Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Faerie Wings, A bit of help?
Kitty
post Jul 25 2005, 03:38 AM
Post #1

Professionally Unprofessional

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 580

I dont know if any of you know that every year I go to the Renaissance Festival dressed as a cute lil faerie (aww). I makem y own costume and everything, all down to the wings. Which happens to be my problem.

My past year's wings got thrown out by a certain obsessed mother who was looking twards de-junking the house. So my wings got thrown in the trash can unbeknownst to me sad.gif

So now my problem is coming up with a new design for wings. And I'm horrible at drawing and my best friend kinda ditched me today blink.gif Sooo I didnt get my wing pattern I requested from her.

Anyway! Cut to the point. If any of you would like to take part in the creation of my wings! Feel free to draw a shape for my wings. I'm looking for something pointy and leafy but really rather small. Pixi ish. About 11 inches long for each wing.

And I'll probally be making a few pairs so if my friend happens to give me a call and give me my pattern I'll post a picture of them too tongue.gif

By the way. Anyone else here a faerie?

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jul 25 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #2

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

How about just a a curved frame at the top with chiffon in autum colour hanging from it looking a little raggy to create the leaf effect? Not sure if that makes complete sence to you but it does in my head biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Jul 25 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #3

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I have a faerie tattooed around my belly button - she has really pretty kinda' tattered looking autumn leaf type wings. I can PM you a picture if you like which may give you some ideas?

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 26 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

How's this?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jul 26 2005, 03:47 AM
Post #5

Duddeee, awesome Mata. I might do a pair like that but I'd need different wire cuz mine is.... Well, magenta. O.o

TO THE CRAFT STORE! O.O;;;

(sorry I'm really hyper....)

Oh yea, so.... Cath I totally understand what you're talking about because I've seen it done and I'd have no problem acctually making it.... And I have extra scraps of organza laying around so if I get bored one day and find sturdy enough wire for that type of thing I'll definatley make a pair tongue.gif

But for other pairs of wings I'm making I'm acctually doint something along the lines of a dream catcher, but wing shaped. If any of you have ever learned how to make a dream catcher its really easy and basically just twining wire around in circles and pulling it taut. So I'm doing that, with colored wire inside the frame of a pair of wings and for an extra bit of specialness I have Swarovski crystal beads that I'm putting in there too

O.O Teh shibby!

happy.gif

I am really sorry for my ranting and hyperness but I've had a peice of crap day and I spent the last 5 hours drinking soda, dancing, screaming and singing to Hootie And THe Blowfish so I'm a bit wired.

/rant

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jul 26 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #6

I've been brainwashed

Cool! put pictures up when you've made and with the rest of your outfit to. It'd be cool to see.

*wanders off stealing Mata's design as she wanders past*

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jul 26 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #7

I'm definatley keen on posting pictures. I like to show off O.O; probally a bad habit.... But I'm lazy and have about another month to get all my projects finished and even then I dont have to have them all done.... so my incentive on getting it done isnt very high....

And I wonder why my grades were low in school? tongue.gif

I really wish I could make Mata's wing design with the lines bold like they're drawn but I cant =(

Atleast.... not any way I've discovered for making wings yet....
*wanders off brainstorming*

--------------------

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jul 26 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #8

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

Ribbons? A nice, silky, bold black ribbon would do nicely, though I don't know what the wings are made of, so you might not be able to paste them on.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jul 26 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #9

I've been brainwashed

If you make the frame a basic leaf shape with out the spikey edges then cut chiffon (or whatever) (double layer) to the shape Mata drew then run a stich line to the shape of the frame inside the edge of the shape of the chiffon. then use fabric paint or aplique(sp?) to do the leaf veins. (Cath is unsure if she's making sence again)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jul 27 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #10

ARC and Cath both have good ideas but its still sounding too complicated tongue.gif

But I'm going to get some green colored wire soon and start messing around and seeing what I could do....

