-framed women, though only to a certain point. As silly as it sounds, I need something on a chick that I can bite.

Don't be psychotic about your appearence. I mean, yeah look nice and take care of yourself, but if a guy doesn't like you because of your appearence, than you shouldn't be wasting your time with him.

As long as your a decent, likeable person, you should be able to get a guy. There's a lid to every pot, as someone once told me. And as for your mate, don't push it or give reason for him to feel weird and you'll be good.

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Jun 30 2005, 01:11 AM)
1) We've left it on for quite a while. Nothing. As for 'value board', hardly. Shuttle AN35N-400 Ultra

2) Done that, and did the j11 clear, and did the BIOS clear option. Nada

3) All bus speeds are controlled via CMOS. 400MHz FSB board.

4) Not on board video, but, as I stated above, just to be sure it's not my AGP Radeon 9100 Pro I used my Riva TNT2 AGP that I've had still in box for 2 years to prove to myself it's not the video card.

Glad you're trying to help, just would help if you actually read the steps I've already taken so that we could move forward.

All controlled by the CMOS... That seems quite a dangerous option, and for that point, I'm sure there must be some way to force it to take a value from *some* hardware setting.

Also, my point was suggesting you try to use a PCI video card. Not just another AGP. I have had a system (actually my neighbor's) where the AGP slot suddenly stopped working for no reason known to me. (And they also ruined all the AGP cards that were inserted the moment it was powered on.)

--------------------
...and so I close, realising that perhaps the ending, has not yet been written.

Web/BBS: http://www.ryan42.com
BBS: telnet://bbs.ryan42.com
(The Binary Cafe)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 04:35 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!