IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ad-Aware And...., Is my poor compy going to die?!
Kitty
post Aug 17 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Professionally Unprofessional

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 580

I run ad-aware as often as I think of it (maybe once a month unless my computer starts running really really slow) and sometimes I'll run spybot search and destroy because it tends to find different problems. I just flipped out right now because I'm running ad-aware and my 'process modules' is up to 1,344 and I'm not sure if thats 'normal' or 'okay'. I never remember it being that high before. Other than that my "Running Proccesses" is only 24 which seems to be alright.

I'm just wondering if having it say I have 1,344 process modules is a bad thing cuz it certainly doesnt seem to be good. That and my computer has been running rather slow lately and I get random popups sometimes (happens to be while I'm on Matazone so it might just be me unknowingly clicking a sidebanner *coughgrrcough*)

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 17 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I've got 1935 process modules, so don't worry about that number.

There are no pop-ups on Matazone, so that sounds like you've got something in your machine. Manually check that Ad-Aware is using the latest definitions by using the 'check for updates now' link on the front page of the software then do a full system scan, not just a smart system scan.

If that still comes up clean then boot up Internet Explorer (if you're not already using it) and go over to http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan and get that to do a full scan of your machine. There have been a couple of worms come out in the last few days that are causing big problems for many major systems, so you'll need an up-to-date virus checker to find those. Trend's online scan is free and easy to use, just follow the instructions on screen and let it run for a few hours.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 18 2005, 01:58 AM
Post #3

I loaded new updates on Ad-Aware and ran it and got some stuff that refuses to go away (cookies and MRU thingy?) And ran the Housecall thing and nothing showed up soo, I dunno. It could be what Ad-Aware keeps turning up but that wont go awaayy....

This machine just sucks. It needs to be trashed. It still has a pentium1 processor.... o.o;

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 18 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #4

Cookies are small pieces of information used by websites to track various things. These forums use a cookie to store your login information, so that's one that you want, advertising companies use cookies to track how often you've seen their adverts, which isn't so good. Ad-Aware can usually tell the difference so will suggest you delete the bad ones.

The MRU list is a selection of things that don't really pose any threat to your machine but if you're massively obsessed with privacy you can delete. It's usually things like the recent playlist on your media player and other fairly innocuous stuff. Nothing to be worried about.

If you have a Pentium1 then that would explain why the machine runs slowly! I'm a bit surprised that it can run current software at all!

Ah... I remember the days when a Pentium1 was amazing...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 18 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #5

*laughs* Running Microsoft 2000. And not really much else. AIM, MSN, my webcam software.... and winamp/quicktime. It does fine with it all x.X; ANd it use to do fine with my internet! Guess not anymore. It might acctually be a problem with Comcast but if it is then they have alot of fixing to do cuz its been like this for a few months atleast tongue.gif

Pentium1 processors arent _that_ bad tongue.gif.... Its sad though when even the schools with the least amount of money around here have a better computer than me x.X;

Though, we have maybe 8 other computers (good ones tongue.gif )in this house that I could use if need be, and mine use to be the only one that would print o.0

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 18 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #6

Win 2k is probably the best operating system that Windows have released, so stick with that for as long as you can!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 18 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #7

I like it tongue.gif The other computer I use sometimes (mostly for editing photos and scanning things) Is running XP and I dont really like it. Theres too much _stuff_.
Example: when you stick a CD in it opens a window automatically asking what you want to do with it and though it seems to be a good idea it gets rather annoying after a while

(theres probably a way to turn that option off but its not my computer so I'm not allowed)

Though, despite the odds, XP seems to be the most popular. Its what the school runs. Though it might be because of its trendy look and we have trendy looking Dell computers. This is what I get for going to a new school that happens to have the technology program for our county....

This thread is now totally off topic.... whoooopps.

/blabbering rant.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 18 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #8

It's just that XP is the most recent OS and Microsoft pretty much forces people to buy the most recent one whenever it becomes available. Many people would have preferred to stay with 2k but software support for it is becoming less comon these days, although it's better than many 5 year-old OSs, which is a testament to how good it really was.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 19 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #9

Microsoft is the evil empire!!!

Hadda get that out. tongue.gif

Anyhow, how much software support do you need?

Edit: Something is still wrong though because I clicked the link to your forums just now and IE totally attacked with creepy website popups that said "you must click 'ok' to continue" upon which McCafee (sp?) Zoomed up behind it and tackled it and told me "NO DONT DO IT!!!" Being caught between the pressure and seeing the word 'Trojan" across McCafee's board I decided to use the trusty Control-Alt-Delete sequence to pull up my friend Task Manager who succeeded in helping me close the dreaded IE Trojan problem, though I fear its still lurking in the distance.

Okay.... my creative writing might need a little help.... but its 6 in the morning and I havent had my coffee! mad.gif

So I dont know whats wrong, my virus scan is constantly running and never told me of any problems, ad-aware is seemingly useless these days and the household60 thing did nothing too. Doot doot.... maybe my computer is forever doomed to have problems.

I had had to reformat my harddrive about 3 times in the past 6 months and I'm still having problems

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 19 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #10

I've had a word with my advertising guy, just to check:

You shouldn’t be seeing any pop up or pop under ads!  We've only opted into banners and skies and set those to filter out audio, extreme animation and interruptive formats.

So that's pretty clear.

Have you tried Spybot? There's more info about it in this thread http://www.matazone.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=13073

Give your machine a run through with that and use the immunisation facility too. Spybot sometimes picks up things that Ad-Adware doesn't.

