Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hard Drive Difficulties...
gothictheysay
post Jul 27 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #1

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 959

All right, bear with me, I'm no computer expert. Last time our old computer bit the dust, we managed to get the hard drive on a "mass storage device" which connects by USB an a power cord to the power strip. It has been a good little device except for now... when I try to access it to open any file (I select it on the dropdown menu), it says that the file system is not recognizable and that it isn't formatted. Formatting it would erase everything on it... but it was formatted before this, I assume, because it worked just the other day. My only clue was that I was restarting the computer the other day and something I had never seen before popped up and said it had to check the drive or something. OK, I let it do that, takes half an hour. I don't remember if I accessed it with success since then.

Things I have done that did not solve the problem and were probably not going to but I have never encountered this problem before:

1. Restart computer
2. Try plugging it into another computer
3. Unplug/replug

No idea what to do next. Also, it is really hot(literally). It's been really hot and worked before, but something tells me that's not right anyhow. Shutting it off seems to cool it down, which I've done now. Well, if anyone has any idea, I'd love the help =\

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Jul 28 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Member No.: 346

Your MBR may be fudged,

You can run chkdsk, but it isn't the greatest.

You could also try popping the drive out of the external housing and mounting it inside a pc.

Do you have another drive of a suitable drive to take the contents off that disk when you manage to access it?

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jul 31 2005, 03:09 AM
Post #3

I have trouble running the version of chkdsk that I want because it's in .ex_ file and I don't know how to expand it. I also don't know how to mount the drive in the PC blush.gif Might have to take it to somewhere to get it repaired. I could most likely fit the contents of that drive on my other hard drive, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 1 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #4

This space intentionally left blank

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

Chkdsk can also be invoked by going in to "My Computer" and right clicking the relevant drive. Select "Properties" then look under the "Tools" tab for "Check This Drive For Errors."

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Aug 1 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #5

Yeah, unfortunately right-clicking or any clicking on the drive makes the program unresponsive and doesn't give me the right-click menu. But thanks still. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 2 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #6

Hmm. Scruttocks.

In the same directory as the compressed version of chkdsk there should be a file called Expand.exe. That'll be what you need to decompress it. Take a look through the options by typing
CODE
expand /?
and bloat that file to usability.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Aug 2 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #7

Well, after a few more... difficulties (I had the very helpful Oni just send me chkdsk.exe) I ran it through the command prompt, the only way I could successfully access it, and "The type of the file system is FAT32. Cannot read boot sector." I'm running Windows XP, and I understand that runs on NTFS. However, my drive should also be running on that, _I believe_ because although it was originally Windows ME (ack) it was upgraded to XP.

...fwargh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Aug 2 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #8

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Member No.: 346

Heh since I wrote that (and the reason I've been offline for a day) my hard drive died.. So I've frozen it, bashed it some and copied it data off to my new shiney 200GB Seagate the 8Mb cashe biggrin.gif

*strokes fast, quiet, (working) drive*

I don't think you can fix the boot sector over USB, you would need to plug it in to your IDE bus as far as I know.

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Aug 4 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #9

OK, I know for a fact all the IDEs are filled: two compact disc drives and two hard drives. I don't know if I can unplug one and plug in this one? Is that a good idea? Don't trust myself with this, so I might end up bringing it in, heh. But thanks everyone for help so far. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Aug 4 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #10

For the purpose of fixing the drive it'd be fine to just disconnect one of the CD drives temporarily for the IDE interface, then put it back once the drive is behaving.
It may well be worth using your XP disc to boot the machine to recovery mode, and seeing if you can get any joy by using Fixboot or Fixmbr. You can see examples of how to use them by looking them up in Windows help. If you get any life from it then consider using the Convert command to switch the drive to NTFS, as when upgrading from ME it quite possibly did leave it as FAT32.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 04:55 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!