IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> whats the best harry potter book?
whats the best harry potter book?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
mc joe
post Aug 4 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,926

harry potter kicks ass
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rob Lee n Joe
post Aug 4 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #2

PM Spammer

Member No.: 1,925

QUOTE (mc joe @ Aug 4 2005, 04:10 PM)
harry potter kicks ass

most of the books are very enjoyable

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Aug 4 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #3

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,105

Okay, your polls are getting out of hand you two (my bet is that they're the same person...)

Anyway. This definitely belongs in Media and there are numerous topics already there about Harry Potter.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
ravein
post Aug 4 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #4

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Aug 4 2005, 12:17 PM)
Okay, your polls are getting out of hand you two (my bet is that they're the same person...)

Anyway.  This definitely belongs in Media and there are numerous topics already there about Harry Potter.

You are correct in both cases. Topic moved to the correct forum.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
BlueOrange25
post Aug 12 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,950

I voted for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was the one I enjoyed the most, closely followed by the fourth and fifth in the series. I find the books enjoyable. Sure, they're not literary masterpieces, but they're not trying to be.

It's remarkable what J. K. Rowling has managed to achieve. The sheer numbers of books that she's managed to sell is mind boggling, and she's also managed to bring a whole generation of kids (some young and some old) into reading. This is quite a feat considering the seeming lack of interest some kids have for reading these days.

+Quote Post
Marriegold
post Aug 18 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #6

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,948

The first book. When you start reading and realise how good the books are it's the first book that keeps you reading (if it was not that good I wouldn't of bothered reading the next book that then came out).

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 18 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #7

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Personally I thought the first one was atrocious. I read it to see what all the fuss was about and didn't bother with any of the others for years. It was only when working in a store room one Christmas and having the audio books around that I listened to the next two which were a bit better. The first book is very much 'here's a chapter, and it has one event in it. There is the event. Now the chapter will end'... All the way through.

It's just as well that people disagree with me on this otherwise lots of kids would probably never have got into doing any reading (although there is some evidence to suggest that kids who only started with Harry Potter haven't then begun reading other books).

I recently listened to The Goblet of Fire and that had moments that were very well written, in particular the first chapter is a very tight, tense piece of writing. I found it very annoying that all through there was the mystery of 'who's trying to kill Harry?' and there was absolutely no way of guessing because Rowling left the vital clues out of the text, presumably to preserve the surprise. The trouble is that when you're lining up a surprise twist then you write in a particular style, but she wrote the book as a detective story without giving you all the clues. I found that really irritating and it marred the whole thing for me, which up to that point I had been really enjoying.

I'm currently listening to The Order Of The Phoenix, aka 'Isn't Harry being grumpy?', but I'm reserving judgement until I've got the end. Stephen Fry was a brilliant choice of reader on the audio books and makes even Rowling's stilted digalogue fun to listen to.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Aug 18 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #8

: P>

Member No.: 991

Ah, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't worship the Harry Potter series.

To be honest I haven't read the books, I've seen the films and found the plot and the world it was set in extremely annoying. Fantasy worlds are cool when they mesh together and seem coherent. Fantasy worlds which have talking hats (as one example) no good reason annoy and frustrate me.

I'm pretty sure it would be a waste of magic for a wizard to conjur up a talking hat purely for the sake of sorting pupils into houses (and I thought the pupils of Hogwarts were warned against unnecessary use of magic by their - clearly hypocritical - teachers) and since it's set in the modern age they could just use a computer instead.

I nulled my vote.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Aug 19 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #9

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

I found the first two books boring. The last one was alright and I dont remember book 4 and 5, so I voted 3. smile.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 19 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #10

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

Also nulled. I read the first two out of curiosity, and didn't find them anything special.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 19 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #11

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (moop @ Aug 18 2005, 07:15 PM)
I'm pretty sure it would be a waste of magic for a wizard to conjur up a talking hat purely for the sake of sorting pupils into houses (and I thought the pupils of Hogwarts were warned against unnecessary use of magic by their - clearly hypocritical - teachers) and since it's set in the modern age they could just use a computer instead.