You also might want to consider changing over to using Firefox http://www.getfirefox.com . It's like IE, but with better security. You can install various extensions to make it more useful for the way that you want to use the web too. About 98% of websites work perfectly with it, but a few will still cause problems so you can install an extension called IEview which allows you to right-click and open that page in IE. There are various threads about Firefox so I won't go into that further.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 19 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #11

Yea I do a Spybot scan every once in a while too. For some reason I have a feeling it wont find anything but I'll run it again anyway just to be safe tongue.gif

And it seems everyone has been switching to Firefox (or atleast anyone who knows anything about computers and whats good for them) and the only reason I havent done so is because I'm too lazy and didnt think it would make much of a difference becuse I dont usually surf the web except Matazone.

But I suppose I'll switch over today tongue.gif

I had my coffee, by the way, so no more strange creative writing entries....

BTW, your advertising guy sounds helpful smile.gif

Edit: LOVE FIREFOX!!! Its fast! Heh!

Going back to why my computer is slow. I dont have a partition on my harddrive and am wondering if it would help to have one. It use to be set up so that I'd have any .exe's on one partition and everything else on the othe and it seemed to work better but it could be my imagination. Opinion?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 19 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #12

Now you're getting deeper into geek territory than I commonly stray. From what I can remember, Win 2k does like having a partition, but it's not so necessary for XP.

Which reminds me of something else. When's the last time you defragmented your hard-drive? That can also lower performance significantly if you've not done it for a while.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 19 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #13

Errr....

Defragment?

Heh-heh....

*coughs and wanders back into computer land to fix more stuff*

Edit: I forgot that I dont really have much on my computer. About 4gb of stuff when I have 100gb of harddrive space.... but I'm running it anyway, theres barely any defragmented files but its fixing them tongue.gif

*feels like putting more stuff on comp just for the hell of it*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 21 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #14

Even if you don't have many files it's still a good idea to defrag your drive quite regularly. Files get spread all over the place, and the more places they go into the harder it is for the PC to put them all together and get them working efficiently. My PC has in the past got to a point where it was crashing simply because I hadn't defragged the hard drive ever and it was bringing up errors all the time because it was so difficult to reassemble files!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 21 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #15

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

QUOTE (K!77y @ Aug 19 2005, 11:08 AM)
Going back to why my computer is slow. I dont have a partition on my harddrive and am wondering if it would help to have one. It use to be set up so that I'd have any .exe's on one partition and everything else on the othe and it seemed to work better but it could be my imagination. Opinion?

I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the subject, but as far as I'm aware, the only advantage of having multiple partitions is that you can have two or more different file systems on one drive. In fact, I would think that doing that actually slows your computer down, as the read head has to move to father out tracks when there's still unused ones nearer the center of the disk.

I was also under the impression (unless I have my terminology mixed up) that you have to have a partition, and that the partition is what you format. Just the partition is the same size as your hard drive. The partition is what you are looking at in My Computer, only it calls it a hard drive. Two partitions would mean it would show you two hard drives, although in actuality there may only be one physical one.

In conclusion, assuming I don't have things screwed up in my head that is, having multiple partitions on your drive would probably not help.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 22 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #16

As far as I know when you format your drive and you dont format it to have a partition there is no partition at all. And I know that in my really crappy computer class this year when we did a runthrough of how to load Win98, and we did a partition, that it was something that was commonly done. Though my teacher didnt explain benifits of it. And I know before I got ahold of this computer it had a partition and all my EXE files and such were on a different partition though I was never told why tongue.gif

SO! I guess none of us really know anything at this point tongue.gif But I really dont feel like adding a partition into my harddrive anyway and I'm rather tired of finding my Win2K disk and to do the partition I would have to figure out why my CDRom drive isnt working and EEP!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 22 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #17

It sounds like it might be time to consider getting a new computer, or at least upgrading a fair number of things on that one!

I'm pretty sure that with old operating systems there was a good reason to partition your hard-drive, but I really can't remember what it was. I think it was supposed to help prevent the drive corrupting, but I don't know why.

Well, if you've run all of these checks and defragged your drive and you've come up blank then it must mean that there's something running that's using up too much memory. Open up task manager and have a look at the running processes, especially when it slows down. Have a look to see if there is something that's using up loads of processor time. *running out of ideas*

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 22 2005, 02:02 PM
Post #18

There is quite a bit of video showing thingamajiggers that feel the need to take up my start menu bar.... I should just uninstall them because I really dont use anything other than quicktime....

I think that was most of what was taking up CPU last time I checked but I'll do it again. My comp isnt that bad off tongue.gif Its just old.... and the Rom drive is acctually new, it just doesnt like my computer (I think its the power supply going to it acctually) so I need to open up this hunk of junk and mess around a bit....

The problem is my room is so cluttered right now I really dont feel like moving things around so I can work on my comp x.X;

Sigh, alas, things need to be done *gets to cleaning and figuring out whats using so much CPU*

BTW: It is running alot better tongue.gif

Edit: I ended up going to lunch with my Dad's coworkers (a bunch of computer geeks for Northrop Grumman) And I asked if I should have a partition and they said "you do, you have to" Which means Greeneyes was right tongue.gif They also said that partitions were more for older programs (DOS) and that on a newer one that it wouldnt make too much of a difference. Then some other guy said that if you have your main programs on a seperate partition then it might run better which leads me to believe they dont really know what they're talking about, either.

So much for being computer geeks....

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 12:03 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!