> The State of British Television, Reality Tv, Crap Soaps, Cooking, DIY etc
Robcharles
post Aug 17 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #1

Novice Guppy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,955

Hello Folks

Firstly you don't know me and I don't know any of you but before you start to wonder who am I, I am just an ordinary member of the British Public like yourselves. Secondly I thought I would leave this message on here on the off chance to see what everyones pet hates are on television because television is in a disgraceful state right now.

My website is now complete and ready for you all to look at properly.

Please click on - My Webpage

Please read the main page of my website first before considering doing anything else.

Thanks

Yours faithfully

Robert
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aldis
post Aug 17 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #2

Super advanced member

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,946

I do not think British TV is has declined in any significant way (For it remained as insipid as ever)… the Duopoly (Murdoch and Bush House) serves the Establishment in it’s nauseating way…State run UK TV lacks the rigorous “correct” journalism of Germans (But it’s definitely ahead of most of continental State Tubes), or vigorous rough and tumble free market buccaneering of American ones. (Most of the American fare is unpalatable for minimally erudite person though …)

Besides, who need better TV?? If you are addicted to it you are couch potato anyway.. Don’t you have Cable TV??? Then world is at you fingertip… be a global surfer .. not nit-picking parochial Brit. It’s time Brits know there more than fish, chip and haggis in the global fare……..

Don’t let Murdoch or anybody take your goat.. take your remote control and the world is yours….

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Aug 17 2005, 05:10 AM
Post #3

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

Thanks mate, I needed a good laugh. You want to first get rid of ITV then start putting old shows back on it? Good one!

And you can't have my BBC3, I likes it too much!

Also, BBC News 24 is by far the best full time news channel on the air. It's also free to watch unlike other 24hr news channels, so why the heck do you want rid of it? Channel 5, though a bit naff, has the best selection of Jean Claude Van Damme movies on any channels tongue.gif

Long story short, lmfao... XD

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 17 2005, 06:49 AM
Post #4

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I _love_ DIY programs! And all thouse house and garden improvement shows like Ground Force. Don't get me onto the 'how to-' programs. You learn a new skill everyday.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Aug 17 2005, 07:58 AM
Post #5

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Axe BBC-3, BBC-4, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, CBBC Channel and C Beebies Altogether

Rubbish. Nothing wrong with any of those channels. BBC News 24 is extremely useful, and while you may have no interest in the workings of Parliament, some of us would like to know what's going on, actually.

Axe Channel 4 and Channel 5 Altogether

They're privately-owned channels. Nothing to do with the BBC. As such, nobody has the authority to "axe" them. You might as well ask the BBC to "axe" McDonald's. Anyway, Lost just started!

Axe ITV-2 and ITV-3 Altogether

See above - they're private channels.

Axe All the Current Daytime Television Programmes on both BBC-1 and  ITV-1 and then use the Daytime on both BBC-1 and ITV-1 to Repeat All the Old Quality Programmes that were on BBC-1 and ITV-1 Years Ago at Prime Time

"Axe The Present, Resurrect The Past"? Nice petition, King Canute.

Axe Bad Girls and Footballers Wives Altogether

Gosh, is Bad Girls back on? I loved that...

Axe Eastenders Altogether and Do Not Repeat Not Resurrect it in any Aspect or Form Whatsoever

While I admire the sentiment, watch out for the lynch mob.

Reading through the rest of the site, you seem not to know how television works in some cases. Nobody can "move" shows from Channels 4 and 5 to the BBC 1 and 2, because Channels 4 and 5 own the rights to those shows. They're privately owned and have no relation to the BBC whatsoever. I also had a laugh at "Please take this petition very seriously", as if you know from writing it that it's a doomed endeavour.

What you've simply done, here, is made an effort to get rid of everything you don't like on TV, and replace it with everything you do like. Sadly, television was not invented for your own personal enjoyment, and the rest of Britain would quite like to watch it as well...

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Aug 17 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #6

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

I still reckon lmfao covers it well enough tongue.gif

/spam

Never was a fan of bad girls meself, couldn't get into it at all... despite the title.

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Aug 17 2005, 08:36 AM
Post #7

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Jeez dude. You need to get cable. Most of the shows you want brought back are already being repeated. Challenge TV has all the old 80s gameshows you want to see.

The only useful piece of information I gathered from your site was that you have rubbish taste in TV laugh.gif

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Aug 17 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #8

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

You fool!

You foolish fool!

I am not British!

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 17 2005, 01:59 PM
Post #9

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Aug 17 2005, 07:58 AM)
Axe Channel 4 and Channel 5 Altogether

They're privately-owned channels. Nothing to do with the BBC. As such, nobody has the authority to "axe" them. You might as well ask the BBC to "axe" McDonald's. Anyway, Lost just started!

As I understand it, Channel 4 is partially subsidised by licence fee's, though that could be just the Welsh one S4C.

Anyway, your suggestions, to me seem to be entirely self serving, just because you don't like what's on tele, it doesn't mean no one else does. They have to cater to the masses and if they weren't succeding to entertain the majority of people then they would have to change, as they're not, it would seem to suggest they're doing just fine as it is. Still, it's nice to see that the old British pass time of complaining about everything and anything is still alive and kicking.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Daedalus
post Aug 17 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #10

Pretend you didn't notice

Member No.: 556

The reason they introduced those channels is so that they can appeal to a wider audience. By keeping most of the programmes you don't like on the new channels you can watch your terrestrial TV without your viewing being interrupted by stuff you don't like.

*grumbles*

Daily Mail reading Tory.

--------------------
I wub snoo

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 17 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #11

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

Personally I liked how one of the petitions was addressed, "To: The Queen".

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 17 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #12

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Aug 17 2005, 03:24 PM)
Personally I liked how one of the petitions was addressed, "To: The Queen".

The Queen, not only the head of the Church and State, but head of the BBC, ITV and Channels 4 and 5! CLEARLY!!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Aug 18 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #13

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

It sounds like your asking a lot out of British public television and some of your suggestions seem ludicrous, particularly the one that equates to PBS and public access channels getting rid of CBS and ABC.

Here's some advice: If you dislike TV, don't watch it. It's quite liberating. I haven't watched the idiot box consistantly for going on three years and I'm happy about it. I find most of television shameful at worst and laughable at best and I never worry about what's on. If you're that pissed off at it, then forsake it altogether.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 09:35 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!