I nulled my vote.

Y'see, if you don't read the books you miss out on a whole load of details. There are reasons for both of these, not to mention the fact that using a computer to sort kids into a house in a school of magic would be really...you know...LAME!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 19 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #12

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I nulled the vote. I quite enjoy the books, they're a bit of gentle reading. But I'm not exactly the greatest fan. It seems that in every book, Harry is going to face some form of Voldermort and win. That's why I enjoyed the 6th book most, it had a little twist and stopped it from getting too repetitive andmade it less 'episode'-ish.

Anyway, the reason for nulling the vote was because I couldn't decide which book to vote for. I enjoyed the 1st, 3rd and 6th most. The 1st because it was all new and the magic was still fun. As the books progressed the magic of it all became tedious and as if they were learning it solely for the purpose of whatever J K Rowling was going to make them do in that book. the 3rd book because it was just.. well.. fun and helped the plot progress. If any of that made sense...

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Aug 19 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Aug 19 2005, 01:16 PM)
There are reasons for both of these, not to mention the fact that using a computer to sort kids into a house in a school of magic would be really...you know...LAME!

Horribly convoluted logic?

And yes, it would be terribly terribly lame but so is the hat.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Aug 19 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #14

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,378

QUOTE (moop @ Aug 19 2005, 09:22 PM)
There are reasons for both of these, not to mention the fact that using a computer to sort kids into a house in a school of magic would be really...you know...LAME!

Talking hat = Win.

I'm not a massive fan of the books. I did enjoy them all up to Order of the Phoenix, but from there I just thought they went downhill. They're enjoyable yarns, but not literary classics.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 21 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #15

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

QUOTE (moop @ Aug 19 2005, 08:22 PM)

Yes but the hat can look inside their brains and choose the right house for them. But computers can't. Yet.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Aug 22 2005, 09:58 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Aug 21 2005, 01:26 PM)
Yes but the hat can look inside their brains and choose the right house for them. But computers can't. Yet.

I guess it'd be pretty hard for them to get that across in the movie.

I should read the books but I refuse to help JK Rowling's profits in any way whatsoever and frankly have better books to read.

I'll shut up now though. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Aug 23 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #17

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Personally, I liked the fifth book more than the others. The first 3 were okay but not that good, number 6 was too much like a film script and I can't vote for 4 because my (1st Edition) copy fell apart and I still hold it against them.

Of the films, I have only seen the first one and hated it so I didn't bother with the rest. The books are alright reading, they don't really deserve the reputation for brilliance that they have, but they are above average, light entertainment.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 26 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #18

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The first film was diabolically bad, but the combination of Christopher Columbus (the director, and yes that is his name) and JK Rowling's favourite phrase 'Harry/Ron/Hermione's mouth fell open' was always going to lead to a real stinker.

The second one is moderately better, but the book was a big improvement over the first one too, so even though the direction was still appalling it was at least moderately enjoyable.

The third film actually has a decent director (Alfonso Cuarón) and a good story to work with. It's got some camera work that is really very beautiful (the Prof Lupin/Harry conversation on the bridge in particular has a truly wonderful tracking shot) and generally there is a far more sinister tone to the whole shebang. I'd say that if you get the chance then there are far worse things to while away a few hours with.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Mittens322
post Sep 7 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #19

Hoo-ha!

Member No.: 1,929

I found the first one to be completely lame. If I didn't start reading the series with #2, I probably wouldn't have read the rest. As for #3, It's not really the best, but #4 was deffinatly better. I chose #5. It completly twisted the plot around, and now Fred and George dropped out, the schools in mahem, and Peeves is on a rampage. As for the sixth one, I havn't read it yet, but I hear Dumbledore dies, and thats very dissapointing...

--------------------
Been to the funny farm lately? I have!
FF doesn't mean Final Fantasy.
!SLIPKNOT RULES! KoRn, too.
Go to hell.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 04:40 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!