Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Digital Pens, At a loss for the technical name
LoLo
post Jun 17 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I found out today that I am getting quite a bit in financial aid for the fall and I was thinking that I would get myself a digital pen and pad for doing my art on my computer. The thing is that I'm not sure what kind to get and wanted some suggestions.

This might be something I could splurge on so price hopefully won't be too much of an issue.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Quoth(The Raven)
post Jun 17 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #2

Meow!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,296

Actually, I'd like to hear the answer to that, myself... I've long thought that the Mouse was a rather inelegant way of manipulating data, especially images. A pen would seem much more natural and intuitive, to me... and drawing with a mouse is like holding a pen with a boxing glove...

--------------------
Arthur, Gwen, and Quoth...Onwards to 4000 posts!Quoth is Cath's noob - what was she thinking?:)Duckflaps!Watch out for low flying kittens!'Dance, Monkey, Dance!' Well, this monkey don't dance no more!Never say 'die'... except as a command! I adopted Insaneperc!What kind of fool do you take me for? I don't know. How many kinds are there?

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 17 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

As in a drawing tablet? Mine is a Wacom. I bought it after having their products recommended to me by everyone I ever asked about graphics tablets!

I use a little A5 one, and I find that's more than suitable for my needs. You don't use them for navigation when they're that size, but they're fine for drawing with. They do take a good few months to get used to, but that effort does pay off.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 17 2005, 03:37 AM
Post #4

Kiefer > Jason

QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 16 2005, 06:44 PM)
As in a drawing tablet? Mine is a Wacom. I bought it after having their products recommended to me by everyone I ever asked about graphics tablets!

I use a little A5 one, and I find that's more than suitable for my needs. You don't use them for navigation when they're that size, but they're fine for drawing with. They do take a good few months to get used to, but that effort does pay off.

Yes a drawing tablet!

I've used them in art courses in the past and have wanted one for a long time because I've found my work comes out much better that way and since I'm doing the graphic design thing for school, it's a good tool for me to have.

I wonder if I can get it on amazon.....hmmmmm, *scrolls down and searches*

I won't be able to buy it until August when I get my aid, but I will be getting it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jun 17 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #5

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I'd have to say Wacom is highly reccomended too, Lo. Another name for it is a tableaux and stylus.

edit: I think tableaux is plural unsure.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Jun 18 2005, 01:27 PM
Post #6

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 17 2005, 02:44 AM)
Mine is a Wacom. I bought it after having their products recommended to me by everyone I ever asked about graphics tablets!

I use a little A5 one, and I find that's more than suitable for my needs.

A5 is small? I see your point, but it may be worth noting that graphics tablets, particularly Wacoms (who are considered the market leaders), are expensive, and as far as getting one for home use goes, A5 is probably about standard, since you do get A6 jobbies as well.

Also: while they may be more expensive, it might be worth getting a nice (i.e. a Wacom) tablet, as the cheapy one I have currently skips quite a bit, and the 'absolute' positioning is more 'absolute when the tablet feels like it'. I have it on good authority that Wacoms hardly skip, though I can't really put an opinion on that in, as mine is still in the post.

eBay can help you when it comes to cost.

Edit: The Cintiq 15X looks cool. As does the Cintiq 18X (for that that little extra 'splurge'). tongue.gif

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 19 2005, 05:03 AM
Post #7

Kiefer > Jason

Thanks Poofie. I was planning on splurging on this, but after finding out that I probably also have to splurge on buying myself yet another computer, I guess I'll find out how much I can spend on the tablet then.

I'm a bit annoyed with finding out I need to get a Mac for my major, but I should still be able to afford one and a nice tablet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 27 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #8

I'm guessing that it was you that bought a tablet through Amazon? That's a really nice piece of kit! If you ever get bored of it then I would happily take stop it from cluttering up your place biggrin.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 27 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #9

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

The title of this thread is waaaaay too easy to mis-read. It made my mod-senses tingle.

</spam>

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 27 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #10

I didn't have that problem at all. Would you like a couch to lie on?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 27 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #11

Kiefer > Jason

Nope that wasn't me because I don't get my financial aid until August, but if I can find a good one through Amazon, I will be buying one through here in August. I did however, buy a necklace recently and had my mom buy her Herbie DVDs via the links on the bottom of the page. laugh.gif

Edit to add : Which one was purchased that is so nice, so I know what to keep my eye out for. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 28 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #12

They went for this little beauty. 'Tis a rather lovely more recent version of the one that I use.

*drools*

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Erin
post Jun 29 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #13

the one that is me

Member No.: 1,578

QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 16 2005, 06:44 PM)

^^ i have a wacom tablet also. i got it not long ago becuz i needed something to do my artsy anime stuffys with. i got one thats supposed to cost like 300 something for like...a fourth of that ^^ tis awesome i must say.

--------------------
--Owner Of Lilith The black and white kitten--
--Cheesemooses Lovely noob--
--Member of the Cult Of Brother Black Sheep--
--Official Beautiful Feathery Girl Over There Erin of Tribe Wyvern--
--damned and dastardly is my noob ^^--

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Aug 6 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #14

Kiefer > Jason

It was me this time who ordered the tablet. They were on sale and I didn't have bills this week so I decided to go broke and buy myself one before I get my school money.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 09:16 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!