BTW, Mata, everyone I've shown so far loves your wing design tongue.gif And dad was impressed that a pair of my wings will be specificly designed by the one and only Mata! O.O;

--------------------

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Jul 29 2005, 02:40 AM
Post #11

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

have you considered making just the top of the frame (out of wire with gap filla on the sharp edges) and then sewing fabric of whatever design on so that it would flow out the bottom and would be less bulky.
I think thats how they made the wings in Ever after

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jul 29 2005, 03:11 AM
Post #12

Acctually, I have. I've seen it done and look very very nice, but my friend Lynne immediatley said "ew" at it so O.O I've been avoiding that rout.... I will eventually make a pair like that.

But currently I _have_ made a frame for the design Mata drew. The outlines on both edges of the outside and the veins are made out of wire and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it next. If I attatch fabric to it it wont look so nice, atleast not in any way I can think of doing it....

I'll show pictures of the frame once I stop being so lazy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 5 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #13

So I finally bothered to download, resize and put my pictures online. (A grand total of 3 pictures, yay....)

Soo! First is the wings I immortalized into wire:

And then theres the faerie corset I'm still working on:

My personal thought is that the top part of the corset is too small for my size chest unsure.gif but my friend and costume consultant says it looks fine *huffs*

I still need to do the grommeting and finishing the seam binding but I think it looks pretty damn awesome! Aside from the top part....

And if you're wondering about what happened to the third picture well it ended up being this:

Appy pollie loggies in advanced if the pictures are rather large

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Aug 5 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #14

That's looking great - the corset is a really classic design. biggrin.gif

As well as finished wings - we want to see the ENTIRE outfit when it's on. *noddles*

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 5 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #15

No problem ^^ More showing off for me. ! tongue.gif I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the wings.... It all gives me a headache

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Aug 5 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #16

Awww - have a butterfly, her wings wiggle:

*must stop having a drink with lunch* blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 5 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #17

I've been brainwashed

Those look brilliant. The corset looks really good but I agree with you that the top could have fitted you bust better. Yes! Definatly full costume pictures!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 5 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #18

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

K!77y, I may just have to steal the wings and Corset from you.

....and the caffine drink.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 5 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #19

I'm really really thinking about turning the corset into an underbust.... Or some sort of better looking demi cup.... lol

And the wings need some sort of filling tongue.gif

But I'm going to my friends house hopefully within the next week so I plan to fix that stuff over at her house.... la la la....

Thanks for the butterfly, Snugglebum o.0 I think happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Aug 5 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #20

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

They look fabulous, hon, really nice. I would've never been able to do all of that. Really great, and I can't wait to see the finished product biggrin.gif

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 5 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #21

I've been brainwashed

This is just a kind of random idea I came up with.
Have you ever thought of using this stuff to fill in the frame might be expensive and you'd probably need alot to fill in the large space but I think it'd look stunning.
Fantasy Film

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 5 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #22

Wow.... I've never seen anything like that before. Then again, I've never looked. I would love to use that stuff tongue.gif If I can find a reasonable place to procure it from then I'll definatley use that tongue.gif

I was acctually reading a tutorial on faerie wings that uses liquid scuply (liquidified polymer stuff I'm supposing?) but they would turn out way to brittle that way, but this stuff looks stronger....

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 6 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #23

My direction

Member No.: 495

Soooo pretty... I love that corset. Did you make or buy and alter or just buy?

How is it that it's impossible to get a corset in the UK and you guys have such pretty things? sad.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 7 2005, 03:51 AM
Post #24

Acctually I did make it myself, from scratch. I even made my own pattern (with help from a friend)

Link to pattern-making tutorial:

http://www.darkleather.com/corsetmaking2.htm

And obviously it wasnt instructions for over-bust.... which was the problem. The friend that was helping me didnt draft in the bust from a pre-made corset pattern like she did for her corset thus.... mine ending up wonky. It wouldnt have worked anyway.... its too short and I.... uumm, grew.... since I made the pattern.... o.o

I'm really thinking I should just turn it into underbust tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Aug 7 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #25

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

The wings look amazing as they are, but og course, putting some sort of skin over them will just top it.

I was thinking, would using say this plastic film stuff that can be clear and transpareant or coloured and transparant (bit like acetate, but not as thick, but thicker than clingfilm), with a load of PVA glue (maybe with some irredesent paint, or powder mixed into give it a pearly sheen) work? Or maybe tissue paper coated (again) in quite a few layers of PVA work? -Or would that be to delicate still?

And yease, piccies!

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2017 - 10:30 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!